• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things 2 spoiler thread

RSP

Ok - Just finished it last night.

I was about to quit after EP1, then watched 2,3 and 4 in one go. 5 & 6 in another night and then finally 7,8 and 9.

I didn't mind episode 7. It was a bit weird, but I thought it was OK. Also I wasn't aware of episode 9, so while watching episode 8, I was constantly thinking "how the hell will this end".

Best bits:
- Seeing the cast grow up
- New characters Max & Bob
- Posessed-Will
- Snowball dance
- That 80's vibe. I need more!

OK bits:
- Eleven's mom. So she's adopted by Hopper now, but she knows she has a mom, who by the way has been fighting to get her back? How does that work.
- Max's step brother. Don't even remember his name. Smoking while working out. Oh the edge. The part with Mrs. Wheeler was cool though. They should have let him smoke in the shower.

Ugh bits:
- Bob :(
- Why did Hopper have a box of confidential information stacked underneath the floor of his dad's cabin?
- Wynoda has a couple of those "ok, watch me act" moments. Seems fake sometimes.

Edit:
I also tried watching "Beyond Stranger Things"
but that was the ultimate cringefest for me.

mantidor

- Eleven's mom. So she's adopted by Hopper now, but she knows she has a mom, who by the way has been fighting to get her back? How does that work.

Hmm this was pretty clear, she is catatonic, not even Ele could get to her, she is stucked in that loop of memories.

Kimawolf

Hmm this was pretty clear, she is catatonic, not even Ele could get to her, she is stucked in that loop of memories.
Yeah her physical brain is broken.

In this series I believe the physical brain is a receiver for consciousness. Since her physical brain was broken she is stuck. How i see it anyhow.

Finally finished it this weekend.

I liked it, even though season 1 was WAY better. In season 1 the big baddie got to die, even though we now know it wasn't that big of a baddie. In this season... well, he was there, untouched, from the 1st scene of the 1st episode, until the last scene of the last episode.

They better think of something new for the next season, because while people might be ok with more of the same one time, more of the same two times will definitely not be so easy to accept. And by something new, please no more Kali. I'm hoping she gets her spinoff so i can ignore it and not have her messing around with season 3.

120v

please no more Kali. I'm hoping she gets her spinoff so i can ignore it and not have her messing around with season 3.

kind of implicit she has a big role to play next season (or after).

disappointment with episode 8 (or was it 7? whichever had kali and the lame 80s gang) was unanimous and the duffer bros are receptive to criticism so they'll probably retool that story arc

JimiNutz

Banned
I really liked the start of the season but started to feel like I'd seen enough Stranger Things by the end. I think they need to mix it up a lot more in the third season to prevent the formula from getting stale.

El/Jane looked incredibly cheesy hovering in the air fighting the demon thing at the end as well. Looked really cheap and took me out of the scene a lot.

Overall I'd say it was a solid 7/10 but I fear for the future of the show if they don't make some bigger changes next time around.

t-storm

Has it been answered where all of the demadogs came from?

kind of implicit she has a big role to play next season (or after).
Exactly. There's still so many unanswered questions: what happened to Papa, what was he trying to do...

I think the monster from S2 is still (hopefully) not the real evil but there's still something greater, more menacing out there.

And yes Kali will be important to helping Eleven confronting Eleven and finding all of those answers out.

Also:

DORf50eXUAEU76g.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
I really liked the start of the season but started to feel like I'd seen enough Stranger Things by the end.

I think that about sums up my feelings in one sentence. I didn't dislike it, but it was one episode too long and didn't fulfill me as well as the first season.

Da-Kid

Is it me or is Steve one of the rare characters that start off as an huge asshole to being one of the most sympathetic, likeable characters? There's some real character development there.

I like the combo of him and the group of kids.

Not a very good season. I mean, the map was just stupid, and I really don’t like the way they wrote Eleven. Not even gonna start on the whole Chicago plotline.

enjoyed it for the most part, a bit below s1 for sure though.

season felt completely different and forced. not what i signed up for.

dont want to go in depth or detail my thoughts on the characters, but i hope s3 doesnt continue down this rabbit hole of "feature creep", feels like they blew their load in s1, but tried too hard for s2. its getting a bit absurd/complex for what it needs to be. i would say less is more.

Da-Kid

I think this season was just as good as the first. I liked episode 7, it was a nice change of pace.

aaronsan

Banned
i think it was definitely racism. When he first saw her talking to him, he said "there are some things you learn when you're older, and hanging out with that kind is one of them." or something to that effect.

As to why they were avoiding being obvious with him being a racist? People can be racist and not say "hey im a nazi". I think they did it just right as I know people who had parents/siblings just like that he would not say they were racist, but it was SUPER OBVIOUS.

How in the hell did I miss that quote??? Not saying you're wrong, but wow. Because I was thinking racism too, but never saw a sign of it.

Guess I need to go back. And of course, it does make sense, given the times when this show is set.

Because racism is totally dead now, of course, but back then.... XD

aaronsan

Banned
Bob's death was predictable as hell, but it still got me pretty badly when he died. He was a likable character (with no flaws whatsoever), so it's quite unfortunate that he died. It was really cruel when the Duffer Brothers decided to add a scene in which they pan out on a shot of the demo-dogs feasting on Bob's corpse; like seriously, that made me feel worse.

Wait wait wait but wasn't it specifically Bob's TERRIBLE advice to Will that got him possessed? Or are we all taking that eventuality as given, no matter what Will did?

Da-Kid

Wait wait wait but wasn't it specifically Bob's TERRIBLE advice to Will that got him possessed? Or are we all taking that eventuality as given, no matter what Will did?
Yes, but he had no idea what Will was actually going through, he was talking about a dream.

BlindMan94

Neo Member
Doing a standalone episode like 7 wasn't an inherently bad idea, but having so little happen in it that they could have done the same storyline in about 5 minutes in the background of another episode made it feel pointless.

Doing a standalone episode like 7 wasn't an inherently bad idea, but having so little happen in it that they could have done the same storyline in about 5 minutes in the background of another episode made it feel pointless.
I think it relied too heavily on 80's nostalgia.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Bob was talking about actual dreams. The hell did he know. Also, it seemed like Will getting possessed by that thing was pretty much inevitable, I mean he had no control over those upside-down 'episodes' happening anyway, eventually it was gonna happen.

The God

I thought it was kinda weird that Mike acted like a shithead to Hopper for hiding Eleven, when Mike did the same thing a year ago. It's like he should understand Hopper's decisions better than anyone.
I guess his reaction was just him being an irrational kid

Funny since they did a really poor of selling it as being such. Kali in particular could of jumped out of any awful abc family show from the last decade or so.
Kali maybe, but not the rest and not the setting with the graffiti, the burning trash barrel and the music.
The whole season 2 relied too heavily on 80's nostalgia in my opinion.

kunonabi

I thought it was kinda weird that Mike acted like a shithead to Hopper for hiding Eleven, when Mike did the same thing a year ago. It's like he should understand Hopper's decisions better than anyone.
I guess his reaction was just him being an irrational kid

Mike was just an asshole to everyone the whole season outside of Will and Eleven.

aaronsan

Banned
Bob was talking about actual dreams. The hell did he know. Also, it seemed like Will getting possessed by that thing was pretty much inevitable, I mean he had no control over those upside-down 'episodes' happening anyway, eventually it was gonna happen.

Well, quite. I thought he was talking about bullies, so perhaps he gets more of a pass. This is one of those "needed to happen for the plot things that annoy me" that I just need to accept, I know.

Finally saw this and it was pretty bad. S1 wasn't all that great, but I love the '80s. That side trip episode was so terrible and out of place. New ginger is an awful actress. Plot didn't really go anywhere. Surprise, big mystery monster is back to do...whatever giant shadowy monsters do

As a grown man I cried at the dance scene...I can’t ever fault Nancy again for what she did.

Also what the fuck man...Bob? Why did he have to die?

Kadayi

Banned
Not finished yet, but I hoping that there's a major improvement after the dumpster fire that was episode 7.

Grinchy

Banned
Not finished yet, but I hoping that there's a major improvement after the dumpster fire that was episode 7.

It was only possible to go up from there.

They could have had Steve shoot up in a rocket into space to kill an alien with his nailbat, and it still would have been a major improvement.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Just binged watched seasons 1 & 2. Have to agree with the people who disliked season 2 episode 7. So out of place. The cheap X-Men spin-off analogy was right on the money. Made the series feel like the exact type of shows I try to avoid. Also agree with whomever said that they lost the eighties vibe in that episode. The gang felt like they could have been plonked right into Suicide Squad or any modern movie. So weird.

I hope for a return to form with season 3.

I just watched S1+S2 for the first time. I think it's a tad over hyped (and I mean that literally, just a smidge) but overall I loved it. I can't wait for S3

And I teared up at the dance scene damn it

Ombra

I liked episode 7.

It showed what 11 could have become if things were different, it gave us another person with power that actually rivals her own. She dipped her toes into that world and realized it wasn't good for her, but came back stronger for it and able to "save" the day.

Every good series has an episode 7, a break from the story in another setting where a character splits off and learns who they truly are and returns to apply that knowledge.

And anyone saying it wasn't 80's must be under 20. I lived in chicago in the 80's it nailed it.

t-storm

I liked episode 7.

It showed what 11 could have become if things were different, it gave us another person with power that actually rivals her own. She dipped her toes into that world and realized it wasn't good for her, but came back stronger for it and able to "save" the day.

Every good series has an episode 7, a break from the story in another setting where a character splits off and learns who they truly are and returns to apply that knowledge.

And anyone saying it wasn't 80's must be under 20. I lived in chicago in the 80's it nailed it.
index.gif

Fbh

Finished it recently.

Overall I liked it. Felt a bit too similar to the last season and it obviously doesn't feel as fresh anymore but it was still a lot of fun.

I didn't dislike episode 7 as much as most but it made me worry for season 3. I really hope it doesn't turn into crappy X-Men with a bunch of kids with special powers . 8's going to be in it I guess but I hope they leave it at that

Mike was just an asshole to everyone the whole season outside of Will and Eleven.

Yeah. That's one of my issues with it. Both Mike and eleven were pretty much just assholes to everyone until the final episode .
I understood their motivations and it's made clear why they are being assholes.... But in a show like this I still think you should be trying to make your 2 most important characters more likable.

taizuke

How come the demogorgons are more dog-like this time around? The first one had a more human form. If i'm to compare it with aliens then depending on the host shapes the creature but was there anything in season 2 to suggest that?

And did the demogorgons (demo-dogs) loose the ability to travel between the upside down and the real world? Again, if they explained it i must've missed it.

Chuckie

How come the demogorgons are more dog-like this time around? The first one had a more human form. If i'm to compare it with aliens then depending on the host shapes the creature but was there anything in season 2 to suggest that?

And did the demogorgons (demo-dogs) loose the ability to travel between the upside down and the real world? Again, if they explained it i must've missed it.

I think the Demo-dogs where one stage from becoming adult (and more humanoid) Demogorgon.

I am not sure what you mean by losing the ability to travel between the two worlds. They travelled to the real world to kill and hunt and stuff. No need to go to the upside down.

taizuke

I am not sure what you mean by losing the ability to travel between the two worlds. They travelled to the real world to kill and hunt and stuff. No need to go to the upside down.

The demogorgon in S1 was able to create temporary portals/gates that allowed it to cross into the real world. Unless that too is reserved for the final stage like you say.

t-storm

They also didn't explain where all those demadogs came from.

In S1, there was only ONE demagorgon but in S2 there seemed to be HUNDREDS of demadogs.

judhudson

They also didn't explain where all those demadogs came from.

In S1, there was only ONE demagorgon but in S2 there seemed to be HUNDREDS of demadogs.

I thought that was answered - or can be assumed that they came from the tunnels that were growing all underneath the town. I suppose the show should had made it more clear (that people's pets were going missing due to the creatures eating them) but I suppose they were just feeding off of wildlife, but even then that should had been covered outside of just the crops rotting.

Also, here they talk about how the Demodogs were in fact, a stage before the Demogorgon:
http://www.tvguide.com/news/stranger-things-2-upside-down-how-they-made/

The team reverse-engineered Dart: "We had to think about the Demogorgon [Season 1's big bad] as a creature that goes through stages and develops over time and molts and all that — basically working backwards from the Demogorgon in Season 1 and figuring out what stages of the evolution in the life cycle of a Demogorgon would look like," says Trujillo.

The Duffers knew they wanted three to four stages, from a baby to an adolescent Demogorgon. So the Graffs started with a "frogogorgon", the tadpole sized monster Dustin first discovers in his trash towards the beginning of the season. The next stage they called a "catagorgon", which, ironically, is the size big enough to eat Dustin's cat. And the last stage was originally called a "dogogorgon", then flipped to demodog in the script. "He needs to be big enough to sit in the Ghostbusters pack," Trujillo notes. "But then we need him to be big enough to eat a cat and be really scary, you know what I mean? So it was figuring out the physical size elements first."

"And at what point does his face open up? Because clearly, it starts out and you can't quite tell that it has this monster maw," Trujillo continues. "In order to not give it away that it's actually a Demogorgon, we had to be careful about making sure that its tether mouth isn't obvious, and it didn't even have four legs in the earlier stages," adds Christina Graff.

t-storm

I thought that was answered - or can be assumed that they came from the tunnels that were growing all underneath the town. I suppose the show should had made it more clear (that people's pets were going missing due to the creatures eating them) but I suppose they were just feeding off of wildlife, but even then that should had been covered outside of just the crops rotting.

Also, here they talk about how the Demodogs were in fact, a stage before the Demogorgon:
http://www.tvguide.com/news/stranger-things-2-upside-down-how-they-made/
Frogogorgan XD

Thanks for posting that.

Ok that's some additional insight and I knew they were in the tunnels but Dart was presumably the slug that Will coughed up so where did all the other demodogs come from... they just crossed over from the upside down to the portal in the lab and made their way to the tunnels? Just wondering why that didn't happen in S1 and there was only one demogorgan then. Seems like a bit of a leap.

Top Bottom