• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Jedi Knight Enhanced (PC / Steam)

With the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight saga (5 games) available on Steam for a paltry £14.99 / $19.99, and Jedi Knight in particular being only £3.49 / $4.99 -- I decided to do some classic Star Wars gaming tonight...

JediKnight-cover.jpg

Slight disappointments with the Steam version of Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight: the Jedi Knight menus and FMVs play in Windowed mode by default (it seems to glitch without it) - but hopefully someone fixes that at some point... also the game doesn't have the excellent CD / Red Book Audio soundtrack when you download it via digital distribution. You'll need to burn an image of the music and have it in your CD drive when you play if you want that music back!... (Disc One's music is here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H7F02YJX)... the games after Mysteries of the Sith don't suffer from these problems.

Enhancements:
I found you can update the models and textures for the first JK to a more acceptable standard -- its called Jedi Knight enhanced. And this particular version has been around since January 2007, so I'm quite late to the party...

Here's how to use it...
(If you didn't download the game via Steam and are using the old disc, just follow the instructions below substituting the Steam Jedi Knight directory with the regular Jedi Knight directory. Use the Launch Options in the third image below as parameters for JK.exe)

• Get JKVersions.exe and run it in administrator mode. This will download and patch the official LucasArts JK.exe.
  • Rename the unofficial patched executable to JK.exe and copy both JK.exe and jk-extension.dll to your Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Star Wars Jedi Knight folder.
  • Download JK Enhanced. Copy the JKE batch file and the JKE folder to the Jedi Knight directory.
  • Download JK Retexture and copy the JKR.gob file into the JKE directory.

To run with enhanced models etc, you can either run the JKE Batch file or alter the parameters of the game in Steam. To do this:

• Right click the game and choose Properties
    TJRIU.jpg
  • Click Set Launch Options
    Nf1lD.jpg
  • Enter the following:
    9hfJh.jpg

If you already have a save-game started it won't work with this Mod until you start the next level. So either start a new game from scratch, or skip the level you're on by pulling up the console and typing 'thereisnotry'.

Some before and afters:

OMbwT.jpg

vvli0.jpg

ah74I.jpg

xaLPz.jpg

yQoQi.jpg

kUJ4r.jpg

LHRDc.jpg

I figured there were bound to be some gamers on here who played this back in the day... there are probably a few of you still playing it. Anyway, just found it quite cool and an excuse to play an old classic once again!

teepo

ahhh... before halflife, this was considered one of the greatest fps series.

great memories with this title.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have only played bits and pieces of JK1 as it never grabbed me the way that JK2 did, but that model update does appear to consist of models ripped from JK2 lol (where applicable).

careksims

Ah yes. The same! Those were very magical times when Star Wars wasn't tainted by the prequels and we were moving forward after the Original Trilogy. I miss the Lucasarts of old :(

Medalion

Banned
careksims said:
Ah yes. The same! Those were very magical times when Star Wars wasn't tainted by the prequels and we were moving forward after the Original Trilogy. I miss the Lucasarts of old :(
Back then those bad jedi were called Dark Jedi and not Sith just yet

Stallion Free said:
I have only played bits and pieces of JK1 as it never grabbed me the way that JK2 did, but that model update does appear to consist of models ripped from JK2 lol (where applicable).

I loved JK2 as well, but I wish it had cheesy awesome FMVs like the first game:

BamFC.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shame about the weird framerate. The weapon model moves at 60 fps, but everything else is sampled at 30 fps. FRAPS, of course, reports 60, but the game looks like 30 and there is no way to change it. :(

androvsky

Well, the sloped tile floor of the house is now a black and yellow striped loading ramp. :/

Personally, I'd live with the original textures and models if the FMVs worked properly. Not only do they play in a tiny window, but as I recall they lose a/v sync rather quickly. Hmmm, I should try it on wine in linux sometime.

On a side note, I have the worst luck with DD of old games; my first Steam purchase was Jedi Knight, and my first GoG purchase was Interstate '76. :(

deleted

To those of you not in possession of an cd/DVD/BR drive anymore:

You have to install demon tools or something similar to get Mysteries of the Sith working. The game doesn't work if it doesn't detect a drive with anything (anything will do, doesn't have to be MotS) in it.
Took me a while to find out what was wrong ;)

I'm playing through Jedi Knight on my netbbok right now when there's nothing to do at the university. Works quite well, even without a mouse.

Kuran

Banned
I kind of prefer the look of the old version, has a nice 'graphic' effect.

Never got to play it because I always had a Mac.. perhaps now I should dig in?

(Mac did get Dark Forces, and Jedi Knight 2)

Zomba13

What a timely topic. I've been replaying DF2/JK1. Not using the enhanced stuff though, playing the steam version in windowed mode. I honestly prefer some of those before shots to the after ones. I mean the old man is such an iconic NPC to me I don't want to see him changed.
DF2/JK1 is still my favourite FPS I think, or at least tied with Half-Life 1 and Kyle Katarn is still my favourite Jedi.

I'm on the
falling ship level.
I can't find the switch to lower the ship. Forgot where it is. I've found the thruster controls though. Once I'm done with this I'll be going through Mysteries of the Sith. I reeeeeeeeeally wish we got a new Jedi Knight game. I was so excited when I read about the game that became the force unleashed. It sounded so cool if we got a Jedi Knight game with awesome physics and stuff.

peakish

xyla said:
To those of you not in possession of an cd/DVD/BR drive anymore:

You have to install demon tools or something similar to get Mysteries of the Sith working. The game doesn't work if it doesn't detect a drive with anything (anything will do, doesn't have to be MotS) in it.
Took me a while to find out what was wrong ;)

I'm playing through Jedi Knight on my netbbok right now when there's nothing to do at the university. Works quite well, even without a mouse.
What the hell? I swear, Lucasarts did the shittiest job ever putting these games on Steam without fixing anything.

They deserve way better.

Ledsen said:
What the Christ? No music? Are you serious? And they're charging for this?

Yeah it's not the best, but this IS a game from 1997... its appeal is probably limited to nostalgic enthusiasts like myself.

And from what I've read - and I don't know how true this is - LucasArts don't have the source for Jedi Knight anymore. The game is written to expect the audio on CD, so you either burn the appropriate music to CD (I've got a CD image in the OP - 2nd paragraph) or you mount one with a tool like Daemon Tools Lite.

Even without music, it's still a great game!

Jedi Knight was such an amazing game back in the day. I loved the huge levels that made you feel like you were actually in the Star Wars universe. The multiplayer was also fun for its time. So many fun battles in Canyon Oasis.

Thanks man, bookmarked this thread for later. I was a huge fan of Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, picked up the Jedi Knight pack in the last Steam sale but haven't managed to delve through the older games yet. I want to play through the series in chronological order and these tweaks will help. :)

Sanic

Sorry for the bump, but i'm thinking about purchasing the pack on Steam. How do Outcast and Academy hold up?

Timber

LiK said:
it's hard going back to these games. they look sooo....
BALLIN???

The sound effects of this game are permanently engraved into my mind. The death grunts... ULEEUGH. It goes like that. oolaayuoooh...

Zomba13

Pandoracell said:
Sorry for the bump, but i'm thinking about purchasing the pack on Steam. How do Outcast and Academy hold up?
They still have the best saber combat of any SW game imo. Dunno how the online is now (if there are any servers up anymore) but the multiplayer saber duels were the best thing ever.
I imaging they still hold up pretty well, the levels are still more open to exploration than most first/third person shooters these days.

Zomba13 said:
They still have the best saber combat of any SW game imo. Dunno how the online is now (if there are any servers up anymore) but the multiplayer saber duels were the best thing ever.
I imaging they still hold up pretty well, the levels are still more open to exploration than most first/third person shooters these days.

You can still host your own servers. Used to play custom maps/mods with the guys over at TF.N's Games forum all the time.

Would be pretty fun to play Outcast with GAF.

Pandoracell said:

I just played through Outcast and a majority of Academy several months back. The graphics and gameplay have barely aged at all. My only gripe with the games is that you'll get lost from time to time until you find that one vent your suppose to jump into to continue.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Zomba13 said:
They still have the best saber combat of any SW game imo.

This may actually be true, but only because no SW game has ever had anything close to good saber combat. JK/JO saber combat was a spastic mess, but it at least kind of worked once in a while. Sort of.

ultron87

Pandoracell said:

They're still awesome games.

The code: g_saberrealisticcombat 1 makes the game infinitely more awesome.

ultron87

Lime said:
What does it do?

Your lightsaber goes from occasionally cutting off the hands and limbs of Stormtroopers and other enemies to always cutting off whatever you hit, including heads and torsos.

ultron87 said:
They're still awesome games.

The code: g_saberrealisticcombat 1 makes the game infinitely more awesome.
Absolutely. It gives the lightsaber the ability to dismember. Its easy in the beginning, but when other
Dark Jedi
have lightsabers, it can get really difficult.

Sanic

Thanks for the responses everyone. Kinda want to wait until they go on sale, but they're so cheap as is that I may as well just go for it.

Lime

Pandoracell said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Kinda want to wait until they go on sale, but they're so cheap as is that I may as well just go for it.

Steam usually has an Easter sale, although I'm not sure the Star Wars pack will go on sale this time around.

Pandoracell said:

I say go for it. They are some of the best star wars games ever made. They put the Force Unleashed series to shame.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I say go for it. They are some of the best star wars games ever made. They put the Force Unleashed series to shame.

I seriously miss the old SW games. TIE Fighter is one of my favorites ever, the DK series, even Rebellion/Supremacy were amazingly fun.

Need to get around to trying out the XWA: TIE Fighter total conversion some time.

Erudite

Thanks for the bump, bought the Jedi Knight pack during the winter sale, and now I'm more tempted to fire it up with this mod.

GSR

Dark Forces II was my game growing up. Replayed it last year, was glad to see it working widescreen without any issues. Ought to finish replaying Mysteries of the Sith sometime.

Tain

Yeah, I'm fine with the old visuals.

Actually, it's kinda weird, but using the Jedi Outcast models just gives me bad memories of playing Jedi Outcast. Didn't like that game.

Top Bottom