• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OreShika: Tainted Bloodlines' performance will influence SCE's conclusion about JRPGs

Takao

Banned
lRYoL9K.jpg

Did I just miss any mention of this or did noone report it?

This was mentioned in Hachima, and this part is on PS Blog (OreShika2's Production Log 31: Summer 7/17 Release Date).

待ち望んでいたファンの皆さんに加え、新しい層がどれだけ手に取ってくれるか?
『俺屍2』の結果が、SCEJAのRPGについての結論になるかもしれません。
そう思うと…7月17日に向けて、より一層気合いが入ります!
How many new players will pick this up, in addition to the fans who have eagerly waited for it?
OreShika2's result might become [the basis for] SCEJA's conclusion about RPGs.
With that in mind... [We] work harder towards 7/17!

You want new Wild Arms?
Buy OreShika2.

EDIT: The Wild Arms comment isn't from SCE. It's ATXAlchemy's opinion.

Soriku

Secret PS4 JRPG held hostage.

Seriously though...how much are we expecting this to sell? He's just talking about Japan numbers right?

Squire

Banned
That's dumb

It is if they just throw it to the dogs. But that doesn't seem to be the case given there are multiple commercials for it.

If Sony pushes it properly then yeah, I think it's fair to make future decisions based off it's performance.

Amir0x

Banned
i never even heard of this game until this thread so, um, advertise it better Sony. Looks sweet though, visually.

Foolish tests of faith aside, I've got the demo and will most likely buy the game.

I really don't think it's anything different from what usually happens, just that information is more readily available.

Squire

Banned
i never even heard of this game until this thread so, um, advertise it better Sony. Looks sweet though, visually.

They just announced it for the west a couple weeks ago and with no ETA. Will be interesting to see if and how it's eventually advertised for us given the Vita's current situation.

That's a terrible idea. It's a Vita game.

Edit: I'm dumb. Didn't realize this is about the Japanese sequel release and not the one coming here. Still not the best idea though.

joe2187

Banned
Not really. If you want more good games from a genre, buy good games from said genre. It's not that hard to follow.

There's a reason we didn't get more Sakura Wars games here.

It needs to have a presence before you can use this as the "test game" as some have previously said. This game has little to no media attention, is a sequel to game that was never localized and is gonna get that "Niche" game label pretty hard.

It is if they just throw it to the dogs. But that doesn't seem to be the case given there are multiple commercials for it.

If Sony pushes it properly then yeah, I think it's fair to make future decisions based off it's performance.

Besides the localization announcement, i have seen nothing about this game whatsoever.

Koppai

Sometimes I feel like we should try to get buying campaigns to happen, but not for the future of localizations, but for games that are really good but probably won't get much exposure.

This looks amazing to me so far.

Eusis

Heh, and I wanted to reply to the OP in the DQXI thread that it seemed like SCEA may've been warming back up to JRPGs and Japanese games. Well, I guess it's a test case at least. Hopefully it's reasonable expectations at any rate, IE not "oh this didn't did a million units we're done" but more that it holds its own against the better received NISA and Atlus games.

EDIT: Ok, I spotted the J in that acronym. Well, this should be interesting to see.

Zephyx

Probably JP only. We won't be seeing more internally-developed JRPGs (for Vita, I guess) if this doesn't sell well. And if SCEJ stops supporting the Vita, I think there will be no (or close to nil) 1st party teams supporting the hardware.

Squire

Banned

Which they would obviously recognize upon reflection, no?

If Sony has doubts about putting JRPGs on PS3, they should be able to look at their partners to assuage those fears. Not that this would influence them since, like you say, it's on Vita.

The buy this to get that always bugs me, but good thing I was buying anyway since this game looks awesome. :)

Agreed, Ninokuni, the Persona games and the renewed dedication of localizing Tales should be proof enough.

Edit: Yeah, kinda weird to judge it on a Vita game though if they mean outside of Japan.

Dragon

Banned
Probably JP only. We won't be seeing more internally-developed JRPGs (for Vita, I guess) if this doesn't sell well. And if SCEJ stops supporting the Vita, I think there will be no (or close to nil) 1st party teams supporting the hardware.

This game was already confirmed to be coming to the US.

vocab

1. Is it a hunting game?
2. Is it good?

No, and yes.

Think rogue legacy bloodline mechanic where your genes get passed on to the future children (They have a life span of 2 years because of a curse), and put it in a jrpg.

This game is a day 1 for me anyway.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Considering the JP one had a lot of fan following as is, hopefully it should do decent at launch.

Im still waiting on SCEJ to bring back Arc The Lad. Though Id be worried after how they kinda drove it into the ground...

androvsky

Don't games with old Japanese art styles not do all that well in general sales-wise in Japan? As I recall, neither Okami or Muramasa sold too great there despite being pretty good games. There's definitely an audience, but I think the artwork makes it a bit niche. Anyone know how the original Oreshika and psp remake sold?

I fear Oreshika could kill the genre for Sony for unrelated reasons.

Eusis

Really hope this hunting game fad ends soon and SCEJ can finally focus on JRPGS and Patapon 4.
That, or it morphs into something beyond the initial template, much further so at least, much like how open world games moved from GTA clones. I like the premise, but it might be nice to have a game that's not as much about, say, beating up one monster forever and ever.

Zephyx

This game was already confirmed to be coming to the US.

I know, what I meant is that SCEJA will stop producing JRPGs (for the handheld only?) if the game doesn't even sell well in its territory. This dev team is also responsible for Wild Arms so any hope of seeing that will be lost as well if their expectations are not reached.

Edit: Gah, Dev team is Media Vision, not Sony. What I meant was Sony will not fund/publish Wild Arms if this ends up a failure.

Really hope this hunting game fad ends soon and SCEJ can finally focus on JRPGS and Patapon 4.

It's not a hunting game if we have the same definition for it.

What is the word of mouth from JapanGAF on this game?

Sometimes I feel like we should try to get buying campaigns to happen, but not for the future of localizations, but for games that are really good but probably won't get much exposure.

This looks amazing to me so far.

Demons Gaze fits that. Does this game?

Edit: I'm dumb. Didn't realize this is about the Japanese sequel release and not the one coming here. Still not the best idea though.

Yeah because the Vita's doing so terribly in Japan, PS4 would've been a far smarter option.

Also, the sequel IS the one that has a worldwide release. The first game came out on PS1 and was remade for PSP, neither of which were ever localised.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I hate this blackmail shit. Hate it. What does wanting a new Wild Arms have to do with this? Why not make Wild Arms instead? Stupid bullshit. Fuck that Sony. I hated this shit with Capcom and I hate it now.

Don't games with old Japanese art styles not do all that well in general sales-wise in Japan? As I recall, neither Okami or Muramasa sold too great there despite being pretty good games. There's definitely an audience, but I think the artwork makes it a bit niche. Anyone know how the original Oreshika and psp remake sold?

I fear Oreshika could kill the genre for Sony for unrelated reasons.

Why would traditional Japanese aesthetics hurt sales in Japan

Not sure about Muramasa, but it was nearly impossible to find a copy of PS2 Okami used for much less than the new price. They were both rereleased as greatest hits editions, so evidently they sold enough.

Doesnt Ninokuni proof people want Jrpgs? Or do they mean just in Japan? Cause then you can just look at Persona 3/4.

Internal developed/funded.

I hate this blackmail shit. Hate it. What does wanting a new Wild Arms have to do with this? Why not make Wild Arms instead? Stupid bullshit. Fuck that Sony. I hated this shit with Capcom and I hate it now.

It come from the Producer Japanese blog. He probably didn't thought it would reach his comment here. Is hardly Capcom "beg us to bring Ex Troopers... Please, we need money"

What hunting game are you referring to?

Soul Sacrifice,Freedom wars.

Thats the 2 Sony is making and then you have all the others by third party publishers, its becoming over saturated, they are better off focusing on something else.

Maybe Sony is just too desperate to fill the void MonsterHunter left.

Shengar

That, or it morphs into something beyond the initial template, much further so at least, much like how open world games moved from GTA clones. I like the premise, but it might be nice to have a game that's not as much about, say, beating up one monster forever and ever.
Freedom Wars come in to changed thay with PVP in an almost coop exclusive genre.

DJIzana

1. Is it a hunting game?
2. Is it good?

LoL. This should be the standard when asking about a Vita JRPG now.

Not that hunting games are bad by any means... it's just over-abundant on that platform.

I'd totally get this game if it's a normal, turn-based JRPG though.

I know, what I meant is that SCEJA will stop producing JRPGs (for the handheld only?) if the game doesn't even sell well in its territory. This dev team is also responsible for Wild Arms so any hope of seeing that will be lost as well if their expectations are not reached.

Media.Vision has nothing to do with Oreshika, the reference to Wild Arms is from Sony's perspective (as they're obviously not going to continue Wild Arms if they aren't publishing JRPGs anymore).

Top Bottom