• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men of War PC - Let's Talk About It.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
27zk8cj.jpg

This is an amazing game. I couldn't make GAFs antiquated forum engine give me any old threads about this (could be my bad, if so, please link me) but it seems like a game a few of you might be playing too.

141v32g.jpg

1z3ar84.jpg

So, it's beautiful. Whole lot of details going on. Imagine a playground with lots of toy soldiers and you're controlling them like a strategic RTS but at the same time...you can take control of any unit individually and play it like a 3rd person action game. At far remove, of course, the game doesn't just switch genres really. And you're still a little piece of the puzzle, your smarts not your superhuman abilities will keep you alive.

Also, every unit, every enemy, vehicles, etc. have inventories that you can raid, switch up, etc. Kill some Germans, equip anonymous rifleman Johnny with a MP40 and some ammo. Maybe change his cap.

It's incredibly daunting, and yet addictive as hell because the amount of things you can do and mess about with.

I'm finding it hard as hell. I just got started, so if this all seems shortsighted and naive, it is. I would like some veterans feedback and tips.

I absolutely love it, one of the best games I've tried this year. So far anyway.

Tokubetsu

I tried the demo on my old pc and the demo wouldn't even run :lol . Friend of mine loves this though and I'll be sure to try the demo again now.

Broseybrose

i remember hearing Shawn talk about this game a bit, about maybe 8 months ago? that was the last i heard til this thread. :lol

Im a HUGE fan of IL-2 so ill definitely be looking into this when its released.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's crazy. My system isn't super powerful, and it runs quite well. I was thinking that it was fairly optimized. But I didn't try the demo! I went off some other internet stranger raving about it.

Oh, it also has some of the worst voice acting of ALL TIME in the very small set up cutscenes. Laughably, gratingly awful.

29.99 US on GamersGate.

I think rock paper shotgun had a writeup of a level... wait:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/04/11/step-by-steppe-men-of-war/

Essentially, thats the experience that every good level in this game creates, and most of the levels are pretty good. Things just spiral out of control, but you're presented with so many options, so many ways to approach the situation that it's incredibly rewarding. Of the three games in the series I think it's my favourite. It does much larger scale battles than the last two, and while the bigger scale stuff in Faces of War weren't as fun as the single squad stuff, here in Men of War they're totally awesome.

So yeah. Cool game. Recently had a price drop on gamersgate, and it was worth it at the original price, so it's definitely worth it now.

Broseybrose

Musashi Wins! said:
It's crazy. My system isn't super powerful, and it runs quite well. I was thinking that it was fairly optimized. But I didn't try the demo! I went off some other internet stranger raving about it.

Oh, it also has some of the worst voice acting of ALL TIME in the very small set up cutscenes. Laughably, gratingly awful.

29.99 US on GamersGate.
I think the bad voices were the focal point of Shawn's impressions of the game. :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'm painstakingly waiting on the steam release, which 1c have been blue balling me with some time with. i was planning to violently reignite whatever cinders of a thread were left then.

my time with the beta made me feel this is an extremely special game. a real time tactical simulation where the application of real-world logic and historical knowledge are just as relevant as an understanding of the game's mechanics. can an upgunned m4 knock the treads off a tiger at 500 meters? will a single he shell to the foundations of a building bring it down and eliminate the squad inside? in many ways, this game is worlds ahead of just about any other rts/rtt on the market by providing a truly analog experience. something closer to resembling a sandbox emulation of 1940's battlefields than the distinctly calculation/modifier/x>y>z>x nature of even the deeper rts games.

accumulating in an experience that is simultaneously intimidating in it's scope as it is intuitive in it's adherence to rational, real-world values.

there is not a single gamer with a vested interest in strategy games, or any form of battlefield emulation, that shouldn't find a way to try experience this game.

CiSTM

Banned
Played it at my friends place for few hours and loved it. Can't wait for my new GPU so I can play the hell out of my own copy.

my favourite part is the huge levels definitely. the train station (second russian level) was a huge revelation when I first played it. it's really almost like a tower defense level, that shouldn't be a good thing at this point, but it is.

fuck tower defense.

ghst said:
i'm painstakingly waiting on the steam release
awful

Joseph Merrick said:
my favourite part is the huge levels definitely. the train station (second russian level) was a huge revelation when I first played it. it's really almost like a tower defense level, that shouldn't be a good thing at this point, but it is.

fuck tower defense.

awful

That level was really awesome, the way it builds up from little skirmishes to a completely crushing assault, frantically trying to hold the different lines, pushing back the guys in the warehouse, taking out tanks as they roll in through the houses. Eventually you only have 5-10% left to load, and you're falling back to the last line of defense...

Damn... yeah that was a really awesome level.

The physics system and I guess the ballistics in this game is fucking amazing. Killing dudes by ricocheting bullets off a tank? Shooting THROUGH a building and disabling a Panzer IV forcing the crew to bail?

Then repairing said tank and using it to wreck shit?

Yea this game is good.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I think the game Soldiers: Heroes of World War II is like a predecessor in the same series as Men of War, is it good? i have been thinking of buying off GOG.com

epmode

I own this, BTW. I played it for long enough to marvel at the absolutely pitiful voice acting and to be confused by the UI. I'm looking forward to finally playing it after I finish my three hundred other unplayed games.
ghst said:
i'm painstakingly waiting on the steam release
I used to be the same way. Now I see that Gamersgate is right up there with the best services, if only because they tend to carry smaller European(?) games that Steam never gets. Non-intrusive DRM during the initial install only + unlimited downloads.

Steam, Gamersgate, Impulse and GOG are all excellent.

The demo should really have a better tutorial, other than that, it was really fun to play. If I recall, the Soldiers title is also sold on GOG.com, right? But not by 1c.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Joseph Merrick said:

fuck tower defense.

I couldn't agree more. This is actually the level I'm playing with now, and it's a test. Fall back and placement of guns and mines when I'm constantly fending off attack. The allocation of my units and when to retreat is devilishly entertaining. I thought about this level long after I went to bed which is always a mark of a good game.

And yes, fuck tower defense. That is like pc lite fare for the current console crop. I can't believe how many shit tower defense games are on PSN.

ghst said:
my time with the beta made me feel this is an extremely special game. a real time tactical simulation where the application of real-world logic and historical knowledge are just as relevant as an understanding of the game's mechanics. can an upgunned m4 knock the treads off a tiger at 500 meters? will a single he shell to the foundations of a building bring it down and eliminate the squad inside? in many ways, this game is worlds ahead of just about any other rts/rtt on the market by providing a truly analog experience. something closer to resembling a sandbox emulation of 1940's battlefields than the distinctly calculation/modifier/x>y>z>x nature of even the deeper rts games.

accumulating in an experience that is simultaneously intimidating in it's scope as it is intuitive in it's adherence to rational, real-world values.

there is not a single gamer with a vested interest in strategy games, or any form of battlefield emulation, that shouldn't find a way to try experience this game.

Beautiful. Really nails a lot of my initial feelings.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
epmode said:
I used to be the same way. Now I see that Gamersgate is right up there with the best services, if only because they tend to carry smaller European(?) games that Steam never gets. Non-intrusive DRM during the initial install only + unlimited downloads.

Steam, Gamersgate, Impulse and GOG are all excellent.

i'm not some mouth foaming zealot, religiously harvesting the steam store as if it was my life nectar. i just preference the system of having a persistent latest version, and given the option, i'll take it. it's by no means a deal breaker though.

soon was the last word from 1c/dms regarding steam, if i don't hear anything by the time i'm aching for something new (aside from my usual rts/fps entourage, i still haven't got to demigod, and empire is waiting on the big forthcoming patch) i'll pick it up from gg.

thaOwner

I tried it and it seemed really nice and all but I just couldn't get in. RTS games that mimic real life never seem to get me like they with some of ya'all.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I have to say that the gamersgate setup is really nice, with a nice downloadable recent patch right in your game section as well.

It's always seemed to me that the best PC games (and some more ambitious console titles) create the best stories, not out of the normally subpar writing that is fed to the player in cutscenes, but that evolves out of the freedom that the game allows. Your goals are there, but the tools and field of play are so big that an adventure is naturally created. And it's different for every player. If someone recounts it, they share that story that has a uniqueness to it that sort of the hallmark of people talking about the best games. It's something totally different than being led by the nose through one narrow vision of a story, and it's why for me, those discussions fail horribly about most games because video games aren't fucking movies or books.

Anyhow, this is one of those games. You create an adventure that's fairly epic on every level. And that's possible because the tools are done well and given to the player who can be equal to them. I wish that happened more, but people should jump on this title if that sort of thing appeals to them.

Llyranor

I don't have this game yet (backlog), but I've played the previous 2 in the series (Soldiers and Faces of War) and they are absolutely fabulous co-op experiences.

Very cool balance of squad tactics and rambo-ish action, very cool controls. You can play it as a RTS, or you can directly control individual soldiers (including inventory management) or tanks and blow crap up (given co-op, you can split tasks up between players).

The first game in the series already had awesome physics/destructible environments/cover system a good while before CoH came out.

Some of my favorite PC co-op games by far.

(Soldiers is on GOG for 6 bucks, Faces of War is on Direct2Drive for 10 bucks)

eznark

Banned
I played a bit of the demo but it seemed like it would take a bit to get into it so I set it aside. I do plan on buying it soon though. The positive impressions make it likely that "soon" will be this weekend.

Llyranor

For those of you who can play this co-op, try it! It's so much more enjoyable in co-op.
ghst said:
in many ways, this game is worlds ahead of just about any other rts/rtt on the market by providing a truly analog experience. something closer to resembling a sandbox emulation of 1940's battlefields than the distinctly calculation/modifier/x>y>z>x nature of even the deeper rts .
The series actually hasn't evolved that much in terms of physics. That just shows how much ahead of its time Soldiers was (released in 2004).

ghst

thanks for the laugh
okay, so this is on steam now. i'm holding true to my word and have already bought it. extended impressions later.

you should all do the same.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
This is one of those voices so bad I laugh aloud games.

I'm hoping to play some co-op this weekend with a friend who is a much stronger strategy player than me, and I hope that to be even more fun.

This game is a great playground though, and I still urge everyone to try it now that it's on everyone's fave DD service.

Cat in the Hat said:
Why does 1C insist on hiring the worse fucking voices in all the land, ugh.

I'm enjoying the game so far though.
It's 505, not 1C. Very unfortunate 1C would team up with 505. Hopefully this last batch of games will be the last they ever work together. Hope so.

Tomorrow War has got some glaring idiocy/mistakes; all the in-flight radio talk is missing, a bunch of dialogues are not translated, some sky textures for the planets are missing (pretty obvious as you're descending/ascending), some game bugs also available in the russian release (didn't really expect these to be addressed). Game is still awesome and worth buying though, and it works to copy over the russian version files for the stuff that's missing. Radio talk in russian is better than nothing as it prompts stuff that doesn't come up on screen as text a lot of the time.

Joseph Merrick said:
It's 505, not 1C. Very unfortunate 1C would team up with 505. Hopefully this last batch of games will be the last they ever work together. Hope so.

Tomorrow War has got some glaring idiocy/mistakes; all the in-flight radio talk is missing, a bunch of dialogues are not translated, some sky textures for the planets are missing (pretty obvious as you're descending/ascending), some game bugs also available in the russian release (didn't really expect these to be addressed). Game is still awesome and worth buying though, and it works to copy over the russian version files for the stuff that's missing. Radio talk in russian is better than nothing as it prompts stuff that doesn't come up on screen as text a lot of the time.
505 did necrovision as well right, i would boot it up and look but i'm mad at the game atm.
Necrovision has the worse voiced main character ever, I cringe when he says any of his many dumb ass one liners.

Anywho I agree with you though the game is good fun.

Cat in the Hat said:
505 did necrovision as well right, i would boot it up and look but i'm mad at the game atm.
Necrovision has the worse voiced main character ever, I cringe when he says any of his many dumb ass one liners.

Anywho I agree with you though the game is good fun.
hehe actually I love the voiceover in necrovision. it fits perfectly with the idiotic story. shitty voiceover is sometimes appropriate. you're talking about the player character, right? :-DD he's too awful

edit: yeah, also 505.

Joseph Merrick said:
hehe actually I love the voiceover in necrovision. it fits perfectly with the idiotic story. shitty voiceover is sometimes appropriate. you're talking about the player character, right? :-DD he's too awful

edit: yeah, also 505.
Yeah the player character, maybe i should approach the game like I did the movie The Marine and take nothing serious and just have fun. :lol

VALIS

Llyranor said:
What kind of DRM does D2D have, anyway? Any limitations on number of downloads, etc?

Not sure about the DRM, it isn't listed on the games' pages, and no limitations on the number of downloads. I wouldn't buy from any store that does limit.

Wow, killer sale on D2D, this, Cryostasis, and 1701 are all $15. I wish I had more money, but I suppose just MoW should hold me over more than well enough for a while. :D

Vaporak

Thanks to this bump I just checked steam, and what do you know Men of War and Cryostasis both just got released on steam. :D

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
It says this game does not support Vista X64.

Like, does that mean it won't run at all on my OS or it's just not officially supported?

Dammit, this game is right up my alley and now it looks like I'll have to install Vista X32 somehow. ArmA almost made me do it. Now this.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
chespace said:
It says this game does not support Vista X64.

Like, does that mean it won't run at all on my OS or it's just not officially supported?

Dammit, this game is right up my alley and now it looks like I'll have to install Vista X32 somehow. ArmA almost made me do it. Now this.

I'm running it on Vista 64.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Blame! said:
hmmm i might have to bite too....

im a bit new to the whole digital dist. scene but whats the diff. between D2D and steam??

You just want to make sure that there are no restrictions on the number of downloads, or major drm.

The main bonus of Steam is the surrounding system that takes care of updates automatically, a Xbox Live like service of friends lists and tracking of your achievements and time played.

Yeah, also running it on x64 Vista.

Musashi Wins! said:
The main bonus of Steam is the surrounding system that takes care of updates automatically
A bonus in the sense that you have to wait a while for the steam patch. Hehe.

As a kid tinkering around with HO scale soldiers, this game depicts on screen, for the most part, what I was imagining in my head.

If I'd had this when I was five or six, I think I would have been a much less imaginative person at the time, and at this point.

Soldiers was a great game, this is even better. And agreed, hooorrrrible voice acting, hilariously horrible.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
HiFiVictor said:
As a kid tinkering around with HO scale soldiers, this game depicts on screen, for the most part, what I was imagining in my head.

Exactly. That sums up the way it makes me feel far better.

LovingSteam said:
I am trying to decide between this and Cryostasis. They both look great :(
Get both. I am serious :(

But if it's really between this and Cryostasis.. get this. Men of War is the GAME OF THE YEAR. Also, did you get King's Bounty The Legend yet?

Joseph Merrick said:
Get both. I am serious :(

But if it's really between this and Cryostasis.. get this. Men of War is the GAME OF THE YEAR. Also, did you get King's Bounty The Legend yet?

Yup, picked up Kings Bounty :) The three games coming that I am psyched for are Oblivion, Morrowind, SF4 (give me my pre purchase already, Valve!).

oblivion/morrowind? what about killing floor, call of juarez bound in blood, hearts of iron 3, tropico 3, red faction guerrilla, global agenda?

Top Bottom