• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex E3 behind closed doors (20 minutes of gameplay) leaked

feel

DAMN! :O

someone with a fast connection, somehow save it fast to your harddrive in case this gets shutdown!!!!!!

Zilch

Banned
I'm very happy with this for the most part. The art direction is incredible.

The double takedown seems too much like a "press A to win" kind of situation though. Where's the skill in it?

Zilch said:
I'm very happy with this for the most part. The art direction is incredible.

The double takedown seems too much like a "press A to win" kind of situation though. Where's the skill in it?

Maybe silent takedowns get upgraded as you invest in Martial Arts/Low-Tech skill? Anyway, the gameplay was incredible, I liked everything, including some small things (2:40 in second clip the guard walks backwards while checking the perimether, nice).

Gribbix

Zilch said:
What do you guys think about the third-person parts?
I thought it was fine in regards to taking cover and general combat/stealth. My main issue with 3rd person was that some of the takedowns were a bit drawn out (i.e. the double lethal takedown and the slow-mo during the mini-mine launching aug). There was also a slight pause right before executing each takedown, but I'm not really concerned about that since this is pre-alpha footage.

Zilch said:
Yeah, that could be an issue, but I recall reading a recent interview that said the takedowns use up energy so you can't keep spamming them unless you have the energy or you don't care about using your augs.

Zilch

Banned
Ah, ok.

Also much of this demo was probably set up/scripted for the sake of showing it off quickly to dozens of journos.

The double takedown might be too strong in some situations, but the single one is the same as the stun prod, and how often are you really going to make use of the ring of death aug? Honestly, I don't even think guards are going to be paired enough for the double takedown to be an issue. Plus, it's an upgrade, right? And it's only something you can use when you get the jump on someone.

Zilch said:
What do you guys think about the third-person parts?

I could do without it. I like first-person games to remain first-person at all times. The "remote viewing" 3rd person stuff bothers me and can take me out of the moment, I like Killzone 2's system. And I miss first-person stealth... there's something to be said for not having a magical ability to see around objects you shouldn't be able to see around, it's intense and it could be done well with modern lighting techniques and all that. Not something that's going to ruin the experience though.

Looked amazing

As far as the 3rd person stuff. Most of the time I don't care for it, but I dunno, thought it felt okay in this situation (as opposed to something like Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway) . Like being able to see your character as much as possible.

Bukana

OMG ,,

It's awesome to hear TM2-LA Soundtrack at the beginning ..
The game is just what I expect it to be :).

dominuece

That look very good! I'm really excited to play this game. As far as the third person view goes, it does throw you out of the experience because of how it looks in transition. The takedowns would be very cool if they used up some type of "transhumanist meter," but there seems to be plenty of gunplay and stealth to balance it perfectly.

evangd007

As a huge fan of the original Deus Ex, this footage excites me. Not hugely concerned about the melee take-downs (the baton and the shock prod were woefully unreliable at one-hit knock outs) or the third person cover (compensates for lack of leaning I suppose). Shame on Eidos for holding out on us.

Zilch

Banned
Honestly, they should have just released this whole thing as the VERY FIRST media of the game.

Shut up the haters in an instant. Where's Confidence Man and the other usual trolls?

Phionoxx

looks great to me, nice to see some in game footage! Good to see the early reaction of the NPC to Adam pointing his pistol at him, and glad to see you can still holster your weapons too.

I have a couple questions though:
1) Does anyone know if Adam is able to have more than one aug active at once? It was tough to tell during some parts of the video, there were a couple portions were perhaps vision enhancement and microfiber strength were both on at the same time.

2) Inventory management - looked as though Adam could carry and pick up every weapon he came across, and at one point the grid system expanded to accommodate the rocket launcher, so is the limited inventory space / management done for? (ie. can carry an unlimited amount of items and weapons).

3) I'm assuming elements of the HUD were simply removed for the demo or are not anywhere close to being finalized, but it would have been nice to see how the proposed health regeneration system works by gaining a sense of just how much damage Adam took during the gunfight. Also, I couldn't see a bio-energy meter, but at the same time the demo player didn't just keep the augs on non-stop so it must be in place but just not visible. Or something else to achieve the same goal of limiting the amount of time they can be used.

AppleBlade

This is my second most hyped for game (behind Rage). Hopefully it doesn't disappoint the way Alpha Protocol did for me.

Sciz

Phionoxx said:
3) I'm assuming elements of the HUD were simply removed for the demo or are not anywhere close to being finalized, but it would have been nice to see how the proposed health regeneration system works by gaining a sense of just how much damage Adam took during the gunfight. Also, I couldn't see a bio-energy meter, but at the same time the demo player didn't just keep the augs on non-stop so it must be in place but just not visible. Or something else to achieve the same goal of limiting the amount of time they can be used.
I believe the demo was running with infinite health and energy active.

And I'm seriously digging the art direction. The city does look alive. And I can't believe I'm actually digging the yellows of the world. I wanted to see the interface for the convo bits but the head blocked the view. Anyhow, I love, love, love that there seems to be so much options to do the same missions and to go to the same places.

Zilch

Banned
Phionoxx, I believe the devs have stated that the inventory system is more or less ripped right from the first Deus Ex -- a grid with finite space.

Wallach

Zilch said:
Phionoxx, I believe the devs have stated that the inventory system is more or less ripped right from the first Deus Ex -- a grid with finite space.

Bah. I do hate playing inventory tetris sometimes.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looked alright. Although belting through a wall when you're trying to be stealthy seemed a little silly and of course the rocket launcher near giant bosses that devs love to provide.

The FPS view seemed really odd here, felt like it was somewhat disconnected. That could have just been the video.

Looking forward to it.

Top Bottom