• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Diablos54

Ooo that little sting of Clara's theme.
127.gif
Yea that was a low blow damn it!

Thought it was a very good introduction episode for Bill, and that trailer, lots of good stuff to come!

This is the slickest ep Moff has ever done.

Random nanoship being able to travel through time and defeat daleks is a bit silly though.

Was that the Dalek-Movellan war?

Razmos

That episode was fantastic. Absolutely love Bill. I can see Heather coming back at the end of the series to save Bill and take her away just as she is in mortal danger, and they both get a happy ending

doop_

Banned
The coming soon trailer was really good, the coming episodes seem to be much more interesting than this one.

iFirez

Way better episode than I expected. Much much better than the Christmas episode for sure. Bill is very likeable and overall didn't feel like a bore of an episode. I hope that's a sign of things to come for the rest of this season.

Well, that episode absolutely knocked its main job out of the goddamn park- Bill is wonderful. Mackie's a delight, the character felt fresh and interesting, and I adored her romance plot.

The rest of the episode was absolutely fine as a warm-up, and as a little Doctor Who refresher course, but it nailed the most important task of the lot.

Shiggy

Nice episode. Clara's theme appeared at the right moment when it was about "deleting memories".

Looking forward to next week's episode!

tomtom94

That was... pretty good. Felt like it had had a lot of rewrites and I suspect that it won't stand up to the slightest bit of fan scrutiny (ironically)

- I was expecting more on the Doctor/Heather parallels but they're just kind of... not commented on.
- The Doctor's instant flip from "I'm in disguise and I need to stay here" to "Let's go travelling" is presumably going to be followed up later but was really jarring. It didn't feel like it was established that the Doctor was looking for a companion (edit: to go travelling with)
- Daleks' contractual appearance (not a joke, actually a thing) is now out of the way.
- The idea of having a foster mum is a nice one. I hope they follow up on the Doctor taking that picture but I bet they don't.
- Bill and Nardole are great. If the rest of the writers understand their dynamic half as well as Moffat that should be good.

takriel

So, that girl is just like dead? What about her family? The Doctor and Bill are just like, okay, she's dead, whatevs, life goes on.

Razmos

That was... pretty good. Felt like it had had a lot of rewrites and I suspect that it won't stand up to the slightest bit of fan scrutiny (ironically)

- I was expecting more on the Doctor/Heather parallels but they're just kind of... not commented on.
- The Doctor's instant flip from "I'm in disguise and I need to stay here" to "Let's go travelling" is presumably going to be followed up later but was really jarring. It didn't feel like it was established that the Doctor was looking for a companion.
- Daleks' contractual appearance (not a joke, actually a thing) is now out of the way.
- The idea of having a foster mum is a nice one. I hope they follow up on the Doctor taking that picture but I bet they don't.
- Bill and Nardole are great. If the rest of the writers understand their dynamic half as well as Moffat that should be good.
I think there's more to it than it appeared.
"What made you change your mind?"
"Time"

I bet it was a future Doctor. For what reason I have no idea.

Perhaps it's related to the vault, which is why he is also abandoning his post.

xandaca

That was a mess, the good bits entirely down to how ridiculously great Capaldi is (the relish with which he said TARDIS was glorious). Bill is OK, but so far a less interesting version of Donna, with little shown for what makes her companion material. At least she's different to Moffat's usual 'sassy' women, but character-wise is so far just an accent and a few one-liners. Similarly, Nardole took a step back from his more sober self in Dr. Mysterio to slightly irritating comic relief.

Plot-wise, the slower paced first act was the most interesting because it gave Capaldi plenty to do and the Shada-ish vibes of a university setting, then it all collapsed once the 'monster' (for lack of a better word) showed up: maybe I'll understand it better watching a second time, but it seemed almost entirely incoherent, something about sentient spaceship oil (with a voice?) which for some reason absorbed a girl (Heather) because it needed a vessel but then was trapped following said girl's crush on Bill and was able to travel through time and space, even though its whole thing earlier was not being able to move on? Meanwhile, by the end, Bill was acting as though she and Heather were star-crossed lovers (pun intended) even though they'd probably barely spent more than an hour together as far as the episode showed? And was her eye thing an actual defect or something to do with the oil?

As with most recent Moffat, its basic narrative integrity seemed to crumble the more you thought about it, and that's before the last third of the episode was just the TARDIS materialising in random CG-heavy locations rather than having any sort of story to tell. Not bad, but, as per my opener, a complete mess. Will probably watch it again, maybe it'll improve on a second outing.

In terms of season arc, the obvious hint is that Bill is Susan, but it was being pushed so hard that I expect it'll be a bluff. Feels like more Moffat fanwank that tries to generate Big Series Defining Moments based on things fans have previously liked, rather than feeling substantial and worthwhile on their own terms.

This thread reminds me that I need to get back into Dr Who. I watched the first 3 or 4 seasons avidly and kind of dropped it when Smith took over. I actually really liked Eccleston as the Dr so I might get my Series 1 box set out and binge watch.

MaKTaiL

That was a mess, the good bits entirely down to how ridiculously great Capaldi is (the relish with which he said TARDIS was glorious). Bill is OK, but so far a less interesting version of Donna, with little shown for what makes her companion material. At least she's different to Moffat's usual 'sassy' women, but character-wise is so far just an accent and a few one-liners. Similarly, Nardole took a step back from his more sober self in Dr. Mysterio to slightly irritating comic relief.

Plot-wise, the slower paced first act was the most interesting because it gave Capaldi plenty to do and the Shada-ish vibes of a university setting, then it all collapsed once the 'monster' (for lack of a better word) showed up: maybe I'll understand it better watching a second time, but it seemed almost entirely incoherent, something about sentient spaceship oil (with a voice?) which for some reason absorbed a girl (Heather) because it needed a vessel but then was trapped following said girl's crush on Bill and was able to travel through time and space, even though its whole thing earlier was not being able to move on? Meanwhile, by the end, Bill was acting as though she and Heather were star-crossed lovers (pun intended) even though they'd probably barely spent more than an hour together as far as the episode showed? And was her eye thing an actual defect or something to do with the oil?

As with most recent Moffat, its basic narrative integrity seemed to crumble the more you thought about it, and that's before the last third of the episode was just the TARDIS materialising in random CG-heavy locations rather than having any sort of story to tell. Not bad, but, as per my opener, a complete mess. Will probably watch it again, maybe it'll improve on a second outing.

In terms of season arc, the obvious hint is that Bill is Susan, but it was being pushed so hard that I expect it'll be a bluff. Feels like more Moffat fanwank that tries to generate Big Series Defining Moments based on things fans have previously liked, rather than feeling substantial and worthwhile on their own terms.

That's Moffat alright, the guy who ruined Sherlock. I am eager for Season 11 actually more than Season 10. Can't wait to see how Doctor Who will look like Moffat-less.

So, treat this as a rumour but the next Doctor has already been cast, with the mirror reporting it as
Kris Marshall.

Apparently an inside source from the show has told them they'll
appear in series 10

Part of me wants to believe it, I like that particular casting choice. But obviously these types of rumours always come out around this time of the show starting and being on.

Link:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/new-doctor-who-actor-revealed-10232705

timewyrm

I thought it was really good, was much better than I expected. I really like the fact that Bill doesnt seem as self assured as the majority of new Who companions. I feel that this will give her room to grow into a great companion.

Seeing that picture of Susan on the table, in my eyes, gives credence to the rumours of Susan and the 1st Doctor appearing

Bit gutted that there's no new theme tune.

Edit: Also, did the sfx
on that planet that the Doctor took Bill to, and Australia
look really bad to anyone else ?

So, treat this as a rumour but the next Doctor has already been cast, with the mirror reporting it as
Kris Marshall.

appear in series 10

Part of me wants to believe it, I like that particular casting choice. But obviously these types of rumours always come out around this time of the show starting and being on.

Link:

I cant see him as anything other than Nick from My Family!

I thought it was really good, was much better than I expected. I really like the fact that Bill doesnt seem as self assured as the majority of new Who companions. I feel that this will give her room to grow into a great companion.

Seeing that picture of Susan on the table, in my eyes, gives credence to the rumours of Susan and the 1st Doctor appearing

Bit gutted that there's no new theme tune.
I expect they'll be a new one with a new intro for the new show runner. Usually is!

I cant see him as anything other than Nick from My Family!
Lol, yea same. Damn good person though. Can totally see it.

Kris Marshall.

appear in series 10

Link:

If this happens my mum will start watching doctor who

tomtom94

Kris Marshall.

appear in series 10

Link:

This is not the first time it's been suggested
it's based solely on the fact he left Death in Paradise suddenly
. Will believe it when I see it personally - I seem to remember earlier in this thread it was suggested Chibnall hadn't even begun thinking about Who just yet.

xandaca

Kris Marshall.

appear in series 10

Link:

Hope it's not myself, never been a fan of Marshall. Wasn't holding out much hope for either of my preferences (Alexander Siddig or David Thewlis) but was at least hoping for someone who has demonstrated a little more eccentricity than I've seen from Marshall. An unexpected mid-season regeneration is something I've wanted to see for ages, but would be heartbreaking in this context because it'd mean less Capaldi. It's also hugely unlikely to happen because Chibnall would surely want to be writing 'his' new Doctor from the start. Probably just speculation based on the regeneration footage from the trailers.

So, that girl is just like dead? What about her family? The Doctor and Bill are just like, okay, she's dead, whatevs, life goes on.

Characters die on this show all the time and we don't get to see their families reaction.

What about Clara's family?

Kuraudo

Banned
"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"

The guy who started those rumours said that that was the reveal at the end of the coming soon trailer, which was clearly bullshit, so I wouldn't expect any of them to be right unless he made a few lucky guesses.

Kris Marshall.

appear in series 10

Link:
The BBC has flat-out said in a press release that Capaldi's the Doctor in the Christmas special. The Thirteenth may indeed appear at some point this series, but there would be absolute hell to pay if the Beeb was found to have lied in an official press release.

The BBC has flat-out said in a press release that Capaldi's the Doctor in the Christmas special. The Thirteenth may indeed appear at some point this series, but there would be absolute hell to pay if the Beeb was found to have lied in an official press release.

They could do an early regeneration and have a two doctor christmas special

tomtom94

I think the thought - certainly the one I've had - is that Capaldi's regeneration into Thirteen (Fourteen?) is the final shot of series 10, but the Christmas Special is about the events that lead up to it. That way the revelation of Thirteen could hypothetically come at the end of the series, but Capaldi will get the Christmas special all to himself.

kyo2004

Ooo that little sting of Clara's theme.
127.gif

Almost shed a tear when the notes were played... :(... Good episode for "rebooting" to the newer audiences...

Ahhh, and that explanation over time... Brilliant... :D... The Doctor as a professor is a fucking ace...

Finally, it's my impression or the bit with Missy in the coming soon feels so robotic?...

Edit: made a little webm with the TARDIS intro scene... :D...

https://my.mixtape.moe/gmbvnb.webm

tomtom94

It really is a shame the Sun leaked Simm's presence - can you imagine the fun we would have had trying to work it out otherwise? He's not instantly recognisable in that shot, particularly since it flashed on screen extremely briefly.

mclem

- The Doctor's instant flip from "I'm in disguise and I need to stay here" to "Let's go travelling" is presumably going to be followed up later but was really jarring. It didn't feel like it was established that the Doctor was looking for a companion (edit: to go travelling with)

My money's on there being a big chunk of time between one and the other *for him*.

Wasn't that the same scene we had for the preview clip last year? Although this time around, rather than extensive chat about what a Dalek is, we get "Too long to explain... And AWAY!"

Top Bottom