• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE Sony 09 blowout - LittleBigPlanet PSP, Uncharted 2, Price cuts & more

OldJadedGamer said:
Never?

69d511aec0c673bc266e8f3cdb8f3604.image.225x201.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew1QUZlF1l0

It's amazing to see how far they've come.

neojubei said:
I hope Sony releases some more God of War 3 media soon. That small teaser at E3 isn't enough.
That's something that I think they're pretty likely to save until they can do a gigantic rollout in an attempt to dominate one or another gaming trade show.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
bishoptl said:
Well, that's his last one, so dip a cigar in your favorite intern to celebrate.

Oooh, time for some KZ2!
Not that he was too bad but some people need to learn when to just bight their tongue. There are several users who constantly rag on any news from their least favorite console. People just can't accept good news sometimes.

Glad you stepped in and put a stop to it.

davygee

Banned
neojubei said:
I hope Sony releases some more God of War 3 media soon. That small teaser at E3 isn't enough.

I was sure around August time, there was some info doing the rounds that we would see some footage later this year.

Seeing as the game has been in development for some 18 months or so, I'm sure they will have something for us shortly.

Also, do we realistically think they will not release the game until 2010.

I think it will be an autumn 2009 release.

DrXym

The PS3 does need a price cut. Combined with a slim model.

I still don't get what the hold-up is on a slim model. They could have done it this year and cleaned up. The current model is just too bulky, and combined with price must be artificially suppressing interest in the platform.

I also think the Japanese model would benefit ENORMOUSLY if it was also a blu-ray recorder with TV tuner. The thing would fly off the shelves.

J-Rzez

Price cut seems odd one month (?) after KZ2, you'd think they'd get it down at the same time, unless their train of thought is let the game push the units out at the old price first. Unfortunately, in this day and age, target or somebody will leak an ad or report out early and everyone will know and just wait.

Uncharted 2, we all know it's coming, I don't think there will be a huge tech leap but I'm sure it'll be noticeably upgraded in the end. Can't wait as Uncharted was a close 2nd to my favorite game this gen, hope they keep the formula the same with how awesome the characters were and the way the story is conveyed in style.

GoW3, I wouldn't doubt that it looks like CG or whatever. The old ones looked incredible on the PS2 even. Way their set pieces are designed, wouldn't be a stretch that it may be the best looking game of the gen when it hits.

tzare

i expect uncharted 1.5 technically , as the first one was already excellent and still one of the best games this gen technically .In terms of lenght and gameplay wish it blows away the firts game , hopefully with online play similar to GOW to give the game legs, and also to give PS3 owners a similar experience as 360 ones have with gow.

I also have great expectations for motorstorm on psp :)

There's no way the PS3 will be selling more than the 360 especially with the new £199 GoW bundle out. That's a good £100 less plus it comes with 2 games and an extra controller.

Sony have missed a big opportunity by not lowering the cost before Christmas.

thuway

tzare said:
i expect uncharted 1.5 technically , as the first one was already excellent and still one of the best games this gen technically .In terms of lenght and gameplay wish it blows away the firts game , hopefully with online play similar to GOW to give the game legs, and also to give PS3 owners a similar experience as 360 ones have with gow.

I also have great expectations for motorstorm on psp :)

I expect the second game to be far more beefier, legnthier, and puzzle oriented than the first. Graphically, I think it'll be something to withhold because it will use the tech from Motorstorm, Killzone 2, and Wipeout HD. That in and of itself is something to not scoff at.

Uncharted online play would be wild...imagine, customizing your very own pirate/treasure hunter/spelunker, and battling in a wild array of South American/tropical maps.

mountain_duwe said:
Uncharted online play would be wild...imagine, customizing your very own pirate/treasure hunter/spelunker, and battling in a wild array of South American/tropical maps.
Not every game needs online play these days, I hope the sequel will be another great sp only experience.

BeeDog

Hellraizer said:
Not every game needs online play these days, I hope the sequel will be another great sp only experience.

Agreed to a degree. Co-op would be really damn sweet if they are able to pull it off, but competitive MP is totally unneccessary.

marwan

Banned
_leech_ said:
Not really sure how Motorstorm would work on the PSP...

huh? what make it not work on the PSP? it's not like the game uses any kind of special controls!

and regarding the source, something tells me it's very reliable.

Linkified

Hellraizer said:

But what do you do after you've gone through the game then, trade it in. Thats why I think they are bound to do something. May not even be standard online play. Say for instance:

A mode like that in Gears 2 of a horde like mode where pirates are trying to take various relics you have to defeat the wave of pirates and defend the relics.

swerve said:
I must assume you're talking in terms of technical visual achievement, as opposed fun or style.

In which case, it'll only be shitting on other games until the next one. Hardly a great achievement being the newest big budget game.

No, it definitely does that too. I'm playing the KZ2 beta now more than Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 multiplayer. It's just a far better experience imho, and definitely the best competitive multiplayer title I've played this gen.

Killzone 2 will stand amongst other tier 1 franchises like Halo 3 that get played for years to come. I'd say that's quite the accomplishment for a title that still gets dogged for its past.

womfalcs3 said:
A second game is in the works. Thus it has become a franchise. No game has been so fun to play so far. No game has made me feel like I'm playing a game from my childhood. Pure fun.

I agree with this. Uncharted is still my favorite single player experience this gen. Something just really meshes with me in terms of the charming characters, the awesome music, and the lush environments. It's really radically different than most titles you get today in terms of presentation and production values. That doesn't mean Uncharted was perfect, far from it, but it's quickly becoming one of my favorite new IPs for this gen. Hopefully Uncharted 2 adds some elements that really make it the blockbuster title it deserves to be.

Linkified said:
But what do you do after you've gone through the game then, trade it in. Thats why I think they are bound to do something. May not even be standard online play. Say for instance:

A mode like that in Gears 2 of a horde like mode where pirates are trying to take various relics you have to defeat the wave of pirates and defend the relics.

Uncharted definitely needs multiplayer modes. There's no excuse not to have a 'horde' type mode (hopefully that expands on the concept EPIC introduced), or a competitive multiplayer.

I don't want to see the single player experience cheapened by co-op, but it definitely does need some form of co-operative and competitive online modes.

DrXym said:
The PS3 does need a price cut. Combined with a slim model.

I still don't get what the hold-up is on a slim model. They could have done it this year and cleaned up. The current model is just too bulky, and combined with price must be artificially suppressing interest in the platform.

I also think the Japanese model would benefit ENORMOUSLY if it was also a blu-ray recorder with TV tuner. The thing would fly off the shelves.

That would be nice, but how much would that cost Sony? The PS3 is already expensive enough and it really doesn't need anything else jacking it's cost up when it needs to be cheap as possible to make some kind of impact in Japan.

I never expected Uncharted 2 to be a visual leap over it's predecessor, so this is not even slightly surprising. Should be great though.

I don't know how legitimate the price drop is, but I doubt Sony would even mention this early when it will just give Nintendo and Microsoft a chance to counter. It's just not good strategy giving hints about a price drop nearly 5 months early. Also, I am not sure if March is a good month for a price drop.

Linkified

Private Hoffman said:
Uncharted definitely needs multiplayer modes. There's no excuse not to have a 'horde' type mode (hopefully that expands on the concept EPIC introduced), or a competitive multiplayer.

I don't want to see the single player experience cheapened by co-op, but it definitely does need some form of co-operative and competitive online modes.

Totally agree with you Hoffman. I personally think Naughty Dog could introduce some very creative mutliplayer modes as well as extend a 'Horde' type mode.

One thing I do want to see from an Uncharted 2 is that if Nathan goes into water, I want his hair to get wet.

WrikaWrek said:
Uncharted doesn't need multiplayer at all.

It does. Sony wants you to keep that disk. Therefore after people have finished the single player, they'll no doubt trade in the game. Sony gets no money from that preowned copy. Thereofre by having an addictive multiplayer component attached to Uncharted 2. That they keep going by dlc(paid/free), keeps the product going as well as getting the money on new copies of the game bought.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Private Hoffman said:

co-op, maybe. Actually yes, in Uncharted's case it could work out really well. But why does it need competitive multi? I hate this trend where people think a game isn't complete if it doesn't have mp thrown in. Look at Condemned 2, they put resources into mp modes and nobody played them. In Uncharted's case, they'd do better to just focus everything on the train ride.

WrikaWrek said:

yep.

WrikaWrek said:

No it doesn't but it'll get penalized if it isn't there. Then again reviews can be fairly worthless anyways.

A bit longer would be nice though, the first had an ok length but I wanted a bit more.

WrikaWrek said:

Doesn't need it in order to be a great game? I agree.

It does need it if it wants to sell more. It's just a fact that well executed multiplayer titles boost sales.

Darunia said:
co-op, maybe. Actually yes, in Uncharted's case it could work out really well. But why does it need competitive multi? I hate this trend where people think a game isn't complete if it doesn't have mp thrown in. Look at Condemned 2, they put resources into mp modes and nobody played them. In Uncharted's case, they'd do better to just focus everything on the train ride.

yep.

What's wrong with having competitive multiplayer play? It's basically the same core gameplay as Gears. Did Gears 2 not need competitive play?

Linkified

Private Hoffman said:
What's wrong with having competitive multiplayer play? It's basically the same core gameplay as Gears. Did Gears 2 not need competitive play?

Exactly, I think its people are afraid that they would use Drake as a possible skin for a competitive multiplayer mode. But you could have pirate fraction vs pirate fraction. And it would be nice to play a game like Uncharted in a mutliplayer context for all the lucious plants that could occupy the maps. :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
No it doesn't but it'll get penalized if it isn't there. Then again reviews can be fairly worthless anyways.

A bit longer would be nice though, the first had an ok length but I wanted a bit more.

It doesn't get penalized. And if you wanna make up for the lack of multiplayer, try offering a bit more re playability with the level design.

Private Hoffman said:
Doesn't need it in order to be a great game? I agree.

It does need it if it wants to sell more. It's just a fact that well executed multiplayer titles boost sales.

I don't agree. Uncharted isn't seen as a shooter, it's like saying that Tomb Raider needs mp. It doesn't.

It's an adventure game, not a war game, so MP doesn't exactly come into play as far as expectations go.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Private Hoffman said:

There's nothing wrong with multiplay. All I'm saying is that there's a possibility that it could go wrong and the quality of the campaign might suffer because of it.

Your reason for wanting competitive play is just that it might 'boost sales'. Not that you really felt the game as a package needed it.

Also personally, about Gears? No for me it doesn't need multi because all I play is co-op campaign :p

If Uncharted 2 has multi and both sides are equally polished (which is likely with a team like ND) that's an impressive achievement, but if the team feels like they're better off making an even better campaign... That'd be a choice I'd respect.

All I'm saying is that I hate this trend where games that are clearly sp experiences 'need' mp.

Linkified said:
Exactly, I think its people are afraid that they would use Drake as a possible skin for a competitive multiplayer mode. But you could have pirate fraction vs pirate fraction. And it would be nice to play a game like Uncharted in a mutliplayer context for all the lucious plants that could occupy the maps. :lol
Ok, now lets all imagine Uncharted 2 Multiplayer. Yeah sounds awesome.

Now everyone think back on Condemned 2 and Darkness.

Back to Uncharted 2 Multiplayer. Yeah. No.

I compare Uncharted to those because Uncharted, just like the other two, feels like a pure SP game, a MP mode could just be something that got forced (like it did in Condemned and Darkness)...and the chances that it's executed poorly then are high (like they were in Condemned and Darkness) as I dont see it fit in a game like this.

Stage On

Wth why did they let us know they would be having a price drop in march now?

I mean why would we bother to buy it now when we know we can wait a couple months and get it cheaper now?

Stage On said:
Wth why did they let us know they would be having a price drop in march now?

I mean why would we bother to buy it now when we know we can wait a couple months and get it cheaper now?

They didn't. This is supposedly leaked info.

Loudninja

Linkified said:
Totally agree with you Hoffman. I personally think Naughty Dog could introduce some very creative mutliplayer modes as well as extend a 'Horde' type mode.

One thing I do want to see from an Uncharted 2 is that if Nathan goes into water, I want his hair to get wet.

It does. Sony wants you to keep that disk. Therefore after people have finished the single player, they'll no doubt trade in the game. Sony gets no money from that preowned copy. Thereofre by having an addictive multiplayer component attached to Uncharted 2. That they keep going by dlc(paid/free), keeps the product going as well as getting the money on new copies of the game bought.

Really it does not Uncharted did well without it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Single player games are increasingly difficult to sell with the current competition, and I get the impression that more and more people buy used games/trade games now than in the past. And a sequel can be difficult to sell unless the first game was a major hit. The vast majority of gamers who didn't play Uncharted 1 (me included) will never bother with the sequel.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
painful fart said:
No, I don´t think they will allow sex. Sorry to rain on your parade.

It'd work really well though like GOW QTE's tap X to control thrust, waggle the controller to control for directon, then oral etc could be sequenced, its so obvious.

Top Bottom