• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Whoever decided to have a
shooting star
weather effect in Eryth Sea is a wonderful person. I love the way this area looks.

Zornica

Banned
^^ I've actually been killing all of them. I'm level 44 right now so that's not a problem. Just can't manage to get that Light Rain Element. Was it that easy for everyone else?

Is there anything else that could be done (ie. equipping something which drops rarer items)?

there is one thing you can try. The Item you're looking for has a drop chance of 20%, so it shouldn't be to hard. kill a nebular, save in front of the droped chest (it has to be a wooden chest). open it. reload you save state until you get your item.

^^ I've actually been killing all of them. I'm level 44 right now so that's not a problem. Just can't manage to get that Light Rain Element. Was it that easy for everyone else?

Is there anything else that could be done (ie. equipping something which drops rarer items)?

The best place I found was to go to Believer's Paradise which atop Kasharpa Falls on the Bionis Leg during rain. There will be about 4-5 Aqua Nebula there, thus giving a great chance of getting the drop.

I'm about 16 hours in and I'm having a great time so far. Quick question: is there any point in carrying around all of these items that I keep finding? Specifically with the collectibles after I've used one and the materials (which I can't find any use for), am I just supposed to be selling this stuff for money?

Also, is there something specific I need to do to access the (spoiler for 15 hours or so)
Colony 6 rebuilding stuff? I've seen a few people mention it here or there and I haven't run across any option to get into it yet.

It's fun going back to the OT from August of last year and reading everyone's early impressions.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm about 16 hours in and I'm having a great time so far. Quick question: is there any point in carrying around all of these items that I keep finding? Specifically with the collectibles after I've used one and the materials (which I can't find any use for), am I just supposed to be selling this stuff for money?

Also, is there something specific I need to do to access the (spoiler for 15 hours or so)
Colony 6 rebuilding stuff? I've seen a few people mention it here or there and I haven't run across any option to get into it yet.

It's fun going back to the OT from August of last year and reading everyone's early impressions.

Do not sell collectibles. They will either be use for quests(they will have a ! on them) or you can use them as gifts between every characters to improve their affinity. Much more useful than gold.

As for materials, you can sell everything as long as there is no ! on them(quest items), or keep some of them for trading with npcs if you wish.

burgerdog

Took me 65 hours to finally realize how awesome quick step gems are. Although it's probably not worth it to equip them until you can make lv5 gems so they won't take a bunch of slots trying to cap.

Do not sell collectibles. They will either be use for quests(they will have a ! on them) or you can use them as gifts between every characters to improve their affinity. Much more useful than gold.

As for materials, you can sell everything as long as there is no ! on them(quest items), or keep some of them for trading with npcs if you wish.
Cool, thanks for the help. So am I safe to trade any collectibles that don't have the red exclamation mark on them?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quest-only uniques are so annoying. Have to waste time doing quests and getting affinity up just to kill them. My playtime has about doubled over the course of the last couple areas because of that.

By the time I'll actually have Lakebed Orthlus unlocked to fight I'll be ridiculously overleveled.

Also weird how the leveling works. I've hardly done any quests, basically a few here and there and then enough to get 2 stars in Central Bionis, and I haven't spent much time killing monsters for the sake of killing monsters. Yet I'm ridiculously overleveled. I just got to what's probably the second most troublesome story boss, as far as the number of people who asked about it (
boss in the tomb
) and I was so overleveled the enemies couldn't even hit me.

Yet the first time I was going through the game I wasn't overleveled, and that's while I was doing every quest possible. So maybe discovering new areas + killing unique monsters is better for experience than doing quests.

Edit:
Oh, and this is the aftermath of fighting Gentle Rodriguez. Minor character spoiler I guess. Since I didn't kill any of the enemies around him first they decided to join in. And of course, there were obviously more enemies than chests, but that's just a general indicator of how many enemies were around.

Tenck

Haven't touched the game in like 5 days. I was battling Xord, and like an idiot I decided to sit down on the floor and stretch my legs, only to raise my legs a bit and press the reset button. I lost 5 levels and about 2 hours of gameplay.

SHOULD REMEMBER TO SAVE EVERY SECOND!!!

Now I don't know if I can bring myself to do all the quests again. And even fighting Xord was a pain in the ass.

Zornica

Banned
Cool, thanks for the help. So am I safe to trade any collectibles that don't have the red exclamation mark on them?

If you plan on doing many quest, you shouldn't sell anything. There is hardly a single drop that isn't used in a quest in some form.
Don't sell stuff, if you don't have to. Money is worthless until the endgame (and by that point you probably got 3 million or more)
If you run out of inventory space (that will happen around level 45), you can sell the cheap stuff with the small bag icons.

Zarovitch

I have start Xenoblade yesterday. After some hours and making of bunch of sidequest i can say that i like this game. I like how that story start and how cut scene are made. I want to explore this world.

I would like to be able to fight dummy to practice, i don't feel i understand how to interact with the other character while we are fighting. Battles end to soon.

Roto13

Wait, what? How do I do this?

I want to explore this world.
Well good, because there's a ton of exploring to do. :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wait, what? How do I do this?

Go into the item menu, then go in the collectible tab and select "Present" after pressing A on any items. Then choose the characters.

Some items can give 2 or 3 hearts depending on who receive them, but i had to find a huge google doc list to know which ones.

Roto13

Go into the item menu, then go in the collectible tab and select "Present" after pressing A on any items. Then choose the characters.

Some items can give 2 or 3 hearts depending on who receive them, but i had to find a huge google doc list to know which ones.

I am going to do so much of this. Raising affinity with battle and side quests takes forever.

Pancho

Qurupancho

Where is this google doc? The game never tells you about gifts...unless I missed it.

massoluk

Banned
Anyone focusing on improving Colony 6?

I've tried for hours just hoping to get a Light Rain Element from the Aqua Nebulae. No luck :(. I've gotten everything else to LV 1 besides the Special category.

Don't know what else I can do to potentially get it. I'm doing the right things (i think) by waiting for it to rain on the the Bionis Leg, and searching for the Aqua Nebulae. Any other suggestions?

Try checking the chart for trading. Colony 6 rebuilding is a pain. At the end, all I got for all the running around collect ultra rare ground spawns was
a big chunk of concrete overlooking the city. Well, a lively city, but still.

Should not have clicked on that FAQ until after I had gotten the 7th character. Oh well, my own mistake. Bookmarked it for use later when I am hunting some of the other secrets.

Croc

Banned
Been playing for 4-5 hours I think and I just am now leaving Colony 9. I'm really liking it so far, the world is really interesting and there is stuff to look at everywhere. I also really like all of the characters and none of them are getting on my nerves (so far).

One question I have is, are there any/a lot of missables in this game? Or at least anything that will make a big difference?

Roto13

I didn't spoil the seventh party member
but I did assume it correctly. Every other temporary character that joins your party doesn't have a skill tree but Fiora did. :p

Been playing for 4-5 hours I think and I just am now leaving Colony 9. I'm really liking it so far, the world is really interesting and there is stuff to look at everywhere. I also really like all of the characters and none of them are getting on my nerves (so far).

One question I have is, are there any/a lot of missables in this game? Or at least anything that will make a big difference?

There are some quests that will be impossible after a certain point in the game, but those are marked with clocks next to them in the quest list.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Updated the FAQ with another question, about art colors. I thought about doing it a while back when some people were talking about not really understanding chain attacks. The fact somebody mentioned losing "the break art" (Turn Strike) kind of set it in motion.

What's the meaning behind the different colored arts?

I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the game, but each colored art denotes a different art type. It's important to pay attention to the color of the arts when using chain attacks, because chaining arts of the same color gives you a hefty damage bonus. The most important colors:

Pink - A break art. Any pink art will attempt to inflict break on an enemy. Turn Strike also inflicts break, but you lose that early on.

Green - Topple arts. All green arts attempt to inflict topple. They usually require break first, but there are some exceptions.

Yellow - Daze arts. Every yellow art will attempt to inflict daze. It's usually stacked on top of topple, but there are some arts that will inflict it directly.

The other colors:

Red: An offensive art, always physical. Almost always has some sort of additional effect. Easiest to stack with chains.
Blue: Support art. Always ether. These have a wide array of effects.
Orange: Auras. These last a certain amount of time and add various buffs to the character.
Purple: Aura attacks? Not 100% sure, but there aren't many purple arts and I believe all of them are ether attacks based on auras.

Not very many missables. There are some timed quests, and if you don't do those there are probably some bigger things you could miss out on, but you get a lot of time to do all the time quests.

Roto13

Regarding art colour combos: Talent arts work as a wild card that keep the chain going. So Red > Red > Red will get just as much of a damage bonus as Red > White (Talent) > Purple.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I had already mentioned that in the question in the FAQ specifically about chain attacks. But it's good to note nonetheless. I've taken heavy advantage of chains and damage bonuses on my current playthrough.

It's pretty awesome when you kill a unique at near level parody with a single chain attack. I've taken down at least 3 story bosses with a single chain too. That's the main reason I'm not feeling Melia this time, her arts don't really line up with the strategy I've gone with at all. I was initially concerned about how Shulk/Reyn/Dunban would work, but apart from Shulk stealing aggro when I control him, it's actually a damn good party.

This guy right here, looking like a badass? He's one of the unfortunate ones that got KOed by a single chain. (He's 46, I was 44/45)
iEjCgg30M924q.jpg

Zarovitch

Do i need to look at which kind of attack the other do before choosing an art, or it's just when i launch a chain attack that is important?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do i need to look at which kind of attack the other do before choosing an art, or it's just when i launch a chain attack that is important?

It's only during chain attacks. But, you can watch what your AI comrades are doing and take advantage of the arts they use. For example, topple and daze an enemy, then chain, then re-topple and daze and you'll essentially double the length of time the enemy will be down. That won't give you any sort of damage bonus, but it's useful.

Edit: It's also interesting not only how the story holds together and makes sense despite all the crazy plot twists, but also that so much is foreshadowed in throwaway comments.

Consider these ending spoilers:

Even as early as Prison Island part 1, the High Entia - Telethia thing is very heavily hinted at. So much so that I don't know how I missed it on my first playthrough. Meyneth also mentions the fact that Shulk's existence is more similar to hers and Zanza's than the people of Bionis/Mechonis.

There does seem to be some misleading info. There are a lot of things that simply aren't clear, like the High Entia inscriptions. There's also the convenient fact that they lost the records for just what was imprisoned in Prison Island, so when they got there it was "only a giant" but Melia was the only one to question why a giant would be locked up for eternity. Obviously Sorean knew about the High Entia - Telethia transformation, but apparently he didn't know the purpose of the Telethia themselves?

And what the heck was going on with Alvis' discussion with Zanza? Alvis doesn't have any side/allegiance, why would he "stand in" for Zanza? I don't really get what that was about at all.

It's also interesting how Egil basically played right into Zanza's hand, because Egil is the one who set everything in the entire game into motion. If he hadn't attacked Bionis to try to weaken it's ether levels and prevent it from ever awakening, Zanza never would have been released, and everything wouldn't have gone to hell. So yeah, both Sorean and Egil were crappy leaders that led to terrible stuff happening due to their lack of understanding the whole situation, but I guess at least in the case of Sorean he had to do something. Egil doesn't have that excuse, just a poorly planned revenge plot.

Zarovitch

It's only during chain attacks. But, you can watch what your AI comrades are doing and take advantage of the arts they use. For example, topple and daze an enemy, then chain, then re-topple and daze and you'll essentially double the length of time the enemy will be down. That won't give you any sort of damage bonus, but it's useful.

Ok thanks, it's more simple that i have think.
So there's arts and Talent arts, do Talent arts look different than arts when i need to choose those to chain attack?

jorgeton

I take back every bad thing I've said about Rikki. He's bad ass. Has not left my party since I put him in.

Also fuck this thread for spoiling the fact there is a 7th party member (don't know who yet, luckily). Really thought there were only six.

Roto13

Look at your party icon in the relationship chart. Of course there's a seventh member. There's an empty space. :p
Ok thanks, it's more simple that i have think.
So there's arts and Talent arts, do Talent arts look different than arts when i need to choose those to chain attack?

Talent arts are the big ones in the middle of your list that you can't upgrade or remove.

jorgeton

Look at your party icon in the relationship chart. Of course there's a seventh member. There's an empty space. :p

There are so many sub-menus in this game that I literally have never looked closely at the relationship chart. I usually just skim through to find what I'm looking for. Ah well, no harm done, just a nice surprise brutally taken away from me by gaf. T_T

Roto13

Reloaded about twenty times looking for Tempestuous Edegia on Floating Reef 10. I've decided I'm not doing any more quests that involve praying that a rare monster spawns. It's not worth it and it's certainly not fun.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not to be THAT guy, but I believe the word you're meaning to use is "parity".

Yep. I'm tired and sick, if that's the only typo I've made over the last couple days then I'd be surprised.

Reloaded about twenty times looking for Tempestuous Edegia on Floating Reef 10. I've decided I'm not doing any more quests that involve praying that a rare monster spawns. It's not worth it and it's certainly not fun.

If you're actually making an effort to do the quests, I found it's best to avoid unique monsters until you've gotten all the challenge quests. That way you aren't stuck reloading.

Weather specific uniques are a pain in the ass though (but not as much as quest-only ones). Spent like 10 minutes trying to get a thunderstorm on Gaur Plains for White Eduardo, and probably 4-5 minutes trying to get a meteor shower for another unique. Even the ones that appear during common/calm weather are annoying because wouldn't you know it, right as you're out hunting for them it starts raining. I can think of two times just on this playthrough that it's happened to me.

Pancho

Qurupancho
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&noheader=true&gid=2

You should probably print it like i did, like i said its huge. :lol

It obviously spoils some locations, but its nothing major or mind blowing.

Edit : Oh yeah, 7th character. My bad. Do not look unless you already know who it is.

Thanks
And really the 7th party member is no spoiler at all xD
I sort of already expected for it to happen.

I finally got Riki in my party and the game's starting to get overwhelming again x_x
So much stuff to do

Normally I hate characters in jRPGS like Riki, but I think they realize that he is just a silly character.
When you get him the music that is playing has such a jovial undertone that it's hard not at least laugh at the situation

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I am tiring to find that song that has a piano in it... it's happens alot in cut-scenes when shulk attacks something

Found a video with the music... So can someone tell me what the title is
EDIT: nvm

I think I found the song. Engage the Enemy
=D

Normally I hate characters in jRPGS like Riki, but I think they realize that he is just a silly character.
When you get him the music that is playing has such a jovial undertone that it's hard not at least laugh at the situation

Riki like friends. Riki do happy dance.

=)

Croc

Banned
Just some fun speculation about the 7th character from someone only about 10 hours into the game. Right now I only have 3 characters so obviously this is just going on a whim but...

Would the 7th character happen to be Fiora? I don't think it'd be Riki since people seem to be throwing that name around pretty freely on here. All I'm going on is the knowledge that the 7th character is surprising as a spoiler. I was thinking Fiora since she had supposedly died, and also the fact that she was made a playable character early on in the game. It doesn't really seem that surprising to me (if it is her) because it just doesn't seem like it'd do much good to make her a playable character if you were only going to be able to use her for a brief moment.

So yeah, am I completely off base here?

burgerdog

Just some fun speculation about the 7th character from someone only about 10 hours into the game. Right now I only have 3 characters so obviously this is just going on a whim but...

Would the 7th character happen to be Fiora? I don't think it'd be Riki since people seem to be throwing that name around pretty freely on here. All I'm going on is the knowledge that the 7th character is surprising as a spoiler. I was thinking Fiora since she had supposedly died, and also the fact that she was made a playable character early on in the game. It doesn't really seem that surprising to me (if it is her) because it just doesn't seem like it'd do much good to make her a playable character if you were only going to be able to use her for a brief moment.

Completely right.

KarmaCow

Yup.
I had similar reasons for thinking it was her too. Though my main reason was that I got weapons only she could use before she died so surely the game wouldn't create a class of weapons just for a character that dies fairly early into the game.

Even more spoiler-y below.

The funny thing is that she can't even use those weapons when you get her back because she has a new type of weapon set.

Croc

Banned
ffvii spoilers

aeris died kinda early in final fantasy vii too, never to be seen again and no glitches don't count and neither do spinoff games

Though I never actually got to the point where she died in FF VII, I feel like however long I played it (to some cave that was in an area with an observatory or something) was significantly longer than I was able to play with Fiora for in Xenoblade. I guess it just struck me as odd since she died literally in the first town.

Owzers

70 hours into the game.....right before the tail end....and i end up quitting and watching the rest of the boss fights on youtube because i didn't want to grind 3 levels to make the fight more manageable :p That blaze damage!

It was a fun game but it went on too long for me. You stopped getting arts for a long time, i didn't really like the characters or the plot, but the battle system was fun. Not 70 hours fun, but fun. Environmental design and music were also really good, but i wish the plot/characters matched it.

emb

Completely right.

Curses. I thought it'd be safe to highlight speculation from some one who wasn't as far as me, didn't realize it would be phrased as a question until it was too late. My own fault, but I'm annoyed with myself for highlighting any of the spoiler tags. I knew this would happen if I kept hanging around this thread before I could put a lot of time into the game.

flyover

Curses. I thought it'd be safe to highlight speculation from some one who wasn't as far as me, didn't realize it would be phrased as a question until it was too late. My own fault, but I'm annoyed with myself for highlighting any of the spoiler tags. I knew this would happen if I kept hanging around this thread before I could put a lot of time into the game.

The good news is that you really haven't ruined the game for yourself. Believe me.

But (and I advise this for anyone playing for the first time) if you don't want to be spoiled on things, You may want to stay out of this thread until you're done. Or only pop in to give your progress, but avoid reading any part of any post that has spoiler tags.

Hell, if I were playing for the first time, I wouldn't want to know a bunch of stuff that's being left out of spoiler tags. But I like knowing almost nothing when I'm going through a new game.

Top Bottom