• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

berzeli

Banned
Fuckin' hell Twilight Time, I didn't think your covers could get worse but here we are.
11cvQhl.jpg

It is just some promotional pic + an ugly ass, weirdly aligned, and inappropriate (both for 1959 and the film itself) as fuck font.

For reference, the below took me less than four minutes to create, and isn't really good (I would align Taylor further to the right + some other things). It is just to show how minimal (and let me stress that minimal) effort would make it look a lot better.
9KZTxJY.png

edit: still a bad cover, but if they had to go with that promo something like this would be more enticing
jJzoJux.png

And this took me like ten minutes to execute really bluntly (the clone job is particularly horrendous).
2nd edit: Another hatchet job, but this time based on an original poster. Is this seriously too much effort for you Twilight Time?
h9kPO2h.png

omgkitty

Strap in boys, the October releases have leaked:

Barry Lyndon
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
Personal Shopper
Vampyr
The Lure
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World re-release

BARRY FUCKING LYNDON

c-murph

2nd edit: Another hatchet job, but this time based on an original poster. Is this seriously too much effort for you Twilight Time?
h9kPO2h.png

Maybe they owners are really old, or have no artistic talent or don't know how to work photoshop? Probably all three.

Barry Lyndon
Personal Shopper
Vampyr
The Lure

BARRY FUCKING LYNDON

Barry Lyndon
Vampyr

Sold.

Anything different with the re-release I wonder?

Blader

Holy shit, Barry Lyndon on Criterion.

When the hell is that Tree of Life Criterion going to finally be announced? I thought it was supposed to be a summer/fall release.

Barry Lyndon
Personal Shopper
Vampyr
The Lure

BARRY FUCKING LYNDON
Insane month if true. I'd be getting most of these on release and the rest somewhere down the road.

omgkitty

Holy shit, Barry Lyndon on Criterion.

When the hell is that Tree of Life Criterion going to finally be announced? I thought it was supposed to be a summer/fall release.

Most likely November if I had to guess. November is usually the big blow out month for popular titles and box sets.

berzeli

Banned
To interrupt in the Barry celebrations, Arrow Academy time:

UK & US:
Zah2YSQ.jpg
V2B7ef5.jpg

UK Only:
hN4V17k.jpg
AikC6eh.jpg
VL13mne.png

Kore-eda! Anything and everything that man does I love.

I've re-uploaded all pics to imgur. This works for everyone I hope.

Ridley327

Jeez, that is one stacked October for Criterion. I can't imagine that Criterion would fuck around with the OAR for Barry Lyndon, so I expect that alone will be a big selling point for that release, on top of having actual special features for a change.

SeanC

Barry Lyndon is absolute must by. I want that shit prestine.

And Twin Peaks! The nerd in me is giddy. Can't wait to look at the boxart. Criterion has done Lynch right on their packaging and extras.

Fjordson

To interrupt in the Barry celebrations, Arrow Academy time:

UK & US:
Zah2YSQ.jpg
V2B7ef5.jpg

UK Only:
hN4V17k.jpg
AikC6eh.jpg
VL13mne.png

Kore-eda! Anything and everything that man does I love.

I've re-uploaded all pics to imgur. This works for everyone I hope.
That's it, I'm getting a region B player somehow.

Twin Peaks and Barry Lyndon, I think I’m gonna faint. (I wonder what can be included in Fire Walk with Me that’s not already in the Entire Mystery blu ray Collection?)

Shiv47

hugocésar;243719286 said:
Twin Peaks and Barry Lyndon, I think I’m gonna faint. (I wonder what can be included in Fire Walk with Me that’s not already in the Entire Mystery blu ray Collection?)

Yeah, I can't imagine what they're going to do to make FWWM worth buying if you already have the box set. But I remain ready to be impressed...

Fhtagn

Barry Lyndon
Personal Shopper
Vampyr
The Lure

BARRY FUCKING LYNDON

Is Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world out of print? I've seen copies at my local BN.

Ridley327

It might be a standalone blu-ray release without the DVD. We'll know more when it's officially announced later today.

That's what I'm guessing it will be. They've been quietly re-releasing formerly digipak dual format releases as standalone Blu-ray titles in their usual Amaray cases, and I imagine that film is popular enough to justify making the switch.

Fhtagn

I imported the hella-cheap-per-film British blu-ray set of 7 Kubrick movies a year or two back, looking forward to comparisons once the Criterion is out. Strong candidate for the next BN sale for me.

Hmmm, maybe I should pick up The Killing and Dr. Strangelove this sale? Neither are in the set.

Thought they'd might've attempted something more original with the Lyndon cover.
Similarly thought they may have attempted a reconstructed cut of FWWM, as it stands their edition lacks a purpose.
Welles' direction in Othello is (predictably) incredible <3

Ridley327

Thought they'd might've attempted something more original with the Lyndon cover.
Similarly thought they may have attempted a reconstructed cut of FWWM, as it stands their edition lacks a purpose.
Welles' direction in Othello is (predictably) incredible <3

It's a standalone release of the film for people that may not want to buy the rest of the series. Flimsy, perhaps, but considering that the first two seasons are streaming on basically everything these days, it's not without merit.

Jesus Christ @ the specs for Barry Lyndon. If this isn't as definitive a release as anyone could hope for, I don't know what else they could have done otherwise.

I mean, it’s Twin Peaks on Criterion so of course I’m gonna get it, but yeah, a pretty simple release. Looking forward to the new Sheryl Lee interview though.

Barry Lyndon features more than make up for for underwhelming cover. It’s a fine cover. It’s just the poster, but it’s one of the most technically impressive films ever shot, I’m sure they could’ve been more creative with the cover design.

Ridley327

BTW, since people might be confused as to why Othello was pushed back month, Criterion came up with a good reason by finally securing Filming Othello for inclusion with the film. It did bump up the price $10, but considering it's the final completed feature film that Welles ever made, I don't think most would complain.

Guzim

I imported the hella-cheap-per-film British blu-ray set of 7 Kubrick movies a year or two back, looking forward to comparisons once the Criterion is out. Strong candidate for the next BN sale for me.

Hmmm, maybe I should pick up The Killing and Dr. Strangelove this sale? Neither are in the set.
The Killing is great, and it also includes another Kubrick film, Killer's Kiss.

Megabat

I guess this makes me a weirdo, but I've been waiting for a standalone release of Fire Walk With Me. I guess I'm just not into physical boxes of TV series.

And the WB release of Barry Lyndon will be the first Blu-ray I will ever replace. This, uh, probably sounds stupid but 1.66:1 is my favorite aspect ratio. Hopefully we'll see a Criterion release of 2001 someday -- that would, I think, be the pinnacle of the format.

Mumei

I guess this makes me a weirdo, but I've been waiting for a standalone release of Fire Walk With Me. I guess I'm just not into physical boxes of TV series.

And the WB release of Barry Lyndon will be the first Blu-ray I will ever replace. This, uh, probably sounds stupid but 1.66:1 is my favorite aspect ratio. Hopefully we'll see a Criterion release of 2001 someday -- that would, I think, be the pinnacle of the format.

I confess, that was my first thought when I saw Barry Lyndon. And I will also be replacing my Barry Lyndon Blu-ray.

Also it doesn't sound stupid but I am curious why 1.66:1 is your favorite aspect ratio.

I own the Kubrick box set and I don’t mind Criterion slowly putting them out as well, especially if it means more special features and whatnot. I assume that Spartacus is next, which I don’t think is a good film. (Just rewatched it recently and I had to drink two bottles of sake to get through it.)

BTW, since people might be confused as to why Othello was pushed back month, Criterion came up with a good reason by finally securing Filming Othello for inclusion with the film. It did bump up the price $10, but considering it's the final completed feature film that Welles ever made, I don't think most would complain.

Holy SHIT!
Best news of the month easily and I love Barry Lyndon!
Must've been hell to rangle the rights for this one, great job Criterion.

Megabat

I confess, that was my first thought when I saw Barry Lyndon. And I will also be replacing my Barry Lyndon Blu-ray.

Also it doesn't sound stupid but I am curious why 1.66:1 is your favorite aspect ratio.

Honestly, so am I! I really like those numbers, I guess. One square and two thirds of another square. There it is. Actually, uh, this question prompted me to take inventory, and here are the reasons why I like the 1.66:1 aspect ratio:

- If I had to put together a lookbook of film frames, the first movies I'd think of would be Nostalghia, A Room with a View, and The Double Life of Véronique (all in 1.66:1). After that I might think about Purple Noon and In the Mood for Love. I also like the look of Errol Morris's documentary short Vernon, Florida (the proto-Vox-Trump-Country documentary (lol)).

- Every pixel of a 2K frame from a 1.66:1 film fits on a 1920x1080 monitor. It doesn't factor while watching, but I like knowing that the image is basically complete.

- I like the balance of vertical and horizontal space. I feel like you get a lot of vertical information you wouldn't have with a wider format -- or, actually, vertical space gets a fair amount of importance versus width, which inherently deserves to be greater because of human eyesight. There is a potential to be close to a subject without removing it from its environment (or chopping off the tops of towers, arches, etc.). The frames are neat, clean, and legible, sort of like a printed page.

9408_5.jpg
12554_1_large.jpg

Nostalghia, A Room with a View
3846_19_large.jpg
12106_4_large.jpg

The Double Life of Véronique, Hard to Be a God

On that note 1:85 in black and white makes me giddy, though I've never quite understood why.
It's probably just the surprise after being conditioned that B&W = 1.33 I guess...

Blader

Whoa. Filming Othello has been tied up in bullshit for like 40 years. That's a big get.

speaking of orson welles development hell wasn't his last feature being completed by netflix? wonder whats the progress on that.

and hopefully it doesn't get caught up in netflix rights shit and gets released physically by criterion.

Blader

speaking of orson welles development hell wasn't his last feature being completed by netflix? wonder whats the progress on that.

and hopefully it doesn't get caught up in netflix rights shit and gets released physically by criterion.

They started work on it a few months ago.

Top Bottom