• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Doesn't even look real.

lMRro.jpg

Mik2121

En, second earthquake is being felt right now over Tokyo. Damn. I'm in Osaka, i guess i will feel in in just seconds.

Miroku

did you guys see the cars driving under that bridge before the massive wave came? I gotta believe they got swallowed up by that

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Dude, not a time to be joking. Kobe earthquake was 6.8 and 6000 people lost their lives in that one

this and the christchurch earthquake really prove that the richter scale is a really poor measure of how bad this is, unless it's combined with proximity/depth data.

Mik2121

Trevelyon said:
Shot a e-mail to my aunt in Osaki. Really hope to hear from her soon.
I'm in Osaka, and the earthquake was felt here too, but apparently not s strong. You shouldn't worry.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The two on CNN sure talk like no one died. I don't think they realize how serious this is yet.

Anyway stay safe! Gotta go to bed.

Shouta

zoku88 said:
How much warning did people have? Any at all?

I guess its hard to warn against earthquakes, isn't it?

I had about 3-4 minutes before the first big shaking hit my area.

cvxfreak

Mik2121 said:
I'm in Osaka, and the earthquake was felt here too, but apparently not s strong. You shouldn't worry.

Osaki is on the Yamanote Line in Tokyo.

Osaka is in Kansai.

Inspectors have stopped by my office to check for leaked gas, fires, etc.

catfish said:
this and the christchurch earthquake really prove that the richter scale is a really poor measure of how bad this is, unless it's combined with proximity/depth data.

While the earthquake itself can be protected against and has been protected against in Japan, an ensuing tsunami will be sure to cause huge amounts of damage.

Mik2121

cvxfreak said:
Osaki is on the Yamanote Line in Tokyo.

Osaka is in Kansai.
My bad, didn't know about this Osaki place and I thought he misspelled it :p
But if it's in Tokyo, I guess they felt it a bit stronger. Hopefully it's alright over there.

^ Fuck. Stay safe Pacific-GAF. :(

So the tsunami before was only 1 meter tall? Holy fuck if a 10 meter tall one shows up.
UFRA said:
There is a 10 meter tsunami in addition to what already hit, or is it over?
It's just a warning at the moment.

Duki

Banned
catfish said:
that's because that's not what the richter scale is for

at all

its not an assessment of damage caused

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Earthquakes suck enough on their own, but a Tsunami too :(

Damn, stay safe everyone.

Socreges

Banned
waynej506 said:
Do you guys think this is going to be as bad as the 2004 tsunami? I hope not.
As high? We'll have to wait for reports, but I'd doubt it. As many deaths? Difficult to imagine any catastrophe reaching that scale.

Ether_Snake said:
The two on CNN sure talk like no one died. I don't think they realize how serious this is yet.

Anyway stay safe! Gotta go to bed.
The anchor is hilariously bad about it. "good thing Japan is built to withstand this!"

Uh...

catfish said:
it's not supposed to be a measure of how bad things are going to be, it's a measure of energy. how bad things are going to be is a function of too many variables to really measure with a rating scale.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Duki said:
that's because that's not what the richter scale is for

at all

its not an assessment of damage caused
no I understand that, it's just that 'AN 8.8 EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN' headline means much less if it's 60km underground and 60km off the coast' than if it happens in the middle of the city 1km deep.

Not saying this isn't bad of course. Those tsunami pictures look terrible.

The quake struck at a depth of six miles (10 kilometers), about 80 miles (125 kilometers) off the eastern coast, the agency said. The area is 240 miles (380 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=13110884

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom