• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Wii U Owners, time to stock up on coin cell batteries.

... we may need them.

wii-u-battery-replacement-3_1020.jpg

From the Wii U Manual

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/7/3614048/wii-u-launch-nintendo-network-manual

Haven't seen this in a while.

I'm going to assume we will never have to do this. Still, it's interesting they put it in the manual.

jbueno

This reminded me, didn´t the Dreamcast use CR2032 batteries as well? Might have to replace mine, I just found out the calendar resets every time I plug it back in.

freddy

Banned
Is this the same type of battery that's in a motherboard? Not familiar with the term coin cell.

Edit: Answered

I found a twenty year old wristwatch in an old toybox that was still running on one of these babies.

corn_fest

Basically everything uses a battery like this to store the current time. Including pretty much every consumer computer. Not sure why this is a big deal? They very rarely fully drain over the lifetime of the product, and at least this one is user-replaceable.

The image says internal clock.

Yeah, as long as we don't lose system settings this shouldn't be much of a problem. Still odd.

Basically everything uses a battery like this to store the current time. Including pretty much every consumer computer. Not sure why this is a big deal? They very rarely fully drain over the lifetime of the product, and at least this one is user-replaceable.

The fact that it's user replaceable caught my eye. This day and age they don't run out so why bother making it replaceable?

Het_Nkik

If it lasts as long as the Dreamcast's then whatever. If it lasts as short as the Saturn's then God help us all.

I too am curious as to what it's being used for... The build in memory is supposed to be flash... so is this just for the clock?

Which reminds me... my wii's clock never needs to be reset when it's unplugged... does the Wii use one of these too?

arit

Might as well by some for my Saturn. At least it has some way of running the clock when not on power, unlike the original Xbox.

EDIT: Does anyone know how the ps360 keep the clock running? Or are their batteries just not user swappable?

Aeana

I too am curious as to what it's being used for... The build in memory is supposed to be flash... so is this just for the clock?

Which reminds me... my wii's clock never needs to be reset when it's unplugged... does the Wii use one of these too?

Yes, the Wii uses one too for the same function. In this case, they've just made it easier to replace for end-users.

Zoe

All modern motherboards use some kind of battery to maintain the system clock. I've seen them run out on desktops before.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I heard if you don't replace the dead battery, the Wii U makes a large beeping sound until you replace it

Het_Nkik

I wonder if this is so the clock actually keeps correct time?

I don't know what it is but every Nintendo console and handheld I own either starts to gain or lost time over the months.

jbueno

Saturn used something similar for system memory as well.

At least one didn´t have to open up the system to replace the battery, as it was the case with the DC. And as this fine gentleman said the CR2032 in a Dreamcast last a long time, I don´t think I have ever needed to replace mine.

If it lasts as long as the Dreamcast's then whatever. If it lasts as short as the Saturn's then God help us all.

Indeed.

It's okay, I still have a couple dozen waiting to be used in my Saturn.

wait was this a thing with saturns?!

maybe thats why mine stopped saving?

all of a sudden, after y2k mind you, my saturn stopped saving - atleast my shining force 3, and i always have to reset up the clock the internal clock i think.

hmmmmmm

are these easy to get and replace in my saturn?

Madao

why is this news?

the Wii has the same battery and the GC has it too (and you can't change the GC's one since it is soldered in the controller ports chipset)

this just powers the internal clock.

Pretty much every computer with a persistent clock has a battery in it. Every PC Mobo does, for example. The only strange thing here is that they made it user serviceable when that is not the trend for recent consoles.

Pre order cancelled. I can put with with last gen hardware, waggle, and kiddy games, but I refuse to replace a damn clock battery

Every hardware that keeps track of time has the coin cell battery. You rarely have the need to replace it; though it's good that Nintendo has thought of a way to replace it. It's nothing "controversial". I've never replaced it for my PS3 (though to do so, you need to disassemble the entire console, so it's good to see Nintendo allows to do so).

Aeana

wait was this a thing with saturns?!

maybe thats why mine stopped saving?

all of a sudden, after y2k mind you, my saturn stopped saving - atleast my shining force 3, and i always have to reset up the clock the internal clock i think.

hmmmmmm

are these easy to get and replace in my saturn?

Yes, if the battery in the Saturn dies then you lose your saves when it's powered off.
These batteries are cheap/easy to find and easy to install in the Saturn.

Stewox

Banned
No offense, but this is a very misleading thread title.

This battery is for clock. Stuff like this only needs to be replaced once in 3-5 years. Same goes for GamePad battery. The replacement for GamePad battery is for dead batteries which are overused and do not charge as much as new ones would.

This is good news, all this stuff user replacable in case of malfunction or age.

But the point of getting a new system for me is also looking at the great Manual and reading it all thoguh, so this is spoilers for me, im closed eyes until I get my own into my hands.

Yes, true gamers see value in every aspect and appreciate, the unboxing, manual reading it's all top-notch moments!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
why is this news?

the Wii has the same battery and the GC has it too (and you can't change the GC's one since it is soldered in the controller ports chipset)

this just powers the internal clock.

Neither of the other current gen consoles have it in such a user-serviceable position. It's weird, is all.

Top Bottom