• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Cornbread78

mR9r67B.jpg

Release date: March 28, 2017
Developer: SIE San Diego Studio
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Series: MLB: The Show
Genre: Sports game
Platform: PlayStation 4
Twiter: https://twitter.com/MLBTheShow

NA Box Art:
NdF432u.jpg

Regional Covers:
Aaron Sanchez graces the Canadian cover:
2aUyoDf.jpg

Wei-Yin Chen once again graces the Taiwan cover:
JKJmTwn.jpg

Versions and Prices:
Yyhefdy.jpg

A few more clarifications on the content included in the different skus:
• Gold Season Starter Pack Contents: Includes one item for a mission starter that leads to a Gold player.
• Sponsor Pack Contents: 5 pieces of equipment to use in Road To The Show/Diamond Dynasty (RTTS/DD) and 3 Franchise sponsorships.
• Diamond Season Starter Pack Contents: Includes one item for a mission starter that leads to a Diamond player.
• Digital Deluxe Pack Contents: Includes 4 players, 1 guaranteed Live Series Gold player, and 1 guaranteed Flashback.
• Standard Pack: 8 total items, 6 Players, and 2 items (either RTTS/Diamond Dynasty Player equipment or Franchise Sponsorship).
• Stub(s): The universal currency used in MLB The Show.

PS4 Pro features (announced in stream):
Three different modes available:
1. 4k
2. High Detail (1440p)
3. High Framerate (1080p)
- HDR is also supported (OG & Pro)

More Pro details here:
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/

New/Updated Gameplay Features:

Retro Mode:
fKdVq4u.jpg

Introducing “Retro Mode,” a retro gameplay experience that pays homage to the classic baseball games many of us grew up playing. Retro Mode allows you to move the pitcher across the pitcher’s rubber and move around the batter’s box with ease, classic on-screen displays, an old school soundtrack, unique sound effects, a throwback pause menu and more.
Retro Mode is entirely separate to the popular Road To The Show, Diamond Dynasty and Franchise game modes. This new way to play MLB The Show is designed to be a fun, throwback game mode that instigates battles on the couch with friends. It also features custom audio, Ken Griffey Jr. commentary, and an 8-bit throwback pause menu, it’s just like being back in 1994. Except you never run out of quarters

Diamond Dynasty:
VVngrmx.jpg

- With expanded missions, exclusive rewards, and all new live content that responds quickly to real-life baseball events
- Test your deck building skills in all new Events, which challenge you to build a team based on specific event themes.
- Climb the leaderboard over and over again with new season-based Head to Head gameplay.
- Play quick 3-inning games on those days you’re short on time.
- Track your Diamond Dynasty journey and unlock exclusive rewards with new Programs road maps that point to the best rewards through player-themed missions.
- Race the clock, beat the stats, travel back in time, and earn rewards in multiple parts of Diamond Dynasty with new expanded Missions.

Road to the Show:
szs964V.jpg

- Take your character on an epic odyssey through the world of a professional MLB player.
- Control your career and write your own Hall of Fame story both on and off the field.
- Interact with coaches, managers, representatives and more as you make off-the-field decisions that can affect your career in unpredictable ways.

Franchise Mode:
gr30orc.jpg

- Make your moves and plan your perfect strategy as you take control of an entire MLB franchise.
Choose what tactics to employ and where. Take over Coaching, Player Development, and GM duties. Or easily have your staff auto manage them with the flick of a toggle.
- FRANCHISE LAUNCH PAD: Puts you in control of how much time you spend playing and how you run your team
- Critical Situations prompts you to take the plate in late-inning, critical situations so you have a direct effect on the standings even without playing full games. You’ll also get prompted to complete
statistically significant games like hitting for the cycle or no-hitters.
- QUICK MANAGE: puts you in complete control of all managerial decisions during a game, while finishing full games in a short amount of time. Jump back and forth
between gameplay and Quick Manage and only play in what you decide are the most important at-bats
- the updated Player Lock makes it easier than ever to pick a player on your team and play short Road to The Show™ style games in Franchise Mode

Booth Updates:
- Former MLB players and current MLB Network on-air talent Harold Reynolds and Dan Plesac join the booth in MLB The Show 17

Videos:
PSX Gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KngKVAqsE1A

Gameplay Impreovements for 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2D7SfO5Bgk

Diamond Dynasty 101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrLV6QnuPJw

Road to the Show 101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6sSnEGu2Y

Franchise Mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gldnae2avcE

Lovefest Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMNDAE0KECk

"These Guys" TV ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijQWxo8IpNA

Impressions Thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1355582&highlight=the+show

Reviews:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/mlb-the-show-17

And yeah, they finally did it; now this fella can rest in peace:
6QCQ3f5.jpg

Congrats Champs!
v6g16AY.jpg

Kiyo

Didn't get last year's but am picking up this year's because of the RTTS improvements. Have to wait until Amazon delivers tomorrow though unfortunately.

sh1fty

Looking forward to diving into Diamond Dynasty again this year. Do we know if they made any changes/improvements to Conquest Mode? I remember being intrigued by it last year but never got quite comfortable with it; thought it could be cool given a year of improvements.

The amount of hours I put into each Show game is probably in the 100s. Probably my favorite sports series, every year they knock it outta the park and Diamond Dynasty is addicting as hell.

So uh I preordered this but never really played a baseball game before, and the home teams I've followed (Padres and Twins) really stink. What team and mode should I play?

ch4fx_

The Kid was my hero growing up. I'll be jumping into The Show for the first time this year because he's on the cover,
& because retro mode looks fucking awesome.

Speaking of, is there an online retro mode? Or is it for offline/single player only?

Edit - forgot a pic of The Kid.
hi-res-98572701_crop_north.jpg

NHale

It's funny how the European PSN Store is the cheapest and fastest way to get the game considering the game is not very popular over here.

The game unlocks at 00:00GMT (7pm ET) while being much cheaper than traditional retail games at the store (around $50 USD even less if you buy PSN cards at cdkeys) because it's not sold on disk in Europe. If anyone in the US wants the cheapest digital price, have a EU account and don't mind not being able to buy stubs in the store, this is the way to go because you pay less and get to play it sooner.

The_Balm

So uh I preordered this but never really played a baseball game before, and the home teams I've followed (Padres and Twins) really stink. What team and mode should I play?

Road to the show is really fun and they made a bunch of improvements to it this year.

Lets Go Mets! Hopefully the rotation can remain healthy with some improvement/return to form although Glass Joe Matz may be headed to the shelf already before we even get started.

Ready for some Retro battles against some old school friends. Did they at least include online play for Retro mode since you can't play full seasons?

Here's to another 108 years for the Cubs.

ukas

This is the first time in three years that I wasn't able to get the steelbook MVP edition. Sold out way too fast on Amazon. :(

You should be the Royals.

I REALLY want to try Retro Mode, but not sure it's worth getting just for that. Does that mode have full-season, stat-tracking, etc.? I always buy these games, but never get into them because I'd rather watch real baseball and, honestly, I just have never been able to get very good at hitting. I also struggle with the base-running commands in modern baseball games and don't understand why they don't just go back to how it was in NES/SNES days.

CDV13

2aUyoDf.jpg

This looks painful lol.

Nice OT, Cornbread!

Lol. My dad has a picture of me pitching in high school that looks like this. You don't even realize what you look like mid/end pitch until you see one of those. Mid pitch with the arm flying forward looks horrendous as well.

I REALLY want to try Retro Mode, but not sure it's worth getting just for that. Does that mode have full-season, stat-tracking, etc.? I always buy these games, but never get into them because I'd rather watch real baseball and, honestly, I just have never been able to get very good at hitting. I also struggle with the base-running commands in modern baseball games and don't understand why they don't just go back to how it was in NES/SNES days.

No season play for Retro Mode, at least that's what I've been told.

sh1fty

If you were ever into baseball cards as a kid, check out Diamond Dynasty mode. Compared to the other "ultimate team" games like Madden or FIFA, I actually think DD is pretty fair and rewarding.

With the addition of Quick Manage to Franchise mode, you might find that fun too. You can play from a managerial perspective and then actually take control of the game in certain spots if you'd like (ie. you could jump in for just the batting and jump out for the defense/pitching).

painey

I wish I had some stability in my life because I want to buy a PS4 for this, but don't know if I have to leave the country in 4 months. I just want next gen RTTS!

Couleurs

So what are you guys planning on doing first?

I'll probably focus on Conquest/DD and not bother with franchise or RTTS until the OSFM rosters are available (since I don't want to restart when they come out)

Cornbread78

The funny thing is when making this OT and going over the "retro" mode stuff, I was having serious flashbacks of my brother and I getting into fights while playing Tecmo Baseball and endless hours of playing Baseball Stars..

Bring on Diamond Dynasty!

I look forward to facing Aroldis Chapman and bunts.

Ewww the Royals will be worse than the Twins this year.

Go Pads. The team might stink but at least you get to look at Petco a lot. Plus pitching with Weaver should be good for some laughs.

Xater

I have this pre-ordered. I wish there was more detail about the different PS4 Pro modes.

Also please add me on PSN because I'd love to actually play with people. If you are also European even better, then it's more likely our play times will line up. PSN: Xater

Also on the wish list for next year I'd already put a season mode for Retro Mode. If they can add a light version of the franchise mode as well even better.

Only about 7 hours left for it to unlock. Whooo!

So what are you guys planning on doing first?

I'll probably focus on Conquest/DD and not bother with franchise or RTTS until the OSFM rosters are available (since I don't want to restart when they come out)

Probably the same. With all those packs they giving me on launch how can I not jump into DD first?

Can't wait for this. Skipped last year (no real reason) but my preload is ready.

I really, really wish there were a barebones retro mode season option with stat tracking. Griffey on the SNES was my favorite game growing up and I wish i'd be able to fly through a season in full on nostalgia mode.

Setzer

Got confirmation from Amazon yesterday that my MVP edition was on its way. Can't wait to dive into retro mode!

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Getting at some point (UPS) today. Can't wait. Have work tonight, but at least I can get that damn long install process out of the way.

Kiyo

It's funny how the European PSN Store is the cheapest and fastest way to get the game considering the game is not very popular over here.

The game unlocks at 00:00GMT (7pm ET) while being much cheaper than traditional retail games at the store (around $50 USD even less if you buy PSN cards at cdkeys) because it's not sold on disk in Europe. If anyone in the US wants the cheapest digital price, have a EU account and don't mind not being able to buy stubs in the store, this is the way to go because you pay less and get to play it sooner.

Thanks for this. Ended up cancelling my Amazon order (thankfully not shipped yet) and grabbed 40gbp at offgamers for $44 and get to play at 4pm my time today. The stubs don't bother me since I usually just stay in RTTS anyway.

I have this pre-ordered. I wish there was more detail about the different PS4 Pro modes.

Also please add me on PSN because I'd love to actually play with people. If you are also European even better, then it's more likely our play times will line up. PSN: Xater

Also on the wish list for next year I'd already put a season mode for Retro Mode. If they can add a light version of the franchise mode as well even better.

Probably the same. With all those packs they giving me on launch how can I not jump into DD first?

A fellow German who likes playing the Show? It's a miracle ;)

Xater

A fellow German who likes playing the Show? It's a miracle ;)

I think 12 was my first one, but I have only played them all from 15 on.

I don't care that much for actually watching the sport, but the games have always been fun to me. Video game baseball also still seems like the most accessjble video game sport these days.

mcfizzle4

If they released Retro Mode as a stand alone I would pick it up in a hearbeat.

I love The Show but I just don't play enough to justify the costs.

There is quite a bit of info on the PS4 Pro modes over at the Operation Sports MLB The Show Forum (specifically in the Q + A and Impressions threads)...

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/

Edit: Actually there are a few threads dedicated to the PS4 Pro modes so you might want to check those first before the more general Q + A and Impressions topics.

RiverKwai

My first baseball game in a dozen or so years. Thanks to Griffey and the home team M's looking like maybe they'll finally field a competitive team this year...

KodaRuss

I dont really have any time to play this game with Persona 5 about to come out but damn I really want it... What to do...

KodaRuss

I would think having Ken Griffey Jr on every cover would make more sense for this?

I mean his was basically the Michael Jordan of baseball in his time, everyone loved him. Even as a Rangers fan growing up I loved him as well.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Looking to pass. Series hasn't changed enough but will watch to see how this one fares.

Just curious, what needs to change for you to buy back in? This is a real question, and I am not questioning your decision at all.

FrankWza

Lets Go Mets! Hopefully the rotation can remain healthy with some improvement/return to form although Glass Joe Matz may be headed to the shelf already before we even get started.

Ready for some Retro battles against some old school friends. Did they at least include online play for Retro mode since you can't play full seasons?

Here's to another 108 years for the Cubs.

They may need to move him at some point in the right deal but i do love having a lefty in the rotation. Hes brittle and theyre 7 deep at this point. Though i like lugo in the pen for now and wheeler still isnt ready....we'll see.

The funny thing is when making this OT and going over the "retro" mode stuff, I was having serious flashbacks of my brother and I getting into fights while playing Tecmo Baseball and endless hours of playing Baseball Stars..

R.b.i. and bases loaded were good too. This retro mode reminds me of more ps2 era triple play which i hated. MVP is and will always be the best baseball game ever.

Pre-loading the MVP Edition right now! Game looks like it got a very nice face lift this year. New commentary, new lighting, 4K and HDR!!!, new decision and narrative based RTTS, big time AI improvements when it comes to reacting to plays and the speed at which they do so...Really excited.

FrankWza

I would think having Ken Griffey Jr on every cover would make more sense for this?

I mean his was basically the Michael Jordan of baseball in his time, everyone loved him. Even as a Rangers fan growing up I loved him as well.

Theyve been this for some time now. What they really should have done was have a Mike Piazza version. Especially in N.Y. or giving you a choice on a steelbook too.

Top Bottom