• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2015 (Sep 07 - Sep 13)

3DS doesn't matter in any of these events because its games are announced within months rather than WiiU/PS4 titles that are going to be and have been at TGS for years.
Well 3DS had more games last year than Vita. I think the developers already know about the upcoming NX, which is likely going to replace 3DS as successor.

Vena

Well 3DS had more games last year than Vita. I think the developers already know about the upcoming NX, which is likely going to replace 3DS as successor.

I mean, yes, its reasonable to expect that long-term 3DS projects are going to be winding down and coming out without new ones being greenlit as the system has entered twilight and both Nintendo and outside publishers are preparing for the NX.

But my point is that the 3DS is known for its short-time frame releases. Pokemon wasn't at TGS, and there is a very, very large likelihood there is going to be a pokemon game out before the next TGS, meanwhile we've seen P5 at TGS for what feels like half a decade now. And as far as this list goes (http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2015/pdf/release_20150917_title.pdf) Nintendo isn't even listed, neither is YW or Level-5 in general (for example).

Bruno MB

aDdvTgv.png

Wii U doubles its support, thanks to Splatoon the tides are finally turning!

On the contrary, 3DS will be soon in the 3 digits since its support dropped to near Xbox One levels.

BriBri

I've lost count of the number of 3DS games I've covered that aren't on that list

Plus they listed Polara as 3DS only when it's Vita only

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I've lost count of the number of 3DS games I've covered that aren't on that list

Plus they listed Polara as 3DS only when it's Vita only

If you have a list by the way, that'd be quite helpful for the final Road to TGS update this weekend.

BriBri

If you have a list by the way, that'd be quite helpful for the final Road to TGS update this weekend.
Off the top of my head Shantae retail release and Dragon Fang n3DS. I'm not sure whether the three Nicalis localisations were at TGS or just were announced during.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, Puzzle & Dragons is starting to get overtaken on the top grossing charts quite often now by others games than Monster Strike.

Just recently we had PowaPro (Konami), Idolmaster (Bandai Namco), and Dragon Quest Monsters (Square Enix) all get up to slot two in addition to White Cat Project (COLOPL) which makes it up there quite frequently.

Given Mixi's game is also helmed by Okamoto (former Capcom big wig), it's been interesting to see that it's actually overwhelmingly been the stalwart traditional publishers that have knocked down the king.

Most of them really struggled with the transition to mobile, but unlike Gung-Ho, almost all of them have a wide variety of hits to boot, whereas Gung-Ho only has one other game that gets into the Top 100 as far as I can tell despite having years of head start.

Off the top of my head Shantae retail release and Dragon Fang n3DS. I'm not sure whether the three Nicalis localisations were at TGS or just were announced during.

Thanks.

Part of the problem with PAD is that they've been having problems iterating on the formula, at least in ways that make them more money. PADW tanked, the roguelike mode got scrapped, and nothing more about the co-op mode has been shown since its original announcement six months ago.

Their TGS stream is in about twelve hours so we'll see if they make any announcements.

GungHo in general has been pretty slow on releasing more mobile titles, but that might be a better long-term strategy considering what happened to Rovio/Zynga.

So, Puzzle & Dragons is starting to get overtaken on the top grossing charts quite often now by others games than Monster Strike.

Just recently we had PowaPro (Konami), Idolmaster (Bandai Namco), and Dragon Quest Monsters (Square Enix) all get up to slot two in addition to White Cat Project (COLOPL) which makes it up there quite frequently.

Given Mixi's game is also helmed by Okamoto (former Capcom big wig), it's been interesting to see that it's actually overwhelmingly been the stalwart traditional publishers that have knocked down the king.

Most of them really struggled with the transition to mobile, but unlike Gung-Ho, almost all of them have a wide variety of hits to boot, whereas Gung-Ho only has one other game that gets into the Top 100 as far as I can tell despite having years of head start.

I imagine its mostly Gung-Ho placing all their bets in Puzzle and Dragons for those first few years and nothing else they released have really taking off. Now they seem to realize this and starting to promote their other games like Divine Gate getting an anime.

I feel like Mixi/XFlag will start to face this problem too with Monster Strike. They have started much earlier than Gung-Ho in cross-media promotion with the upcoming anime and 3ds game but they don't have anything else to really fall back upon , unlike other companies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I imagine its mostly Gung-Ho placing all their bets in Puzzle and Dragons for those first few years and nothing else they released have really taking off. Now they seem to realize this and starting to promote their other games like Divine Gate getting an anime.

I feel like Mixi/XFlag will start to face this problem too with Monster Strike. They have started much earlier than Gung-Ho in cross-media promotion with the upcoming anime and 3ds game but they don't have anything else to really fall back upon , unlike other companies.

Right, that's why I noted that the other publishers all seem to have many more successful bets. Even Konami has 2-4 successful games. If you go to companies like Namco, Sega, and Square Enix, you start to get to like 7-12+ including some top end hits.

Mixi is supposed to unveil their second game soon, so it will be interesting to see if they can handle what Gung-Ho has not. I feel COLOPL is the most successful Japanese new media company in mobile, especially in terms of number and sustainability of hits. There's and argument to be made for LINE, but they're benefiting tremendously from their platform versus their ability to organically launch hit games.

Part of the problem with PAD is that they've been having problems iterating on the formula, at least in ways that make them more money. PADW tanked, the roguelike mode got scrapped, and nothing more about the co-op mode has been shown since its original announcement six months ago.

Their TGS stream is in about twelve hours so we'll see if they make any announcements.

GungHo in general has been pretty slow on releasing more mobile titles, but that might be a better long-term strategy considering what happened to Rovio/Zynga.
Puzzle & Dragons is certainly still incredibly profitable. I feel those last two you mention though are notably different issues. Rovio failed to transition from the $0.99 appconomy to free 2 play, while Zynga stayed on Facebook for far too long. Supercell ate their Farmville lunch with Hay Day, and King.com managed a vastly more successful transition from Facebook to mobile by going over early and often.

Zynga is a pretty interesting parallel for DeNA and GREE though, who failed to transition from feature phones in a timely fashion and have only just started getting a few bigger hits again despite being the former kings of mobile.

From recent Yoshida interview:
''Also, Sony has seen big success in the Asia market, according to Yoshida, more and more Japanese games are launching with localisation in Asia and seeing more and more success. In fact some games are just as popular in Asia as they are in Europe and that is reflected in sales.''

Asian market is probably also one of the reasons why PS4 is more tempting for Japanese publishers than just domestic sales would suggest.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From recent Yoshida interview:
''Also, Sony has seen big success in the Asia market, according to Yoshida, more and more Japanese games are launching with localisation in Asia and seeing more and more success. In fact some games are just as popular in Asia as they are in Europe and that is reflected in sales.''

Asian market is probably also one of the reasons why PS4 is more tempting for Japanese publishers than just domestic sales would suggest.

Notably, you'll also see a lot of Japanese companies making free 2 play PC online games with Asia in mind.

Capcom has been pretty ecstatic about Onimusha Souls' performance in Taiwan over the years, and made some aggressive investments to follow up on that.

Oregano

The Asian market is probably one of the reasons the PS ecosystem is chosen so much over the 3DS. Nintendo has next to no presence there. It's something they really need to work on.

horuhe

Anyone who can speak Japanese, anything of note in this article?http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201509190012/

It's about Hino, and some trends in the japanese game industry.

- Okamura was presented as the new chairman of CESA.
- According to Okamura, the number of smartphone titles on TGS have increased year on year, and is about 40% of the total of the games exhibited. However, the number of home console games haven't necessarily decreased.
- It has been shown an increase of western developers.
- Okamura highlighted the presence of japanese developers overseas. Japanese influence has been decreasing since 2005 when half of Top 50 in NA were from Japan. For the year 2014, only about 20% were japanese developments.
- Japanese media content was described as a "content with a hidden potential", and mentioned the broadcast in Italy of "Lupin III", the movie "STAND BY ME Doraemon", and the World Tour held by Hatsune Miku as examples.

After that is about Hino and its creativity powers. Some descriptions of Layton, Inazuma and Yokai. Maybe with more time I could continue.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
- Okamura highlighted the presence of japanese developers overseas. Japanese influence has been decreasing since 2005 when half of Top 50 in NA were from Japan. For the year 2014, only about 20% were japanese developments.

I wonder how low this would be if we excluded Nintendo. Maybe 5-10%?

horuhe

I wonder how low this would be if we excluded Nintendo. Maybe 5-10%?

It literally says something about ten titles of the fifty best selling games in NA. I firmly believe at least five are Nintendo games. Anyone could find that information?

Puzzle & Dragons is certainly still incredibly profitable. I feel those last two you mention though are notably different issues. Rovio failed to transition from the $0.99 appconomy to free 2 play, while Zynga stayed on Facebook for far too long. Supercell ate their Farmville lunch with Hay Day, and King.com managed a vastly more successful transition from Facebook to mobile by going over early and often.

Zynga is a pretty interesting parallel for DeNA and GREE though, who failed to transition from feature phones in a timely fashion and have only just started getting a few bigger hits again despite being the former kings of mobile.
Right, but I was comparing the effects of fallout between the companies. Rovio and Zynga both had to shed a lot of staff after being unable to sustain previous demand. GungHo/Softbank's investments thus far have been more to increase their portfolio, so if PAD catastrophically collapsed overnight they could transition easier to other sources of revenue.

Mixi is similar, I think? Except they really only have Monster Strike and nothing else right now.

It literally says something about ten titles of the fifty best selling games in NA. I firmly believe at least five are Nintendo games. Anyone could find that information?

Since they're citing a certain banned site in the slideshow... apparently all 9 are Nintendo titles

Notably, you'll also see a lot of Japanese companies making free 2 play PC online games with Asia in mind.

Capcom has been pretty ecstatic about Onimusha Souls' performance in Taiwan over the years, and made some aggressive investments to follow up on that.

No wonder considering the huge growth all around asia. Sure most of this comes from PC and Mobile but also PS4 is seeing growth even compared to PS2. MS and Nintendo though are pretty much non factors so console success is all about Sony.

The Asian market is probably one of the reasons the PS ecosystem is chosen so much over the 3DS. Nintendo has next to no presence there. It's something they really need to work on.

It's just far easier for Sony because they are global electronics company that has already official presence and distribution channels in pretty much every country around the globe. It costs next to nothing probably to just bring their consoles to those countries. As far as I know Nintendo doesn't even have official presence in countries like Philippines and Indonesia etc. and it costs money to establish official presence just for game consoles.

When you're talking about Asian market - which countries are you referring to, and how big are they in terms of userbase for dedicated devices?

The comparison is not really appropriate in my opinion, since both GREE and Dena started as service companies, developing and releasing social networks and platforms for developers, with limited resources on actual gaming. They suffered from the transition from feature phones to smartphones because the latter basically had the platform itself integrated into the hardware - therefore it was harder to adapt to this new environment, unlike Zynga which was just shortsighter in embracing mobile phones (and actually in focusing too much on the -Ville franchise because there were still money to make on Facebook).

Oregano

It's just far easier for Sony because they are global electronics company that has already official presence and distribution channels in pretty much every country around the globe. It costs next to nothing probably to just bring their consoles to those countries. As far as I know Nintendo doesn't even have official presence in countries like Philippines and Indonesia etc. and it costs money to establish official presence just for game consoles.

True but Nintendo hasn't even really done anything with China where they should have a big advantage. Not only have they had a presence there for years but they've got a lot of content that won't fall victim to censorship.

When you're talking about Asian market - which countries are you referring to, and how big are they in terms of userbase for dedicated devices?

Well even if we're talking about the places where Nintendo does have a presence(Korea, Taiwan & China) it's a small amount of games being released and usually months later. It's not a good presence at all. Of course I imagine region locks just make it that much more difficult.

ZhugeEX

Banned
My japanese isn't very good, but from what I could comprehend it seems to be talking about the diversity in the platforms of games this year at TGS.

Your best bet is PMing salromano.

- According to Okamura, the number of smartphone titles on TGS have increased year on year, and is about 40% of the total of the games exhibited. However, the number of home console games haven't necessarily decreased.
- Japanese media content was described as a "content with a hidden potential", and mentioned the broadcast in Italy of "Lupin III", the movie "STAND BY ME Doraemon", and the World Tour held by Hatsune Miku as examples.

After that is about Hino and its creativity powers. Some descriptions of Layton, Inazuma and Yokai. Maybe with more time I could continue.

Thanks very much for the responses guys. Much appreciated.

That bolded fact is certainly true. And yes, as Nirolak said Nintendo is the biggest Japanese publisher in the US and the third in terms of Marketshare for 2015 out of all publishers in the US.

Probably the ones Sony talked about in their conference thing.
Someone listed them. Maybe Zhuge

Yoshida mentioned today that Japanese games are seeing a lot of success in Asia and some titles are just as popular in Asia as they are in Europe when it comes to sales numbers. Asia is really a growing market for PlayStation.

TxkX2Is.png

China
Hong Kong
Taiwan
South Korea
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Phillipines
Indonesia
Vietnam

Oregano

Nintendo are also the no.2 publisher in Europe going by that other thread. Even with the 3DS and Wii U being so down they are a powerhouse publisher.

Vena

Yoshida mentioned today that Japanese games are seeing a lot of success in Asia and some titles are just as popular in Asia as they are in Europe when it comes to sales numbers. Asia is really a growing market for PlayStation.

TxkX2Is.png

This graph infuriates me for a number of reasons in how it presents its data. The convolution of different economical situations further makes me shake my head at this presentation. (I'm sure you understand Zhuge, and its nothing against you, lol.)

That said, Sony has an enormous advantage in its expansion into Asia over Microsoft and Nintendo that will take a lot of time to overcome from either. Nintendo is especially crippled as they are not a global technology mega-corporation, though they've seemingly been pushing their expansion in some locations in Asia such as Signapore. Given what I've been seeing on bloomberg over the years, I'd say we may see them try and push into China with the next hardware wave as well but that will be a ways off yet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This graph infuriates me for a number of reasons in how it presents its data. The convolution of different economical situations further makes me shake my head at this presentation. (I'm sure you understand Zhuge, and its nothing against you, lol.)

That said, Sony has an enormous advantage in its expansion into Asia over Microsoft and Nintendo that will take a lot of time to overcome from either. Nintendo is especially crippled as they are not a global technology mega-corporation, though they've seemingly been pushing their expansion in some locations in Asia such as Signapore. Given what I've been seeing on bloomberg over the years, I'd say we may see them try and push into China with the next hardware wave as well but that will be a ways off yet.

Well, let's put it simply: where's the y axis? :lol

Vena

Well, let's put it simply: where's the y axis? :lol

Y-axis would be nice but not necessary if you include number ticks with the data points (particularly the middle and final ones), but there's nothing but relative differentiation here with no actual basis of numerical grounding on what or how much is being compared. It would be assumed you're using a linear axis unless otherwise stated.

Graphical Analysis 101: How to positively present information without giving out enough information for an informed conclusion.

Busaiku

Nintendo are also the no.2 publisher in Europe going by that other thread. Even with the 3DS and Wii U being so down they are a powerhouse publisher.
Which is really crazy.
They only have 2 games in the top 20.
Shows how insanely strong their back catalog is.

Vena

Which is really crazy.
They only have 2 games in the top 20.
Shows how insanely strong their back catalog is.

So they achieved no.2 by strength of legs of >20 ranked titles? That's actually rather impressive if I understood you correctly. (Also can I get a link to this thread?)

ZhugeEX

Banned

Oh yeh, I agree. You can't compare PS2 launch in Asia to PS4 launch in Asia for a number of reasons. The disparity shown in "official" software sales is proof of that alone.

Sony do have a huge advantage in Asia and are taking advantage of that. Their support there has been second to none and it's great to see that Asian market can purchase localised games. For the first time in what must be forever we are seeing more purchases of Asian localised games compared to the English/Japanese version in Asia and so it's proving that investing in localisation there is working.

So they achieved no.2 by strength of legs of >20 ranked titles? That's actually rather impressive if I understood you correctly. (Also can I get a link to this thread?)

to be fair (publisher and # of games in top 20):
1. EA: 4
2. Nintendo: 2
3. Take-Two: 2
4. Bandai Namco: N/A, their games weren't listed
5. Warner Bros.: 3
6. Ubisoft: 3
7. Activision Blizzard: 2
8. Sony: 3*

*Minecraft is split with Microsoft of course

also consider that Nintendo is nearly the only one with software on their own system, whereas the other companies all have to compete with each other

Busaiku

Sony is really the only console manufacturer actually taking worldwide seriously.
Meanwhile Nintendo does idiotic things like pulling out of Brazil entirely.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Right, but I was comparing the effects of fallout between the companies. Rovio and Zynga both had to shed a lot of staff after being unable to sustain previous demand. GungHo/Softbank's investments thus far have been more to increase their portfolio, so if PAD catastrophically collapsed overnight they could transition easier to other sources of revenue.

Mixi is similar, I think? Except they really only have Monster Strike and nothing else right now.

Mixi is as if 2015 MySpace came out with a mobile title that made $1.5-$2 billion a year. It's kind of bizarre.

The comparison is not really appropriate in my opinion, since both GREE and Dena started as service companies, developing and releasing social networks and platforms for developers, with limited resources on actual gaming. They suffered from the transition from feature phones to smartphones because the latter basically had the platform itself integrated into the hardware - therefore it was harder to adapt to this new environment, unlike Zynga which was just shortsighter in embracing mobile phones (and actually in focusing too much on the -Ville franchise because there were still money to make on Facebook).
Due to some of the setups they signed with Facebook, I kind of view them as part of platform, but yes, that's certainly true. LINE basically is the closest thing to what they used to be.

to be fair (publisher and # of games in top 20):
1. EA: 4
2. Nintendo: 2
3. Take-Two: 2
4. Bandai Namco: N/A, their games weren't listed
5. Warner Bros.: 3
6. Ubisoft: 3
7. Activision Blizzard: 2
8. Sony: 3*

*Minecraft is split with Microsoft of course

also consider that Nintendo is nearly the only one with software on their own system, whereas the other companies all have to compete with each other
Bandai bought Atari's European distribution a few years ago, so they distribute games like The Witcher which aren't really Japanese productions.

If you look at the first Witcher game, it was actually distributed by Atari in Western Europe, which is where that whole setup came from.

I suspect Bandai's actual Japanese game market share is very low as opposed to the Western titles they ship in various markets.

Vena

Sony is really the only console manufacturer actually taking worldwide seriously.

Given the economic state of Brazil and the company in and of itself, I don't think this was a voluntary decision.

Oh yeh, I agree. You can't compare PS2 launch in Asia to PS4 launch in Asia for a number of reasons. The disparity shown in "official" software sales is proof of that alone.

Sony do have a huge advantage in Asia and are taking advantage of that. Their support there has been second to none and it's great to see that Asian market can purchase localised games. For the first time in what must be forever we are seeing more purchases of Asian localised games compared to the English/Japanese version in Asia and so it's proving that investing in localisation there is working.

Yup, there's an unsatisfied market there.

Oregano

I don't think Nintendo wanted to withdraw from Brazil. IIRC they were having trouble dealing with their distributor and with the struggles the Wii U/3DS have been facing they probably couldn't get leverage. Hopefully NX is more forward thinking and universally targetted.

horuhe

Continuing with the translation, the next headline says: The Secret of the Two Faces of Hino: Creativity and Management. (Lol, it's a joke)

- Hino, who has created a variety of hit content, said the reason is "not a pure management, but a mix of creativity and management". The relationship between the management and the creative team's point of view is the most valuable strenght of Level-5.

- In fact, Hino has experienced almost all occupations of game development.

- About Layton:
- The development of "Professor Layton" started in the time of "Brain Training" boom.
- He wanted to make a high-quality game.
- Development and production costs were about 150 million yen and advertising expenses were about 230 million, being the most important project for the company.
- Although now has become very common having voices recorded in a videogame, at that time wasn't at all. However, Hino hired voice actors for the game. Even though it was a high cost move, Hino adopted it since he felt that would be interensting from the user point of view.
- Initially the project was headed to be named "The Gymnastics of the Brain" but it was found that would take a long time to clear the trademark rights. So, Hino changed the route. "The Gymnastics of the Brain" was the main element of his "Unravel the Puzzle while Enjoying the Story" in Layton series.

- About Inazuma:
- To animate the game was very difficult, mostly because the anime staff side of the project.
- Hino tried to understand the animators necessities and created a feeling of unity.
- That made possible to speak creators firmly and took the role of connecting managment and creation.
- Hino finally succeded in getting a strong cooperation in his cross-media projects.

- About Ni no Kuni:
- Studio Ghibli was an untouchable presence for the game industry.
- Therefore, in order to ensure that Hino would decide all on the spot, they answered in advance various patterns.
- That management cost process was sloppy, so the project didn't lead to profit quite in the middle stage.
- However, was able to succeed because he forcibly allowed to proceed the project even while there were no clear answer to the budget and duration.

- About Yokai Watch:
- Position of Hino in Yokai Watch was General Producer, but rather than only the game, in the cross-media.
- The animation format of Yokai watch was very well-driven.
- Original concept, selection of program staff and introduction of CG dance in the ending theme, were very important elements in this Level-5 initiative.

- Hino has the "authority of management and emperor decision", with the understanding of a deep creativity.

ZhugeEX

Banned
In regards to Nintendo entering Asia market.

I don't see them making any impact at all to be honest.

But then I'm basing that on their current products and capabilities over what NX might bring.

Vena

On the topic of expanding markets...

GreenManGaming Nintendo, after the Humble Bundle Nintendo, makes me think they are very seriously looking at expansion in delivery availability of their products and digital discount environments in lieu of physical venues.

In regards to Nintendo entering Asia market.

I don't see them making any impact at all to be honest.

But then I'm basing that on their current products and capabilities over what NX might bring.

You're just saying that because you know they'll make better Musous of the Chinese Three Kingdom's Era starring Mario as Cao Cao, and then you'd have to buy an NX! :p

Continuing with the translation, the next headline says: The Secret of the Two Faces of Hino: Creativity and Management. (Lol, it's a joke)

- Hino, who has created a variety of hit content, said the reason is "not a pure management, but a mix of creativity and management". The relationship between the management and the creative team's point of view is the most valuable strenght of Level-5.

- In fact, Hino has experienced almost all occupations of game development.

- About Layton:
- The development of "Professor Layton" started in the time of "Brain Training" boom.
- He wanted to make a high-quality game.
- Development and production costs were about 150 million yen and advertising expenses were about 230 million, being the most important project for the company.
- Although now has become very common having voices recorded in a videogame, at that time wasn't at all. However, Hino hired voice actors for the game. Even though it was a high cost move, Hino adopted it since he felt that would be interensting from the user point of view.
- Initially the project was headed to be named "The Gymnastics of the Brain" but it was found that would take a long time to clear the trademark rights. So, Hino changed the route. "The Gymnastics of the Brain" was the main element of his "Unravel the Puzzle while Enjoying the Story" in Layton series.

- About Inazuma:
- To animate the game was very difficult, mostly because the anime staff side of the project.
- Hino tried to understand the animators necessities and created a feeling of unity.
- That made possible to speak creators firmly and took the role of connecting managment and creation.
- Hino finally succeded in getting a strong cooperation in his cross-media projects.

- About Ni no Kuni:
- Studio Ghibli was an untouchable presence for the game industry.
- Therefore, in order to ensure that Hino would decide all on the spot, they answered in advance various patterns.
- That management cost process was sloppy, so the project didn't lead to profit quite in the middle stage.
- However, was able to succeed because he forcibly allowed to proceed the project even while there were no clear answer to the budget and duration.

- About Yokai Watch:
- Position of Hino in Yokai Watch was General Producer, but rather than only the game, in the cross-media.
- The animation format of Yokai watch was very well-driven.
- Original concept, selection of program staff and introduction of CG dance in the ending theme, were very important elements in this Level-5 initiative.

- Hino has the "authority of management and emperor decision", with the understanding of a deep creativity.
Thanks.

Studio Ghibli bit is rather interesting.

Top Bottom