• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if SI talks verbally or just uses the environment in order to get his message across. It would be funny if the SI posted a gif on some billboard if you end up doing something stupid.

Brainboy

Trasher said:
I'm guessing he isn't as sophisticated as a Cortana AI. His primary job is probably to watch over the city and keep tabs on what's going on. Turning lights on, alerting the people in the city of any danger, traffic lights, etc.

I agree. But I'm sure his surveillance functionality would be mighty useful in a more stealth-oriented game.

Who really knows though, I'm just throwing out the idea. It could be really cool though if he will practically light your way and guide you through the city the way he did with the ODST at the end of the trailer. I wonder what sort of cool scenarios Bungie has come up with that involve him helping you and your squad during battles, or just helping you get around enemies in a stealthy fashion.

Indeed. I'm excited to see what they've come up with. I assume a lot of the battles are going to be a lot more close-quarters. Reminds me a little bit of the beginning of Outskirts in Halo 2, except darker and more focused on stealth.

Trasher

got2bekidding said:
I wonder if SI talks verbally or just uses the environment in order to get his message across. It would be funny if the SI posted a gif on some billboard if you end up doing something stupid.
Yeah, I'm kind of liking the idea of having the SI be completely non-verbal. Who knows though, he may speak, but I think it would be much cooler if his only way of conversing with you is through texts or images.

While I was taking a shit, I thought of a follow up concerning my "gif theory". I kind of hope the SI has a humorous side. With it being what I must assume is a machine, will it have that type of AI or will it be just a hum-drum-run-of-the-mill type of robot. Maybe some unintentional humor could be expected on it's part. I don't know, I'm just really curious about how it's all going to play out.

Trasher

got2bekidding said:
While I was taking a shit, I thought of a follow up concerning my "gif theory". I kind of hope the SI has a humorous side. With it being what I must assume is a machine, will it have that type of AI or will it be just a hum-drum-run-of-the-mill type of robot. Maybe some unintentional humor could be expected on it's part. I don't know, I'm just really curious about how it's all going to play out.
It would be very cool if he was humorous by accident or whatever. I definitely can see Bungie pulling it off. R2-D2 humor etc.

Exactly! Please make it happen Bungie. :D

On a sad note, I really suck at this game now. It's such a piss off. Plus getting teabagged isn't helping.

edit: Oh nice, I upped my looking speed and can do better. Fuck I forgot about all that!

Brainboy

Honestly, I can't see the maps getting released only as late as Fall 2009. I mean, they've shown off a near-complete Assembly, no? Also, why would the map achievements be in Halo 3 if the maps are going to be released with (the stand-alone game) Halo 3 Recon? It doesn't really make much sense.

Brainboy said:
Honestly, I can't see the maps getting released only as late as Fall 2009. I mean, they've shown off a near-complete Assembly, no? Also, why would the map achievements be in Halo 3 if the maps are going to be released with (the stand-alone game) Halo 3 Recon? It doesn't really make much sense.
What you say makes sense though. Seems to at least.

Sibylus

Banned
"Halo: Blue" showed up on store databases for release this year, correct? If so, it may not be out of the bounds of reason to suggest Blue is one map-pack coming out this year, with the other maps coming out around Fall 2009.

Walshicus

EazyB said:
I'll be very sad if we don't see Sandbox until Fall 09
Hah, same sentiment here. Could really do with some new multiplayer maps to reinvigorate the old crowd.

And OT: Just got a PS3. Beyond!
My older brother dropped off the unit he bought on launch but couldn't eBay. Sitting a bit sad in the corner though. Don't think it's been opened yet.

Sean

Banned
Brainboy said:

That's true, but Assembly has already been held back for nearly a year. I remember it was originally supposed to be a Heroic map, then pulled and moved to Legendary, and then removed from (swapped out of) the Legendary map pack.

EazyB

Banned
Brainboy said:
You make a good point, I'm definitely going to take the Fall 09 DLC date with a grain of salt until I hear about it from Bungie. Friday will work for me.
Sean said:
That's true, but Assembly has already been held back for nearly a year. I remember it was originally supposed to be a Heroic map, then pulled and moved to Legendary, and then removed from (swapped out of) the Legendary map pack.
Talking with Dan he said it was originally designed to be dome shaped but they went back and made it into a bowl. It's true they've been working on the map since Halo 3 launched but that particular map's delays don't seem to have anything to do with pushing it back for another SKU's release.
Sir Fragula said:
My older brother dropped off the unit he bought on launch but couldn't eBay. Sitting a bit sad in the corner though. Don't think it's been opened yet.
Got mine for free along with an extra controller (one's a sixaxis though) and MGS4. LBP was the only reason I planned to buy it but now that it's fallin into my lap, I'll use the extra money on some PS3 games.

Can't Fucking wait for LBP!!!

Trasher

EazyB said:
Got mine for free along with an extra controller (one's a sixaxis though) and MGS4. LBP was the only reason I planned to buy it but now that it's fallin into my lap, I'll use the extra money on some PS3 games.

Can't Fucking wait for LBP!!!
That's the only way I'm getting a PS3: if it's free. :lol

How, may I ask?

On topic though, I agree that there is no way Bungie can go that long without giving us some maps. It just wouldn't make any sense.

eznark

Banned
Man I am glad I didn't stay awake for this. I was stoked about a DLC expansion pack for Halo 3, a new $60 game? No thanks.

Unless they do it like Crysis and make it $30, that would be nice.

Brainboy

On a completely different note, I'm listening to the Halo 3 soundtrack right now (while doing a bit of work). I love it so much.

EazyB

Banned
Trasher said:
That's the only way I'm getting a PS3: if it's free. :lol

How, may I ask
Being a nice guy pays off.
Trasher said:
On topic though, I agree that there is no way Bungie can go that long without giving us some maps. It just wouldn't make any sense.
For sure, considering the last pack was released, what, 3 months ago; that would be one ridiculously long wait. With Gears 2 and COD5 coming out soon, Halo 3 will need all the new content it can get to stay strong (don't want to lose Squad Battle).

Frenck

Banned
1745_0001.jpg

I thought it said Dust not ODST. I need glasses, stat!

Frenck

Banned
So what do you guys think about the Flood outbreak in Halo Wars?

How will they make that fit into canon?!? (if they do)

Frenck said:

Is the Halo Wars trailer from last night available to the public? All I heard about Halo Wars and the Flood was that the Flood were in the game.

LukeSmith

godhandiscen said:
The gamespot rumor.

There's your problem -- you're getting all wrapped up in bogus rumors. Fail less! ;b

Brian and I have a bunch of interviews tomorrow with the good stewards of the worldwide media; so there should be some more information to be gleaned from those.

LukeSmith said:
There's your problem -- you're getting all wrapped up in bogus rumors. Fail less! ;b

Brian and I have a bunch of interviews tomorrow with the good stewards of the worldwide media; so there should be some more information to be gleaned from those.
:D That's good to hear.

Edit:

LukeSmith said:
The word "stealth" here isn't really a great word. This isn't a stealth action game like a Splinter Cell game. This is a Bungie-made Halo game where you will play as an ODST, which of course, is different (and no, I'm not talking about how it's different ;b) than playing as a Spartan super soldier. This isn't Halo Cell, Ghost Recon: Halo, Republic Commandalo or whatever.
If you are telling us this, how much are you able to reveal at this point?

LukeSmith

Microsoft's Press Release: While the feel of this new chapter greatly resembles that of previous Halo experiences, Halo 3: Recon will require you to employ more elements of stealth and cunning than ever before.

The word "stealth" here isn't really a great word. This isn't a stealth action game like a Splinter Cell game. This is a Bungie-made Halo game where you will play as an ODST, which of course, is different (and no, I'm not talking about how it's different ;b) than playing as a Spartan super soldier. This isn't Halo Cell, Ghost Recon: Halo, Republic Commandalo or whatever.

Edit: Forgot Call of Halo and Gears of Halo.

Trasher

Frenck said:

Well I believe in the trailer we saw with the Arbiter he talks about the "infection." So I'm pretty sure there is gonna be flood.

Frenck

Banned
Trasher said:
Well I believe in the trailer we saw with the Arbiter he talks about the "infection." So I'm pretty sure there is gonna be flood.

Before I saw the video above I hoped that it would be a cameo appearance or a fight against them in the depths of a Forerunner installation but the vid shows that they are on the surface en masse. There are even tentacles coming out of the ground. Ensemble has to blow up Harvest and every one involved with a planet killer nuke if they don't want to interfere with established canon.

LukeSmith said:
The word "stealth" here isn't really a great word.
Too late, I've already coined HALO GEAR SOLID 4: ODSTS FOR FREEDOM AND LIBERTY.

Frenck said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41105.html

It starts at the 4:50 minute mark. It's not a closed off Forerunner installation buried deep beneath the surface. This is a full scale Flood outbreak out in the open on the fields of Harvest.
Thanks for the link. It looks like it’s going to be a fun game to play.

To answer your original question: No, I don't think that the inclusion of Forerunner technology or Flood, even openly on a planet’s surface, are deal breakers when it comes to the fiction. I can already think of a dozen ways it can easily and elegantly fit into Halo's timeline of events without breaking continuity or coming across as contrived. That said, if we get a few of theses prequels with Forerunner technology and/or Flood involved, then there might be issues. I’ve always held that the best possible Flood game would be one like Dead Space, so hopefully we see a title like that in the future.

Also, was anyone ever a fan of Full Spectrum Warrior? I loved the first one as a hybrid between a tactical shooter and an RTS, heavier on the latter. I think a Halo game with that pretext would actually be a lot of fun.

I dunno if this has been asked before but probably. Anyways it seems when you load a queue of file transfers the Xbox doesn't check to see if there are any queued unless I sign in and out. Is there an easier way?

Frenck

Banned
I can only think of two solutions. Probably due to a lack of creativity or a lack of sleep.

1) As I mentioned. They blow up everything and everyone involved at the end of the game.

2) The Spirit of Fire crew surivives, reports back to the UNSC and it turns out that a top secret ONI branch knew about the Flood 20 years before the events of the trilogy (possible tie in with Cole Protocol).

There are other options like collective amnesia ( :lol ) or the Star Trek: Enterprise way of saying "but they didn't know they were fighting the Flood, it could have been any hyper intelligent alien parasite lifeform."

I give the Bungie franchise group and Ensemble enough credit not to consider those.

I'm genuinely interested in possible solutions to this whole thing.

xxjuicesxx said:
I dunno if this has been asked before but probably. Anyways it seems when you load a queue of file transfers the Xbox doesn't check to see if there are any queued unless I sign in and out. Is there an easier way?

I think I recall that you can just back out to the menu and it will cause a recheck for new files and they will download.

GM Bullfrog said:
I think I recall that you can just back out to the menu and it will cause a recheck for new files and they will download.

Thanks, I thought that did it but I tried and it didn't but since you said it did I tried again and it did. Guess the second times a charm.

On a side note you can download a lot of files. I thought there was a limit people complained about but I have all the MLG maps/gametypes. My files (Forges, pictures, videos), and I downloaded like 50 pros gameplays off their fileshares and I'm still not at the limit. How are people honestly complaining about this?:lol

Wizman23 said:
WOW so much hate and trolling in the Halo 3 Recon thread.

There is a reason why most of the Halo faithful stay in this thread.

xxjuicesxx said:
Thanks, I thought that did it but I tried and it didn't but since you said it did I tried again and it did. Guess the second times a charm.

np

Frenck said:
1) As I mentioned. They blow up everything and everyone involved at the end of the game.
This.

I still want my scary-as-shit, stranded-in-space, even-more-blatant-Alien-ripoff Flood game, please. That ends with a Nuclear Explosion.

I don't even read the Halo threads outside of the Halo 3 Official thread and the two screenshot threads we've had. So much unecessary bickering and too many laughable posts. Pretty lame for the most part.

Frenck

Banned
Wizman23 said:
WOW so much hate and trolling in the Halo 3 Recon thread.

That means Bungie did something right. The more GAF hates a game the better it will end up being. GAF hates GTA 4 too and that's the best game I've played this year.

I've been playing through bits of the campaign recently (getting some skulls that I never got around to mostly, but some playing for fun as well) and I'm remembering how much I initially enjoyed it before I moved on to multiplayer only. One of these days I need to make a legendary run.

Anyway thinking about this made me realize I do very much want some more Halo 3 campaign. I was initially disappointed but it was all my own self-hyping this as the rumored 3rd person/squad/cover/big co-op game but hopefully that's in the pipe as well. Bungie always tells a good story (Halo 2 included) so i'm sure they'll do something pretty cool with it.

Wizman23

Banned
So from the info we have so far and what Luke just said it looks to me like it will be a FPS. No complaints here....if it aint broke don't fix it.

alisdair

Is anyone else disappointed that Squad Battle is 2/3 slayer? I was hoping for a 2/3 objective playlist, or at least half of each.

Chinner

Banned
alisdair said:
Is anyone else disappointed that Squad Battle is 2/3 slayer? I was hoping for a 2/3 objective playlist, or at least half of each.
Shamefully we're the minority here. Most people just want slayer.

Chinner said:
Shamefully we're the minority here. Most people just want slayer.

Slayer for the win! Most big team objective games I play nowadays degenerate into Slayer anyways with no one (Bar me and my brother) going for the Flag or defending the Flag etc

alisdair said:

Yeah a little bit. I'd be happy with a 50/50 split.

Right now one game/map combo i'd like to see is squad battle crazy king on avalanche with tons of mongooses and nothing else, where you have to use the vehicles to move from place to place, then jump off and fight at the objective.

Guess it won't happen except in custom games, which the usual parties I join don't seem to want to do these days. :(

Merguson

Banned
LukeSmith said:

Edit: Forgot Call of Halo and Gears of Halo.

More like Sneak King?

fin

Frenck said:
That means Bungie did something right. The more GAF hates a game the better it will end up being. GAF hates GTA 4 too and that's the best game I've played this year.

So Too Human is game of forever....sounds good to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom