• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEwDsssA94&fmt=22

This is really unprecedented in the history of video games. How many times has a competent emulator for Console X not only been released during Console X's lifetime, but is actually an improvement over Console X? You can argue that Wii hardware isn't "current-gen" hardware, but this is still astounding.

The emulator isn't perfect, but that's the thing: it's only going to improve as time goes on.

What does this mean for the Wii and for the video game industry?

Honestly, I could care less and Wii is my primary system. Brawl looks just fine on a high-end TV and if I really want to see my games in true HD, I'll play my PS3.

That said, the videos I saw of this running on Kotaku looked pretty good. Only time will tell.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's because the Wii graphics and CPU hardware is in some ways about nine years old. Generation argument is moot.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know what this means, there's no way it's altering the native resolution, so it's just upscaling, so basically every TV connected to a Wii can do this also.

It doesn't mean much.

Also, never had a videogame been released with a poor hardware as the wii has (poor = not as high a technology as the 360 or PS3) before, so...

Threi

notag
I don't know if I would call running at less than half the framerate an "improvement".

Everyone should know the answer to this by now: Absolutely nothing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Insane Metal said:
Also, never had a videogame been released with a poor hardware as the wii has (poor = not as high a technology as the 360 or PS3) before, so...
You mean the systems before the Wii are a lie?

Looks nice. I fully expect to see backward compatibility in this vein for Nintendo's next console... or I'll be playing it like this via Wii OnLive.

Roxas

Wii Will Rock U said:
Honestly, I could care less and Wii is my primary system. Brawl looks just fine on a high-end TV and if I really want to see my games in true HD, I'll play my PS3.

That said, the videos I saw of this running on Kotaku looked pretty good. Only time will tell.

10ic3t2.png

jett

D-Member
Threi said:
I don't know if I would call running at less than half the framerate an "improvement".

That's a wiitarded complaint. Youtube only encodes videos up to 30fps. It's pretty clear the game is running with zero issues in that video.

MNC

stuburns said:
I don't know what this means, there's no way it's altering the native resolution, so it's just upscaling, so basically every TV connected to a Wii can do this also.
If I recall correctly emulators CAN increase the internal resolution of the game, since the emulator is basically the console... That actually made no sense, but i do know that for example the PS2 emulator can increase the internal res as well.

Edit: :lol At the care less

Wii Will Rock U said:
Honestly, I couldn't care less* and Wii is my primary system. Brawl looks just fine on a high-end TV and if I really want to see my games in true HD, I'll play my PS3.

Fixed that for you.

Anyway, I think this is pretty impressive. I didn't know Wii emulation was so far along. What else can Dolphin play, I wonder?

bee

jett said:
That's a wiitarded complaint. Youtube only encodes videos up to 30fps. It's pretty clear the game is running with zero issues in that video.

yup, i've seen plenty of screens of it and it does indeed run at the full 50fps, only the pal version works for now so no 60

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
jett said:
Well, aside from a few clear slowdowns it was pretty solid, that said...

"System used: + E8400 @ 4GHz + 4GB Ballistix DDR2 RAM + XFX GTX 260 216"

An overclocked Enthusiasm system able to play console games based on 9 year old tech shocker!
MNC said:
If I recall correctly emulators CAN increase the internal resolution of the game, since the emulator is basically the console... That actually made no sense, but i do know that for example the PS2 emulator can increase the internal res as well.

Edit: :lol At the care less
Indeed, just google FF XII on emulators, simply stunning.

jett

D-Member
Oh and another note for the OP: I believe a working GBA emulator was released -before- the official system launch. :p

MNC

Also, I'm amazed at how little graphical glitches/errors there are... I think there are actually none in that video O_O

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ShockingAlberto said:
Looks about the same as my CRT HDTV.

...yay?

No, it really doesn't. You can see the crisper and clearer image, especially texture detail (eg: Link's chainmail) and backgrounds from a greater distance.

What I wouldn't give for Nintendo to release a Wii that upscales its games to 720p (if that's even possible).

Parl

U K Narayan said:
Fixed that for you.

Anyway, I think this is pretty impressive. I didn't know Wii emulation was so far along. What else can Dolphin play, I wonder?
I know it may be addicting to correct people, but for all intensive purposes, "could care less" is fine.

Actually, I despise it!

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
jett said:
Oh and another note for the OP: I believe a working GBA emulator was released -before- the official system launch. :p

Yep.

And UltraHLE was released 3 months after Zelda:Oot and played the game flawlessly.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEwDsssA94&fmt=22

This is really unprecedented in the history of video games. How many times has a competent emulator for Console X not only been released during Console X's lifetime, but is actually an improvement over Console X? You can argue that Wii hardware isn't "current-gen" hardware, but this is still astounding.

The emulator isn't perfect, but that's the thing: it's only going to improve as time goes on.

That's quite the understatement there. The same happened with both the PSX and N64 btw.

Minsc

Gold Member
stuburns said:

joke post? Of course emulators can increase the native resolution, they've been doing that with the GCN, PSX, PS2 & Dreamcast.

As was already pointed out, the PS2 emulator can render the games at around 2640x1600 for a bullshot looking experience. They're perfectly playable at HD resolutions too, perhaps not 1600p but certainly greater than "native resolution."

Parl

stuburns said:
hahahah that was great.

I don't know why people always get intents and purposes wrong.
I think "addicting" and "could care less" are worse than "intensive purposes". I liken the latter to mistakes like "one and the same" and "your" instead of "you're".

I'm not grammar Nazi, so I don't particularly mind many mistakes as long as I can understand what somebody has said without too much effort in trying to guess where the punctuation is meant to be, but I certainly find a select few words and phrases annoying.

bridegur

Hopefully by the time I buy my next computer they'll have Wind Waker and SMG running smoothly. Smash Bros. looks great.

stuburns said:

Ofcourse it is, emualtors have been able to do this for over a decade. Heck, even the Dreamcast could render PSX games at twice their resolution with the commercially released Bleem software.

jett

D-Member
stuburns said:

lulz no, you need to read on up emulators, games can actually natively run on higher resolutions. Actually in the case of the N64 you can even replace textures within the games to get results like this:

2313735216_88794d4923.jpg

jett

D-Member
nincompoop said:
I guess this means the Wii is the only current gen console whose games can all be rendered in HD resolutions.

No it doesn't because technically the Wii isn't doing any of this. :p

Parl said:
I know it may be addicting to correct people, but for all intents and purposes*, "could care less" is fine.

Actually, I despise it!
Fixed that for you.

And -- no, it isn't "fine". "Could care less" means that you still care. It's grammatically ambiguous, and makes you look pretty stupid.

Whatever floats your boat, though.

Jtwo said:
Because they do it on purpose.
Actually, most people think it's actually "intensive purposes". I did a survey for this in my last English class, and 80% of the people surveyed chose "intensive purposes" as opposed to the correct choice: "intents and purposes".

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
stuburns said:
I don't know why people always get intents and purposes wrong.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
lulz no, you need to read on up emulators, games can actually natively run on higher resolutions. Actually in the case of the N64 you can even replace textures within the games to get results like this:

2313735216_88794d4923.jpg
But that's altering the game. Does it alter the native resolution without altering the game? I don't see how that works because the game itself has a native resolution, it's not like a PC game where you can alter it. Console games don't usually give you the option. If the resolution was fixed at the console level I'd understand, but it's not.

Jtwo said:
It all makes sense.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Guybrush Threepwood said:

absolutely nothing

also if you don't know , devices like Neoya X2VGA , XCM 1080p Mega-cool VGA or Denon AVR 2808 can upscale PS2 , Wii , Dreamcast , Gamecube games to 720p or 1080 better than this shitty emu .

Parl

U K Narayan said:
Fixed that for you.

And -- no, it isn't "fine". "Could care less" means that you still care. It's grammatically ambiguous, and makes you look pretty stupid.

Whatever floats your boat, though.
Come on, where's you're sense of irony? This is NeoGAF, dude.

rabhw

Totobeni said:
also if you don't know , devices like Neoya X2VGA , XCM 1080p Mega-cool VGA or Denon AVR 2808 can upscale PS2 , Wii , Dreamcast , Gamecube games to 720p or 1080 better than this shitty emu .

You....don't understand.

Mamesj

Banned
Totobeni said:
absolutely nothing

smh

ymmv

Banned
If only Nintendo had stuck three Gamecubes together with ductape instead of a louse two, then we'd all be enjoying 720p visuals.

Top Bottom