• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Phasma novel dives deep into her brutal, apocalyptic past (and explains Ep 7)

Toxi

Banned
Phasma's backstory also explains her current actions in her solo comic directly after escaping the trash compactor,
where she erases all evidence of her sabotage, then proceeds to find and kill a scapegoat to blame said sabotage on. All while Starkiller Base is blowing up around her
I love how damn slimy she is.

Which makes it all the more disappointing how she's used in the film.

Shirke

Oh boy. This should have been in the movie. No more than a minute.

The person she's trying to kill managed to escape Starkiller Base before it went boom, so Phasma's currently chasing him down with another TIE Pilot (and a BB-9 unit) while making a false report on her actions.

It occurs to me that if Phasma had lived in an actual trash compactor for her entire life before the first order it would've been a pretty decent improvement over the hellscape where she actually grew up.

reminds me of someone

But I think the difference is Boba Fett was built from the top down. The script called for a bounty hunter and they had to design a costume for him. The character didn't start with a backstory or get built around how his spin off novels would fit into the canon.

Same with Darth Vader for the most part.

I refuse to see Captain Phasma as the joke character that some GAFers makes her out to be. She looks and sounds too badass.

It's the Boba Fett effect all over again.

The OP's gifs sold me a dozen times over. I'll definitely read this book.

If I remember correctly they did a casting change last minute and that's why her screen time is so limited. I have faith she'll be used correctly in TLJ.

Is there anyone at Lucasfilm that actually signs off on this stuff, or does nobody really care?

I think they have a 'story group' that oversees most of this stuff, but I don't think Rian Johnson or JJ Abrams are ever going to read this book, for example.

But I watched a long behind the scenes thing on Rogue One and they seemed pretty meticulous with a lot of the details. I doubt the movies will go out of their way to re-tell this stuff but I generally believe they won't contradict it, either.

sphagnum

Banned
Is there anyone at Lucasfilm that actually signs off on this stuff, or does nobody really care?

The Lucasfilm Story Group is intensively involved in every part of canon to make sure it synchs up properly. They don't create the stories but they can and do veto things that authors propose to keep everything cohesive. Rian Johnson worked pretty closely with the story group during TLJ (he even had a hand in the book Bloodline).

Everything put out matters now, though the books are clearly supplemental. It's not like the old EU where the books didn't matter at all.

Unit 33

Hey Phasma was one of the better New canon books, I'd put it second only to Twilight Company. Excellent world building and characters. The quality of writing was generally pretty good too.

jett

D-Member
I think they have a 'story group' that oversees most of this stuff, but I don't think Rian Johnson or JJ Abrams are ever going to read this book, for example.

But I watched a long behind the scenes thing on Rogue One and they seemed pretty meticulous with a lot of the details. I doubt the movies will go out of their way to re-tell this stuff but I generally believe they won't contradict it, either.

The Lucasfilm Story Group is intensively involved in every part of canon to make sure it synchs up properly. They don't create the stories but they can and do veto things that authors propose to keep everything cohesive. Rian Johnson worked pretty closely with the story group during TLJ (he even had a hand in the book Bloodline).

Everything put out matters now, though the books are clearly supplemental. It's not like the old EU where the books didn't matter at all.

I see, they have a brain trust of some sort. Better than before at least.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
All this does is add extra credence to the title Captain Jobber. What a waste hopefully she isn't an actual joke character in the other two films.

Gonna be honest, the Stormtrooper that yelled "TRAITOR" was way more interesting to me than Captain Phasma. Just wasn't feeling her. She barely did anything in the movie haha.

If they wanted for us to care about Phasma without having to scour for EU stories no one but the hardest of harcore will ever read they should've at least swapped the TRAITOR guy for Phasma (just not end it by killing her).

Its a crime that that nameless trooper was more memorable than Phasma.

CS_Dan

Finished this last week. It's fucking weird, but I liked it. The moment in your X-Men gif was completely unexpected.

The use of present tense in some of the chapters really rubbed me the wrong way though.

JB1981

Another interesting thing about the book is that it goes into pretty deep detail about the entire process of becoming a modern stormtrooper. How they're chosen, trained, named, perceived. For example, they are micromanaged to the exact way they should shave. Not the end result I mean, but the exact order and timing of their hand movements.

What about pick up lines like "boyfriend, you got a boyfriend?" or comedic one-liners like "Droid please!"

I always figured that she was being set up as the new trilogy's Boba Fett, and that her humiliation in Ep7 was a setup for a revenge storyline in the next movie. Compare that to Boba Fett, who was just doing his job in Empire and had nothing to do in Jedi - it's not personal for him.

Andrew J.

Walked past some copies of this in Target the other day. Never expected it to be good, but maybe now I'll check it out.

Gravidee

They now have a dedicated story group that keeps tabs on everything released so that it all fits as part of a single, established canon.

Azuran

Banned
I don't know why Star Wars fans love to hype non-characters like Boba and Phasma when they barely have any important in the films, which is all that really matters at the end of the day.

Instro

Phasma's backstory also explains her current actions in her solo comic directly after escaping the trash compactor,
where she erases all evidence of her sabotage, then proceeds to find and kill a scapegoat to blame said sabotage on. All while Starkiller Base is blowing up around her

Would be nice if they build this into the next film.

I always figured that she was being set up as the new trilogy's Boba Fett, and that her humiliation in Ep7 was a setup for a revenge storyline in the next movie. Compare that to Boba Fett, who was just doing his job in Empire and had nothing to do in Jedi - it's not personal for him.

Also, this is not an excuse for how poorly the character registered onscreen in Ep7, no more than setup is an excuse for anything else Ep7 did or explained poorly. You make a movie that works well on its own merits first, and then you make it part of a series second. Otherwise you're doing TV.

Jeff-DSA

If they wanted for us to care about Phasma without having to scour for EU stories no one but the hardest of harcore will ever read they should've at least swapped the TRAITOR guy for Phasma (just not end it by killing her).

Its a crime that that nameless trooper was more memorable than Phasma.

Probably because Phasma would have needed to win that fight to keep her cred up.

im sorry but unless this is in the movies it might as well not of happened. (for me)

if phasma gets the same screen time she did in the first with the same development, its still really lacking

s_mirage

Gonna be honest, the Stormtrooper that yelled "TRAITOR" was way more interesting to me than Captain Phasma. Just wasn't feeling her. She barely did anything in the movie haha.

Same. The only thing interesting about Phasma was her shiny suit.

Khezu

I went into that movie blind, so it's really weird to find out they hyped up trash lady to be some kind of cool character lol.

kunonabi

I like the actress a lot so I'm down for anything that fleshes out her character or gives her more to do.

Yeah, I was so happy when it looked like she was getting a solid role in a Star Wars film. That, along with seeing what Leia was up to, and Rey where were the main reasons I saw TFA despite my misgivings. Too bad it just resulted in a great big strike out or me.

Drayco21

Its a shame it's so poorly written. It'd be a real fun Mad Max book otherwise.

I look forward to seeing Cardinal in other things though.

Van Bur3n

I can't take the character seriously after episode 7. She is a walking joke. Like a tin can that got tossed in a dumpster. Because that literally happened.

Lunar15

I'd have been fine with the trash compactor joke if we saw her do something even remotely cool before it happened. She really had no time in the movie to be interesting.

Wait what..
she sabotaged the base? So she's a traitor to the Empire?
She was so forgettable it's hard to remember what she did other than being thrown away like trash.

Drayco21

Wait what..
she sabotaged the base? So she's a traitor to the Empire?
She was so forgettable it's hard to remember what she did other than being thrown away like trash.

Finn, Han and Chewie force her to lower the shields at gunpoint right before throwing her in the garbage.

what she sabotaged is evidence that she did that, to preserve her rank and power.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You know what would be nice.... Actually putting some of this shit into the movies rather then telling people to read a book to find out why Rey can do all the shit she can do, why people are calling Finn Traitor, who the fuck is Poe, etc.

Because right now, Plasma is a complete throw away character.

You know what would be nice.... Actually putting some of this shit into the movies rather then telling people to read a book to find out why Rey can do all the shit she can do, why people are calling Finn Traitor, who the fuck is Poe, etc.

1. Phasma
2. Finn literally betrays the first order in the movie
3. There's no Rey books AFAIK

This was fucking hard for you to grasp?

What on earth...

EDIT: Who Poe is was LITERALLY in the OPENING CRAWL of TFA.

Top Bottom