• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC has WiiU's gamepad functionality on PC/Mac/360/PS3

UPDATE: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/1...rectors-cut-is-also-coming-to-ps3-360-and-pc/

PlayStation Vita will act as a second screen for the PlayStation 3 version and SmartGlass along with a compatible tablet works for the Xbox 360 release.

Looks like all versions will have the functionality? edit: Yup it's in a press release: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/11/deus-ex-directors-cut-coming-to-360-ps3-pc-mac-later-this-ye/

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION – Director's Cut also offers a full slate of second screen features for the Wii U GamePad, Microsoft's SmartGlass, and the PlayStation Vita system that make the touchscreen interface Adam Jensen's primary neural hub enhancement.

--

Original post:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/21/deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut-coming-in-under-60/

The Wii U version was announced three months before Xbox 360 and PS3, and it has three exclusive features. One is the game's full, 300-page strategy guide digitized in the menu, and two is an Infolog feature that allows players to record voice, text or stylus drawings on any location in the campaign, and share that customization with people on their Miiverse friends lists who also own the game. A hovering icon is overlaid on the game wherever friends have added notes. The third feature is an upgraded augmentation: One ability standard in Human Revolution allows players to see through barriers to track enemies on the other side, and with the Wii U gyroscope in Director's Cut they'll be able to lift the GamePad and scan those foes, seeing each target's stats and loot before moving in for the attack.

Director's Cut is also on its way to PC and Mac, and those versions will include a secondary screen as well, Lead Designer Emile Pedneault said. He didn't specify whether that second screen would be a mobile app, a third-party device or a donkey on roller skates. It was all very vague.

I was already ok with the PC version receiving the revamped AI, lighting, and bossfights. But this is overdelivering on value.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0042_kman.gif

Eusis

Take a second monitor that has a touch screen, put it on your lap, true second screen experience. Also like the least comfortable experience.

... Maybe they ARE supporting those? Without the internet to put therm on your lap anyway.

jaz013

Banned
So..., it's KB+Mouse/Gamepad + Tablet/Phone?

This set up it's going to be clumsy and frankly sound waaaay too tackle-on (and who knows who paid for it).

And even so, the WiiU's gamepad is "not innovative", "clumsy" or "an ill-conceived and gimmicky concept".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, going call this what it is, a terrible feature since, you kind of need that second screen controller to make this idea actually work.

Grief.exe

I guess you put your phone/tablet on a stand in front of you and play like that.

I support anything that frees up the screen from UI elements. One of the things I really appreciate about the DS/3DS two screen design.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not that hard to download an app on your phone and just set it again your monitor though.

Well, if it is like the WI U version, it isn't just a map, you supposed to do like inventory management with the Wii U Controller, which is kind of asking a lot for those without four arms.

Lumyst

no!
its forbidden!
they cant say the release date!. its the law!

Surely it's going to be purchased alongside Super Mario 3D World and Sonic at the Olympic Games and Wii Party U and they want to strategically launch it among the other upcoming WiiU titles.

Grief.exe

Well, if it is like the WI U version, it isn't just a map, you supposed to do like inventory management with the Wii U Controller, which is kind of asking a lot for those without four arms.

In that case, I would prefer inventory management with the M/KB. The app replacing the mini map and, potentially, some more UI elements is enough for the PC version.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, but what are they going to do for those people that bought a copy before they announced they were porting it?

I really hope they do something but if not whatever I'll just play the non-DC version.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Surely it's going to be purchased alongside Super Mario 3D World and Sonic at the Olympic Games and Wii Party U and they want to strategically launch it among the other upcoming WiiU titles.

I really have to wonder where this project went askew, this was supposed to be a quick and dirty port job of a 2 year old game with some WII U tokens, and now we get this mess.

cacildo

i was hoping for a quiet release between september anc october with a decent $30 or less price on the eshop

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
i was hoping for a quiet release between september anc october with a decent $30 or less price on the eshop

The Wii U version has been priced at 50 USD, and this is why publishers are getting called out on their ghastly Wii U support.

Lumyst

I really have to wonder where this project went askew, this was supposed to be a quick and dirty port job of a 2 year old game with some WII U tokens, and now we get this mess.

Well, Square Enix believes the WiiU audience would be more receptive to this than a Dragon Quest X release in the west :p. I didn't get the game on the 360 so I may get this game for the WiiU though, weirdly enough even though Splinter Cell was the critical game for 3rd party support, this game is the one that actually appeals to me and so this is the niftty WiiU gamepad as gadget game I shall get.

edit: ^Oh, $50...I'll think about it. Wait, I forgot about Watch_Dogs, another nifty gadgety game, coming out too. Choices, choices.

Kazerei

Banned
Hopefully it will work using dual monitors. I wish more games would take advantage of dual monitors. I think alot of PC gamers have them set up, and there's lots of ways dual screens can be useful.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hopefully it will work using dual monitors. I wish more games would take advantage of dual monitors. I think alot of PC gamers have them set up, and there's lots of ways dual screens can be useful.

This honestly makes more sense then using a fucking tablet screen in tandem.

Shauni

Hasn't this been known for a really long time? I swear, I thought I remember reading about this month's ago.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh, another thing the other versions of this game are being priced at 30 USD, yea, Square Enix really wants that Wii U version to fail it seems.

Any word on the price for the PC version? I'm quietly hoping for a DLC add-on priced thing I can just download to the one I already have in Steam.

Edit: ^Oh, never mind!

Well, Square Enix believes the WiiU audience would be more receptive to this than a Dragon Quest X release in the west :p. I didn't get the game on the 360 so I may get this game for the WiiU though, weirdly enough even though Splinter Cell was the critical game for 3rd party support, this game is the one that actually appeals to me and so this is the niftty WiiU gamepad as gadget game I shall get.

edit: ^Oh, $50...I'll think about it.

Oh, another thing the other versions of this game are being priced at 30 USD, yea, Square Enix really wants that Wii U version to fail it seems.

lmao. just as bad as the mass effect trilogy release. there's no way I'd double dip for $50 for a console game I already have on steam.

it's truly mind boggling what Square was thinking. StraightRight could have just as easily ported Tomb Raider or some other more recent game and released it in May.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
lmao. just as bad as the mass effect trilogy release. there's no way I'd double dip for $50 for a console game I already have on steam.

it's truly mind boggling what Square was thinking. StraightRight could have just as easily ported Tomb Raider or some other more recent game and released it in May.

To be fair, this project made a lot more sense when it was just a game being brought over to a new audience at a time when there were not a lot of competition and not being undercut at every turn.

To be fair, this project made a lot more sense when it was just a game being brought over to a new audience at a time when there were not a lot of competition and not being undercut at every turn.

Sure, the project made more sense then... but it still didn't make much sense. It would have been a port even more late than ME3... and the price could not have been anywhere near competitive. and the brand wasn't as strong as Batman. Considering the audience that would buy this game... there would be plenty who could already get it on the console or PC platform for less... How many potential new buyers would be left? Assuming a May 2013 release.

Regardless, if it's out as an update for Steam, I'd consider it depending on price. There's already way too much other stuff this holiday competing for my time and money.

Sometimes I feel these companies are trolling Nintendo and its fans.
Announce game as an exclusive, few months later "forget it guys, it's going to be in other platforms too".
Hype dual screen functionality, few months later "it's going to be available on other consoles too".
And there's even the $20 difference too.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sure, the project made more sense then... but it still didn't make much sense. It would have been a port even more late than ME3... and the price could not have been anywhere near competitive. and the brand wasn't as strong as Batman. Considering the audience that would buy this game... there would be plenty who could already get it on the console or PC platform for less...

How many potential new buyers would be left? Assuming a May 2013 release.

Well, the other dropped shoe is the fact that it is a Director's Cut filled with new content, the original implicit message was, you want the new shit, buy the Wii U version. At any rate, that still doesn't excuse Square Enix for turning this into a game of sabotage.

Dambrosi

Banned
Yeah, but what are they going to do for those people that bought a copy before they announced they were porting it?

I really hope they do something but if not whatever I'll just play the non-DC version.
It's been a long time now since the original Human Revolution, and a lot of people got it at a heavy discount or for free (including me - twice). Plus, this Director's Cut is a reaction to players' complaints and suggestions (or so they say).

I wouldn't be surprised if they made PC users pay the full premium edition price for a patch.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yea, going call this what it is, a terrible feature since, you kind of need that second screen controller to make this idea actually work.

It's the definition of clumsily shoehorned in. And an example for why the screen being in the actual controller is the superior second screen design for games, unless of course it's used for multiplayer and not meant to be controlled by a single person.

Top Bottom