• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

The Wii U VC suffered greatly next to the Wii's from lack of third-party buy-in, which the Wii VC had in spades. Hopefully this isn't a one-off and Nintendo is managing to turn this around.

Did I miss something about this? This is the first I've heard about retro online support, notwithstanding fresh remasters for the Switch like Ultra Street Fighter II.
they really need sega on board.

Pinky

Banned
Good to hear! One immediate concern I'm having with the VC on Switch is the lack of a legit d-pad on the left joy-con. Yeah, there is the pro controller, but that sucker is $70!!! I really hope they have a solution for this. I do not want to buy a pro controller at launch.

Edit: Maybe they release a left joy-con w/ d-pad specifically for VC games? That way, you can purchase just the left joy-con for around $40 instead of shelling out $80 for left & right.

EDarkness

I REALLY hope these get announced for the U.S. I want to play Mark of the Wolves. Though, I always hoped that they would bring over Far East of Eden. Is that even available in English anywhere?

Kalopsia

Neo Member
Local Co-Op Shock Troopers & Metal Slug on the Switch is going to be a blast.

Hope they can lock down some of the other Neo Geo Classics. I'd love to play Wind Jammers on this thing.

EDarkness

great to hear

little bit offtopic but did we hear anything on Dreamcast VC?

Nothing yet. I think they're going to do a VC Direct and talk about games coming to that system and how it's all gonna work. Just my opinion, though. Would be nice to have Dreamcast games on the system, too.

Rncewind

Nothing yet. I think they're going to do a VC Direct and talk about games coming to that system and how it's all gonna work. Just my opinion, though. Would be nice to have Dreamcast games on the system, too.

yeah for sure, i also wanna play Shenmue 1 and 2 before 3

meppi

Gonna end up buying every single one of these as always.

Now give us:

Twinkle Star Sprites

0j09mLZ.jpg

Money Idol Exchanger

7F5ed6D.jpg

Magical Drop 2/3

yRdL9fm.jpg

I am cursed to buy these over and over again for eternity.

At least I'm not alone. lol

Also Limited Run Games, you know what to do now! :D

Phoenixus

what?! i didn't even realise this was a possibility!

would buy every game if this were to happen..

on topic, will obviously buy these neo geo games for the switch, whatever form they come in

The thing people missed about the switch unveiling is that Nintendo couldn't talk about region-specific detailing too conclusively because it was hosted in Japan. That's why it took so long to find out the retail launch lists, and even they aren't set in stone. Each region will have to clarify their eshop and VC release lists closer to the launch time, most likely though Nintendo directs.

EDarkness

The thing people missed about the switch unveiling is that Nintendo couldn't talk about region-specific detailing too conclusively because it was hosted in Japan. That's why it took so long to find out the retail launch lists, and even they aren't set in stone. Each region will have to clarify their eshop and VC release lists closer to the launch time, most likely though Nintendo directs.

Yeah. There's a Fire Emblem direct this week, so I think we'll be getting a number of directs between now and the launch day. So there's the possibility of anything being announced before then.

mollipen

I'm a little suspicious of these announcements, because so far Hamster's NeoGeo efforts have been starting at the beginning of franchises, not with the popular entries. So far on PS4's Arcade Archives, we've gotten stuff like KOF'94, Fatal Fury, and Metal Slug.

Unless they're suddenly making a change of plans, which I wouldn't at all be opposed to.

Coda

Shock Troopers is great. I'll probably buy Metal Slug 3 again too but I feel like I must have bought that game at least 10 times by now.

ChanoMarrano

Neo Member
Sorry for the bump, but anyone has tested any of these games on a Switch?

How are the ports (screen options, joycons response, etc)?

ChanoMarrano

Neo Member
Well, I got Shock Troopers :D

The port has, among other things:
- Hi-score mode.
- Caravan mode (hi-score mode in 5 minutes).
- Save states.
- Custom aspect ratio.
- Tate mode.
- A lot of scanlines modes.
- Extended screen (more fov than the original game).
- Original arcade options (difficulty, violence, language).
- Control options.
- Manual.
- Online ranking.

Good port, shame of the lack of a proper d-pad.

Kosen

Neo Member

- Hi-score mode.
- Save states.
- Custom aspect ratio.
- Tate mode.
- Control options.
- Manual.
- Online ranking.

Can you play with only one joy-con? Being able to play 2P games like Metal Slug or Waku Waku 7 out of the box would be GREAT

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

- Hi-score mode.
- Save states.
- Custom aspect ratio.
- Tate mode.
- Control options.
- Manual.
- Online ranking.

Much more efforts than I expected 0_o

Thanks for this feedback I'm getting Kof 98 and Metal Slug 3 then!

ChanoMarrano

Neo Member
Can you play with only one joy-con? Being able to play 2P games like Metal Slug or Waku Waku 7 out of the box would be GREAT

Yes, but I don't know how to switch (ehem) the controllers to multi mode (one joycon per player), I have to load Snipperclips to change joycons mode before loading Shock Troopers.

Edit: Shit, the option is in the home screen u_u

- Hi-score mode.
- Save states.
- Custom aspect ratio.
- Tate mode.
- Control options.
- Manual.
- Online ranking.

Whoa sounds amazing, I haven't played any Neo Geo games before so I'll be grabbing most if not all of these over time. Happy to see they're good.

dock

- Custom aspect ratio.
Wow! I did not expect this. I thought they were basically just ROMs.
Is extended FOV possible on any of the emulators, or did they deconstruct the Neo Geo games to make this work?!

- Hi-score mode.
- Save states.
- Custom aspect ratio.
- Tate mode.
- Control options.
- Manual.
- Online ranking.

Raaaaaad. Yeah we're gonna need a proper dpad joycon stat.

Top Bottom