• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Deku Tree

How do I open three apps at once on iPad Pro 10.5. ??? Every time I try it just pushes one of the apps I already have open out...

Vuze

How do I open three apps at once on iPad Pro 10.5. ??? Every time I try it just pushes one of the apps I already have open out...
Regular + fixed side by side + drag and drop floating should do it. You can’t have two floating/triple split view afaik.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really should try reverting to 10.12. High Sierra Beta 1 is the worst beta I've seen in forever. I don't know if it's because of APFS or not but some apps don't launch. Some don't work properly. Firefox apparently updated itself last night and now doesn't even play videos anymore. I can no longer type abbreviations or parts of app names to launch apps from LaunchPad like "btt" for Better Touch Tool or "doo" to launch GZDoom. It needs to be the start of a word. For some reason when I'm on the integrated Iris Pro GPU my UI crawls at sub-10FPS most times until I switch to the discreet GPU. Which I have to set from gfxCardStatus, which I need to launch because for some reason it doesn't load at startup anymore. Also Better Touch Tool won't launch at start anymore either. And last night when my computer went into a screensaver, I couldn't get it out of it and had to force shutdown. And then when it boots up it appears to crash a couple times before succeeding. At least it glitches out. I should just revert while I haven't made many changes. Jump back into Beta after a few versions. I don't even know how I would revert. I Googled for a walkthrough but Safari is giving me a fucking new message I've never seen before saying "Page was blocked by a content blocker". WTF? COME ON! How do I turn this shit off?

Unless we think Beta 2 might be out on Monday.

iOS 11 on the other hand is still fine for me. I did have a springboard crash once but other than that it's mostly fine. While I suspect my battery is dying faster now, it's still lasting long enough to get me home by 50% so it's not that much of a big deal.

I really should try reverting to 10.12. High Sierra Beta 1 is the worst beta I've seen in forever. I don't know if it's because of APFS or not but some apps don't launch. Some don't work properly. Firefox apparently updated itself last night and now doesn't even play videos anymore. I can no longer type abbreviations or parts of app names to launch apps from LaunchPad like "btt" for Better Touch Tool or "doo" to launch GZDoom. It needs to be the start of a word. For some reason when I'm on the integrated Iris Pro GPU my UI crawls at sub-10FPS most times until I switch to the discreet GPU. Which I have to set from gfxCardStatus, which I need to launch because for some reason it doesn't load at startup anymore. Also Better Touch Tool won't launch at start anymore either. And last night when my computer went into a screensaver, I couldn't get it out of it and had to force shutdown. And then when it boots up it appears to crash a couple times before succeeding. At least it glitches out. I should just revert while I haven't made many changes. Jump back into Beta after a few versions. I don't even know how I would revert. I Googled for a walkthrough but Safari is giving me a fucking new message I've never seen before saying "Page was blocked by a content blocker". WTF? COME ON! How do I turn this shit off?

You’re surprised public beta 1 is buggy?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You're surprised public beta 1 is buggy?

I use my 12 inch pro for media consumption, web browsing and sketching. It's non essential. I use it daily though. No work stuff. Just pleasure. Should I try the beta? I've spent 10 years bitching about the lack of file system. Not worried about buggy, but would be miffed at bricking or long freezes.

CraigMcD

I use my 12 inch pro for media consumption, web browsing and sketching. It's non essential. I use it daily though. No work stuff. Just pleasure. Should I try the beta? I've spent 10 years bitching about the lack of file system. Not worried about buggy, but would be miffed at bricking or long freezes.
It’s fine on my 10.5 inch Pro. Not so fine on my iPhone 7 Plus though. Safari crashes all the time.

watchOS 4 is completely unusable in its current state. It’s completely killed the battery life. That really needs an update soon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why don’t the little GAF balls at the left top/bottom of web pages work when you hold them down on mobile Gaf? Used to do that a lot to open the main forum in a new tab when I wante to leave the current thread open to read later

Also slight niggle with safari. if I click a link in mail, it’s opening safari in slide over rather tha launching full safari. Likewise if I press the 'back' button in the top left to backtrack to safari from another app, it tends to open inslide over. Also the magnifying glass for moving a text cursor doesn’t show the cursor position

This is all on an iPad Pro 10.5

For what you describe, I think public beta 1 should be stable enough, I’m not sure how it runs on the 12” Pro (first version I assume you’re using?). I find it remarkably stable on the 10.5 and felt it was worth jumping in the beta because iOS 11 changes are quite dramatic on the iPad

LeleSocho

Banned
I like to live on the edge and i got on High Sierra public beta 1 with my 6 years old mbp without any backup.
My files seems ok and aside a random crash of a page in Safari and the computer in constant heat everything seems working.
Finger crossed.

Edit: Apparently there's a folder called "vm" in my Macintosh HD that was created with the installation, it weights a GB... what do you think? can i delete it?

Vuze

Anyone know how to access your AppStore wishlist in the new store? Can’t figure it out 😳
Can’t wait until the new AppStore launches btw. I love the new Today tab.

ASTROID2

iMessages are not syncing up for me on High Sierra. After iMessaging people on my phone they don't show up on my computer. Sms texting seems to work ok though. It won't let me set up unlock with Apple Watch in High Sierra either.

Edit: So after like an hour my iMessages finally synced up. Time stamps are all messed up but whatever.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Why don’t the little GAF balls at the left top/bottom of web pages work when you hold them down on mobile Gaf? Used to do that a lot to open the main forum in a new tab when I wante to leave the current thread open to read later

The scripting is buggy in Safari overall, try reloading or force closing/re-opening Safari and see if that helps.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I’m reverting to Sierra. It’s taking some time and I have to jump through a lot of hoops but I think it’s working. I hope.

I had to redownload Sierra installer but of course I can’t just install from High Sierra so I copied the installer to my most recent clone. Which unfortunately is on a hard drive. Which is slooooooow as hell. It took forever to boot then forever to load the desktop then forever to load the installer and now forever to put the installation files back onto the internal SSD. I’ve already formatted the SSD so there’s no turning back now. It says 7 minutes remaining but it’s been like 20 minutes and took like 10 to even fill in a small percentage of the progress bar. So I hope it’s still working. Oh good. Now it filled in a second part of the bar. Should be done in a few hours at this rate.

I really need to buy an external SSD to use for bootable clones. Hard Drives need to die in a fire already.

The files app won’t be fully functional until the actual release, if that’s what you’re thinking of updating for

Deku Tree

Files App seems like a basic Documents App (by Readdle) clone. Not sure what will be the advantage of using the Apple version.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
For what you describe, I think public beta 1 should be stable enough, I’m not sure how it runs on the 12” Pro (first version I assume you’re using?). I find it remarkably stable on the 10.5 and felt it was worth jumping in the beta because iOS 11 changes are quite dramatic on the iPad

Yep first version. I'll give it a whirl. Thx!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really could do with an art academy app on iPad Pro. Most learn to draw apps are trash PowerPoint slides or just collections of videos

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well I was unable to reinstall Sierra via the installer because of an issue my MacBook has had for years where it doesn’t reboot from time to time. In normal updates it’ll get stuck at “8 minutes remaining” and if I force shit down and restart it just picks up. But this time it didn’t pick up the installation when I went to “help” it reboot. It forgot it was going to install and just booted back up from the clone again.

So this time I’m just doing what I should have done. Cloning back onto the internal SSD. It’s taking forever. I should have just done that and saved an hour. Hopefully it’ll be done by the time I get home at 1030. When I left it was up to 40GB (Out of 350) and had taken an hour so far.

I’m definitely not jumping back in until beta 3. And when I do I’m definitely leaving APFS off until I’m sure all apps are updated to be aware because I suspect most of my issues were related to it.

So the restart of my iPad Pro did nothing, it still get hot. So hot to the point that the battery drains even in test mode. I left it for a few hours today came back and it's completely dead. I'm reverting back to 10. This is the buggiest beta I've seen from them.

So the restart of my iPad Pro did nothing, it still get hot. So hot to the point that the battery drains even in test mode. I left it for a few hours today came back and it's completely dead. I'm reverting back to 10. This is the buggiest beta I've seen from them.

Man! Definitely a bug. Haven’t noticed any weird heat or battery issues so far. Only one crash so far and that’s it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How's ios11 on an iPad with a Smart Keyboard? Any new keyboard shortcuts or refinements for it?

Well on the positive side at least the symbols are in the same place. Virtual keyboard on iOS is giving me a headache with everything having moved around. Why couldn’t they have symbols assigned to the same positions they previously were in?

Aiii

So not worth it
I love dragging text to the top bar of Safari to search for it on the web. Such a nice QoL update.

I put the iOS 11 beta on my iPad Pro. I decided to start messing around with the Mail.app again since it seems that Gmail notifications arrive instantly again for the first time since Google disabled push for the Mail.app. I noticed something weird though. There is no option to actually delete an email from inside the app with my Gmail account. When I go into the options for the app and try and change the swipe behavior, there is no option to change and right or left swipe to trash and there is no trash/delete button inside the app anywhere. Anyone encounter a similar issue or know of a fix?

DOWN

Banned
When is the next beta update so I can murder my iPhone 7 Plus user experience by putting on the beta finally?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't like the iOS 11 beta on my iPad mini 4 at all.

The new dock and multitasking screen, while it looks good, it's nigh freaking unusable at times.
Whenever I watch video content I used to be able to consistently adjust my brightness, night mode and the lock oriëntation. But now when I pull up the new multitasking screen (of which the gesture is unreliable as fuck) it sometimes just closes my video app altogether, the oriëntation switching fucks up, or whenever i'm in landscape mode the dumb dock blocks the night mode button altogether.
I can't activate it without opening up the janky multitask window again, switching off orientation lock, hope it works, switch on night mode in portrait and reorient the screen back to landscape and lock it again.

What a colossal clusterfuck it has been so far. My iPad used to have zero issues keeping my video player in memory for weeks on end while I used it for other stuff. It always just instantly got me back into the last video I was watching. But right now it's just refreshing every single time I activate my iPad, regardless of whether I had the app open or not.

kiguel182

I think the quick settings being on the control panel is a bit cumbersome. Something that took me one swipe before now it's either two swipes or a long swipe and it minimizes the video.

I'm also on the iPad Mini 4 and Safari and video playback is definitely buggy.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think the quick settings being on the control panel is a bit cumbersome. Something that took me one swipe before now it's either two swipes or a long swipe and it minimizes the video.

I'm also on the iPad Mini 4 and Safari and video playback is definitely buggy.

Yup, the old smaller control panel was miles better than this current system that takes over the entire screen for trivial adjustments like this. Just let me customize what features I want displayed and i'm satisfied.

hEist

Just a stupid question: But where the eff is airdrop? Did I miss that they dropped it?
Somehow I can't find it on my iPhone7

This second beta started out at far more stable than the first one, and that’s still mostly true, but I feel like it’s been degrading day by day. Bring on beta 3!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is the Connection Widget working different on Non-3D Touch devices?
Also, can I make it appear as a horizontal line of icons? I really dont like the cube.

GeoGonzo

Its a shame to miss out on the AR stuff since it seems to require a 6S instead of a 6. I get why that is the cutoff point (the 6S improved camera and processing power are critical for AR) but still: Blah😕

Is the Connection Widget working different on Non-3D Touch devices?
Its the same. It simply requires a longer press.

kiguel182

Them allowing long presses for non force touch devices is one of the better changes. It should've been here iOS 10 but I guess they were trying to push that tech. Makes notifications less of a pain.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thanks
Them allowing long presses for non force touch devices is one of the better changes. It should've been here iOS 10 but I guess they were trying to push that tech. Makes notifications less of a pain.
Do you mean that this also works for my iPhone 6 now? Good news. Even while it still looks to me like they fucked up the Notifications.

kiguel182

Thanks

Do you mean that this also works for my iPhone 6 now? Good news. Even while it still looks to me like they fucked up the Notifications.

It works on my iPad so I'm hoping it works on non force touch phones.

They aren't great but I think for non force touch it's better than having to swipe and clear/view. They didn't need to change anything to do that before but it's a net positive overall I think.

Top Bottom