• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive Sales: 3DS > Android > iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctual

Neo Member
Great news! I found this game to be very enjoyable, and the value/price ratio was great. This would have been definitely worth 5 Euros for me but I think the low price did a lot for it on the eShop, too.

Glass Joe

Just played through it, had fun and it was a nice challenge. Definitely a Mega Man / Ninja Gaiden vibe. Oddly, I didn't run into that boss glitch while playing on my XL. Well well worth the $2.

Tmdean

Banned
Good news. I expected that since the eShop is pretty barren with relatively high prices, and since the 3DS install base is actually larger than most people think it is, consisting exclusively of users interested in games, indie game developers were really overlooking a huge opportunity by not putting their games there.

It's nice to have a little confirmation of that hypothesis.

lfc11

Neo Member
Got it on iOS when it went free last year. Great game with a great price, will purchase it on the 3DS eshop too.

Got the Android version free from Amazon a while back. Liked the game but hated the touch controls. Picked up the 3DS version tonight.

I've gotten everyone I know to vote for it on greenlight! I hope it gets on soon! Maybe next wave.

Although I've seen you're a bit fed up with that at this point.

Just bought this randomly on the 3DS after watching a trailer in the eShop. What a delightful game!

Best way to describe it, as I'm sure it has been before, is sort of a relaxing Mega Man. Beautiful visuals and a great soundtrack. My wife and I took turns playing all night.

For $1.99 you'd be a fool not to check this out. It's worth at least 20 copies of Steel Diver that's for damn sure.

tkscz

Bought, downloaded, played, loved. Last boss took me some time and I did unlock
duck mode
, but have yet to play it. Hope to see a sequel to this.

beril

Played this yesterday, and it reminds me of Megaman a lot, which is not a bad thing at all. The placement of the enemies and platforms is so good. It really keeps you on your toes. Played through up to the 2nd world's boss, but it froze sadly, hope you can get that fixed. It's a great game.

An update has just been released for the European version which should fix the Stage 10 crash and a few other issues. The American version should hopefully be up soon as well.

DaBoss

An update has just been released for the European version which should fix the Stage 10 crash and a few other issues. The American version should hopefully be up soon as well.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up, will wait for the update to show up.

zroid

Banned
Adelman working his magic!

Hopefully more eShop devs will begin to realize that in spite of the smaller installed base of the 3DS, reasonable pricing is a great way to attract otherwise wary customers. It worked wonders for Pushmo, I think. Unfortunately I don't believe Crashmo had the same success, probably in part due to the price bump (even though it was earned, IMO).

Hero

So how long until Gunman Clive eShop surpasses Android?

Video + tweet probably had to have gotten a decent amount of numbers. They should've highlighted it's a 2 dollar game.

If it gets an eShop front page push I can see it matching Android sales within that week or two, at least going by the graph in the OP.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Adelman working his magic!

Hopefully more eShop devs will begin to realize that in spite of the smaller installed base of the 3DS, reasonable pricing is a great way to attract otherwise wary customers. It worked wonders for Pushmo, I think. Unfortunately I don't believe Crashmo had the same success, probably in part due to the price bump (even though it was earned, IMO).

I really don't think the price bump really made much of a difference. Anything above $2 is out of "impulse buy" territory for most people nowadays; once you pass that threshold, a buck or two either way doesn't really matter. Thanks, Apple!

vareon

Gunman Clive is the middle of the of eShop's Best Sellers category image, next to Link's Awakening DX and above Mega Man. That's kind of awesome.

Rehynn

Video + tweet probably had to have gotten a decent amount of numbers. They should've highlighted it's a 2 dollar game.

Yeah, kind of a missed opportunity, but still, I was really happy to see it mentioned on NoA's Twitter!

Looking forward to an update on the game's eShop performance, I'm sure there will be a noticable bump thanks to NoA.

DaBoss

I beat the game yesterday, and man, that final boss was great. Would love to see its eShop performance after all of this promotion.

zroid

Banned
I really don't think the price bump really made much of a difference. Anything above $2 is out of "impulse buy" territory for most people nowadays; once you pass that threshold, a buck or two either way doesn't really matter. Thanks, Apple!

I think that's true when you're just buying anything you see on impulse, but depending on the game, $6.99 versus $8.99 can definitely make a difference. For example, at $7 I might buy a game after seeing some trailers and reading some impressions. For $9, I might be more reluctant unless I had a demo or the game received lots of praise from people I trust. In Crashmo's case I knew exactly what I was getting and I knew it would easily be worth the asking price, but it's just another barrier. One which prevented me from buying Crimson Shroud immediately. I am planning to get it, now that everyone loves it, but I am pretty sure if it were $2-3 less, I'd have already purchased it, several weeks ago.

Just downloaded it on 3DS as well. I dismissed it first, but now got around watching the trailer and I love the hand drawn stuff too much to pass it up.
At 1.99€ it's perfectly priced as well.

Hope you'll do well with it.

n64coder

Just got my copy for my XL. Fun game. The only thing I disliked were the button controls. I would have preferred b/a instead of b/y. Did anyone else have this issue?

I often view my friends list on my 3DS to see what people are playing. One of my friends was playing Gunman Clive. I never heard of it prior. So I went on the eShop to check it out... saw some videos and it looked cool. The $1.99 price point really helped things too. So I went ahead and purchased.

I only played a couple of levels because I'm still finishing up Crimson Shroud. But I'm looking forward to really giving it my undivided attention. I'm also very curious about this special mode a few people were speaking of on the first few pages... I'm excited to see!

Rehynn

Finished Hard Mode with Ms. Johnson and
Duck Mode
today. Soooo good. I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed the latter, and
duck
on a rocket has to be the funniest thing I've seen in video games lately.

What does the star that appears next to some levels on the lower level select/stats screen mean?

EDIT: Oh, cool, thanks. This game is really good for quick sessions, so I'll definitely revisit it for speedruns.

also

Banned
Finished Hard Mode with Ms. Johnson and
Duck Mode
today. Soooo good. I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed the latter, and
duck
on a rocket has to be the funniest thing I've seen in video games lately.

What does the star that appears next to some levels on the lower level select/stats screen mean?

If you finish levels under a set time, you get a star next to your time. You should try to get them all, it will make you appreciate the level design even more.

beril

Game is now featured on the front row of the NA 3DS eShop.

Awesome, I guess Dan Adelman really followed through with his tweet. It's featured in the European eShop as well this week. Can't wait for todays numbers, though I'm trying to keep my expectations in check.

Diablos54

I got this earlier today (Despite knowing nothing about it), it's pretty good, great value for only £2, very glad I brought it. I'm only on stage 8 (I think), but I can tell it's gonna be fun as hell speed running this after I beat it for the first time, not that it's not fun playing normally of course. :p

beril

Any chance that you could give us a ballpark estimate of the android LTD Beril or would that be indirectly violating Nintendo's policy?

I'm not sure what I can say and not, but I can't really hide that since it's displayed in Google Play. It's in the 10-50k range. Since that's a pretty big range and the lower end would be kindof bad for a 2$ game, I'll add that the combined sales are in the 50-100k range

teeny

Bought this on iPad, simply couldn't get used to the controls and therefore bought on 3DS.

I love it! My only criticism is it's length, and that is a selfish one. I simply didn't want the game to end. There were a lot of ideas in each level I thought could have been expanded more, especially the gravity stuff at the end. A whole game could be made with that concept alone!

The art style is great as well, though I would have liked further use of colour. I would be interested to see another game that uses colour the way that the old shading demo does.

Seriously, great job on this and congrats on the sales so far.

I'm not sure what I can say and not, but I can't really hide that since it's displayed in Google Play. It's in the 10-50k range. Since that's a pretty big range and the lower end would be kindof bad for a 2$ game, I'll add that the combined sales are in the 50-100k range

Wow. Congrats!

shauntu

Just checked out the 2/14 Nintendo Show on the 3DS eShop, and Gunman Clive was highlighted in a segment along with Super C...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom