• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

3fYrl.jpg

Super Robot Wars (スーパーロボット大戦) is a series of tactical level turn based strategy games featuring super robots and other giant mechanized vehicles or weapons. Robots and pilots are sourced from from various anime series or were created specifically for the series, called the Original Generation. There are also several spin-off action games such as SRW OG Saga: Endless Frontier or SRW Scramble Commander. Another turn based tactical series closely related to SRW is SD Gundam G Generation, which focuses on the Gundam series and is also published by Namco-Bandai.

I created this thread mainly to discuss past (after the OT has expired or never existed) or future SRWs or the SRW series in general. When a specific SRW is released in the future most of that games discussion will take place in its OT. Since SRW is generally a low popularity series here at NeoGAF there probably won't be much trouble if you post non-major news or updates like official blog posts or new screenshots. The major announcement thread of SRW Masou Kishin II got a total of 30 posts, so that should give you an idea of the amount of excitement we usually get. If you really want to talk about SD Gundam G Generation, feel free to do so, since it's basically SRW's red headed stepchild that gets even less attention and respect. I don't expect this thread to get much traffic but hopefully it will grow over time.

The Super Robot Wars series typically isn't released in NA due to licensing issues. However Atlus has published three SRW games in NA. Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation and Original Generation 2. And an action game spinoff, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier. You can usually purchase older SRW titles for fairly cheap on ebay, just don't expect fancy things like boxes or manuals. New SRW titles are rather expensive owing to the awful Yen - US Dollar exchange rate.

Want to play a Japanese SRW game? It's best to use some of the helpful English guides at gamefaqs along with info at the Akurasu wiki. It also really helps if you learn katakana, as the majority of pilot, robot, attack, item, and skill names are in katakana and you'll be able to understand the game a lot better.

Most Recent SRWs:
2012/04/05 [PSP] 2nd Super Robot Wars Z Saisei-hen
2012/01/12 [PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin I & Masou Kishin II Limited Edition Bundle
2011/12/22 [3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D
2011/04/14 [PSP] 2nd Super Robot Wars Z Hakai-hen
2010/11/25 [DS] Super Robot Wars L
2010/05/27 [DS] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin - The Lord of Elemental
2009/10/29 [WII] Super Robot Wars Neo
2009/03/20 [DS] Super Robot Wars K
2008/09/25 [PS2] Super Robot Wars Z / Super Robot Wars Z: Special Disk

Upcoming SRW/G Gen Titles:
[3DS] Super Robot Wars 3DS (working title)
[Vita] Super Robot Wars Franchise (working title)
[PS3] 2nd Super Robot Wars OG. Trailer 1. Trailer 2.

Links:
Official website.
Akurasu wiki with useful info and chronological list of all SRW titles.
Another English SRW wiki.
Wikipedia entry.
Gamefaqs SRW list. Many useful guides here.
SRW Genesis, a forum which is unfortunately almost always closed to new registrations. But if you really want in, you can get on their IRC and ask nicely for an account.

To start out, I've been working on playing through each SRW in chronological order starting from the first game in 1991, then writing a review and (usually) a guide for each game. You can check my progress at this blog post. I've got quite a lot of experience with the older SRWs up to F/FF, but I haven't quite reached anything that could be considered modern yet. I have played through OG and OG2 in English, however.

Some topics to discuss:
Your favorite SRW games.
Characters, plot, music, animations.
How many SRW games have you played?
Achievements or accomplishments.
Hopes for future SRW games.
What SRW game you last played or what you're playing through, your thoughts, etc.

Beth Cyra

This is a werid franchise for me.

I don't care about stories, I don't care about the OG characters, in fact I refuse to buy the OG games as I find both the characters and the Mechs lame (Rand and Gunleon being the sole exception) nor do I like Turn Based Strategy games.

However I do love to see my favorite Mecha and how they go together. Some of my favorite gaming moments have been in this franchise hearing Ryoma scream out Getter Shine or Duke calling out Gravity Storm.

As it stands, if it has Getter Robo G, Ufo Robo Grendizer or Gundam Wing Endless Waltz then it's a day one game. If it doesn't have any I skip it.

As for the OP.

You really need to check out Z and Z2. They are easier then most of the older games, but they are really beautiful and just a treat. If you like any of the Cast you owe it to yourself to see them, they did an amazing job.

It's true most gamers play SRW for their favorite series or characters/plots. That's fine with me and I've learned a lot more than I thought I would about the series in SRW by reading the helpful and extensive English guides on gamefaqs.

I've seen some of the Z/Z2 animations on youtube and they are amazing 2D art, for sure. The trailers for 2nd OG for PS3 are amazing as well. Trailer 1. Trailer 2. I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

zeroshiki

This feels like its gonna be a short thread but yay SRW!

I started playing Super Robot Wars 17 years ago when I was in the 5th grade. That was Super Robot Wars EX (3rd game chronologically). It had really broken mechanics like not being able to choose your retaliatory attack and Hot Blood costing 15 SP or something. Cybuster's MAP attack was also a P attack and ruined enemy platoons.

I've played lots of versions since. 4, Neo, F, Alpha series, W, Z series.

My favorite SRW moment has to be the oh shit moment I had in F, I think, when Wing Gundam came out as a yellow unit and Buster Rifled Shinji causing EVA-01 to blow up and go berserk, killing all my units =(

I never play the OG games and I wish they'd go back to the Alpha squad system. Pairing up Mazinkaizer with an EVA unit made that squad unstoppable.

Bebpo

Banned
Nice thread. They need to start releasing more srw games soon for it to stay alive though ;)

LoE2 will be interesting. Hope they can come up with a good story. I really hope they're just saving the masou-kishin LoE story inclusion in 2nd OGs for a near release surprise. Doesn't make much sense to bring LoE back and not put it in OGs.

Bebpo said:
Nice thread. They need to start releasing more srw games soon for it to stay alive though ;)

LoE2 will be interesting. Hope they can come up with a good story. I really hope they're just saving the masou-kishin LoE story inclusion in 2nd OGs for a near release surprise. Doesn't make much sense to bring LoE back and not put it in OGs.

I'm really disappointed in the visual style of the LoE games. I'll wait for them to cover it in SRW again so I can get the same thing but purdy.

Ken

Love the sprites and animations in SRW games. My first SRW was on the Wonderswan and my most recent was Z2. Looking forward to future titles, although my wallet is going to hate the import prices.

First words some one ever said to me about SRW

Armor for supers

Speed for reals

words to live by.

Actually I started playing my first SRW game a few months ago with the Z2 on the psp. They got some of the best anime series in recent time in there so it's been a real blast.

TreIII

Bebpo said:

Like I've been saying for a while, OGs is probably due to have some sort of "SRW EX" retread sometime soon. And I'm thinking it probably will be OGs2. After all, they likely will need to find some way to bring back Shuu, in order to have a nice "SRW4/F/FF" retread.

Meanwhile, Masoukishin 2 definitely interests me. Obviously, Masaki has a new rival to make up for the fact that he and Shuu are now BEST FRIENDS FOREVER at this point (assuming the events of that one path in the first game are the canonical one). Could be very interesting, especially if fan theory that Zelvoid's missing right arm and the 'God's Arm' of Israfel are one and the same turns out to be correct.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
1st SRW game for me was SRW 4 on the Super Famicom. Since then, i've played nearly every SRW game ever. My favorite game was SRW Alpha Gaiden on the ps1 (w/c there is a fan translation of, if you want to play it in english).

SRW was also the big factor in me becoming a mecha fan of all mecha animes, as well as getting me to learn some basic japanese. :p

xero273

I heard a lot about the SRW games. Didn't get a chance to play until end of ps2 era. I never knew how importing works until i looked it up and then bought swap magic. From there I started alpha 3 and that's when i got hooked to the game. Seeing some of my favorite units on there and playing units from shows that i never watched. Playing SRW also got me interested to watch the shows they are from.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Never really liked OG characters too save for Rand, Baron Badam and Elzam. Otherwise they have a tendency to be annoying.

Never used real robots save for Orguss, Turn A, Zeta, and Scopedog.

SRWA Portable is the most frustrating SRW ever though.

hteng

Banned
haha wow, bout time someone make a thread like this. but im afraid there aren't many SRW fans on gaf.

edit: wait what? there's a masou kishin 2 game coming?! wtf how did i missed that?! did Banpresto finally got the character licenses from winkysoft or something?

Boss Doggie

hteng said:
haha wow, bout time someone make a thread like this. but im afraid there aren't many SRW fans on gaf.

Most of them are even just new mecha fans or those late 90's shows :p

Man, we can't enjoy something that doesn't involve pop idols in mecha shows anymore, or trying to have a harem. :p

suko_32

First SRW game for me was MX. I was in Taiwan and on one of the TV's at a video game store was running through all the series and their attack animations. Saw G Gundam, Mazinger, Evangelion, and so on and jaw just dropped. Soon after, I picked up the game and had a blast. The best part was not upgrading, no senshins, no optional parts and I still beat the game. The only reason why I did that was because I didn't know about them. I kept wondering why people kept saying this is one of the easiest SRW's.

Haven't played anything before MX, but I did enjoy Alpha 3, Z, and Z2. Played a few on the DS and GBA. I haven't beaten the OG games on PS2 yet though.

If anything these games have helped me find out more about some series I would have otherwise never bothered to watch...some worth the time while others not.

Edit: As for my favorite, it's either Alpha 3 or Z.

kuroshiki

hteng said:

edit: wait what? there's a masou kishin 2 game coming?! wtf how did i missed that?! did Banpresto finally got the character licenses from winkysoft or something?

Winky is making it.

Boss Doggie

What's your favorite SRW?

Mine is @ series, especially 3. The graphics may seem outdated compared to Z and its platoon system is inferior, but it still is full of energy compared to Z series, and it has some of the best OGs. The roster is also quite good.

Zengar

My first SRW was SRW 4 on Snes when I was 9. I didn't know any mecha back then but the awesome animations and music (Time to come, Psybuster's theme...) drew me in.

Q8D3vil

Ookami-kun said:

Mine is @ series, especially 3. The graphics may seem outdated compared to Z and its platoon system is inferior, but it still is full of energy compared to Z series, and it has some of the best OGs. The roster is also quite good.
OG 2 in english was so amazing even though it was like 3 years later.

hteng

Banned
kuroshiki said:
Winky is making it.

whhaaaat? ok i guess, so judging by the screen shots it looks exactly like the first game, the sprites aren't good but man do i like some normal sized mechas! and colors! bright colors!

TimeKillr

I can't wait for the new OG on PS3. I've finished Z2: Hakai-Hen probably 7 times now... And just the PS3 trailers make me go nuts.

This is the first time where I will be easily be able to play a home console SRW without modding (I did buy OGS and OGG on PS2, though, and played them through my modded PS2).

OG1 and 2 were my first true introductions to the game, though. I tried playing A1 and such back in the day but everything was much too obscure. OG1 and 2 are great ways to see how the game actually is supposed to be played, and that alone made me fall in love with all the other games in the series...

Zengar

Ookami-kun said:

That would be SRW OGS+ OG Gaiden, I love the OG characters more then the characters in licensed series. Part of it is because the animations for mechs from OG series are not as limited compared to the ones from other franchised, e.g. Apotheosized Ialdabaoth or Ryu Ko Oh ...

TreIII

hteng said:

Apparently, there never was any license disputes. According to Terada, there actually were plans to make a Masoukishin 2 ages ago (soon after the original), but I guess either the game didn't sell well or changes in priorities forced them to focus on the likes of F/FF and then Alpha instead.

Anyway, we're FINALLY getting a definitive sequel to one of my fave SRWs, so I'm happy. The OG love we stand to get in 2012 more than makes up for the rather dry spell since OG Gaiden was released.

SRW Genesis, a forum which is unfortunately almost always closed to new registrations. But if you really want in, you can get on their IRC and ask nicely for an account.

Hehe, I've been trying to join for years now.

mjemirzian said:
Some topics to discuss:
Your favorite SRW games.
Characters, plot, music, animations.
How many SRW games have you played?
Achievements or accomplishments.
Hopes for future SRW games.

2nd Super Robot Wars OG release date.

Shouta

Ookami-kun said:

SRW MX is probably my favorite one from a fun factor standpoint. Great cast list, great chemistry in the storylines, I love the originals, and it has the impact style mission select. It's not a hard game at all but it's a helluva lot of fun to play.

Ookami-kun said:

mine is A portable, the other ones are too ez. also I love the main characters in A portable.
i am sellin it because I dont have a PSP anymore.

zeroshiki

My favorite is Alpha 3. I really love the squad system and at the time I was really into Gundam SEED so seeing them in there sealed the deal.

Did everyone play Z2? I'm playing it now and by god, Code Geass is broken. Guren Nishiki's Fukushahadou has size ignore and barrier ignore. Combine that with high speed and you basically have a killing machine. I took down a rhynodamon in 2 turns.

Ladyboy101 said:
mine is A portable, the other ones are too ez. also I love the main characters in A portable.
i am sellin it because I dont have a PSP anymore.

Ok dude, we get it, you're selling the game. Take it to the buy sell trade thread kay?

Coxy

my favourites are OG 1 & 2, especially 2, I love Excellen, Kyosuke, Lamia, Elzam and a load of other OG characters and mechs

Loved Z too though and the mainline series is finally getting some of the new series I like such as Gravion, Daiguard and Godannar

really super hyped for 2nd OGs, it looks amazing

Katbot

Waiting patiently for SRW Z-2. Very, very patiently.

Also, I can't believe that they're actually making a sequel to Lord of Elemental.

Always found these games to be extremely playable with little to no knowledge in Japanese.

You can even argue that the localized plots makes about as little sense as the native script.

Gameplay are all pretty similar and besides the few unique systems per game, if you played 1, you pretty much can play (nearly) all of them.

Been slowly going through Z2 for psp. Were SRW games always so easy?

game is pretty though.

zeroshiki said:
My favorite is Alpha 3. I really love the squad system and at the time I was really into Gundam SEED so seeing them in there sealed the deal.

Did everyone play Z2? I'm playing it now and by god, Code Geass is broken. Guren Nishiki's Fukushahadou has size ignore and barrier ignore. Combine that with high speed and you basically have a killing machine. I took down a rhynodamon in 2 turns.

The Z series have given you so many units that are so good at tearing shit up.

Chirico Cuvie (once he gets a Custom Scopedog anyway), Mazinger Z, Dai Guard, Getter Robo, Godmars, Guren, Gurren Lagann...

Mupod

I remember going into the GBA OG games thinking "What's the point without any licensed mecha? This will surely be lame" etc

And now the originals are some of my favorites, funny how that works. Shame we never got any of the other OG games in NA, aside from Endless Boobs.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Pureauthor said:
They're also unlikely to localize any more.
Gotta keep crunching those japanese learning books... damn...

Q8D3vil said:
Whats your favorite theme ?
mine is Trombe!
That's a hard question... Trombe is awesome, but so are many other songs.
Probably Ash to Ash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XzrHPMAMnQ
this one is not epic or anything, but it's one of my favorites, 揺れる心の錬金術師 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX-Qq4Jy11I
if we are taking in to account licensed themes, which I think is cheating, then you have motherfucking Men of Destiny, you can't beat that (well, maybe with Beyond the Time)

Q8D3vil

this thread brought back some awesome memories
so i just spent hours watching srw stuff on youtube and i think my favorite robot is thrudgelmir.

thrudgelmir.jpg

DKnight said:
Gotta keep crunching those japanese learning books... damn...

That's a hard question... Trombe is awesome, but so are many other songs.
Probably Ash to Ash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XzrHPMAMnQ
this one is not epic or anything, but it's one of my favorites, 揺れる心の錬金術師 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX-Qq4Jy11I
if we are taking in to account licensed themes, which I think is cheating, then you have motherfucking Men of Destiny, you can't beat that (well, maybe with Beyond the Time)
men of destiny is my favorite gundam opening intro, i have been listening to srw whenever i play starcraft and its so good to set the mood.

alchemist query fit alchimi so much.
i love Sora o Kakeru so much because it reminds me of four so much T_T

zeroshiki

Pureauthor said:
The Z series have given you so many units that are so good at tearing shit up.

Chirico Cuvie (once he gets a Custom Scopedog anyway), Mazinger Z, Dai Guard, Getter Robo, Godmars, Guren, Gurren Lagann...

Whenever Dancouga comes out, Aoi already has at minimum 130 spirit so it totally wrecks shit up. Eureka 7 is kinda lame in Z2 though. It takes a long time to get hot blood in this game so real robots have been king so far.

Bebpo

Banned
My favorite (having not played any pre alpha2 or MX yet) is Z. The cast list is killer (e7, overman, Big O), the originals are great and the story is interesting.

Oh and it had nice animations and music too :p

I like alpha3 (still working on it) but its way too big and bloated. It does have killer original bgms. Z2 is cool but I wasn't a fan of the splitting into two games. Hoping z2-2 will be the better of the two.

OGs is a great franchise, can't wait for the new one. Banpresto comes up with lots of good original plotlines, great bgms, and sometimes good mecha (a lot are kind of C-rank though).

The new LoE (and the ds remake) have a terrible visual style that is not enjoyable at all to look at, but their still with playing for the plot, music, and battle maps.

Beth Cyra

Best game to me was Z1. Amazing cast with Grendizer, Getter G, Aquarion and Gravion and easily the best OG with Gunleon and Rand (Land Crasher is the best theme to me as well) not to mention the his going drinking with the enemy.

Second would be A2 simply for having Wing Gundam EW as a playable unit.

Leasst favorite is MX which sucks because it had full Gendizer story, just dislike the rest ofthe cast like G Gundam and Eva. Also dislike A Portable because of of the fucked up Hit%, even booger kick inthe nuts it had my big three plus the sweets tea
Attack ever in the Dragon x Shin StoneSpark damn it.

Bebpo

Banned
I can understand Eva since it's love/hate, but you seriously have problem with G Gundam? G Gundam is awesome! I'm bummed I haven't played a SRW that's included it yet. I'm hoping it'll be in by Z3.

The only SRW I finished was 3 on SNES/SFC when it was patched almost a decade ago. Played for well over 15 hours straight at one point, and I was convinced I was going to die like a Korean.

Never followed OG seriously, though. What's a good jumping on point?

Top Bottom