• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Steam integration meaning buy at retail, download off steam anytime(like DoW2, Orange Box)? If so, I may just double dip into the PC version down the road if I ever see it on sale at retailers.

EDIT: as for making a new thread, I'm glad. I've been avoiding any and all information on the game so far aside from release date and the initial teaser that was just the voices, so key information like this is good to be out of the official thread. Last thing I want is screenshots and info on the multiplayer.

EDIT 2: Just checked the link rather than read the title of the thread, no word on what steam integration really is. Hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

Ogs

ATM hes only said "Steam Support", not that it will use Steam for everyone. Its possible Steam might add a few achievements etc, similar to UT3. Who knows though, IW need to let out some info on this PC version soon to calm the storm :)

DMeisterJ

Banned
BobsRevenge said:

m81rpt.jpg

dLMN8R

Seriously, what the fuck? Make your own thread for this shit....I didn't say anything about Steam integration or dedicated servers in my post, and neither one of them is true as far as I know.

Actual thread title: "Modern Warfare 2 - *NOT* delayed on PC, Prestige support, more Steam support"

This was the post:

Enosh said:
402 live right now at http://www.bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=76

no
dedicated servers for PC confirmed so far
but there will be private games with custom rules where you can aperantly change a lot of stuff, like no air strikes etc, it will also alow for clan matches, you will be able to ban anyone you want etc

dLMN8R said:
Seriously, what the fuck? Make your own thread for this shit....I didn't say anything about Steam integration or dedicated servers in my post, and neither one of them is true as far as I know.

Actual thread title: "Modern Warfare 2 - *NOT* delayed on PC, Prestige support, more Steam support"

GAF moves fast son. Get with it.
dLMN8R
Banned
(Today, 01:37 PM)
Reply | Quote

That's life in the GAF lane

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Why wouldn't they have dedicated servers? What's the point in taking them out?

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
No dedicated servers would be a disaster for a PC game, that's half the reason I play FPSes.

BobsRevenge said:
Why wouldn't they have dedicated servers? What's the point in taking them out?

half assed never works lag infested shitty ass matchmaking service that is like the fucking stealth mission / lens flare web 2.0 buzz words marketing crap, thats carrying over from consoles to pcs. CANT WAIT TO HAVE LAGGGY ASS 16 PLAYER MATCHES!

people like to play in "communities" on online pc games, a good server you get to know regulars, its a step below clan play but its still a nice "hang out" sort of place, all matchmaking does is make this impossible, and introduce lag.

*cough*

ZombieSupaStar said:
people like to play in "communities" on online pc games, a good server you get to know regulars, its a step below clan play but its still a nice "hang out" sort of place

Yeah, that's the great thing about dedicated servers. Gah, I really hope IW changes their minds.

And does no dedi's also mean no custom mods/maps etc?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
With so many good online FPS on PC I'm not sure why people seem to care about MW2 anyway. This is just another reason to play something else.

Ysiadmihi said:
With so many good online FPS on PC I'm not sure why people seem to care about MW2 anyway. This is just another reason to play something else.

im sick of tf2?

arma 2 plays like a bag of ass (imo)

Ysiadmihi said:

Last I checked the most popular online FPS on PC were CSS, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 2 and COD4.

All of those are pretty old now. Understandable why people want something new.

BobsRevenge said:
Sweet. I'll tell my friends to get it there if they think they want to buy it on PC. I'm not personally a big fan of the series, but if I was I'd do it. Hopefully Activision notices that PC gamers don't want to be overcharged for their games.

Unlike console gamers, who love being overcharged for their games. :lol

Curufinwe

No chance I'm buying a PC shooter without dedicated servers. Especially not when I hd so much fun playing CoD 4 in 32 player matches.

Just one more reason I will only buy used copies of Activision console games now. Fuck 'em.

BobsRevenge

ZombieSupaStar said:
half assed never works lag infested shitty ass matchmaking service that is like the fucking stealth mission / lens flare web 2.0 buzz words marketing crap, thats carrying over from consoles to pcs. CANT WAIT TO HAVE LAGGGY ASS 16 PLAYER MATCHES!

people like to play in "communities" on online pc games, a good server you get to know regulars, its a step below clan play but its still a nice "hang out" sort of place, all matchmaking does is make this impossible, and introduce lag.
That's the thing, isn't it? That's the culture of online PC gaming, and people expect it. Its a really dumb decision not to include it imo. They've already got the code needed for it from their past games.

So first it's a shitty game, then it's a shitty game that's overpriced and now it's shitty overpriced game with castrated multiplayer... Oh hell yes Actard, I'm lining up to buy three copies.

BobsRevenge said:
That's the thing, isn't it? That's the culture of online PC gaming, and people expect it. Its a really dumb decision not to include it imo. They've already got the code needed for it from their past games.

yeah, cept now instead of servers with the bandwidth available for huge ass matches with no lag, we will have the 16 player listen server, stop motion 56k shit fits that I get on "teh awesome" console "online gaming" (assuming they dont even allow for 32 players now).

im sick of console gaming retarding down the pc experience but there comes a point where it just gets stupid. I own all the systems this gen (like last gen, and the previous gen) but after waking up to pc gaming with diablo, fallout, and then true multiplayer awesome ness with ut99 and bf1942, the consoles to me are still 10 years behind in the online gaming area, I don't want to go back. Thanks Kodick!

MickeyKnox said:
So first it's a shitty game, then it's a shitty game that's overpriced and now it's shitty overpriced game with castrated multiplayer... Oh hell yes Actard, I'm lining up to buy three copies.

If its such a shitty game, why do you come into the thread? I don't go into threads of games I'm not interested in and talk about how shitty they are.

Oh, but maybe that's because I'm not a douchebag. Yeah, probably.

BobsRevenge

Vercingetorix said:
Unlike console gamers, who love being overcharged for their games. :lol
No, console games have additional licensing costs or something. Not sure if that's enough to justify another $10, but that's the justification I hear and I assume its correct.

I personally think that $60 is pretty crazy though and I don't really buy console games anymore because of it. Felt really burned on both Killzone 2 and Soul Calibur 4 (the last two I bought). Both are really good games, but $60 still made it feel like I got jipped.

Vercingetorix said:
If its such a shitty game, why do you come into the thread? I don't go into threads of games I'm not interested in and talk about how shitty they are.

Oh, but maybe that's because I'm not a douchebag. Yeah, probably.
Because despite the factual statement that the single player portion is complete and total shit, the multiplayer component may have made me consider picking it up (when it hits bargain bins)

BobsRevenge said:
No, console games have additional licensing costs or something. Not sure if that's enough to justify another $10, but that's the justification I hear and I assume its correct.

I personally think that $60 is pretty crazy though and I don't really buy console games anymore because of it. Felt really burned on both Killzone 2 and Soul Calibur 4 (the last two I bought). Both are really good games, but $60 still made it feel like I got jipped.

nah its because making HD games costed money this gen, how they were managing to do it for years on pc without charging 60 musta been some black magic shit, I guess.

MickeyKnox said:
Because despite the factual statement that the single player portion is complete and total shit, the multiplayer component may have made me consider picking it up (when it hits bargain bins)

:lol Of course your opinion is not only universal, but its also scientifically verified fact. Thanks for letting us know that the singleplayer sucks.

I have to give you credit for being such a blatant troll, though. Most try to hide it in some way. Takes balls to put your cards right on the table like that.

Curufinwe said:
I think that's for the rest of us to judge.

I like you too!

haitu

Banned
no dedicated servers means no full buy for me. I'll just split the game with my group of friends and play the single player.

MickeyKnox said:

:lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Vercingetorix said:
Last I checked the most popular online FPS on PC were CSS, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 2 and COD4.

All of those are pretty old now. Understandable why people want something new.
Considering there are plenty of people still playing CS 1.6 and even stuff like CoD2 online I don't think people are really desperate for something new, and if the game really doesn't have dedicated servers then I'd expect a large section of the CoD4 crowd to just stick with that game.

Of course I'm sure all Activision cares about is that you buy the game, not that you actually play it.

Vercingetorix said:
:lol Of course your opinion not only universal, but its also scientifically verified fact. Thanks for letting us know that the singleplayer sucks.

I have to give you credit for being such a blatant troll, though. Most try to hide it in some way. Takes balls to put your cards right on the table like that.

I like you too!

i like the cod single player its very atmospheric but I dislike the whole "spawn over and over and over until you cross this checkpoint", it kinda forces you to rambo.

I liked the halo style better (which to my knowledge did not do this, i think).

MrDaravon

MickeyKnox said:

:lol :lol

I think teacher wants to see you after class.

ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah, cept now instead of servers with the bandwidth available for huge ass matches with no lag, we will have the 16 player listen server, stop motion 56k shit fits that I get on "teh awesome" console "online gaming" (assuming they dont even allow for 32 players now).
that's what I liked, huge firefights, this news is making me feel sick :(

Vercingetorix said:
:lol Of course your opinion is not only universal, but its also scientifically verified fact. Thanks for letting us know that the singleplayer sucks.

I like you too!
Cannon_Balls.jpg

And a Disneyland Small World style ride with a gun does not a good first person shooter make.

Top Bottom