• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Split - OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREMSteve

Spoilers obviously!

Holy shit, that ending!

I haven't been this gobsmacked at a movie since the ending of the original SAW.

Simply brilliant.

Sigma722

the ending being
bruce
showing up and then establishing a
Shyamalan cinematic universe
?

Or is there something else?

I thought the movie was pretty meh personally.

Cartman86

Banned
I am constantly impressed by how well
people are still keeping the secret. I had to hold my tongue so bad when my friends were discussing deciding to not go see it since they haven't liked a M Night movie in years. Unbreakable is there favorite one too. I told em it was good, but maybe wait for home video as I could see I shouldn't push too hard or hint in any way. So far they seem to have not been spoiled.

CREMSteve

people are still keeping the secret. I had to hold my tongue so bad when my friends were discussing deciding to not go see it since they haven't liked a M Night movie in years. Unbreakable is there favorite one too. I told em it was good, but maybe wait for home video (to downplay it). So far they seem to have not been spoiled.
I literally jumped off my couch and cheered. Seriously. My wife was like wtf, lol.

people are still keeping the secret. I had to hold my tongue so bad when my friends were discussing deciding to not go see it since they haven't liked a M Night movie in years. Unbreakable is there favorite one too. I told em it was good, but maybe wait for home video as I could see I shouldn't push too hard or hint in any way. So far they seem to have not been spoiled.

As one of the first people to see the film outside of the production team, I knew it was important to not let it out, no matter how many crybabies begged for it and offered bogus rationales for wanting it. That feeling of discovery was not to be squandered for e-cred.

CREMSteve

As one of the first people to see the film outside of the production team, I knew it was to important not let it out, no matter how many crybabies begged for it and offered bogus rationales for wanting it. That feeling of discovery was not to be squandered for e-cred.
Agreed. The fact I was able to experience it without any hint of what was to come made it something I will never forget.

valeo

I thought that the ending was the most hamfisted thing I have seen in a long time, personally. The movie was OK, though - lots of good suspense though I'm not sure if it always delivered. I watched with a group of people recently, and even those who watched Unbreakable just had a bit 'huh? Ok then' response.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
One of the hardest movies to sell people on without spoiling it. Especially coming from a director a lot of people inherently distrust now.

Fun ass movie. McAvoy's performance made it really entertaining to watch and Anya Taylor Joy has been doing pretty great work in horror so far.

That ending was amazing too. I have not been that genuinely shocked at a twist in so long. The music followed by the scenes right after really made me grin.
I'm still really impressed that it was hidden for so long. a secret sequel to a movie, that you don't know exists until the end credits

Fun ass movie. McAvoy's performance made it really entertaining to watch and Anya Taylor Joy has been doing pretty great work in horror so far.

That ending was amazing too. I have not been that genuinely shocked at a twist in so long. The music followed by the scenes right after really made me grin.
I'm still really impressed that it was hidden for so long. a secret sequel to a movie, that you don't know exists until the end credits
While
I'm not as a big fan of Unbreakable, so the ending was just kind of "oh, ok", what made it work was how it recontextualized the entire movie. Suddenly it wasn't just some weird thriller with some odd supernatural aspect that didnt make much sense. Suddenly it was a super villain origin story and those things made perfect sense

While
I'm not as a big fan of Unbreakable, so the ending was just kind of "oh, ok", what made it work was how it recontextualized the entire movie. Suddenly it wasn't just some weird thriller with some odd supernatural aspect that didnt make much sense. Suddenly it was a super villain origin story and those things made perfect sense

it works in that way too for sure. which I really appreciated. although i don't think
the supernatural elements were out of place, they introduce it through the information the therapist learns fairly early into the movie as she's looking into the disorder

kamakazi5

I just finished it a few hours ago and having not seen Unbreakable I didn't really get the ending. I read up on it after but it still didn't do much for me.

The main actor did a great job though and outside of stupid movie clichés I thought it was pretty good.

Nasbin

I had the ending half-spoiled for me over in Gaming, but I still loved this movie. That fucking scene in the woods...

IMO tied with Signs for Shyamalan's best movie after Unbreakable

Chumley

Banned

Regarding the ending and music
I just thought he was using the Unbreakable theme as kind of an inside baseball call back, I never would have thought he'd make an actual sequel to the movie 15 years later, just seemed impossible. So when Bruce showed up I well and truly lost my shit.

I caught the movie over the weekend too and I'm so glad the ending wasn't ruined for me. I had no idea and audibly gasped and then got excited. Can't wait for Shyamalan's next movie, and that's something I never thought I'd say after his big line of stinkers.

The only downside I guess is that
the downer ending of Casey going back to her abusive uncle and the Beast going free is kind of nulled by the excitement of seeing Bruce in the diner.

Qasiel

Best part of this whole thing is the movie totally works without having any knowledge of
Unbreakable

What surprises me the most is the people reacting to
the Unbreakable tie-in. Split stood perfectly well on it's own without having to refer to a larger universe. It was a nice nod, sure, but I'm really surprised at peoples reaction.

Just watched it. So good. James Mcavoy was incredible. Such an amazing performance. The movie was excellent, and it worked well as a very effective thriller. I like how the movie starts off right at the beginning and there is hardly ever a dull moment. The movie has multiple plotlines going on at the same time and it's great how as they advance more and more of the story gets revealed.

And the ending was incredible. I had it half spoiled to me by some dumbass thread on here, but I still found it to be very incredible. Seeing
Bruce willis
at the end blew me the fuck away.

SpaceWolf

Banned
As a massive Unbreakable fan, it breaks my heart I never got to see this movie before the twist was spoiled for me.

wapplew

Got spoiled in twitter feed, pretty sad that's the only twist. Movie was ok, some bad performance from supporting casts.

gamz

Genius ending. I kept waiting for the twist and I got more then I ever expected. I still get chills thinking about it and how he had the balls to pull it off.

Can't wait for his next!

Mohonky

I dont get why people are so excited by that. The movie is great, that all anyone wants to talk about is the diner scene detracts from the fact the movie was brilliant in its own right.

Zabka

I had the ending half-spoiled for me over in Gaming, but I still loved this movie. That fucking scene in the woods...

IMO tied with Signs for Shyamalan's best movie after Unbreakable

This guy right? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336897&page=1

What a jerk.
Knew it had to be either Unbreakable or Sixth Sense related. It's funny because after seeing that I was let down that the actual ending scene was pretty weak. Reminded me of other hammy exposition scenes in Shyamalan movies.

I dont get why people are so excited by that. The movie is great, that all anyone wants to talk about is the diner scene detracts from the fact the movie was brilliant in its own right.

The movie is great on it's own, but once
he starts bending bars, running on walls,
and the vague supernatural talk
means that I'd have thought it was well made, but kind of dumb. The
twist and recontextualizing means that none of that stuff is dumb, because we're in a super hero universe, so it is internally consistent. It was amazing, because I actually said, "What is this, some kind of superhero thing? This is silly if it's not," and didn't even think it was possible it was related to Unbreakable.

gamz

The movie is great on it's own, but once
he starts bending bars, running on walls,
and the vague supernatural talk
means that I'd have thought it was well made, but kind of dumb. The
twist and recontextualizing means that none of that stuff is dumb, because we're in a super hero universe, so it is internally consistent. It was amazing, because I actually said, "What is this, some kind of superhero thing? This is silly if it's not," and didn't even think it was possible it was related to Unbreakable.

And even then I bought into it because of what came before it. Night is such a good storyteller when he's at the top of his game that I thought it made sense. Then the ending.

BTW:

M. Night Shyamalan‏
 @MNightShyamalan Apr 15

Writing climax of the new film. Had to step away. Heart pounding. Too scared and worried for the characters. Writing really is like acting.

LakeEarth

What a jerk.
Knew it had to be either Unbreakable or Sixth Sense related. It's funny because after seeing that I was let down that the actual ending scene was pretty weak. Reminded me of other hammy exposition scenes in Shyamalan movies.

Same thing happened to me. People were hyping the end of this movie, then days after it's released to theatres, that thread pops up. Didn't take too much effort to put two and two together.

Gaius

Banned
LOVED the movie, and not because of the ending but in spite of the ending. I was so into it i couldn't take my eyes off of it. Can't believe i didn't hear any news or hype about the movie and just accidentally was recommended by a friend. IMDB rating is totally wrong.

Bookoo

Thought it was pretty good. I really enjoyed The Visit, but I didn't find Split scary at all so that was a little disappointing.

Also I found it a little predictable and the ending didn't really have a great payoff. The additional twist at the end was neat, but I didn't really understand the implications until I read others thoughts on it. I just thought it was a little comedic cameo.

Not actually seen Split yet but looking forward to watching it.

I really need to watch
Unbreakable
again first. I was only 16 when I saw it and wasn't that impressed at the time, I thought it was a bit slow and boring but I'm sure I will appreciate it a lot more now I'm older and wiser.

It's kind of amazing. I had the fact that this was
a secret sequel
spoiled ahead of time (thank you internet headlines), but never guessed
that it was Unbreakable
. I think it's a testament to how well it stands on it's own because I stopped trying to guess or think about
what it was a sequel for
before the half way mark.
That last scene is shot and acted really corny though lol.

My only issue is how it treats a real mental disorder
as a superpower
. I think he should have at least tried to say that
this version that actually changes the physiology of the person was something more than DID and given it a new name (which the Doctor could have coined).

What's with the half-assed spoiler tagging on display in posts like Yautja Warrior's?

Just tagging one word doesn't really hide the twist. Some people aren't idiots and can infer a lot from the remaining bits. It's not like spoiler tagging a few more words, or even the whole post, would take any more effort.

Magwik

Banned
It's kind of amazing. I had the fact that this was
a secret sequel
spoiled ahead of time (thank you internet headlines), but never guessed
that it was Unbreakable
. I think it's a testament to how well it stands on it's own because I stopped trying to guess or think about
what it was a sequel for
before the half way mark.
That last scene is shot and acted really corny though lol.

My only issue is how it treats a real mental disorder
as a superpower
. I think he should have at least tried to say that
this version that actually changes the physiology of the person was something more than DID and given it a new name (which the Doctor could have coined).
Regarding the mental disorder:
outside of the split personality stuff, what the movie has and tries to say about those who go through suffering will prosper the most, especially in regards to self harm, is something I'd never expect to see in a movie.

Fun film, but I felt like I was constantly 2 steps ahead. A lot of the writing (especially for the psychologist character, and also the lead girls backstory) just felt like a contrived set-up for the (weak) climax. Even the twist is something I considered while watching, though I didn't expect it to be so clearly established at the end there and that was pretty neat.

gamz

Fun film, but I felt like I was constantly 2 steps ahead. A lot of the writing (especially for the psychologist character, and also the lead girls backstory) just felt like a contrived set-up for the (weak) climax. Even the twist is something I considered while watching, though I didn't expect it to be so clearly established at the end there and that was pretty neat.

I didn't feel it was contrived at all. It's those little backstories that most movies in this genre don't even bother with. I thought it was nice character building.

And it explains her odd behavior at the beginning of the film.

Budi

What a jerk.

Huh? How can you get that from the OP? Doesn't mention any actors, director, writer, even themes of the movie, when it was released etc. There isn't even one clue to point what movie it could be. Or am I missing something, didn't seem like they edited the OP either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom