• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0908-1017 - Beep beep, Reese. I- I- I- I- It floats. Oh , yes. It floats.

To me the most shocking aspect is that IT was made on a 35mil budget. I am shocked by that. I'm sure the marketing budget had to be at least another 30mil because they really promoted the he'll out of this movie.

If you're an extradimensional evil entity I would avoid the kid from Stranger Things & IT, it seems he has a knack for this sort of thing

DMczaf

Incredible numbers for IT! A big 'fuck you' to those who want theaters and the movie-going experience to die. Planning on seeing the movie sometime in the upcoming weeks.

Also, Dunkirk is now at $492M, definitely locked to pass that $500M mark now. A great achievement by Nolan, who will become the first director with 5 >$500M flicks in a row.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-no-green-screen-1202553547/

Toronto Film Festival artistic director Cameron Bailey asked Nolan if he was worried that the intersecting time frames would be too confusing.

”Well, it's like f— it," Nolan said.

It is almighty. Wow it's a monster, and did even better then I ever expecting. Congrats to the filmmakers to their success.

The soundtrack in IT is amazing. Gonna need the score.

I wouldn't call it amazing, but it does have some great melodic parts to it, which is rare for a horror score these days. A lot of it does rely on standard modern horror scoring, which is a bit disappointing I'll admit. Still it's good. If Wallfisch could get away from Zimmer's influence, he could great.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Incredible numbers for IT! A big 'fuck you' to those who want theaters and the movie-going experience to die. Planning on seeing the movie sometime in the upcoming weeks.

Also, Dunkirk is now at $492M, definitely locked to pass that $500M mark now. A great achievement by Nolan, who will become the first director with 5 >$500M flicks in a row.

I can't wait until the Prince Charles Cinema in London does a marathon of both versions of It back to back.

Worldwide Updates:

Despicable Me 3 - $1.006B
Spider-Man Homecoming - $823M ($71M opening in China)
Wonder Woman - $816M
Dunkirk - $492M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $370M
Cars 3 - $350M
Annabelle Creation - $280M
Baby Driver - $214M (now > the rest of Edgar Wright's films combined worldwide)
IT - $179M
The Emoji Movie - $171M
The Dark Tower - $107M
Atomic Blonde - $94M

I have lost all faith in humanity.

SM passing 750MM WW means that Disney has to pay a lower fee to Sony for the movie.

CassSept

GEOSTORM UPDATE...,

I went to see Logan Lucky during the weekend (which I enjoyed immensely) and the trailer for Geostorm played before the film.

However, curiously, the film's trailer didn't have idents for either Warners or Skydance during the trailer. Almost as if the studio and everyone involved, where possible, want to distance themselves from this film.

Hmmmm.

I just don't get that trailer. It's about 50% going for serious over-the-top disaster film, 50% early '00s disaster film pastiche. It looks like it attempts to be a joke, but doesn't commit to it fully and just feels tonally inconsistent.

I mean, the movie is going to be garbage anyway, why try to garbage it up even more with dreadful attempts at 'humor' and levity.

Toa TAK

Banned
I wouldn't call it amazing, but it does have some great melodic parts to it, which is rare for a horror score these days. A lot of it does rely on standard modern horror scoring, which is a bit disappointing I'll admit. Still it's good. If Wallfisch could get away from Zimmer's influence, he could great.
I'll echo this. Works well enough in the film, but when isolated it isn't exactly the greatest listening experience despite some good work sprinkled across. The entire opening of the film, I think, is boosted by the music and I don't think it ever really ends up being used to such effect again.

Cvie

I just don't get that trailer. It's about 50% going for serious over-the-top disaster film, 50% early '00s disaster film pastiche. It looks like it attempts to be a joke, but doesn't commit to it fully and just feels tonally inconsistent.

I mean, the movie is going to be garbage anyway, why try to garbage it up even more with dreadful attempts at 'humor' and levity.

It looks like someone took the script for a disaster parody film but didn't get it and tried to make it straight.

Why would Disney be paying a fee to Sony on a Sony funded and distributed film?

Because of the 2011 deal when they bought the remaining 25% merchandise rights from Sony. Part of the deal was 175MM payment upfront from Disney and up to 35MM backpay for each movie. That is in the email leaks, you can also see that they pay when you look at Disney's financials.

Under the licensing arrangement for Spider-Man, the Company pays the third-party studio a licensing fee based on each film's box office receipts, subject to specified limits.

The limit was 35MM per movie, but now it's lower if the movie's WW gross is over 750MM.

The only tweak to the prior arrangement was that in exchange for its producing services, Marvel gets to reduce the $35 million it would owe on ”Homecoming" if the movie grosses more than $750 million, said people with knowledge of the arrangement.

CassSept

Dismal release schedule probably helped too, I'm not sure if I would've gone seen It, but when there hadn't been anything even remotely interesting released in chains since I don't know, Valerian?, I really didn't think much whether to see It or not.

Toa TAK

Banned
Where did all this interest in It come from?
From everyone who grew up with the book, or miniseries, or both.

Hell, I wasn't even around when either were released but it still managed to be a topic of fear, or intrigue, or both about when I was hitting middle school in 2006 (when I was 12, so at the age where most of us were able to have the patience to read the book and have some gall to watch the miniseries).

So, like the titular character, it's been spookin' a couple generations at least.

DMczaf

I knew Nolan was completely unprofessional on all fronts

dunkirk.jpg

I can't find the gif of Nolan sliding around and playing on the Batman Begins set.

It's a wonder how his movies come in on time and under budget with all the goofing around he does.

I can't find the gif of Nolan sliding around and playing on the Batman Begins set.

It's a wonder how his movies come in on time and under budget with all the goofing around he does.

My brother has worked on a few Nolan films, and while Nolan is very in control of his sets, he is also pretty damn goofy a lot of the time. And apparently Hardy is a bigger goofball.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a weird movie question and I'm not sure of the appropriate thread to ask it.

For quite a while Rotten Tomatoes has had a movie on their front page with high early reviews (8/9 positive?). It was limited release and looked kind of interesting to me. Here's what I remember:

* Scifi / horror movie
* Poster had a woman on it
* Movie is about scientist who, thanks to a teleporter / transporter accident, can no longer form new memories
* I thought it was releasing in the next month or so?

It's now vanished. I've tried looking through various release lists and googling but I can't find anything. If anyone happens to know the name I'd appreciate it.

That 37.8% drop from IT is extraordinary considering football and the hurricane impact, and especially considering that horror films often have the worst declines on Sunday. It's more indication (as if we needed it) that this is not playing like a traditional horror film.

Looking at the biggest weekends of all time, the only films to open above $120M and miss $300M total were Harry Potter 7 and the Twilight sequels. After them, the lowest gross is Iron Man 2's $312M, so I think IT hitting that figure is looking very good. I'm standing by my assessment that a 3.0 multiplier is coming, which puts IT right at the same total as Passion of the Christ, the highest grossing R-rated film domestically.

BumRush

I have a weird movie question and I'm not sure of the appropriate thread to ask it.

For quite a while Rotten Tomatoes has had a movie on their front page with high early reviews (8/9 positive?). It was limited release and looked kind of interesting to me. Here's what I remember:

* Scifi / horror movie
* Poster had a woman on it
* Movie is about scientist who, thanks to a teleporter / transporter accident, can no longer form new memories
* I thought it was releasing in the next month or so?

It's now vanished. I've tried looking through various release lists and googling but I can't find anything. If anyone happens to know the name I'd appreciate it.

Hmmm are you thinking about the next cloverfield movie? (God Particle)

Tom Hardy is so goddamn glad he's part of the Nolan inner circle of actors.

Honestly as a consumer I'm glad he is as well. Im a big fan of Hardy and Nolan really knows how to utilize him. He barely talks at all during Dunkirk and yet just through his eyes he tells a lot of emotion and Nolan is great at pulling excellent performances out of his actors

gamz

Really, really good marketing for a really good movie.

I get that, but I didn't expect anywhere near this big. Pretty crazy.

Then again Split and Get Out broke out big this year, so perhaps that set the tone this year. Don't know?

Growing up it seemed like almost everyone at least knew of It/Pennywise one way or another. So the underlying interest has always been there, someone just needed to make a good movie about it. I thought this was made obvious when the first trailer spread like wildfire.

Pharaun

Looking at the upcoming releases It should clean up next weekend too. The following weekend will see more competition with Kingsmen and Lego Ninjago.

I'm personally very excited for Kingsmen, I loved the first one, so I'll definitely be seeing that. I hope it does really well.

I don't know what to think about Ninjago, my son is right in the target age for it but he doesn't care about it and neither do any of his friends.

Top Bottom