• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Catz trolls gamers with Half-Life 3... inside their new keyboard

glaurung

This little $300 gamer keyboard puppy came out of the blue at GamesCom and now Mad Catz has also released a demo video that can be viewed here.

When zoomed in, you can spot the HL3 logo sitting in the LCD display of the device.

screenshot20120815at435.png

The keyboard itself looks like this.

Ran a search to find if someone has posted this, could not find anything. Lock if old.

ekim

- Source 2 stuff leaked
- TF2 Update
- HL3 in official Gamescom lineup pdf
- HL3 in Keyboard AD
- GTTV Valve special tomorrow

Coincidence?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
"This keyboard is so futuristic, it almost belongs in a time period where Half-Life 3 is out."

1-D_FTW

This little $300 gamer keyboard puppy came out of the blue at GamesCom and now Mad Catz has also released a demo video that can be viewed here.

"Lots of trolls in here herpa derpin' about mechanical keyboards.

Let me downvote and rage over a product that's actually innovative because it doesn't use the latest nerd flavor of the week tech.

There are plenty of quality membrane keyboards out there you fruits... You know.. The ones everyone's been using for the past decade... Calm the fuck down."

-rickeyretardo777

Good ol' internet. Some of the rants against people wanting mechanical keys in their keyboard are hilarious. Cause it's not nerds who are gonna spend 300 bucks on a keyboard to begin with. Something tells me they better care about what the nerds want.

diamount

Banned
Definitely sounds like Valve. They did this in a the Portal 2 mod tools trailer, and they added MTP footage on one of the computer screens.

Viral marketing is ramping up.

HoosTrax

Good ol' internet. Some of the rants against people wanting mechanical keys in their keyboard are hilarious. Cause it's not nerds who are gonna spend 300 bucks on a keyboard to begin with. Something tells me they better care about what the nerds want.
I really like the modular design feature, but I could do without the fancy LCD doodads. If I'm gaming, looking down at my keyboard is the last thing I'd be doing. Plus all those extraneous electronics inside might make it more annoying to disassemble and wash.

I'd be willing to pay good money for a mechanical version of this -- the modularity / potential compactness is really appealing. I've been wanting a mechanical version of the n52 or G13 for a while now -- the feel of their keys is really meh if you've ever used a mechanical keyboard (I use the red version of the CM Storm QuickFire).

The guy's arguments are kind of funny regardless. Membrane keyboards were incredibly cheap compared to mechanical keyboards, and back then I don't think there were many, if any, backlit mechanical keyboards. Now we have affordable mechanical keyboards, and you can get backlit ones easily. Plus there's the new Cherry MX red switch model which is almost a dedicated gaming key switch, as far as responsiveness/sensitivity, without the noisiness. So what's his argument as far as why we shouldn't want to see them in this keyboard. Maybe he thinks SSDs are worthless too, because you know, we've been using platter drives just fine for the past decade.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Definitely sounds like Valve. They did this in a the Portal 2 mod tools trailer, and they added MTP footage on one of the computer screens.

Viral marketing is ramping up.

Except this is a video by Mad Catz, not Valve.

wrowa

Who buys keaboards like that? Looks like utter pretentious "pro gamer" shit. Are there really people who fall for this overpriced mess?

Yep I know but it's getting highly coincidental at this point.

Not really. Featuring a HL3 logo is just a great and easy way to get people to talk about your keyboard that otherwise would fail to get any attention. :p

Piers

Hopefully the heroic Doug Lombardi will turn up to say that this has nothing to do with Valve's plans on HL3 and debunk it.

diamount

Banned
Who buys keaboards like that? Looks like utter pretentious "pro gamer" shit. Are there really people who fall for this overpriced mess?

Not really. Featuring a HL3 logo is just a great and easy way to get people to talk about your keyboard that otherwise would fail to get any attention. :p

Why has nobody approached them on this yet?

Xane

That'd make a pretty awesome keyboard for programming / general work as well.
Don't see the use for gaming though.

thabiz

Couldnt Valve take legal action? Mad Catz is pretty high profile in the peripheral market. Not saying this is isnt a troll, but it's a pretty big risk, at a high profile event if the game doesnt exist. Just sayin.

1-D_FTW

That'd make a pretty awesome keyboard for programming / general work as well.
Don't see the use for gaming though.

But if you're going to be spending a ton of time typing, you'd be much more proficient with mechanical keys. I'd say a premium membrane keyboard is only good for hardcore gamers who can't actually type. Otherwise it's a bit of an oxymoron.

Top Bottom