• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPhone accounted for 78% of AT&T smartphone activations in Q1 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprint is great in the DC area. Their coverage is everywhere. Plus if you do roam, you pick up the Verizon network for free.

It's either an iPhone or a Droid amongst my circles. Verizon really won a lot of mindshare with that monicker, likely to Sprint/AT&Ts chagrin.

I dunno about that, everyone i know that says 'droid' means any android phone, not just Verizon... they all know Droid has apps like facebook and bank of america, etc...

If I'm not in a major city or explicitly on the highway Sprint's coverage sucks. Granted if I wasn't traveling around it wouldn't be an issue, but I do so it's a no go.

Main deal is I want something that works at the Family Lake House so that means like most "back roads" in GA you gotta have Verizon or AT&T. I'm on an ATT Family plan right now, but I could maybe see myself switching to Verizon at some point. Both honestly have similar LTE coverage down here from what I've seen.

i'm in south GA and if you don't have Sprint or Verizon, you're screwed... i still remember my bro was like "turn on wifi tethering, i wanna get online with my iPad" and i was like "why don't you tether with your iPhone?" (he has AT&T) "no bars"

it really depends on area, i've been up and down the east coast and i've had signal 99% of the time with Sprint...

rozay

Banned
I can't find the iOS thread and I figure there are plenty of iPhone owners in here.

Are the $20-30 iPhone 4 glass screens with digitizers and LCDs attached being sold on eBay the real deal IPS screens? any differences to OEM parts?

I can't find the iOS thread and I figure there are plenty of iPhone owners in here.

Are the $20-30 iPhone 4 glass screens with digitizers and LCDs attached being sold on eBay the real deal IPS screens? any differences to OEM parts?

have you seen the instructions on replacing a broken LCD on an iPhone 4?

mckmas8808

Banned
Later this year is going to be very interesting. When the iPhone 5 comes out, the iPhone 4 is going to become the "free" iPhone. If Joe and Jane Doe walk into a Verizon store looking to buy new phones for their kids, do you think they're going to choose the iPhone 4 or some LG Optimus phone?

Depends on what they like. There's a reason Android is leading right now.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
3G speed depends on where you live.

The only constant seems to be that AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile are all terrible in the Loop.

Very true in Verizon's case. Live in downtown H-town and the network gets congested as hell. Go out to the country where there's barely any signal and everything loads and streams very fast.

*reads the topic title*

holy shit.

iPhone 5. That's all I have to say

It's because it's available on more carriers, has super cheap/free models, and is often pushed by the dudes in retail shops because they most likely get a better cut on the phones.
perhaps.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on what they like. There's a reason Android is leading right now.

It's because it's available on more carriers, has super cheap/free models, and is often pushed by the dudes in retail shops because they most likely get a better cut on the phones. I imagine the free 3GS model is a big part of the 78% figure in question.

Later this year is going to be very interesting. When the iPhone 5 comes out, the iPhone 4 is going to become the "free" iPhone. If Joe and Jane Doe walk into a Verizon store looking to buy new phones for their kids, do you think they're going to choose the iPhone 4 or some LG Optimus phone?

a free iPhone 4 is a crazy good deal if Apple keeps with their current trend. Dang.

If only data plans would come down in price. No way that happens though.

Tobor

A free iPhone 4, $99 4S, and $199 New iPhone, starting in October. I don't see how this sales trend changes through next year.

sk3

Banned
Sprint is great in the DC area. Their coverage is everywhere. Plus if you do roam, you pick up the Verizon network for free.
Sprint sucks terribly in Detroit, but then again it is Detroit. I stick with them because I get unlimited everything for $50 and I get good speeds at my house. But at work, near the stadiums and downtown I don't get 3G.

And deservedly so

<3 my Iphone4

This. I fucking love my iPhone 4. I ain't even gonna bullshit. I'll never buy a Samsung phone on principle again after:
scaledinstinct_fun_menu_high_res.jpg

Getting my iPhone 3G was such a breath of fresh air. But it had it's shortcomings. My iPhone was just everything I wanted in terms of hardware and apps. Really is fairly intuitive. Some may call it simple and that's fine...I'll gladly enjoy it.

AT&T on the other hand in NYC is a steaming pile of shit :(

Burai

shitonmychest57
"B-b-but the iPhone 4S is a shitty, half-assed update! The company is doomed now Steve Jobs is gone!"

Al-ibn Kermit

A free iPhone 4, $99 4S, and $199 New iPhone, starting in October. I don't see how this sales trend changes through next year.

So you do think android will continue to outsell iphone? I'm confused.

Actually one problem is that the next iphone will have LTE. Some consumers may be a bit more conflicted than they normally would be about getting last year's model if it doesn't have 4G, which carriers love to market as a necessity. That could cave the sales of the low end models leaving android that niche, again.

Tobor

So you do think android will continue to outsell iphone? I'm confused.

Actually one problem is that the next iphone will have LTE. Some consumers may be a bit more conflicted than they normally would be about getting last year's model if it doesn't have 4G, which carriers love to market as a necessity. That could cave the sales of the low end models leaving android that niche, again.

We're discussing US sales. AT&T is an American company. They just announced that 3/4 of it's smartphone sales were iPhone. A trend that I expect to continue next year.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The type of people you're talking about will try typing on a 3.5 inch phone vs a 4.3 inch phone and make their decision immediately.

Screen size is far more important than OS to most non-technosexual smartphones users that I know.

They surely will make their decision. For iPhone, apparently, since 78% of people buying AT&T phones bought them.

Al-ibn Kermit

We're discussing US sales. AT&T is an American company. They just announced that 3/4 of it's smartphone sales were iPhone. A trend that I expect to continue next year.

Yes we are discussing US sales, Android has about 50% of the US smartphone market while iOS is around 30%.

I find it more believable that these sales go in waves rather than that Android actually reversed its overall momentum.

They surely will make their decision. For iPhone, apparently, since 78% of people buying AT&T phones bought them.

My point was that people usually prefer a phone with a bigger screen than 3.5 inches, assuming everything else is equal (operating system, brand name, etc). This is just bases off of my personal experience of seeing how hard most people find it to start typing on a touchscreen.

numble

Yes we are discussing US sales, Android has about 50% of the US smartphone market while iOS is around 30%.

I find it more believable that these sales go in waves rather than that Android actually reversed its overall momentum.
This is the first time the new iPhone has launched on 3 major carriers, and for the past 6 months at least, it is on top at AT&T and Verizon. They still only offer the free iPhone exclusively on AT&T, which may be why it has more iPhone sales than Verizon, even though Verizon is a larger carrier, but will likely offer a free iPhone on those 3 carriers later this year. iPhone just got added to 5 regional carriers this month (not a part of the quarterly results just announced). They will also possibly go to TMobile. How long will the wave last? If it is just every 6 months, that's still half the year where iPhone sales do better.

antonz

You go into AT&T and the clerks practically shove an Iphone into your hands, mouth and ass regardless of what you are looking for. AT&T makes big deals with apple and need to push the thing like its solid gold

Lunchbox

Banned
the greatest achievement in human history since the space shuttle

deserves every penny

ill be in line for the 5 in october steve

hey att president, the iphone accounts for 78% of your sales, what phone do you use?

ATT-CEO-Lumia-900-white-620x348.jpg

they're thinking about margins, dogg. at this point, they sell the iPhone damn near because they have to. they're paying 2x as much in subsidies for iPhones than they are for Android phones. On each phone. AND Apple has forced a deal where they have to buy a minimum number of phones. AT&T would love for *any* competing OS/phone to catch fire, because they'd be in a better position to negotiate future terms with Apple.

Part of the reason carriers are losing money is because of all the cash they have to pay Apple for each phone. So yes, you'll see AT&T's CEO smiling with Windows phones and Android phones as much as possible.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
How much data do you people with unlimited plans actually end up using a month? Even with my limited data plan I still never really use more than a gig or two on the iPhone.

knitoe

How much data do you people with unlimited plans actually end up using a month? Even with my limited data plan I still never really use more than a gig or two on the iPhone.

Normally, with wifi, I stay well under 1GB. For the past 23 days without wifi, I am over 3GB and counting. I am surprise its that high since I don't tether or stream stuff. I mostly just browse, and once in awhile, watch same YouTube videos.

Netflix + Google Music. And that's with Sprint's POS 3G speeds.

I like the peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom