• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The French almost reviews Fallout 3 and hates it

Sectus

Searched a little bit and I couldn't find any other thread about this. Anyway, a French magazine was going to review Fallout 3 but decided to wait until the official release. So instead they wrote a slightly negative preview of the game. Translation of the article here: http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=45725

A few notable quotes:
This article is not a test. Just an "introduction for things to come". Why? Because the conditions under which I had to play this "RPG" were not acceptable: sixteen hours in a row in a luxurious hotel on an almost finished build, Bethesda asking to see my screenshots in order to "approve" them...These factors, going from obnoxious to truly scandalous would have made my review biased or even dishonest. Well, I mean a little more dishonest than what I usually do. But have no fear, even though I was deprived of my screenshots, I'm not deprived from my opinion. Condolences: Fallout 3 is a sluggish device, soulless, not exactly terrible, actually almost enjoyable, but totally forgettable because of uncountable dishonest compromises.
Most locations you can discover are "raider dungeons". City ruins are copy-paste of the same and only model, here and there flavored by the same and only model of tricycle (the very poetic "Red Ryder") and even worse, the main quest will get you through an Hellgate London-ish nightmare in which you had to pass through kilometers of underground for hours and hours.

He's being extremely critical and mentions basically nothing positive (although, there's a chance the translator skipped parts of the preview). But I do kinda like this honesty, negative parts of games are rarely mentioned in other reviews and previews. It sounds like he's exaggarating but some points seems extremely likely (like the "dungeons", something I quickly got tired of in Oblivion). And he's got a very good point about the conditions he were expected to review the game. The same thing has been done with other AAA titles, and there's no doubt that's not an ideal way to review a game.

Chiggs

Some of this sounds right (and somewhat exaggerated), and yet I'm still excited for the game. Lots of underground stuff? Count me in.

-Kh-

Banned
I played the game for about 10 hours (PS3 version), and thought was a great game overall, however, personally I didn't like it, not because of being a bad game, but because of its post-apocalyptic setting.

But that's just personal taste since I prefer fantasy better.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
-Kh- said:
I played the game for about 10 hours (PS3 version), and thought was a great game overall, however, personally I didn't like it, not because of being a bad game, but because of its post-apocalyptic setting.

But that's just personal taste since I prefer fantasy better.

Get out ya ninny

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
What makes this more honest than the previews that have praised the game? I think the truth will lie somewhere in-between.

-Kh-

Banned
HK-47 said:
About not like post apoc RPGs

Well, it wasn't my cup of tea, it just seemed too Mad Max to me, and the story didn't entertain me. The quest/mission system was nice, it was really similar to Oblivion, with a somewhat different fighting system.

It was fun to kill (blow up) the 2-headed cows from those nomad vendors.

AndyD

aka andydumi
His impressions sound like the GTA 4 pressured "reviews" but he refused to budge and be manipulated.

It sound like a shallower Oblivion in a post apocalyptic world, but with more underground parts rather than outdoor areas and the now familiar Oblivion "identical" dungeons over and over.

We will have to see. It has a huge bar to live up to...so reviewers better be careful and not let themselves be bought out.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
andydumi said:
His impressions sound like the GTA 4 pressured "reviews" but he refused to budge and be manipulated.

It sound like a shallower Oblivion in a post apocalyptic world, but with more underground parts rather than outdoor areas and the now familiar Oblivion "identical" dungeons over and over.

We will have to see. It has a huge bar to live up to...so reviewers better be careful and not let themselves be bought out.

Well Oblivion was hyped to high heaven and got amazing scores out of the press. I think I'm gonna wait until the clamor dies down and people really assess the game.

Sectus

Willy Wanka said:
What makes this more honest than the previews that have praised the game? I think the truth will lie somewhere in-between.
The truth is definitely somewhere in between. This article seems to be way too negative (althougy many of his points makes sense), while other previews simply don't dare to write anything negative at all. A perfect preview would explain the good and bad things.

Teknoman

Well im not really a long time Fallout fan (this would probably be my first one). So as long as it delivers a decently atmospheric post apocalyptic RPG with a decent amount of weapons and equipment types/ unique enemies, im good.

saunderez

Well it certainly looks like NMA managed to get some of their people into the gaming press.

If he couldn't find variety in setting he didn't look hard enough. And by hard enough I mean at all.

Rolf NB

Willy Wanka said:
Dialectics truly is the bane of modern society.

X26

Banned
saunderez said:
Well it certainly looks like NMA managed to get some of their people into the gaming press.

If he couldn't find variety in setting he didn't look hard enough. And by hard enough I mean at all.

So out of 10 what would you give it? How long did it take you to beat?

saunderez

X26 said:
So out of 10 what would you give it? How long did it take you to beat?
The main quest is short and can probably be done in 15 hours or so if you charge through. This is what I've done the first time through, however I just re-rolled so I can play through again as a different character. A friend has spent over 40 hours and hasn't finished the main quest and still has a lot of exploring and side questing to do.

I'd give it a 9. It's certainly not perfect but it is a great addition to the Fallout series and a worthy successor. My main beef is a few of the quests have lazy design, but by and large they are excellent.

saunderez

X26 said:
Eh that length seems alright
Yeah, considering most people will spend a lot of time side questing outside of the main quest I think it's a fine length. Certainly not magnitudes shorter than the originals anyway. Fallout was never meant to be charged through like I did.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Well to be fair you can complete fallout 1 in about 15 minutes if you know what you are doing.

shuri

Banned
Sectus, any mention in the review if the game has french voice acting or perhaps french subs? This is for a younger cousin of mine who doesnt speak a word of english

urge26

saunderez said:
The main quest is short and can probably be done in 15 hours or so if you charge through. This is what I've done the first time through, however I just re-rolled so I can play through again as a different character. A friend has spent over 40 hours and hasn't finished the main quest and still has a lot of exploring and side questing to do.

I'd give it a 9. It's certainly not perfect but it is a great addition to the Fallout series and a worthy successor. My main beef is a few of the quests have lazy design, but by and large they are excellent.

bout time I read something positive.... I just hope the overall experience can deliver something along the lines of Bioshock sans ending.

Sectus

shuri said:
Sectus, any mention in the review if the game has french voice acting or perhaps french subs? This is for a younger cousin of mine who doesnt speak a word of english
I don't actually have the preview (and I don't understand French anyway). But as far as I know, just about all games released in France are dubbed and they should most definitely be subtitled.

sikkinixx

I'm so mixed on this game .... still. I was not impressed with that I tried at PAX, but it was a short demo (well it was because some cunt from RPG world or something got me booted off for his preview) and not a final build or anything. I don't want Oblivion with guns in a wasteland, that isn't fallout :( *sigh* No doubt the reviews from IGN will be another 10 or close to it, but things like this kinda make me even more iffy in a packed season

saunderez

I love this...1 bad preview and everyone drops the game completely. Forget about the good reviews (newest one I read was 9/10 from Australian gaming mag PC Powerplay). 1 negative preview is all it takes! Meh, you're the ones that are going to miss out on a great game.

Don't change GAF....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's really depressing me that it doesn't immediately seem like they've learned a lot from Oblivion. :(

And it's really shitty that they didn't at least hire new VA. :lol

SamBishop

Banned
Apparently this person has never actually reviewed a game early or something. If he doesn't like the idea of sitting in a room and playing through things early, then he can wait until the final retail copy comes out and play it in whatever setting he wants, but the self-righteous bitching just confuses me.

The process of "checking out" screens is done to a) avoid spoilers or parts of the game that Bethesda doesn't want out there yet (as recently as just a few weeks ago, we still weren't allowed to touch the main story quest or talk details about it) and b) avoid someone parking the camera inside the character model or some other random weirdness.

Maybe it's because I spent time on the other side of the fence doing PR or something, but nothing about what he describes is in any way "dishonest" or irregular. It's an unfinished version of the game, and in exchange for getting an early crack at the review, one must be willing to do it on Bethesda's terms or wait until the game hits stores, plain and simple.

The setting of things there makes even more sense given that Euro journos regularly and brazenly break embargoes and leak code to the public -- particularly French ones -- and with the game already leaked, I can understand Bethesda wanting to keep a tight lid on things to avoid more headaches.

StuBurns

Banned
16 hours straight is pretty brutal.
I don't even see why they do that, give out review code, PS3 version if you're worried about it leaking online. Send to the offices to let people take it home and play it in a suitable environment. I can only see this kind of thing hurting a game review. I don't see the logic at all.

SupahBlah

Banned
SamBishop said:
The setting of things there makes even more sense given that Euro journos regularly and brazenly break embargoes and leak code to the public -- particularly French ones -- and with the game already leaked, I can understand Bethesda wanting to keep a tight lid on things to avoid more headaches.

Isn't the leaked copy a review copy anyway?

SamBishop

Banned
SupahBlah said:
Isn't the leaked copy a review copy anyway?

Apparently, yeah, but then that's all the more reason to keep an eye on everything, I suppose. I do know that our PS3 review build of the game (hell, it may even be a retail copy) is going to get here by Friday, but I'm sure things are being handled differently in Europe.

Mimir

saunderez said:
I love this...1 bad preview and everyone drops the game completely. Forget about the good reviews (newest one I read was 9/10 from Australian gaming mag PC Powerplay). 1 negative preview is all it takes! Meh, you're the ones that are going to miss out on a great game.

Don't change GAF....
Oblivion got lots of great reviews as well, and I thought that was shit. I never really had very hopes for the game, and even ignoring the biases of this preview, I can tell that this won't be a game I will like.

saunderez

Mimir said:
Oblivion got lots of great reviews as well, and I thought that was shit. I never really had very hopes for the game, and even ignoring the biases of this preview, I can tell that this won't be a game I will like.
But it's not Oblivion, it plays very different, has a totally different setting. If you liked Fallout you will like this game. Unless you are from NMA, then you will bag it out on forums whilst secretly enjoying it.

StuBurns

Banned
saunderez said:
But it's not Oblivion, it plays very different, has a totally different setting. If you liked Fallout you will like this game. Unless you are from NMA, then you will bag it out on forums whilst secretly enjoying it.
Is it not very similar though? That same awful character interaction/voice acting etc?

saunderez

stuburns said:
Is it not very similar though? That same awful character interaction/voice acting etc?
Not really. It's certainly not worse than the voiced parts of Fallout 2. You can tell it's a Bethesda game. But it's not Oblivion. I didn't really enjoy Oblivion at all.

I will never understand how saying negative things (overly critical and often exaggerated) makes something more "full of truth".

saunderez

klownboots said:
I will never understand how saying negative things (overly critical and often exaggerated) makes something more "full of truth".
Everyone wants it to fail because it's not a Black Isle game.

StuBurns

Banned
saunderez said:
Not really. It's certainly not worse than the voiced parts of Fallout 2. You can tell it's a Bethesda game. But it's not Oblivion. I didn't really enjoy Oblivion at all.
That's good to hear, I might rent it, see if I want it. I was pretty much writing it off since I hated Oblivion and the videos out of E3 were shockingly boring. But the world itself does look very cool.

Top Bottom