• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

c-murph

Managed to pick up Dazed and Confused, Nashville, and The Thin Red Line this week. In addition to digibook versions of The Hustler and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. To top it off, I also grabbed the Ultimate 70th Anniversary edition of Citizen Kane. Got a good price for all of them to boot, so all in all a good week.

I thought I managed to score the Friday the 13th boxset off of Bestbuy.com, but I was shortly placed on backorder soon after. They seem to be getting in some stock every now and then so maybe I'll get lucky.

I'm so jealous and at the same time happy that you found The Third Man at a pawn shop, especially shortly after you started collecting. I'd feel like I'd hit the lottery if I stumbled upon that.

In case you didn't know, it's one of the most highly coveted 'out of print' Criterion's.

I know! I saw it on the shelf and had to double take. It was the only Criterion I was aware of that was Oop. Then it turns out that the others (Howard's End, Le cercle rouge, Army of Shadows, Pierrot le fou) were Oop. So, I had to go back and buy them too. lol For collection purposes. They also had Léon Morin, Priest - which is oop but I didn't pick it up. Maybe in a couple week when I go back and if it's still there. They also had Fear & Loathing, Che, Mulholland Dr, A Room with a View, Modern Times, and the blob that I wanted to pick up. They had quite a few titles there.

Man, I assume someone was in some financial need to get rid of all their discs or maybe they just completely gave up on the game and sold their collection.

Ridley327

This is wonderful news.

Apparently, this release will be the first "complete" version available on home video. I think it's had some music rights clearance issues over the years that led to some footage being excised on top of music being replaced, so this should be a pretty damn big deal.

Target is currently running a buy 2 get 1 free sale and movies are included. I have no clue how long this deal is going to last, but I'm about to spend a bunch of cash right now.

omgkitty

Target is currently running a buy 2 get 1 free sale and movies are included. I have no clue how long this deal is going to last, but I'm about to spend a bunch of cash right now.

I think it runs through the 18th. Since the Criterion sale is coming up, and I'd rather spend a little extra to put towards getting a free $50 gift card on their site, I decided to pick up some Warner Archive titles. Got Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Wrong Man and On Dangerous Ground. It's amazing how many titles they've put out that could have easily been tent pole releases for someone like Criterion, but are instead relegated to B-tier Warner releases.

berzeli

Banned
New Eureka (Masters of Cinema) titles:
C4ozvzYWQAAUMus.jpg:large
C4o1RRxWEAAxcWo.jpg:large

For some reason they're also releasing Blue Lagoon (not as a MoC obv.)

I really like that Drunken Master cover.

swoon

I think it runs through the 18th. Since the Criterion sale is coming up, and I'd rather spend a little extra to put towards getting a free $50 gift card on their site, I decided to pick up some Warner Archive titles. Got Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Wrong Man and On Dangerous Ground. It's amazing how many titles they've put out that could have easily been tent pole releases for someone like Criterion, but are instead relegated to B-tier Warner releases.

at least for dangerous ground, it's half the price has a commentary and looks great. criterion wouldn't have added anything to it.

Ridley327

Oh wow, MoC managed to get Drunken Master out before Twilight Time. TT announced that and Snake in Eagle's Shadow ages ago.

berzeli

Banned
Oh wow, MoC managed to get Drunken Master out before Twilight Time. TT announced that and Snake in Eagle's Shadow ages ago.
And the extras are looking really solid (wonder if TT will match it):
  • Definitive transfer from 4K digital restoration
  • The original complete Cantonese soundtrack, rarely heard on home video
  • Alternate Cantonese, English and Mandarin audio options
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Audio commentary by Hong Kong film experts Ric Meyers and Jeff Yang
  • New video interview with director Yuen Woo-ping
  • Video interview with Jackie Chan
  • New video interview with film scholar Tony Rayns
  • New video appreciation by director Gareth Evans (The Raid film series)
  • Deleted scene
  • Original trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring new writing and archival imagery
Trailer, it's probably not going to look better than that.

c-murph

I have Hard Times from Twilight Time. I thought they had Drunken Master coming someday. Guess not.

omgkitty

at least for dangerous ground, it's half the price has a commentary and looks great. criterion wouldn't have added anything to it.

I don't disagree some discs do have some great versions, but then something like Out of the Past only has a commentary. Or Bad Day at Black Rock.

I sold some stuff this afternoon and decided to buy a *few* more.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Dark Passage
I Confess
Key Largo
Murder, My Sweet
Suspicion
The Big Sleep
The Picture of Dorian Gray
To Have and Have Not

I just noticed the thread title was updated. Nice.

In other news, I went absolutely bonkers with the Target deal. I still plan on grabbing a couple of titles during the B&N sale later this month that weren't available on Target (Blood Simple, Moonrise Kingdom), but until then I've got a plethora of films coming my way. I also received the Lone Wolf and Cub collection today, Amazon had it priced at around $40 for a short time earlier this week and I took advantage.

Lot's of great stuff to watch and I still haven't finished up with my 2016 MOTY list yet.

Ridley327

May announcements!

872_BD_348x490_original.jpg

873_DF_348x490_original.jpg

The glorious return of WCP and of dual format!
871_BD_348x490_original.jpg

870_BD_348x490_original.jpg

This month's totally expected upgrade:
484_BD_348x490_original.jpg

And this month's totally unexpected upgrade:
84_BD_348x490_original.jpg

New 4K restoration + the inclusion of I Was Born, But... and the surviving excerpt from A Straightforward Boy

TheFlow

Banned
That ghostworld cover is so meh. why couldn't they just use the existing art ughhh! this better not be a recurring trend with that style of art.

that Goodmorning cover is amazing. Dheepan too!.

berzeli

Banned
Oooh. Criterion is finally getting more Ozu out, hope they have more to come and since BFI has stopped releasing new titles maybe bringing them to region B land if they can.

That WCP box is terrific.

Ridley327

Oooh. Criterion is finally getting more Ozu out, hope they have more to come and since BFI has stopped releasing new titles maybe bringing them to region B land if they can.

That WCP box is terrific.

I know the first box was a notoriously soft seller for them, so it seems like they'll have an easier time with this one with the higher profile titles that it counts among its ranks. I know people were worried for a while with other recent WCP titles getting solo releases, but here we are.

omgkitty

Well that's one way to sell more WCP boxes...put Taipei Story and Mysterious Object at Noon in there!

That ghostworld cover is so meh. why couldn't they just use the existing art ughhh! this better not be a recurring trend with that style of art.

The cover is done by the artist who wrote the comic the movie is based on.

The cover is done by the artist who wrote the comic the movie is based on.

Also, the poster for the original theatrical release was pretty ugly. This totally looks like an eightball cover so it's perfect.

(And btw it is indeed the final version of the sketch currently for sale that I mentionned earlier).

omgkitty

Also, the poster for the original theatrical release was pretty ugly. This totally looks like an eightball cover so it's perfect.

(And btw it is indeed the final version of the sketch currently for sale that I mentionned earlier).

It's one of those things that I think it looks bad because of the coloring. It's amazing how much coloring can ruin a drawing.

c-murph

that Goodmorning cover is amazing. Dheepan too!.

It looks like they were trying for a comic cover but didn't have the rights to use their image and then went off to make their own and failed.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow May Announcements:

UK Only:
C44JeWcWAAETKJT.jpg

UK&US:
C44LIfuXUAADFPy.jpg

I can't fucking believe they're releasing Evil Ed. Like wow. I mean it's not Nore Norold levels of obscurity. But of all Swedish films, this is the one they're releasing.
(well, to be fair to them Thriller: A Cruel Picture/They Call Her One Eye hasn't finished its restoration yet and that pretty much is the only other one I can think of that suits the Arrow Video range)

Ridley327

Brain Damage is such a rad film. You get the usual Henenlotter madness with a straighter horror leaning than his normal output and a surprisingly effective anti-drug message.

I'm guessing that the Phenomena set is more or less a Region B port of Synapse's recent set?

Ridley327

Nope, new 4K remaster done in-house at Arrow and new extras (including a new documentary on the film it seems).

Oh wow. Reading the specs makes it sound like that the other cuts are probably going be from the same masters that the Synapse already used, but their own restoration for Argento's cut is some real dedication.

I skipped out on Synapse's Phenomena so the new Arrow release with a brand new documentary is a no brainer. I wonder if they'll continue to redo their earliest releases. Hopefully they can manage to get ahold of Dawn of the Dead again and do right by it. The old Anchor Bay set was my favorite DVD, I miss when Anchor Bay gave a shit.

Brain damage is, well, a no brainer.

berzeli

Banned
4K master just means its ripped from a 4k source right? Its not true 4k on a 4k UHD bluray.
REmaster. As in Arrow created a 4K source on which the bog standard 1080p blu-ray is based.

It's pretty unlikely that any of the niche labels will release a plethora (or any) UHD blu-rays in the near future.

c-murph

REmaster. As in Arrow created a 4K source on which the bog standard 1080p blu-ray is based.

It's pretty unlikely that any of the niche labels will release a plethora (or any) UHD blu-rays in the near future.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Blurays are probably going to be the last big form of physical media. I'm not sure 4K blus are really going to catch on.

Basically, the Arrow release of Phenomena will probably be the better looking of the two versions... Although, I think I'm going to stick with the Synapse release and pick it up with Popcorn.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That Cops Vs Thugs cover is brilliant. Is that like a classic Japanese crime exploitation flick or something? Never heard of it before.

Ridley327

Awfully cruel of Arrow to set expectations for the Academy slate from last month with all of them making it over to, well, this lineup. I'm a big fan of Franju, but then they drop that UK exclusive Marx Brothers set.

Top Bottom