• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecrafts Better Together Cross Play is already magical in my house

DJ_Lae

Oh shit, I forgot this was all patched in now - I'll have to try it tomorrow.

Have multiple phone/tablet versions, the XBox One and Windows 10 on a few PCs. I'd love to see how it all works together now (I believe the W10 one already has worked with mobile for a few months).

Would be better if it allowed for hosting your own home server (like you can do with the Java version) instead of needing to pay for realms

Realms are definitely convenient but it would be nice to have the option if you have a spare PC lying around. Still, I can't imagine they have any interest in adding such a feature if they can just charge you for it.

Sorry OP but your kids don't seem to understand business. It is your duty to explain to them why they should stop having fun and start caring about a corporation's bottom line.

Great photo!

Cool! If this update+crossplay ever arrive on PS4, I'll buy 2 copies for me and my brother, who owns an XB1.
I guarantee you it will. Sony will relent sooner or later. Maybe it’ll just take time, maybe we’ll need another giant like Destiny to make them buckle, but whatever the case, it will happen.

CookTrain

I guarantee you it will. Sony will relent sooner or later. Maybe it'll just take time, maybe we'll need another giant like Destiny to make them buckle, but whatever the case, it will happen.

Destiny won't even move the needle compared to the frustrated Minecraft parent wave that's coming.

This is so awesome. Crossplay between PC and console or between multiple mobile devices was already a thing, but seriously, who would have thought we'd have people on Xbox One, PC, Android, Switch (soon), iOS playing together in one of the biggest games in the world? This is the future, and I really hope Sony and other publishers eventually cave in. It has no drawbacks to the customers who'll finally be able to choose a game based on their platform preference or ownership, rather than having to chase the playerbase or something. It still boggles my mind that it works so well. Kudos to Microsoft.

I wonder if there will be some console double dipping. Not really any need if people are ok on tablets though.

Sure, but when Christmas rolls around and little James pines for his first console, will he ask for one that he can play Minecraft with his friends on (Xbox / Switch), or the other one?

Colbert

Banned
Thread got attention

nti5fie.png

a.wd

1st props on the room, that looks like a wicked gaming den.

2nd Mandatory hulk, check

3rd this is the dream for kids, my little ones aren't old enough for MC yet, but I would imagine thats coming, but my niece is into it in a massive way and she has friends with the:

Gear VR
Ipad
Android
Xbox
PC
PS4 version, so my uncle has already said he is getting her a realm, and her and her mates went apeshit.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
That's an interesting point. I wonder if this will affect a companies decision to use their servers (eventually).
nah, just a joke. People won't know what is going on behind the scenes.

The biggest long term benefit that Minecraft has on Microsoft though is that Kids growing up thinking of Microsoft not as the company that makes Windows and Office but as the company that makes Minecraft. A lot of these Kids will be the next generation of programmers. Extremely important with Windows not being the dominant computing platform anymore.

They have that education Edition in schools which I assume will teach them the basics of programming using Microsoft tools. And of course the software is perfect for Hololens. The more and more you look at it, Minecraft was really a genius purchase for them.

For me though, i'll just stick to Lego.

ResoRai

That's really awesome. Also your kids have a dope room OP.

Thank you OP for this post. In an age where it feels like all anyone does is bitch and complain it's nice to see a reminder that kids don't give a shit and are just happy to play together!
It really is.

Gowans

Haha thanks guys.
The big lad will be chuffed when I tell him everyone likes his stuff and his room.

They will both flip out knowing Minecraft staff saw this and it made them happy.

They will be back at it tonight to have a later stay up Friday night in the Realm.

Widge

Would be better if it allowed for hosting your own home server (like you can do with the Java version) instead of needing to pay for realms

I wonder if you can do that anyway? I've got a NAS that I've toyed with making a minecraft server out of. Never really taken it any further as it isn't a pressing need right now. He just pops up in the selector if he is online and I just jump into his world if I see fit (everybody on iOS).

RSP

So you don't need to exchange friend codes? Can I set this up for my son so he can share invites with a bunch of his friends from school?

Iced Arcade

That picture alone really shows you the next step in gaming and how awesome it can be with cross-play on all these devices.

Does the Windows 10 version of Minecraft get the Better Together update for free, and does it mean W10 version now has infinite world's? Sorry for my ignorance if this comes off as ignorant.

Unai

Does the Windows 10 version of Minecraft get the Better Together update for free, and does it mean W10 version now has infinite world's? Sorry for my ignorance if this comes off as ignorant.

Yes. Mine already updated and has infinite worlds.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
OP, are your kids not carefully considering the financial implications of Sony allowing this on their platform?

I just think that with all that time enjoying the game, some time on that subject is probably necessary.

Market leader Sony is truly the worst. While I don’t give a shit about Minecraft this is awesome and hopefully leads to most games having the same thing. Hopefully Sony realizes how stupid they are and changes their stance.

GodofWine

Does this work with the Amazon version of Pocket Edition? My kids, 6 and 8, both play Java MC on their own PCs (raising them right ;) ). We'd play Win10 together, but since we have a PS4 too (womp womp), the only third option we have is Kindle Fire HD...unless Sony snaps out of it.

(or Dad [me] finally builds himself a PC - but as soon as I built theirs in May, GPUs and memory basically doubled in price)

Armaly

Does this work with the Amazon version of Pocket Edition? My kids, 6 and 8, both play Java MC on their own PCs (raising them right ;) ). We'd play Win10 together, but since we have a PS4 too (womp womp), the only third option we have is Kindle Fire HD...unless Sony snaps out of it.

(or Dad [me] finally builds himself a PC - but as soon as I built theirs in May, GPUs and memory basically doubled in price)

Side load the android version on the kindle?

Jeremy

Its a server for you and 10 friends.

It's all my lad wanted for his birthday so I told him when the update was out he could have it for a year.

He's invited his friends who he wants to join and they all have a persistent infinite world they can play in together from any device.

This is such an amazing idea. Do you rent a Realm or is it one-time fee?

Hold up, OP you shouldn't have those Disney Infinity toys blocking the ventilation on the Xbox.

First thing I noticed as well.

There's also a naked disc laying on top of the console <shudder>. At least it's not a stack of them all rubbing against each other which is I what I see a lot.

I have the regular Android store sideloaded onto my Amazon HD8 and Pocket Edition from the Android store works fine.

Honestly it's five minutes work to get play services and the android store running on an Amazon tablet.

dubq

Those poor poor children. I'm calling Sony right now to put a stop to this horror.

Has nothing to do with children for Sony. Why in the world would they ever want to send their customers to their competitor to create XBL accounts for cross platform play?

Gowans

This is such an amazing idea. Do you rent a Realm or is it one-time fee?

Free for 30 days, then you can pay monthly or every 180 days.

First thing I noticed as well.

There's also a naked disc laying on top of the console <shudder>. At least it's not a stack of them all rubbing against each other which is I what I see a lot.

Haha its a kids room stuff like that happens till Nighttime tidy-up. It's ok don't worry :)

leeh

Has nothing to do with children for Sony. Why in the world would they ever want to send their customers to their competitor to create Microsoft (Outlook, Skype, Office, Xbox, Mixer) accounts for cross platform play?
FTFY

Good to see it being put to use and kids enjoying it! Enjoy your quiet life with occupied kids OP :)

MUnited83

For you.
Has nothing to do with children for Sony. Why in the world would they ever want to send their customers to their competitor to create XBL accounts for cross platform play?

They don't create XBL accounts, they just use Microsoft accounts, accounts that the majority of people already fucking have to begin with. All this dumb ass "oh it's because of XBL that they won't allow it" is completely and utterly non-sensical.

sugarless

So you have to pay a monthly fee to play with your friends in Minecraft? And is that on top of XBL Gold?

Not to play with them - all you need for that is the fee for general multiplayer on your system of choice, if any. This monthly fee is to have your world hosted on external servers and available at all times.

It works this way: if you and I like to play together and we are working on a world together, without Realms, one of us has to be the host who has the save file for that world on our console. The host goes online and the guest joins my session. But as soon as the host quits the guest is kicked out. You would have no way to continue building our castle or whatever in your own time if I am not online and loaded into that world and letting you come in to my session.

With Realms the world is just there on the server, independent of specific consoles, save files and single sessions, and anyone with access can jump into it when they want. It's much more flexible that way for having a world you and multiple friends can play any time. We could have group play sessions to build together and separately jump into "work" on stuff on our own or in smaller subgroups.

Of course if your playstyle is more towards logging on at the same time anyway and you wouldn't want to go into that world without the other person, you can just do normal multiplayer.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Amazon app store already updated with the Better Together update.

Ferny

This is so awesome. I love stuff like this. Kids get so excited for stuff they build in minecraft and it's awesome to see.

Top Bottom