• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - | 01-22-2013 |

TxdoHawk

Dear Brad: I know I am weeks late on this, but while the iOS market is still fresh and you aren't sick to death of runners, play Punch Quest. That is all.

Rlan

1270608317-00.jpg
1160434364-00.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwC6K0b5LA0

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPHI3U3XQ-g

Haunted

Never heard of/used yelp, I wonder why anyone would even use this if it's this useless?

They didn't make a good case for why each of them was so knowledgeable about the site and seemed to regularly use yelp in the first place.

FStop7

Banned
Never heard of/used yelp, I wonder why anyone would even use this if it's this useless?

They didn't make a good case for why each of them was so knowledgeable about the site and seemed to regularly use yelp in the first place.

Yelp isn't useless, the well written reviews stand out.

jediyoshi

Yelp's pretty big in the states, pretty much the standard for that sort of stuff. Not many big name alternatives, only thing I can think of that comes close is maybe reviews on google maps.

Phatmac

This'll probably be the last time that Patrick talks about VLR with the rest of the staff on the bombcast. I really wanted to hear their reactions to if. Oh well.

Its hard to take opinions on the current state of jrpgs as seriously when the last games theyve really gone through are FFX and FFXIII. But hey at least Brad is giving Ni No Kuni and P4 a shot as is Patrick with Fire Emblem.

I think Yelp is very useful. Maybe it depends on the area. I mostly agree with Yelp reviews of restaurants in Houston area. However, food review is the most subjective thing next to music so don't be surprise if the reviews don't match your taste.

SmokyDave

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight. Wrapping myself in a bombcast and playing some Red Dead. I fucking love Wednesdays.

I'm only 22 minutes in and Jeff is already on fire, it's great.

By the way, you guys in your big fancy American cities with your thousands of yelp reviews per restaurant: Count your blessings. Here where I live, there is usually fuck all in the way of information about restaurants and other places. You'll do a google search and all you get back is a phone number and an outdated maps location. It sucks!

R1CHO

To be honest, listening these guys complaining about jrpgs because they are time consuming is at the very least discouraging.

But yeah, thats the way they are, they complain when a lot of games are coming on the "hot weeks" of the year because omg we don't have time to play all that; and they also complain on the "low weeks" of the year because omg there is nothing to play! Whatever.

AColdDay

To be honest, listening these guys complaining about jrpgs because they are time consuming is at the very least discouraging.

But yeah, thats the way they are, they complain when a lot of games are coming on the "hot weeks" of the year because omg we don't have time to play all that; and they also complain on the "low weeks" of the year because omg there is nothing to play! Whatever.
I don't think it is the volume of time that gets to them. Personally, jrpgs feel like they have a lot of filler to pad out their length. Also when the paper thin story drags out over 80 hours, and it doesn't matter how much you like the characters or battle system, it is going to turn off a big segment of the potential audience.

Persona seems to be learning some of these design lessons. Persona 4 for the vita cut out a lot of the poor design choices from the fusing system that artificially lengthened the game.

Wunder

I'm only 22 minutes in and Jeff is already on fire, it's great.

By the way, you guys in your big fancy American cities with your thousands of yelp reviews per restaurant: Count your blessings. Here where I live, there is usually fuck all in the way of information about restaurants and other places. You'll do a google search and all you get back is a phone number and an outdated maps location. It sucks!

Well, where I live, you're lucky if you even get a phone number! You'd spend like 4 hours driving to the place just to find out it closed down 6 months ago.

panda21

the yelp talk was hilarious, I can't believe that reviewer card thing exists. I looked up some of my favourite restaurants and the reviews don't seem to be so bad here. I'm really tempted to sign up just to see what my facebook friends have been writing though

Obamacare...
I was on the tram during this part and actually burst out laughing for a few seconds. Essence panels.

Also, from Jeff's Tumblr:
Very haunting email from an iOS dev:

“If you have no time to write the review, we’ll be happy to prepare a post for you, focusing on introduction and instruction. If you only accept Sponsored Review, please let us know your pricing rate. We are open for any possible promotional opportunities.”
http://jeffgerstmann.tumblr.com/post/41262545613/very-haunting-email-from-an-ios-dev-if-you-have

Christ..

pelican

I've yet to listen to the podcast, but YELP can be handy. It covers the main UK cities here, and I have used it a couple of times.

I busted out laughing in the backroom at work hearing Vinny's take on Master Chief going crazy and the whole thing happening in his head.

Curufinwe

Persona seems to be learning some of these design lessons. Persona 4 for the vita cut out a lot of the poor design choices from the fusing system that artificially lengthened the game.

Being able to pick which skills to inherit is a godsend, especially for Margaret's S.Link. And if you play P4G on Easy you can really race thru all the dungeons.

On Normal I have my doubts if Brad, Ryan or Patrick will ever finish it since the added content makes it a true 100 hour game.

Scrabble

Surprised they at least didn't mention the whole dead island riptide debacle. Maybe the backlash at Patrick was too much for them to bring it up?

Fuuuck the RPG talk has me reminiscing so hard haha.
I remember buying Tobal 2 at StarLand and not knowing wtf was going on because it was in Japanese. But it was so damn awesome.

Zaph

What backlash?

What did Patrick do now?
He dared to write an article criticising it. Over-defensive idiots jumped on him because apparently it's "not a big deal" even though it obnoxiously flies in the face of the change the industry is currently trying to achieve.

Edit: But I'm not saying that's why it wasn't in the bombcast. They probably just forgot.

Top Bottom