• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

Archpath1

Eh doesn't make sense but ohwell

The game is fun, hopefully the word of mouth turns people over

The combat is nice once you get the hang out it, plus 2v2 is some of the most fun I've had

I went to log into Uplay last week (think it was the 3rd Dec) and I couldn't log into the online part and so I opened a support ticket and I have only just today received a reply. that's 11 days that I could have potentially not had access to my games. After I couldn't log in I haven't tried again so it may have been resolved prior to the 11 days but the fact that I didn't work when I wanted has put me right off.

I don't get much time for gaming and so when I sit down to play I just want it to work. I don't want to update the store, I don't want to log in to a server, I just want to pick up where I left off and play.

Staf

Not sure i'm getting this. Only interested in the singleplayer portion of the game, I'm fine with it being online though.

sjay1994

While I don't think the reasoning for making the campaign online are good, I don't really feel bothered by this. The campaign might be what, 5-6 hours tops? Its probably a play once affair, and I don't think "server issues" are really going to intervene in it.

I feel most people who show interest in this game are interested in the MP of it, and the campaign was just made to prevent the stigma of "mp focused games are not worth full price" which plagued Rainbow Six. I hope that stigma fucking dies one day, because I find there is more value in a well crafted MP game like Seige or Overwatch than a full priced 10-12 hour SP game.

But considering how many people bitched about overwatch winning GOTY from the game awards, this stigma will probably never die.

Some people are really putting in som effort to defend anti consumer crap like this.

https://sabres-guide-to-gaming.tumblr.com/post/154460078662/for-honor-rant

This is my issue with it. There's no reasonable justification imo other than to admit it is anti consumer tacticts.

If it is because of drm then it's just another reminder of how much I hate this drm riddled digital world we live in and how much we don't actually "own" so much of what we buy digitally. If I pay for a movie or music for example, I want to be able to play it on any of my devices etc. But everything now is locked within ecosystems that I don't want to be restricted to. This alone is a huge advantage illegal downloading has over legit services unless im missing something and there is an avenue to get drm free movies etc.

If the devs promise offline patches once the servers go down, I support DRM to 100%. Otherwise it feels like you rent the game...

-Ryn

Banned
While I don't think the reasoning for making the campaign online are good, I don't really feel bothered by this. The campaign might be what, 5-6 hours tops? Its probably a play once affair, and I don't think "server issues" are really going to intervene in it.

I feel most people who show interest in this game are interested in the MP of it, and the campaign was just made to prevent the stigma of "mp focused games are not worth full price" which plagued Rainbow Six. I hope that stigma fucking dies one day, because I find there is more value in a well crafted MP game like Seige or Overwatch than a full priced 10-12 hour SP game.

But considering how many people bitched about overwatch winning GOTY from the game awards, this stigma will probably never die.
One will be playable forever. The other will inevitably be a useless chunk of data at some point. Unless you bought it physical in which case you've got a neat pizza cutter.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I noticed that some of you are worried about Ghost Recon Wildlands being always online too. Their community manager told us yesterday that nothing has changed, and that Wildlands will be playable offline.

I noticed that some of you are worried about Ghost Recon Wildlands being always online too. Their community manager told us yesterday that nothing has changed, and that Wildlands will be playable offline.

This is off topic, but do you get 3 ai companions when you play Wildlands offline?

atr0cious

We were reassured many times about the offline aspect in for honor and wildlands is still in that same time frame. I wouldn't take anything for granted, especially since that game kind of lends itself to always online. Bet they're gonna monitor for honor sales before making a final decision.

farisr

Not gonna hold my breath. They still have time to fuck it up.

Lanrutcon

That's good. Doesn't rule out last minute fuckery, but for now I'm happy.

Unfortunately this means nothing. A game can change at anytime up 'til its release, another manager can easily say Wildlands will require an internet connection next month or the month after.

Leyasu

Banned
So apparently
powerupgaming.co.uk I don't know if they are a ban site or not
this "always online" title is running on P2P! lol

Well done UBI. This just went from day one to never.

prudislav

So apparently
powerupgaming.co.uk I don't know if they are a ban site or not
this "always online" title is running on P2P! lol

Well done UBI. This just went from day one to never.

yep i read the MP is P2P and not dedic ... also the experience from akphas pretty much confirms it

Chinbo37

I would have a lot more respect for these companies if they just came out and said - "always online is an anti piracy measure while giving us the chance to mine your data and understand your gaming habits so we can sell you more stuff in the future".

I still wouldn't buy the game but I would respect them.

Top Bottom