• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

Cornbread78

If anyone isn't convinced now, then they weren't going to buy one to begin with (which is perfectly fine).

pretty much, their 1st party line-up does nothing for me, or my kids anymore. I have 2 Wii's in the house that haven't really gotten any use in 2 years now outside of Just Dance 4... If they got some great 3rd party games then that might sway me, but I've already been burnt once....

Koralsky

Will buy Wii U after the first price drop for Bayo 2, Mario Galaxy 3/ Galaxy 1/2HD and Wind Waker HD/Next Zelda.

And after I buy my PS4 :)

Orayn

I was already going to get a Wii in March for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but after today's Nintendo Direct...

xOFjX.png

Very yes.

SmokyDave

No. In fact, the VC 'discount' just reminded me why I won't deal with 'em at all. None of the games announced are my cup of tea either.

Nope.

Nintendo needs new franchises. I’m sick to death of the same old franchises. They’re also screwed when it comes to third-party support....

Some of the stuff they showed today is certainly promising (FINALLY!). But once next gen is unveiled I doubt I’ll care as much as I do now.

Heartfyre

If I weren't living away from my country of residence until the summer, I wouldn't be posting here because I would be en-route to a video game store to pick up a Wii U.

As it stands, it'll have to wait until the instant I'm back home. Considering picking it up while travelling back from the airport.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not really. Glad it's getting some games that look interesting, though. If PS4 launch price is too much for me then I could get a Wii U instead, but not now.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
No, but I never planned on buying one anytime soon. Once the new Mario/Zelda/Smash games are released Im sure I'll get one.

ascii42

I bought the Wii really late, so I haven't beaten much of anything on it. I've got to beat those games before I'm going to feel like buying a WiiU.

legacyzero

Banned
Not just yet.... Although, they are fucking hitting it hard now.

Zombie U already has me wanting a Wii U.
That new Monolith game certainly has my attention.
Windwaker HD?? Starting to shake now........

Now give me a proper Metroid game from Retro, and you have my money N.

Honestly, had I known support would be this barren between now and fall, I would have waited on buying a Wii U and picked it up later this year. I'm not huge on Nintendo games so Mario Kart and Smash Bros don't interest me. Xenogears/blade/whatever and the Platinum games do, however... and they ain't coming for a while.
I should have waited. Oh well.

blamite

I'm not there yet, but I'm dangerously close. I'll inevitably buy one when Smash comes out, but Depending on what they do with the next 3D Mario, I could easily end up getting one sooner for it and Wind Waker.

Salaadin

Wind Waker HD isnt enough but Smash Bros and Mario are. Mario Kart helps too but I prefer that on a portable.

I will own one the day Smash Bros comes out. Thats the big system seller to me. Until then, Ill wait patiently.

clav

I plan to buy a Wii-U near the end of its life cycle as that is the same approach I will do for the 3DS.

I won't make the same mistake I did with Wii and the DS Lite as both early adopters.

These games are just upgrades of their Wii brothers who are upgrades of their Gamecube ancestors.

entremet

I don't know how they would if they just showed the common Nintendo fare you see in every Nintendo console release. If you're not into those games, why would you purchase the console?

As soon as the Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 or the new Monolith game are released I'll get one. Absolutely loved Xenoblade, so not missing out on this! Also interested in the new Yoshi game and maybe Wind Waker.

Yoshi's Yarn - nope
Wind Waker HD - hd remakes are a no
Wonderful 101 - good, confusing but good
X - great
New Mario - nope
New Mario Kart - nope
New Smash Bros - nope
New Zelda - maybe but years away

So no, not even close yet. No killer apps unless you really love the same Nintendo franchise games.

orioto

Good Art™
The Xeno game could give me the need for the console, but i didn't like Xenoblade actually... I would give it a chance anyway cause it looks badass!

Metaroo

I definitely intend to wait till after E3 to see what Sony and Microsoft have in store. With that being said, I'm ten times more excited about Wii U stuff. I'll purchase one soon enough.

MechaX

I'll have to admit, FE x SMT pretty much solidified me eventually purchasing the system.

Xenoblade II was just icing on the cake.

No. Most of those games were already expected. And I don't care about the other ones. There are still more thing that I don't like about the Wii U than things I like.

Absolutely not.

Some recycled franchises with a new coat of paint and a JRPG is hardly exciting to me.

As Stump said in the other thread, this is about what we expected from Nintendo. First party was never going to be an issue. Third party output will continue to be miserable and only get worse when the next gen consoles hit quite likely.

They're getting closer to be sure. What with Bayo2 and the HD Windwaker they're making some strong arguments for me. But I just really don't want to hitch my wagon to a console that I'll end up neglecting like what happened with me and my Wii.

Westlo

Now we all know that the Wii U has gotten flack for not having any games that supposedly pushed the platform to its best potential and some criticizing it for having lackluster release titles that hadn't yet convinced them that investing in the Wii U was worth it. I myself was one of those who figured that jumping into the Wii U just wasn't worth it.

And then we had the Nintendo Direct today.
NEW YOSHI GAME. WIND WAKER HD. FIRE EMBLEM X SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI. CONFIRMED SMASH BROS, NEW MARIO, AND AND MARIO KART AT E3.

As I said in another thread, it's as if Nintendo went online and literally looked at every piece of wild speculation surrounding this Direct and made it a reality. So with these Nintendo titles, are you finally willing to invest in the Wii U, or does Nintendo still need to do something else and if so, what is that thing?

No, not yet.

Yoshi Game - Expected and meh.
Wind Walker HD - Definitely something I would get if I had the system, but no system seller.
Fire Emblem x SMT - Now this could be really fucking awesome... but when will I get to play an English version of it? 2015?
Smash Bros - Was always coming anyway, not my type of game...
3d Mario - Was always coming anyway...
Mario Kart - Series has fallen the fuck off and was always coming anyway...
New zelda - Seems a long way off, has my interest but sometimes you don't change things that aren't broken... who knows if they'll go through with this version of Zelda in the end too.. and it seems a long way off
Monolith's X - Okay this is the game for me, but again the question is when.

LuuKyK

The only real surprise from direct was X and the only one that looked very cool imo. As I have to choose one new console (I cant buy them all) I will probably wait for the PS4/720 to see what they offer + they will probably have all the 3rd party support they can get, something Nintendo is struggling with. Maybe after that I will consider the Wii U but I doubt I will chose that anyway. But I will probably buy one one day like I did with Wii (I bought one last year and had lots of fun with it).

They revealed virtually no release dates. Anyone who would actually run out to buy a system for games that may or may not come out a year or more from now is an idiot. The Monolift game looked really early and we already know that Smash is most likely 2014 too.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
If I didn't already have one, this would have made me jump in.

falconzss

Would have bought one for Bayo2 anyway. The games are still too far off though. No reason to jump the gun and buy the console now.

Ricky_R

Nope, and they will probably never will. I just don't have any interest in any of their games anymore. There are enough people out there that will enjoy Nintendo for me though.

Top Bottom