• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeron

As amusing as this is (very), There's no way I'm paying full price for the game. I must have 150+ hours invested in the original trilogy's single player content alone. If I play ME:A, it will be months from now.

moar

ironcreed

Banned
UnitedLameElver-size_restricted.gif

Zqcri3V.gif

xce9.gif

Perhaps MJ was playing in the background.

I'm kinda dumbfounded Bioware can't get animation right still. None of their titles have been strong there, and Andromeda in general looks outright goofy at times the animations are so jank

DKF590

The snap judgements of the game might be a littttle bit overboard, but the "Sorry, my face is tired." line remains funny every single time.

Is it possible to give this game a 10/10 for gif and meme inspiration? Cause it is contributing to the arts and that is a worthy pursuit.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh my god what happened Bioware?? I loved Inquisition :(

Same here. And I always expect some jank from BioWare, but this is looking like it is going to be on another level. Not to mention that some of the conversations sound like some cheap text-to-speech software. Still excited, but I will be going in with tempered expectations for sure.

I am kinda shocked by how much of this there is.

BioWare animation has always had a, uh... quaint quality to it (everyone by now has seen enough finger quotes, leaning back while crossing arms, awkward dances, and slow turns to the side and walking off camera to last a lifetime).

But before this the biggest non-glitch goofs I could think of were weird ME1 instances of characters getting caught on geometry, the bizarre ME3 running animation, and that one time in Dragon Age 2 where characters in a tavern do the "exit stage right" thing in a small closed room with your party standing at the only exit. But this has given us backwards guns, noot noot lips, weird boneless legs of multiple varieties, oddly mechanical walking, floating T pose men, teleporting characters, characters disappearing while still in frame and it's not even out yet.

Mr. F

Banned
I kind of feel for the animators who worked on this for years on end, I can't imagine they're too stoked about the end product either.

But on the other hand these threads are the most interested I've been in the new game??

how close is this game to release, and by that i mean not looking like you're paying for a 60 dollar beta test

i'm pretty sure games that came out 2 generations ago looked more convincing than this lmao.

lld6j5o.gif

U6qGkiX.gif

man, remember when we talk about how bad the facial animation in Horizon Zero Dawn is? looks like oscar worthy acting compare to this

jayu26

All of this made me want to watch other Mass Effect games and check to see if I remembered them correctly. So I youtubed bunch of videos. They have terrible face animations but the lines were stitched together in much more believable way. Combine that with better dialogues and fantastic line delivery and it does start to feel like Andromeda is a step back. Moreover, I was taken aback by how good the camera work is in Suicide Mission and even during the Sovereign's invasion of Citadel in Mass Effect 1. I hope there are epic moments like those in this game.

Lime

I am kinda shocked by how much of this there is.

BioWare animation has always had a, uh... quaint quality to it (everyone by now has seen enough finger quotes, leaning back while crossing arms, awkward dances, and slow turns to the side and walking off camera to last a lifetime).

But before this the biggest non-glitch goofs I could think of were weird ME1 instances of characters getting caught on geometry, the bizarre ME3 running animation, and that one time in Dragon Age 2 where characters in a tavern do the "exit stage right" thing in a small closed room with your party standing at the only exit. But this has given us backwards guns, noot noot lips, weird boneless legs of multiple varieties, oddly mechanical walking, floating T pose men, teleporting characters, characters disappearing while still in frame and it's not even out yet.

Based on what I heard Giant Bomb, PC Gamer, and Gamespot say, the game seems to be undercooked and rushed. I don't understand how that can be the case after 5 years of development, but Gamespot especially was really trashing the game in their first impressions.. EA obviously do mock reviews before releasing a multi-million title, so they certainly know that their product is not up to standards.

(warning: tales from my ass): I worry that it's been through troubled development. New studio with a new engine, the ongoing departures by various positions, the weird, unclear and quiet marketing, the re-use of animations from ME1-3, the incredibly poor facial animation, and the long development time, the shoddy character creator. After 5 years of development, EA had enough and said fuck it, ship it. Which is why they were so late in announcing a precise release date, why we saw animation bugs in high profile marketing trailers 2 months before release, why the gameplay reveal was a context-less PS4 Pro tech demo, etc.

If the rest of the game is as bad as what we've seen, I'm surprised if they didn't just NBA Live and let it rest in the desert in the company of Jesus Bynum (half-joking)

(warning: tales from my ass): I worry that it's been through troubled development. New studio with a new engine, the ongoing departures by various positions, the weird, unclear and quiet marketing, the re-use of animations from ME1-3, the incredibly poor facial animation, and the long development time, the shoddy character creator.

Colin Moriarty hinted a little bit back that a member of the team basically told him this game has had some serious development hell

I get the feeling that BioWare's signature animations are going to be really hard to ignore in a game of this fidelity. And when compared to their current contemporaries it will be a lot harder to forgive.

Like, am I crazy, or should this not be a problem in 2017?

Based on what I heard Giant Bomb, PC Gamer, and Gamespot say, the game seems to be undercooked and rushed. I don't understand how that can be the case after 5 years of development, but Gamespot especially was really trashing the game in their first impressions.. EA obviously do mock reviews before releasing a multi-million title, so they certainly know that their product is not up to standards.

(warning: tales from my ass): I worry that it's been through troubled development. New studio with a new engine, the ongoing departures by various positions, the weird, unclear and quiet marketing, the re-use of animations from ME1-3, the incredibly poor facial animation, and the long development time, the shoddy character creator. After 5 years of development, EA had enough and said fuck it, ship it. Which is why they were so late in announcing a precise release date, why we saw animation bugs in high profile marketing trailers 2 months before release, etc.

This all seems very easy to believe. This game has never had an air of confidence about it.

There is indeed always jank, but this is looking more and more like it is going to take the cake in that regard. The signs of a new team are quite evident.

Should a new team to the ME universe not have experienced members in it though, or is it just 100 graduates on their first ever job working on this game?

ironcreed

Banned
All of this made me want to see other Mass Effect games and check to see if I remembered them correctly. So I youtubed bunch of videos. They have terrible face animations but the lines were stitched together in much more believable way. Combine that with better dialogues and fantastic line delivery and it does start to feel like Andromeda is a step back. Moreover, I was taken aback by how good the camera work is in Suicide Mission and even during the Sovereign's invasion of Citadel in Mass Effect 1. I hope there are epic moments like those in this game.

Despite all of the jank in the old games, it was tolerable because on the whole they were typically of high quality. I am hoping that some of that managed to find it's way into this one.

decisions

Colin Moriarty hinted a little bit back that a member of the team basically told him this game has had some serious development hell

I remember this. Something like, "One day I'll tell you about over a drink". Colin of course speculated that that statement that the game was made roughly, but I think that's pretty reasonable speculation.

Just been watching the documentary on the making of GoW2 and there seemed to be some tension there (even though the game turned out stellar).

Man, I would love to see the making of this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom