• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

herod

- Vigilante (Turbografx)
vigilante2tj8.png

Hmmm, Kirby would be nice. But I think I have it stashed away somewhere in my collection. I can't even remember. I would like to see some other N64 games though.

is kirby essentially super mario bros but eating things and taking their shape? ive never played a kirby game on any system... nor have i ever selected his sorry ass in smash bros

Dave Long

Banned
Kirby's Adventure is a classic. If you've never played it, that's something everyone should grab on VC.

It's pretty easy though, so don't expect to get pwned by the pink blob.

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
is kirby essentially super mario bros but eating things and taking their shape? ive never played a kirby game on any system... nor have i ever selected his sorry ass in smash bros

Stop using Pikachu!

Cool, Kirby is a VERY excellent game that I had a lot of fun playing back in the days. :D That game made me a Kirby (and a HAL Lab) fan.

R-Type (1) is still kicking my ass, are there any 'more forgiving' shooters out there? I want to get into one cause I used to love an old PC shooter in my younger days but I just get frustrated instead of enjoying R-Type. ;(

Maybe shooters just aren't for me.

Jammy

Banned
Nice, but I'm waiting for Super Star (announced already).

I finally got my Classic Controller today and played a couple hours of Super Mario World. :) Playing the game with that controller takes me back. I can't wait to be playing stuff like Mega Man X2, Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario RPG, etc. on this now.

dock

NintendosBooger said:
Is there a way to get your money/points back? I purchased a terrible game on the VC and I don't want it any more.
No refunds dude, just like PSN and XBLA. Welcome to the future!

Jiggy

Cheesemeister said:
Appeared on the US VC server for the NES:
kirby.gif
Wonderful. Part because I want it and part because that probably means Kirby Super Star, AKA the second best 2D platformer ever, is coming soon.

Incidentally, I guess I can understand why HAL might be holding back on making another game in the vein of KSS. Since the "one direction plus one button" controls and the Mirror power's bubble shield and such became the template for Super Smash Bros., putting it in another straightforward adventure game might look like infringement; by now SSB is what's ingrained in people's minds since that was the real success story. Still, I'd like to see it happen at some point...

Lapsed

Banned
Conrad Link said:
R-Type (1) is still kicking my ass, are there any 'more forgiving' shooters out there? I want to get into one cause I used to love an old PC shooter in my younger days but I just get frustrated instead of enjoying R-Type. ;(

Maybe shooters just aren't for me.

Which PC shooter was this? Can you describe it?

I don't think R-Type (1) is a good place to start for those who aren't into shooters. R-Type (1) on the TG-16 was an arcade conversion meaning it retains the difficulty of the arcade. Most shooters on consoles are less difficult since they are tuned to 'console gaming' rather than trying to eat your quarters.

Gradius is good but it is very old. I found Soldier Blade to be easier and more fun than Super Star Soldier. R-Type 3 is fun, but you're probably burnt out on R-Type by now.

One of my favorite shooters has been Life Force (NES) which is bound to appear. Two player co-op, when you die you don't start over (and can save your options), the music is wonderful, the levels are unique and very interesting, and with the 30 life cheat the game can be beaten by newcomers. Aside from being a fun shooter, it is considered one of the best NES games. It is the shmup that I am most eagerly anticipating.

BTW, Contra 3 still kicks ass. I have more fun playing that little game over and over than any of these 3d 'epic' games that come out today.

RaidenZR

It never went "up" officially to buy. People just found the stuff (screens I guess) on the wii shop channel web-hack. They get ready early sometimes.

bumpkin

So the current buzz is Kirby's Adventure NES and Donkey Kong Country SNES for Monday? Do we have any ideas what else?

RaidenZR

It's possible the US might see either New Adventure Island or Chew Man Fu pop up this week- but I wouldn't bet on the former as it hasn't been ESRB rated yet.

Lapsed said:
Which PC shooter was this? Can you describe it?

Hmm for some reason I have the word 'Menace' or 'Menacer' or something when I think of it, it was a left to right shooter like R-Type (thats why I tried out R-Type as apposed to a scrolling upwards sorta one).

I remember you could power up your blasts different ways, by shooting at the little box before you collected it you could change what blast power up you received.

I'm tryin to research it now, it was more than likely a port from an arcade game or somethin.

I use to spend hours playing that and Sorcerian :lol Both games felt more like they belonged on a console instead of a PC game, cause at the time PC games to me were like Kings Quest and Gold Rush adventure games etc heh.

If I tried it again today it would probably kick my ass too, but being young and having fewer games than now a days to play kinda gave you incentive to keep at it and 'get good'.

I miss those days, being able to some how appreciate mostly any game just cause thats all you had lol.

EDIT: Oooo turns out it was perdominatly an Amiga game made by DMA Design (lolgta), but was also ported to PC which is how I ended up playing it.

Menace-2.png

menace01.jpg

Wow, doesn't look like much now-a-days. :lol Certainly brings back some fond memories though! <3

E-phonk

Banned
Just been playing zelda II for a few hours. Damn I like this game so much. Screw the haters. It's also quite hard, especially in the part where I'm now (trying to get the hammer).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
E-phonk said:
Just been playing zelda II for a few hours. Damn I like this game so much. Screw the haters. It's also quite hard, especially in the part where I'm now (trying to get the hammer).

Nintendo should have given wider distribution to those bonus Zelda discs which contained Zelda I, Zelda II, TOoT, and MM on a single GCN disc. A very nice package. I think I'll play with Zelda II on that disc as soon as my exams are over (or maybe 5 minutes tonight :D).

Dr. Jade

im actually really excited about DKC this week ... Nintendo is finally starting to bring out the big guns ... :) ... at this rate I feel comfortable holding out for Star Fox 64 or maybe Mario RPG next week

Top Bottom