• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Movie Franchise Reaches Cumulative 70 million+ Admissions in Japan

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Toho, Pokemon's movie distributor in Japan, recently announced with the release of Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (18th film) that the Pokemon series has now reached a cumulative of over 70 million in admissions - it ranks fifth in attendance record.

Toho hopes that the new film will gross ¥3 Billion, a feat not achieved with the last film, Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction, at ¥2.91 billion.

Current estimates have Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages debuting on par or slightly less than last year's film for the weekend (¥393.3 million).

http://www.hochi.co.jp/entertainment/20150718-OHT1T50234.html
Corpse - http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55322

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ash needs to grow up. Where is my dark and gritty reboot ?

Kouriozan

Just a fad.
Really impressive, I wish they would still release those in cinema in France, but they directly go to Disney XD or some other channel.

vinnygambini

Just a fad.
Really impressive, I wish they would still air those in cinema in France, but they directly go to Disney XD or some other channel.

I remember seeing Pokemon The First Movie with my friends when I was a kid. Such a great experience.

I'd like that also too, watching Pokemon movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, and I'd go with my cousin of 8 year-old because he enjoys Pokemon! Free money TPC!

JoeM86

There are 18 Pokemon films? What the hell.

One a year since 1998 :)

1998: Mewtwo Strikes Back
1999: Power of One
2000: Spell of the Unown
2001: Celebi: Voice of the Forest
2002: Heroes: Latios & Latias
2003: Jirachi Wish MAker
2004: Destiny Deoxys
2005: Lucario & The Mystery of Mew
2006: Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
2007: Rise of Darkrai
2008: Giratina & The Sky Warrior
2009: Arceus & The Jewel of Life
2010: Zoroark: Master of Illusions
2011: Black: Victini & Reshiram | White: Victini & Zekrom (They version exclusived the movies..)
2012: Kyurem & The Sword of Justice
2013: Genesect & The Legend of Awakened
2014: Diancie & The Cocoon of Destruction
2015: Hoopa & The Clash of Ages

One a year since 1998 :)

1998: Mewtwo Strikes Back
1999: Power of One
2000: Spell of the Unown
2001: Celebi: Voice of the Forest
2002: Heroes: Latios & Latias
2003: Jirachi Wish MAker
2004: Destiny Deoxys
2005: Lucario & The Mystery of Mew
2006: Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
2007: Rise of Darkrai
2008: Giratina & The Sky Warrior
2009: Arceus & The Jewel of Life
2010: Zoroark: Master of Illusions
2011: Black: Victini & Reshiram | White: Victini & Zekrom (They version exclusived the movies..)
2012: Kyurem & The Sword of Justice
2013: Genesect & The Legend of Awakened
2014: Diancie & The Cocoon of Destruction
2015: Hoopa & The Clash of Ages

I need to catch up, I stopped after Rise of Darkrai which I saw when they aired it on Cartoon Network.

What was the difference between the Victini movies?

wmlk

I need to catch up, I stopped after Rise of Darkrai which I saw when they aired it on Cartoon Network.

What was the difference between the Victini movies?

Not much of a difference. One with Reshiram and the Hero of Truth and the other with Zekrom and the Hero of Ideals.

Hazu

Best Pokemon movie ever.

180px-AncientMewThePowerofOnepromo.jpg

Save us Yo-Kai Watch
honestly they need to be a bit more careful with that franchise, i think they are advertising way too much. its doing really really successful right now, but too many games(which there are a lot of them), too many products, too many ads can turn people off eventually.

JoeM86

Not much of a difference. One with Reshiram and the Hero of Truth and the other with Zekrom and the Hero of Ideals.

Don't forget the two trainers who had a Shiny Pokémon in one, but not in the other :p

Though the prologue is different.

Black starts in an ice land
M54.jpg

White starts in a desert
M71.jpg

Bass260

I wish they still released them in the theaters here.

Still have all my movie promo cards somewhere. The VHS Pikachu one is up on my wall.

wmlk

honestly they need to be a bit more careful with that franchise, i think they are advertising way too much. its doing really really successful right now, but too many games(which there are a lot of them), too many products, too many ads can turn people off eventually.

I think the main problem would be Level-5 not keeping up with the demand and their own pacing of releases.

Where Pokémon has an established schedule, YW is just pumping things out very fast and they may be accelerating a little too much. YW3 next year and when it releases should be a pretty good indicator.

Illucio

Banned
I really wish they had a separate Pokemon anime/movie series for the older fans. After Pokemon Origins I've been craving for more.

Hoopa could had at least went a little more dark, why is it so hard to have just one pure evil Pokemon. Or to have a villain successfully win and was proven to be the good guy because they actually did the right thing and Ash was always helping the bad guy.

But the movies are for kids, but if I watch any of these stories as a kid I'd be solely entertained. Kids are much smarter then everyone gives them credit for.

Wish they'd bring the movies back over here. I know for the Pokemon Mall Tour for Black and White, they ran out of tickets for the showing at the theater in the mall. I managed to go to the Victini movie showing at a nearby theater that was playing it and the free swag was awesome.

Bring Movies over here + distribute Pokemon in the theaters or give away a special promo card again would be killer.

fedexpeon

Banned
Pikachu will be this generation Micky Mouse huh?
It will never die, and when we are in our 80s and dying, Ash and Pikachu will still be there.

Update:

It's official, sadly Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages debut was lower than anticipated.

Comparatively to Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction Japanese debut at ¥393.3 million, the new film grossed ¥384.1 million - the second lowest opening in the franchise.

Yokai pls

http://www.47news.jp/topics/entertainment/oricon/culture/177370.html

I think it's less about Yokai and more about people just generally not being as interested in the anime anymore.

vinnygambini

I think it's less about Yokai and more about people just generally not being as interested in the anime anymore.

The anime/films are a marketing vehicle for the brand. If the public are not interested in them, it signals weakness.

Yokai Watch has changed the landscape of Pokemon drastically.

In my opinion, The Pokemon Company have become complacent and predictable - they need to shake things up.

They need to reinvigorate the brand, 3D CG film could be that ticket. It worked for Doraemon, and should easily be achievable with Pokemon.

Sandfox

The anime/films are a marketing vehicle for the brand. If the public are not interested in them, it signals weakness.

In my opinion, The Pokemon Company have become complacent and predictable - they need to shake things up.

They need to reinvigorate the brand, 3D CG film could be that ticket. It worked for Doraemon, and should easily be achievable with Pokemon.

If anything I would say they improved things quite a bit with the current anime based on clips I've seen. CG would probably be going a bit too far though IMO.

People are just more interested in the actual games than the "marketing", the games still sell ridiculously well and still outperform Yokai, I think it's just that people have grown tired of the anime. I do agree that after they finish the XY stuff they should do something to shake up the anime and the films for Gen VII though.

Oregano

I never said that!

It is true that they struggling somewhat though.

It doesn't help that TPC/Gamefreak and Nintendo have apparently been at odds about stuff. Nintendo going mobile means TPC/Gamefreak will probably get their way with Pokemon being multiplatform.

udivision

If it found its way to American theaters and was on the level of American 3D movies, that might be wort it.

But I don't see that happening so it would be unnecessarily expensive and would be targeting mainly the same market.

vinnygambini

If it found its way to American theaters and was on the level of American 3D movies, that might be wort it.

But I don't see that happening so it would be unnecessarily expensive and would be targeting mainly the same market.

Doraemon Stand By Me (3D) gross was $79 million in Japan comparatively to its $33 million gross for the anime film - same market, broader reach.

Furthermore, North America is not the only important market for TPC. Doraemon Stand By Me grossed over $74.4 million in China.

Pokemon is a global brand - TPC need to act like it.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/
http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

It doesn't help that TPC/Gamefreak and Nintendo have apparently been at odds about stuff. Nintendo going mobile means TPC/Gamefreak will probably get their way with Pokemon being multiplatform.

Pokemon was already multi-platform with various mobile apps already on the market prior to the newly announced launch of Pokemon Shuffle for IOS/Android.

What you won't see however is fully-fledged Pokemon game on other platforms. Nintendo hold the publishing & distribution rights to any game related software to the Pokemon license.

People are just more interested in the actual games than the "marketing", the games still sell ridiculously well and still outperform Yokai, I think it's just that people have grown tired of the anime. I do agree that after they finish the XY stuff they should do something to shake up the anime and the films for Gen VII though.

I'm just hoping that the above comes to reality in Gen VII.

Doraemon Stand By Me (3D) gross was $79 million in Japan comparatively to its $33 million gross for the anime film - same market, broader reach.

Furthermore, North America is not the only important market for TPC. Doraemon Stand By Me grossed over $70 million in China.

With Nintendo branching out to possibly license their IP for animated movies GameFreak could hop on that and try and get a deal with a western studio like Universal to get a CG movie that is an original story that doesn't use the anime's characters and is made with a worldwide audience in mind with a worldwide theatrical release and a load of marketing to go with it. That could be a huge hit.

Oregano

Furthermore, North America is not the only important market for TPC. Doraemon Stand By Me grossed over $70 million in China.

Pokemon was already multi-platform with various mobile apps already on the market prior to the newly announced launch of Pokemon Shuffle for IOS/Android.

What you won't see however is fully-fledged Pokemon game on other platforms. Nintendo hold the publishing & distribution rights to any game related software to the Pokemon license.

I'm just hoping that the above comes to reality in Gen VII.

I wouldn't be so sure. That's apparently exactly what Gamefreak wanted and with Nintendo now publishing on mobile they'll be pushing again and they might not face as strong an opponent as Iwata in the future. It didn't take long for Shuffle to be ported over and Creatures has already ported all the Pokemon character models.

The anime just needs some god damn progression.

I think most folks, including kids, may indeed be getting tired of this formula where it's Ash, getting badges, cherry-picks Pokemon as opposed to catching them all (like he was supposed to be doing...), reaching the league, losing said league, restart with another group of folks, almost never carrying over from a previous region, etc.

It's so overdone.

Ash needs to age, he needs to get back that thirst for filling that thing called a Pokedex, he needs to WIN leagues. Finish his story and pass the torch to another, or at least bring back fan fav characters and don't toss them in the garbage every time the region finishes.

And STOP releasing Pokemon that actually have a personality and are good. :/

And remember you have a god damn Pidgeot, who I swear by now is just plain miserable and lost his mind after being abandoned for nearly two decades with a broken promise of being seen again.

harmonize

the anime/movies doing poorly is a reflection of the series continuing loss of the evergreen younger audience, who are moving on to other video game franchises like YW/Minecraft/mobile stuff and are thus not growing up with Pokemon at nearly the same degree as the younger audiences of the past. the older 24-30 Gen 1 audience continues to return, which alleviates much of the lost sales the games would otherwise sustain, but most of them won't watch the anime regardless of whether they're playing the games or buying the merchandise since it's in no way targeted towards them, which is why the drop in the anime ratings and film revenue aren't necessarily corresponding with an equally huge drop in game sales.

vinnygambini

With Nintendo branching out to possibly license their IP for animated movies GameFreak could hop on that and try and get a deal with a western studio like Universal to get a CG movie that is an original story that doesn't use the anime's characters and is made with a worldwide audience in mind with a worldwide theatrical release and a load of marketing to go with it. That could be a huge hit.

I'm personally hoping that is the case.

Universal have mentioned that they want to increase their kids portfolio (Despicable Me, Minions), and so I'm hoping with the Nintendo theme-park deal, they grabbed the Mario & Pokemon license for films.

Killer opportunity.

Top Bottom