• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

fD2XZs6.gif
You know you messed up once those eyes are fixed in your direction.

Falchion

What's the best way to farm blaze? I had so much a while ago I stopped picking it up but now that I use the blast sling, I've been flying through it.

Platinumed it!! Hoozah!

My favorite game of this generation so far. And maybe my favorite game of all time? The story resonated with me very much so, the designs were beautiful and it is my most screenshotted game. Fantastic.

I get that. But i would rather have a invisible or geographic wall.
If you were to make ALL the borders out of geo, you'd lose the dynamic sense of the environment, because you'd be forced to have a verticle cliff face in every direction. And if you do invisible collision, you could get into some serious trouble by having a huge unseen wall everywhere, which could easily result in players getting stuck if they run up against it certain ways.

A border warning is the best way for big games like this.

Please make more. These are amazing.

Venture

End of the Sun Shall Fall quest spoilers:

Visiting
Dervhal
in prison is
hilarious
! Was not expecting that.

How great a character is Erend? I liked him from the first meeting and he's so well written throughout.
His goodbye speech to Aloy was really sweet.

Those gifs make me want to play again.

We needed a NG+ yesterday GG :p

Agreed. With ME:A being a bit of a let down, I almost wanna start over for my Very hard run. Also have never bothered to get a play and thought it'd be suiting for this to be my first.

Would love the tiniest push to go back and NG+ would do it for sure.

What's the best way to farm blaze? I had so much a while ago I stopped picking it up but now that I use the blast sling, I've been flying through it.
Kill a grazer without shooting any of its canisters. Once you killed it, use harvest arrows from a shadow sharpshot bow and tear them one by one. You should get 24 blazes from one grazer.
With that in mind, do the same to a herd of grazer (which usually has 5) and you should get 120 blazes

spannicus

The credits are rolling. You know that feeling when you're content, satisfied that a challenge has been overcome, but at the same time sad that a journey, an epic adventure has come to it's end?

What a game. This one was really special.
Thats why i cant bring myself to finish it. Too too good.
Its like the sweetest dessert.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
End of the Sun Shall Fall quest spoilers:

Visiting
Dervhal
in prison is
hilarious
! Was not expecting that.

How great a character is Erend? I liked him from the first meeting and he's so well written throughout.
His goodbye speech to Aloy was really sweet.

Erend is one of my favorite side characters in the game. I really enjoyed both his awesome facial hair and his general disposition.

By removing metal plates you may expose the main body, to which you inflict 1x damage, or a weak point (damage multiplier varies)

Status effect application doesn't​ seem to be faster on weakpoints

Spanks, man.

Also, what exactly is happening here? I get that it's an explosive sling grenade, but is it being lobbed into an actual exposed opening for extra damage, or has Sunhi just made it look like that for extra coolness?

SlickVic

Finished the last story mission today. What a journey. Easily among my top games of this generation (exclusives or otherwise). Enjoyed the story a lot, and
loved how much care went into crafting both the story of Aloy's world as well as how the world got the way it did. Especially for a post-apocalyptic story which from my experience tend not to dwell too much on the world before it went to hell. Each story mission that went into how the old world fell, the cost of creating Zero Dawn, then the actual creation and completion of Zero Dawn felt really well paced and really made me appreciate how well realized the backstory for the game was.

Gameplay was so much fun as well. I started the game terrible at aiming the bow, but wound up finding competence the deeper in I got. Final mission
was surprisingly more hectic than I expected doing it at level 46, though I'm kind of glad the game didn't go completely overboard and throw a corrupted Thunderjaw along with the Deathbringer in the last battle. Though come to think of it, throwing a regular Thunderjaw in there potentially could have been fun as an override opportunity.

Think I'll end up playing a bit more to see all the vantage points and collect some power cells. Only trophy that seems a bit tricky to get for the Platinum is the blazing suns trials. Not sure I'll bother to get all of them, but might as well take a stab at it.

B.O.O.M

Why does Eurobeat sound appropriate for this?

We need to climb into a Sawtooth cockpit so I can act like I'm in the Zoids anime.

I approve

Stalker
Thunderjaw
Stormbird

I'm kinda' sad that Stormbirds just fly in endless tight circles instead of roaming the world. I guess if they roamed it could screw up too many quests and hunts-for-fun though.

A stalker? Never considered that. Would be DOPE if we can climb trees and go incognito and shit while riding it hngg

shiba5

Spanks, man.

Also, what exactly is happening here? I get that it's an explosive sling grenade, but is it being lobbed into an actual exposed opening for extra damage, or has Sunhi just made it look like that for extra coolness?

Looks like he's using sticky bombs on it.

Radec

Corruption Arrows are stupidly fun on machine sites.

Watch them kill each other then hit for the last hit or just enjoy the loot.

Way too overpowered. I enjoyed watching Tramplers fight each other the most. 1 trampler horned another one and it exploded like a champ killing both.

Falchion

Kill a grazer without shooting any of its canisters. Once you killed it, use harvest arrows from a shadow sharpshot bow and tear them one by one. You should get 24 blazes from one grazer.
With that in mind, do the same to a herd of grazer (which usually has 5) and you should get 120 blazes

Awesome! About to go stock up!

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Goddammit, I just found out I can use the
elevator
instead of running a long from M.Village to Meridian. LOL.

Memento

Okay, I have one doubt about the story.

I just finished the
Heart of the Nora(?) story mission
, and now I know that Aloy
was created by Gaia using Sobeck's DNA so she could get into the facility and hear the message about how Hades is corrupting Gaia's system and must be stopped
. Okay, I got it, right? But my doubt is:
how did the matriachs found Aloy if she was born inside the facility that was... well, locked by Sobeck's DNA? I seem to remmember that Teeresa said they found Aloy by the gate. Did Gaia threw baby-Aloy out of the facility? I thought she coulnt communicate with the outside world because of its security guidelines?

No spoilers outside of the question please, I am still playing it haha

Falchion

Goddammit, I just found out I can use the
elevator
instead of running a long from M.Village to Meridian. LOL.

I've gotten to the point where when it's time to take the elevator, I just fastravel to the campfire at the base or top of it depending on which way I'm going. The thing just takes too damn long.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I just finished the
was created by Gaia using Sobeck's DNA so she could get into the facility and hear the message about how Hades is corrupting Gaia's system and must be stopped
how did the matriachs found Aloy if she was born inside the facility that was... well, locked by Sobeck's DNA? I seem to remmember that Teeresa said they found Aloy by the gate. Did Gaia threw baby-Aloy out of the facility? I thought she coulnt communicate with the outside world because of its security guidelines?

The Matriarchs found her at the door of the facility which is inside a mountain only they can enter for religious reasons.

Xeteh

I just finished the

Like HStallion said
they found her by the door outside of the facility, in the mountain where only the matriarchs can enter. One of the logs inside even shows the logs of them opening the main doors, closing them and shutting down all within a couple of minutes. The matriarchs presumably enter that room to pray throughout the day and a baby crying would have caught their attention pretty quickly.

Edit: Oops, double post. My bad.

Memento

The Matriarchs found her at the door of the facility which is inside a mountain only they can enter for religious reasons.

Like HStallion said
they found her by the door outside of the facility, in the mountain where only the matriarchs can enter. One of the logs inside even shows the logs of them opening the main doors, closing them and shutting down all within a couple of minutes. The matriarchs presumably enter that room to pray throughout the day and a baby crying would have caught their attention pretty quickly.

Edit: Oops, double post. My bad.

Yeah, I know that
only the Matriarchs could enter the mountain. I just dont get how they found her if they couldnt open the gate, where I believe Aloy was created (inside the facility beyong the gate). I think my question is: was the baby realocated from inside the facility to outside the gate so the matriarchs could see it and take it?

Also where is this log you mentioned?

SlickVic

Yeah, I know that
only the Matriarchs could enter the mountain. I just dont get how they found her if they couldnt open the gate, where I believe Aloy was created (inside the facility beyong the gate). I think my question is: was the baby realocated from inside the facility to outside the gate so the matriarchs could see it and take it?

I thought during the quest right after the proving Teersa mentioned that the door opened on its own and Aloy came out and then shut. My understanding is it was the same door they couldn't open until Aloy finds the override, and the only time it opened prior to that was when Aloy as a baby comes out of it

If anyone was hoping to jump from this to Mass Effect Andromeda but disappointed with the reviews then I really recommend giving Nier Automata a look. It's a phenomenal game that's really pushing the boundaries of both video game narratives and game design. Absolutely worth playing.

I say this since I saw ME:A mentioned and the desire for a NG+ on Horizon. I'd love a NG+ here too, but they'd need to add some new weapons or upgrades to really make it compelling. Perhaps a Ratchet and Clank style challenge mode (where the enemies are really tough), or whatever.

Agreed. With ME:A being a bit of a let down, I almost wanna start over for my Very hard run. Also have never bothered to get a play and thought it'd be suiting for this to be my first.

Would love the tiniest push to go back and NG+ would do it for sure.

Zackat

If anyone was hoping to jump from this to Mass Effect Andromeda but disappointed with the reviews then I really recommend giving Nier Automata a look. It's a phenomenal game that's really pushing the boundaries of both video game narratives and game design. Absolutely worth playing.

I say this since I saw ME:A mentioned and the desire for a NG+ on Horizon. I'd love a NG+ here too, but they'd need to add some new weapons or upgrades to really make it compelling. Perhaps a Ratchet and Clank style challenge mode (where the enemies are really tough), or whatever.

yeah im gonna get it

Xeteh

Yeah, I know that

Its the door you stand in front right after waking up from the Proving that tells you there's data corruption. One of the logs inside that place is basically just a system log of what happened in the last few minutes of that facility and some of the last entries are the main door opening, something being dropped off, closing and then everything shutting down. Aloy was placed outside of the gate, presumably where she stood to be scanned before it denied her stating data corruption.

I really want to pick it up but I'm already holding off on ME:A despite reviews (I'm just curious but I'll wait on a sale) and already ordered Persona 5. So I have a couple weeks to finish Zelda before P5 coming out already, I'll have to wait on Nier.

i can't stop playing this game! Right now I'm doing sidequests and all of them are a joy to play through. they actually have gameplay and narrative depth, with unique scenarios and sometimes even cutscenes. And some are emotional too, didn't expect that o_O

this is my favorite game this gen, goddamn.

latest

Falchion

Sidequest spoiler:
Did the hunt for Redmaw tonight. Such a good mission that was the culmination of some excellent character arcs and a cool fight. Love how Talana calls you Aloy Despite the Nora at the end.

I've done everything you can do in this game now. Platinum trophy, 100%, all the quests, datapoints and locations.

But I want more :(

I need New Game+ or DLC asap!

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Got my hands on the Shadow Stalwart Heavy armor! Aloy looks super badass now. Ngl though, having spent the majority of the game running around in the Nora Protector Heavy armor, I already kind of miss it. Never knew how emotionally attached I would find myself to an outfit lol.

Right now I'm just running around cleaning up corrupted zones and doing the Cauldrons. I'm deliberately keeping from finishing the game any time soon because I could already tell it's gonna leave me feeling pretty lost and empty right after. :(

Yeah, I know that

A servitor was specifically repaired and brought back online to transport baby Aloy outside the gate. It was presumably timed in such a way that the Matriarchs would find her but without them seeing the drop off, as GAIA was specifically forbidden from contacting the outside world in any way.

VanWinkle

I let my brother borrow my copy of Horizon tonight, as he's on vacation starting tomorrow. He's been ALL about PC gaming for the last six months or so, literally hasn't TOUCHED his PS4 since he got his gaming PC.

He could not BELIEVE how good the game looked. Like, he was absolutely stunned. He said he has been playing Witcher 3 (everything on Ultra) and just didn't understand how Horizon looks better. After he played it for a little bit we switched it over to W3 just so he could show me the game since I haven't seen it on PC yet, and, YUP, Horizon looks better is basically every way.

Xeteh

I let my brother borrow my copy of Horizon tonight. He's been ALL about PC gaming for the last six months or so, literally hasn't TOUCHED his PS4 since he got his gaming PC.

He could not BELIEVE how good the game looked. Like, he was absolutely stunned. He said he has been playing Witcher 3 (everything on Ultra) and just didn't understand how Horizon looks better. After he played it for a little bit we switched it over to W3 just so he could show me the game since I haven't seen it on PC yet, and, YUP, Horizon looks better is basically every way.

I can't believe a game that came out two years ago might not look as amazing as a game that came out last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom