• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Hype/News/Info Thread (PC Dedicated Servers)

Brian Fellows said:
It'll probably be 20 MP maps with the option to play each one in Survival with no new actual Spec Ops missions.

I'd be fine with that just as ong as they don't try and recycle a bunch of MW1/2 maps like they did last time. It should be 4 old returning maps at most.

Treyarch also showed them how it should be done when bringing back old maps with there Cliffside to Hazard remake.

Having high regards for the Quake arena and Unreal Tournament series as the gold standard for multiplayer FPS, I can't comprehend how high the weapon damage is in this franchise. And in the latest installment, it's even higher !! This combined with health regen and killstreaks -are you surprised that camping is a problem in this game?

Rich!

Not interested in MW3 myself, but thought UK Gaf should know about this.

The hardened edition (free COD Elite for a year, XP boost, 100 page art book) is currently £89.99 at game and gamestation, and £79.99 at Amazon.co.uk.

Blockbuster are doing it as an in-store preorder for £64.99. It's only £20 more than the standard edition, and you get all the map packs free with the COD Elite membership. Definitely worth going to pre-order it while it's that price, as it's the cheapest in the UK right now.

Untracked

After coming off MW2 and watching that Tango Down trailer I'm noticing they've improved sound quality slightly. It seems crisper and sounds awesome.
Glad it doesn't sound like BLOPS. Yes, I'm a soundwhore.

Looking forward to trying it in 5.1.

Mush

Danny 117 said:
There never have been MP achievements in the newer CoD games IIRC, except for prestige in world at war for 0G.
I know, but you'd think they'd try and cash in on them since you know, that's half the reason people play the series.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Strider2K99 said:
Juggernaut Recon gameplay

http://youtu.be/YTWMWLm2M4o

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is the one under Support Strike called Juggernaut Recon, hence the Riot Shield. Not quite sure what the Juggernaut under Assault Strike is like.
I'm guessing the "Assault" Juggernaut can use weapons. This one seems to just have a riot shield, so it's more for defense, in line with the other "Support" streaks. If that's the case, I'm surprised it's such a high streak.

Xux

Strider2K99 said:
Juggernaut Recon gameplay

http://youtu.be/YTWMWLm2M4o

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is the one under Support Strike called Juggernaut Recon, hence the Riot Shield. Not quite sure what the Juggernaut under Assault Strike is like.

It gets an M60 instead.

Alienshogun said:
Jesus christ, between this and "unlock all the perks," how could anyone think these are good ideas?

Doesn't seem that good. Especially with a riot shield. Having all of the perks at once doesn't seem that good, either.

DRE Fei

Alienshogun said:
Jesus christ, between this and "unlock all the perks," how could anyone think these are good ideas?
The simple fact that you can protect yourself from every other killstreak in the game by using the assassin+blind eye combination really weakens the air support a lot. The way things are looking now, the juggernaut killstreak will probably be the only serious threat in this game, but maybe things can change later.

Xux

Razor 81 said:
Are you serious? Any quote you can link me?
http://www.gamespot.com/events/codxp2011/video.html?sid=6332688&tag=videos;title;15&pid=995751
jWDLc.png

cK7VI.png

DRE Fei said:
The simple fact that you can protect yourself from every other killstreak in the game by using the assassin+blind eye combination really weakens the air support a lot.

I agree with you, but even the inclusion of Cold-Blooded and Stingers in MW2 didn't stop people from bitching about "OP'd" killstreaks. Nevermind that you could take out most of them yourself before they even got a kill. People love to complain but refuse to take the initiative and switch to the anti-air weapons provided in the game.

It's easier to bitch and moan.

zeelman

Jack Scofield said:
I agree with you, but even the inclusion of Cold-Blooded and Stingers in MW2 didn't stop people from bitching about "OP'd" killstreaks. Nevermind that you could take out most of them yourself before they even got a kill. People love to complain but refuse to take the initiative and switch to the anti-air weapons provided in the game.

I think the people who were bitching about the high end killstreaks were complaining about how the good players knew where everyone was, so Cold-Blooded was basically useless. I can't shoot down something when I die the exact second I spawn in.

Khal_B

Jack Scofield said:
Nevermind that you could take out most of them yourself before they even got a kill. People love to complain but refuse to take the initiative and switch to the anti-air weapons provided in the game.

This is true. Though I must admit there were instances where my two stinger missiles failed to kill a simple harrier. Now that shit was infuriating.

Loxley

Huh, Bowling said they want the focus of the gameplay to be all about gun-vs-gun again like in CoD4 and not the absurd killstreak-obsessed cesspool that MW2 became, so they decided the best way to go about doing that would be to add more killstreaks and make them even more extravagant and plentiful than ever before?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a line of supportive killstreaks (a lot, actually) but I just....Infinity Ward has a horrible history of addressing community balance concerns compared to their contemporaries, so I could only imagine that keeping all of these damn killstreaks and perks in line would present a logistical nightmare in terms of balance, especially at launch, and very especially without a beta.

Those of you willing to brave the storm the day MW3 launches, my thoughts and prayers are with you :p

DRE Fei said:
The simple fact that you can protect yourself from every other killstreak in the game by using the assassin+blind eye combination really weakens the air support a lot. The way things are looking now, the juggernaut killstreak will probably be the only serious threat in this game, but maybe things can change later.

Not quite. What about Recon Pro and Marksman? You can just mark an enemy with those perks, right?

RedSwirl

Has there been any indication that Modern Warfare 3 will have the Combat Training mode from Black Ops?

I know IW doesn't like to retain anything that Treyarch comes up with, but you have to admit that bots and splitscreen online were worthwhile additions to the COD franchise that probably needed to be in every game.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
RedSwirl said:
Has there been any indication that Modern Warfare 3 will have the Combat Training mode from Black Ops?

I know IW doesn't like to retain anything that Treyarch comes up with, but you have to admit that bots and splitscreen online were worthwhile additions to the COD franchise that probably needed to be in every game.

I think its safe to assume that there will be no combat training.

Jack Scofield said:

People bitch because it's true. And most of the people bitching and moaning are probably people who try to do exactly what you're describing. They are the lone people on their teams who actually have a class dedicated to shooting down the air shit. But when no one else on your team does, most of the time you're fucked. Unless the people controlling the AC130/CG and their teammates suck, you're usually dead before you can shoot it down. And then on many maps you're just stuck in the cycle of spawn, die, spawn, die. Which, of course, builds up better air shit for the opposing team, resulting in stronger air shit and then you're just fucked all over again as your teammates continually run out with their akimbo pistols out and ready, completely oblivious to the fact that they're getting destroyed.

It was a big enough deal that Black Ops took out stacking streaks, made both the CG and Gunship have a ridiculous amount of time that you can use to take it out before it even fires off a bullet, and designed the maps better so that you aren't stuck in air shit spawn rape hell. It still happens on a couple of maps but the design of those maps kind of makes it impossible to avoid it.

But yeah, the MW2 air barrage was overpowered and was horse shit and I am glad they are changing it.

Hey You

RedSwirl said:

Nope, I was just reading 402's twitter and he said Combat training is not in and Spec Ops serves its purpose.

kuYuri

RedSwirl said:

No combat training, I guess the devs figure that Spec Ops Survival is your best bet in memorizing the MP maps.

Honestly, the Black Ops bots are either pretty dumb and super robotic in movement (on normal) or they act like wallhackers (on Hardened/Veteran).

It's a novel idea, but then you see the cracks once you play it enough. I'm glad that it was in the game though.

Xux

TestOfTide said:
Not quite. What about Recon Pro and Marksman? You can just mark an enemy with those perks, right?

Marksman just shows the enemy's name above their head from farther away than it usually does.

RedSwirl said:

Splitscreen online's in.

amar212

Bumblebeetuna said:
People bitch because it's true. And most of the people bitching and moaning are probably people who try to do exactly what you're describing. They are the lone people on their teams who actually have a class dedicated to shooting down the air shit. But when no one else on your team does, most of the time you're fucked. Unless the people controlling the AC130/CG and their teammates suck, you're usually dead before you can shoot it down. And then on many maps you're just stuck in the cycle of spawn, die, spawn, die. Which, of course, builds up better air shit for the opposing team, resulting in stronger air shit and then you're just fucked all over again as your teammates continually run out with their akimbo pistols out and ready, completely oblivious to the fact that they're getting destroyed.

It was a big enough deal that Black Ops took out stacking streaks, made both the CG and Gunship have a ridiculous amount of time that you can use to take it out before it even fires off a bullet, and designed the maps better so that you aren't stuck in air shit spawn rape hell. It still happens on a couple of maps but the design of those maps kind of makes it impossible to avoid it.

But yeah, the MW2 air barrage was overpowered and was horse shit and I am glad they are changing it.

I agree with everything you have said.

kuYuri

Has anyone been able to confirm if Scavenger (at least non-pro version for now) refills Grenade Launcher ammo?

I know explosives have been nerfed, but I'm just curious.

zeelman

Strider2K99 said:
It's a novel idea, but then you see the cracks once you play it enough. I'm glad that it was in the game though.

Combat Training really helped me learn the spawns in FFA. It makes FFA against real players mmuch less frustrating.

ajb1888

Banned
Xux said:
Marksman just shows the enemy's name above their head from farther away than it usually does.

Splitscreen online's in.

Splitscreen's back? YES! I was hoping so. Day one a real possibility.

Xux

Strider2K99 said:
Has anyone been able to confirm if Scavenger (at least non-pro version for now) refills Grenade Launcher ammo?

I know explosives have been nerfed, but I'm just curious.

It isn't replenished at the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFfpYYZpsco

He didn't reload it or have it out when he picked up the baggie, though, so I guess it's not confirmed completely.

Top Bottom