• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0523

Apparently, Holmes has been charged with multiple accounts of murder. NBC News
Honestly, I didn't think they would charge him this fast. Thought it'd be a much slower process.

382536_252801074836648_176846405_n.jpg

Saw this floating around my Facebook feed.

I'm as far left and as "politically correct" as they come, but I think this is stupid. If he had some political treatise written out then I believe we can start calling him a terroist. Let's waste our energies on situations where blatant hypocrisy is ignored: ie., the anti-government libertarian who flew a plane into an IRS building. He was crazy and a terroist.

JeTmAn81

Honestly, I didn't think they would charge him this fast. Thought it'd be a much slower process.

Looks like he's been charged with 24 counts of murder, as well as a bunch of other charges including over 100 charges of attempted murder. I have to admit I don't understand why the number of murders is double the number of people he killed.

Looks like he's been charged with 24 counts of murder, as well as a bunch of other charges including over 100 charges of attempted murder. I have to admit I don't understand why the number of murder is double the number of people he killed.

I'm assuming they charged him with both 1st and 2nd degree murder for each one, resulting in the double count. However, I'm clueless about the attempted murder.

Can anybody design a fucking website anymore? I click on the link and tons of garbage comes up, freezes the site and doesn't let me scroll down and comes up with their terms and conditions. These are supposed to be professional websites but they look and function like complete ass.

116 counts of attempted murder. This dude is fried or going away forever.

JeTmAn81

I'm assuming they charged him with both 1st and 2nd degree murder for each one, resulting in the double count. However, I'm clueless about the attempted murder.

It looks like first degree murder is premeditated, and second degree is when it was not premeditated or planned in advance. I find it hard to understand how you could kill someone having both planned it and not planned it in advance. There must be another explanation. The attempted murder charges are for everyone he didn't manage to kill, both in the movie theater and with his booby traps.

It's weird that they also charged him with 116 counts of attempted muder. It's also exactly double the number of wounded. Must be along the same reasoning of the double murder charges.

That's 12 counts of first degree murder, and 12 counts of murder with extreme indifference. Same distinction is made with the attempted murder charges. Thus the doubling.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/do...ictim-mother-youngest-fatality-165900852.html

A week after losing her 6-year-old daughter, Veronica, in the horrific Aurora movie massacre, Ashley Moser suffered a second tragedy.

The 25-year-old mom, who was critically wounded when a gunman opened fire at a Colorado Dark Knight Rises premiere, suffered a miscarriage as a result of her injuries this past weekend.

''Ashley Moser is recovering from an additional surgery she had this morning,'' read a statement from the Aurora Medical Center, where she's been receiving treatment. ''Tragically, the extreme trauma she sustained also caused a miscarriage."
Crazy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Did they have cameras inside the courtroom today?

Nope. Probably smart movie from the judge. No reason to give this guy reasonable stuff for a change of venue.

Ugh, I haven't had jury duty in a while. Don't even want to think how large a pool they're going to call in.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It looks like first degree murder is premeditated, and second degree is when it was not premeditated or planned in advance. I find it hard to understand how you could kill someone having both planned it and not planned it in advance. There must be another explanation. The attempted murder charges are for everyone he didn't manage to kill, both in the movie theater and with his booby traps.

Maybe it's just so he can accept making a guilty plea for 12 murders instead of 24. Raise the charge, then lower it for a guilty plea.

TheContact

really? he would have taken out every single person in that theater if he had his way, he attempted to murder them all. hopefully you have a clue now.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Maybe it's just so he can accept making a guilty plea for 12 murders instead of 24. Raise the charge, then lower it for a guilty plea.
But why? Whatever happens - whether he be charged for 12 murders or 24, he is going away for a long time or getting the death penalty (I'm not sure about Colorado law)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
But why? Whatever happens - whether he be charged for 12 murders or 24, he is going away for a long time or getting the death penalty (I'm not sure about Colorado law)

Colorado does have the Death Penalty, but the DA has stated they will go over it with the families before deciding as Colorado law allows a long appeals process, and a death sentence could drag out for over 20 years. We have a guy who committed a mass murder in 1993 who's still going through appeals.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I hate to devil's advocate a shitbag psycho, but charging anyone with 2 counts of a crime for a single crime is dumb.

FyreWulff

What's with people saying that this was all staged and is just a hoax? It's getting top comments on youtube now

People can't cope with the idea that someone would just up and do this, and so try to explain it away as something that was done by someone who could "pull it off" so they choose something big like the government.

It's like they can't believe someone so "minor" could cause so much tragedy.

Also, I hope he gets life. No death penalty. Don't drop to his fucking level, we're better than petty gangbanger-level revenge.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I hate to devil's advocate a shitbag psycho, but charging anyone with 2 counts of a crime for a single crime is dumb.

I kind of agree. I hate seeing somebody get charged with not only "assault and battery" but "brandishing a weapon" "disorderly conduct" and "being a douche" too.

That's 12 counts of first degree murder, and 12 counts of murder with extreme indifference. Same distinction is made with the attempted murder charges. Thus the doubling.
I've never heard this term before. Its fitting though.

And how about attempted murder counts fro everyone in that theater?

It's weird that they also charged him with 116 counts of attempted muder. It's also exactly double the number of wounded. Must be along the same reasoning of the double murder charges.
Gotcha.

TheContact

Amnesia...really?

I can't believe that's his excuse. The whole surrendering thing in full body armor still makes no sense to me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Conspiracy nuts. Anytime you see bullshit buzzwords like "psyop" used in a sentence, it's probably one of those losers.

I agree the idea that it's a conspiracy is bullshit, but don't tell me this guy isn't bullshitting everyone trying to get some sort of fame out of this.

This guy is ACTING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcAMRAePZk

Trying to get attention out of this. You can tell even the interviewer realizes this. When the guy tries to end the interview, the guy starts to ramble endlessly to stay on the air. He constantly talks over the interviewer trying to prevent him from asking questions so he can just carry on rambling.

What a shitty actor.

Onemic

I agree the idea that it's a conspiracy is bullshit, but don't tell me this guy isn't bullshitting everyone trying to get some sort of fame out of this.

This guy is ACTING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcAMRAePZk

Trying to get attention out of this. You can tell even the interviewer realizes this. When the guy tries to end the interview, the guy starts to ramble endlessly to stay on the air. He constantly talks over the interviewer trying to prevent him from asking questions so he can just carry on rambling.

What a shitty actor.

When someone was just in a theatre with a guy shooting at everyone beside you and you're being interviewed hours later, I think you're entitled to ramble your ass off.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
When someone was just in a theatre with a guy shooting at everyone beside you and you're being interviewed hours later, I think you're entitled to ramble your ass off.

That guy is a liar.

TheContact

That guy is a liar.

WTF? Someone here posted a video of this guy giving an "inspiring" closing speech, and it turns out he acted the whole thing out?? wtf?? what a disgusting person. His face is all over the internet, hope he gets noticed and called out on it every day of his life.

Onemic

WTF? Someone here posted a video of this guy giving an "inspiring" closing speech, and it turns out he acted the whole thing out?? wtf?? what a disgusting person. His face is all over the internet, hope he gets noticed and called out on it every day of his life.

No that's conspiracy theorists. Unless there's proof it was a lie, I'd believe him over people that want to make every situation something that was thought of by the govt/CIA

Is this site real?

http://jamesholmeswiki.com/james-holmes-parents-robert/

This is the biography and resume of Robert Holmes who is the Colorado Shooter’s father. What is the link between this man and the killings?

Job Occupation. Senior Lead Scientist at Fair Isaac. He spent his entire life in the financial and credit services. His educational background shows exceptional emphasis on Mathematics.He has an extensive educational background. It is reported that he was about to go before Congress to testify against a banking scandal. Robert Holmes current position with FICO involves him handling Fraud.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

No idea. I guess that's his LinkedIn profile http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robert-holmes/4/47b/24a

I guess most of the info is from that page actually. Don't know if he really is his father.

This is the company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Isaac

This article makes the same claim: http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021030972

According to his LinkedIn profile, James Holmes’s father, Dr. Robert Holmes, who received a PhD in Statistics in 1981 from the University of California at Berkeley, worked for San Diego-based HNC Software, Inc. from 2000 to 2002. HNC, known as a “neural network” company, and DARPA, beginning in 1998, have worked on developing “cortronic neural networks,” which would allow machines to interpret aural and visual stimuli to think like humans.

The cortronic concept was developed by HNC Software’s chief scientist and co-founder, Robert Hecht-Nielsen. HNC merged with the Minneapolis-based Fair Isaac Corporation (FICO), a computer analysis and decision-making company. Robert Holmes continues to work at FICO.

Robert Holmes brief bio at linked in states the following: “My educational background is in Mathematics and Statistics. My experience over the last 10 years at HNC and FICO has been in developing predictive models for financial services; credit & fraud risk models, first and third party application fraud models and internet/online banking fraud models.”

Management Experience: I am currently managing a team building Falcon Fraud Manager Credit card fraud models. I have also managed teams in the Telco and Identity Theft fraud areas.”

How interesting and coincidental is it that in the film The Dark Knight Rises Bane gets his hands on Software that is used to expose the fraud in Wall Street and literally guts the rich?

Sounds a bit crazy...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Its because witnesses say a man opened the door for the shooter. Who is willing to testify to it.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h4MW_qhAPAU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Gv3PGtsHg

Youtube accounts getting terminated, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPqz4bQqJY&feature=related

All we need to know, and which we don't know yet as far as I know, is HOW LONG did it take for Holmes to get to the door, and come back and shoot people? If it was like two minutes, NO way could it be the same person. He would have to get to his car, dress up, take his guns, etc.

edit: No ok the guy says 15 to 20 mins later the shooter came inside. The thing is NO ONE says they saw a guy with red hair in the room. Even this guy who says he had a goatee doesn't mention the hair or hair color. You'd think he could more accurately describe him than "he had a goatee". I don't think it's far fetched to think someone was in to go open the door for Holmes since those doors don't open from outside. Otherwise it implies Holmes somehow kept the door open and risked not getting the door shut for real by someone else while he was gone to prepare himself.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe he was wearing a hat?

Maybe, but you'd think that would be mentioned in his description. They mention his height, a goatee, but not a hat or his hair, which implies his hair was not really something that stood out. Wearing a hat in a theater is noticeable. No reason to think he was wearing one really.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ether, weren't you the guy who was chastising us earlier in the thread when there was more active reporting being shared about obsessing too much over this case?

You're obsessing too much over this case.

I was talking about shooter motivations and this kind of stuff, his "motives", etc. Stuff that should be left to investigators, and how the media sensationalizes shootings. The kind of stuff that leads to copycat crimes.

NateDrake

Its because witnesses say a man opened the door for the shooter. Who is willing to testify to it.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h4MW_qhAPAU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Gv3PGtsHg

Youtube accounts getting terminated, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPqz4bQqJY&feature=related

The only thing I don't understand in some of the video accounts is, if the movie had started, why did people think the smoke/mystery item was a method to create hype for the movie? Did the movie actually begin or was it still previews when things happened? I honestly don't know the answer. That one video the guy giving his account that was posted early did come off as an act, of course I'm not saying it was or wasn't.

I don't think it is some grand conspiracy or anything, though.

The only thing I don't understand in some of the video accounts is, if the movie had started, why did people think the smoke/mystery item was a method to create hype for the movie? Did the movie actually begin or was it still previews when things happened? I honestly don't know the answer. That one video the guy giving his account that was posted early did come off as an act, of course I'm not saying it was or wasn't.

I don't think it is some grand conspiracy or anything, though.

Because no one expects to be tear-gassed at a movie. So their minds created a semi-logical reason for what was happening to be happening.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think when people say "we thought it was part of the movie", they just mean they thought that for a split second, but it's logical they would mention they felt that. Not that they thought that and then a minute later realized it wasn't. It was a quick "uh?" rather than an immediate "holy shit, theater shooting!".

NateDrake

I think when people say "we thought it was part of the movie", they just mean they thought that for a split second, but it's logical they would mention they felt that. Not that they thought that and then a minute later realized it wasn't. It was a quick "uh?" rather than an immediate "holy shit, theater shooting!".

Yeah, didn't think about it that way. I see your point and that makes sense.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
From that article:

Fenton would have had to have serious concerns to break confidentiality with her patient to reach out to the police officer or others, the sources said. Under Colorado law, a psychiatrist can legally breach a pledge of confidentiality with a patient if he or she becomes aware of a serious and imminent threat that their patient might cause harm to others. Psychiatrists can also breach confidentiality if a court has ordered them to do so.

And she was on the Behavioral Threat Assessment Team. So sadly, it seems the matter was not taken seriously enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom