• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247 Rumor: PS4 > Xbox 720; NowGamer Rumor: Xbox 720 > PS4

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Developer sources, speaking after meetings at CES, have told VG247 that the next PlayStation, codenamed Orbis, will have a run-capability of 1.84 teraflops. Conversely, the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, will be able to achieve 1.23 teraflops.

If true, these numbers mean PlayStation 4 will have a 33% raw, computational power advantage over Xbox 720.

While PS4 will have greater grunt that 720, however, the Microsoft machine has significantly more RAM at 8Gb, we’ve been told. Our source said that 3Gb is reserved for the OS, apps and security, leaving 4-5Gb for games.

Orbis will have 4Gb of RAM, said our source, of which 1Gb will be reserved for for OS, security and apps, leaving some 3Gb for games.

Both machines will supposedly have have the ability to read 100Gb Blu-ray discs.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/17/showtime-ps4-rumoured-at-1-84tf-xbox-720-at-1-23tf/

Interesting if true. Their rumors match the ones we know currently.

Nowgamer also posted the exact opposite - http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1769813/nextgen_xbox_720_will_be_more_powerful_than_ps4_report.html

Via Pat

From what I've been told today, a lot of stuff is about to get leaked based on CES meetings.

Previous VG247 Rumors:

Xbox 720 has 2 GPUs, 4-6 core CPU, requires internet connection to play games

PS4 uses A10 APU, dev kits have 8-16 GB of RAM

PlayStation Vita uses a four core Cell CPU

Note:

Multiple of GAF's favored sources have implied both rumors are wrong.

netBuff

Didn't previous rumours also suggest that while the next Xbox is going to have more RAM, the PS4 will have significantly faster RAM?

With more computational power and (presumably) no forced Kinect-type device, I know which console I'm more interested in (although I'll likely end up with both). But who knows whether this article is even remotely true or not.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Why do these rumors just sound like they are being grabbed from other places we already know and polished up? Also 3GB just for the OS on Durango? Good grief man, gotta make sure that Kinect works spot on.

PaulLFC

I think this has been rumoured in the past threads also, it'll be interesting to see if it's true when we finally get specs. Good for Sony if it is.

One thing that is definitely new though is Durango supposedly using 3 gigs for the OS, that's... a lot more than I was expecting it to use. Doesn't Win7 only use 1 gig?

Shion

eihrj.jpg

nickcv

Why do these rumors just sound like they are being grabbed from other places we already know and polished up? Also 3GB just for the OS on Durango? Good grief man, gotta make sure that Kinect works spot on.

1 GB is for the ads
1 GB is for kinect
1 GB is for the rest of the OS

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Yeah, most of these numbers have been all over GAF in the last month at least.

As for that 3GB, people forget the original Xbox rumours of the system coming with a shit-ton of RAM with a lot being purposed for cable channel recording duties, which would need to be an "always on" background feature. Originally it was going to be halves: 4gb for that, 4gb for games, but I guess plans have shifted a little.

So if the rumors of the ps4 have fast DDR5 and the 720 having slower DDR3 but more RAM what advantages will each will have?

Seems like the different approaches should have pros and cons far beyond more RAM = better.

The Wii U has significantly more RAM then ps3/360 but its slower and it seems to be causing problems doing simple current gen ports.

Seems like the kind of thing that will have side effects when porting from one system to the other.

thuway

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/17/showtime-ps4-rumoured-at-1-84tf-xbox-720-at-1-23tf/

Interesting if true. Their rumors match the ones we know currently.

Nowgamer also posted the exact opposite - http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1769813/nextgen_xbox_720_will_be_more_powerful_than_ps4_report.html

Can someone correct the VG247 part in the title, thanks!

The nowgamer article is total shit, it is using a livejournal as a source. VG247 mentions they've talked to developers at CES, they also were spot on about several things I've heard. This is the first I'm hearing about 100 GB discs.

VG247 had pictures of Vita before any one else, so I'm more inclined to believe them.

Guess I'll post this here as well. Take the Durango specs with a grain of salt. The original source states:

"Xbox next... Is like -three computers in one console...The console has 8gig of ram. But 6 gig is ddr4 system ram.. The other 3gig is gddr5. This is not including cach or edram. The system soc is a 8850 spec gpu with 4 core cpu."

This is wrong. Numbers don't add up and there is no way they are using ddr4 and gddr5. When this is wrong, everything else should be taken as "rumor" and not fact.

omonimo

Banned
So if the rumors of the ps4 have fast DDR5 and the 720 having slower DDR3 but more RAM what advantages will each will have?

Seems like the different approaches should have pros and cons far beyond more RAM = better.

The Wii U has more RAM then ps3/360 but it was slower and it seems to be causing problems doing simple current gen ports.

Faster RAM is always better.

Quentyn

VG247 is under the impression that several media outlets are in possession of documents related to Durango from CES and are currently working on major leak stories

Major leaks incoming

The nowgamer article is total shit, it is using a livejournal as a source. VG247 mentions they've talked to developers at CES, they also were spot on about several things I've heard. This is the first I'm hearing about 100 GB discs.

Why? BDXL was the natural way to go. It can read BD discs but enjoys the ability to read those 100gb discs.

Reiko

Banned
Guess I'll post this here as well. Take the Durango specs with a grain of salt. The original source states:

"Xbox next... Is like -three computers in one console...The console has 8gig of ram. But 6 gig is ddr4 system ram.. The other 3gig is gddr5. This is not including cach or edram. The system soc is a 8850 spec gpu with 4 core cpu."

This is wrong. Numbers don't add up and there is no way they are using ddr4 and gddr5. When this is wrong, everything else should be taken as "rumor" and not fact.

6+3=8?
lmao

KageMaru

Both are shit, looks like i am sticking with pc.

Even IF these specs were correct, we shouldn't be comparing raw FLOPs between PC and consoles. Depending on the cutomizations done to the GPUs, even console to console comparisons can be fuzzy.

All of these 'rumours' likely surface from blogs and forums and the 'games journalists' just spin it whichever way they see fit.

Yeah I agree, which is why I don't put much faith in them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

That could simply be a case of the 2 being next to the 3 on the keyboard.

I see nothing unbelievable OR disappointing about these rumors.

This is the first I'm hearing about 100 GB discs.

This would make the most sense for Orbis since Sony is promoting 4K like the resurrection of Christ. That'll make the system BDXL compatible, which most of the current PC blu-ray drives are capable of reading. Since they are aiming for 10 year cycle, this would be futureproofing it when movies get rereleased for 4K.

McHuj

This thing is about to blow up. Can't wait for the supposed articles based on these "documents"

DBT85

There is an entire thread dedicated to exactly that question. The answer is "it depends".

The rest of these bits are almost all what we have heard before. So I have no idea if they are confirmation or regurgitation.

Top Bottom