• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo now co-owns the Fatal Frame IP alongside with Tecmo Koei

Alrus

Nintendo invests in the weirdest things.

Fatal Frame isn't bad or anything, but it's never been a particularly popular series, and its most popular games weren't even released on Nintendo platforms. Plus the Nintendo published games haven't even gotten released outside of Japan. How much do they expect to make with this investment?

Actually Fatal Frame IV is the best selling one in Japan, and it was planned for release in the west but there was an issue with Tecmo refusing to fix some bugs for the western release so it was canned. The fact that they localized Spirit Camera and that Fatal Frame 2 Wii is coming to europe means that they still have plan for the series outside of Japan.

It's probably not an expensive IP and Nintendo probably wants more diversity in their offering.

Alrus

Not without Falcom on Nintendo! Seriously, when I stop to think about it you just outlined a nightmare scenario to me, even with the best intentions there.

There is absolutely no reasons Nintendo would buy a publishing company, they really don't need to. I don't even see why people would speculate about that.

Astery

Damn. I just hope Nintendo will make good use of this IP. Fatal frame 2 is still one of my favorite horror game of all time.

Who am I kidding. Xenoblade is the best JRPG this gen and Nintendo didn't even bother marketing it anywhere. Just a few crappy ones even in Japan.

Takao

Banned
There is absolutely no reasons Nintendo would buy a publishing company, they really don't need to. I don't even see why people would speculate about that.

I'm pretty certain yuzo was just joking. Nintendo buying XSEED would be one of the larger tragedies in gaming.

Eusis

Oh yeah, they'd more likely want to buy a full blown localization house like 8-4 or something I'd think, but I was just pointing out how buying Xseed actually isn't in the best interests of games coming out of Japan.

Zekes!

I'd like to see Nintendo (specifically NOA) create a sub brand for publishing games that might be either "for an older audience" or that are just different from their usual "for everyone" approach. To me, that seems like a potentially good idea when it comes to getting certain Nintendo games outta Japan, but...

Eusis

Adopting the black bar might actually not be a bad idea outside of Japan, there it seems short hand to warn parents, here I think you'd more likely just drive up sales and interest because suddenly it looks more mature.

shaowebb

This is a perfect match IMO. The Wii U tablet was already being used for stuff like scanning in Zombi U. Using it for Fatal Frame stuff makes the ghosts LITERALLY right in your face for the scares. This sounds like a great way to play these games.

Now if you'll excuse me...

*hugs knees in terror at the memories of this series and tries not to shit himself*

RagnarokX

Beth Cyra

I really hope they do a two HD collections with 1/II Remake and 3/4 and then release them in N/A.

Haven't played the games. Always wanted to try the franchise, this one and Clocktower both.

Eusis

Seriously though, what are the chances of the FF2 remake coming to the US?
Honestly, I think odds are about 50/50. They skipped on FF4 and many more niche games, but FF4 was apparently a bug ridden mess, they DID get Spirit Camera out here, and they've been bringing stuff like Xenoblade and Pikmin 2 here while letting Xseed take Last Story, and becoming co-owner here implies a serious intent to invest in this series. Better to take a glass half empty view here rather than half full, at least then if they announce it it'll be a pleasant surprise rather than something to be expected.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think it stands a chance, with Last Story coming out I'm secretly hoping they announce it for this summer or a Halloween release or something. Better than nothing. Spirit Camera did come here, and them co-owning it does mean they seem like they want to get series with this series and have some plans for it.

shaowebb

I'm sure the Fatal Frame 2 Remake game will be better. I mean, just watch the game's newest trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHnVCegIp8

Looks like they really are toning it down for the Wii audience
I'm lying my ass off, that looks creepy as hell.

LLGIw.gif

Game Guru

I'd like to see Nintendo (specifically NOA) create a sub brand for publishing games that might be either "for an older audience" or that are just different from their usual "for everyone" approach. To me, that seems like a potentially good idea when it comes to getting certain Nintendo games outta Japan, but...

Perhaps that's why Nintendo has interest in Tecmo Koei. After all, they own Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and half-own Fatal Frame. Save for the Musou games, all of those are M-Rated. If Nintendo bought Tecmo Koei, it could literally be their Mature imprint.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Perhaps that's why Nintendo has interest in Tecmo Koei. After all, they own Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and half-own Fatal Frame. Save for the Musou games, all of those are M-Rated. If Nintendo bought Tecmo Koei, it could literally be their Mature imprint.
Why would Nintendo buy partial ownership of Fatal Frame if they wanted to buy Tecmo Koei anyway? If they bought Tecmo Koei, they would own the series anyway, so I think this shows they want to have a long-time partnership, but not own the company.

FatalFrameU

What's Spirit Camera like? Is is like a normal Fatal Frame but with AR stuff?
no, it's AR with some Fatal Frame stuff

---
it's really good news; at least we can expect this series not being turned into an action game like almost every other survival horror out there

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
has any other company gained control of a series after more than a few previous entries of the series were released on competitor consoles?

Microsoft took Banjo-Kazooie from Nintendo, though that was buying the whole company rather than the IP so it's not quite the same thing.
And we all know how THAT turned out.

Eusis

has any other company gained control of a series after more than a few previous entries of the series were released on competitor consoles?
FF was sort of a de facto Sony property with the PS1 and to lesser extent PS2 generations, but that wasn't made official in the way this was, not unless you count Sony buying a significant chunk of Squaresoft shares, plus that applied to a ton of franchises that generation.

We also had an inversion of this with Crash and Spyro, Sony properties groomed to be mascots, only for Universal to take them fully then run them into the ground until Crash was forgotten and a hideous incarnation of Spyro was a character in what was more or less a whole new franchise.

EDIT: Wait, FF does come a bit closer than I gave it credit for: SCEA published FFVII and FFT, but beyond that didn't have a serious enough stake in the series.

FyreWulff

In a different reality, this would be Nintendo and Resident Evil.

Exclusive REmake (and it still is), exclusive RE: Zero (still is), enhanced version of RE2 (I believe all other versions of RE2 are still based off the PSX or Dreamcast versions), RE4 was exclusive for most of it's development until Capcom.gif

Also no control taking, but the relation between Nintendo and Konami re: Metal Gear Solid is up there in wtf-factor.

I don't plan on ever buying a wiiU, i'm not a fan of peripherals, especially not in my survival horror, i actually thought Zombiu's "now look down at the tablet" stuff was lame and gimmicky, to see fatal frame go a similar route burns, i won't support it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I hope they'll publish also the 4th episode outside of Japan, then.
Also if I already played it with the patch.

AniHawk

Sonic
Mega Man
Banjo-Kazooie (competing first-party and not third-party, but see how much I care)

if nintendo bought sonic, it would kill sega. nintendo would need to buy the skies team and sonic team for me to not be too torn up about that.

Top Bottom