• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMO Skyforge is coming to PS4 this March

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm hoping that jacob armitage can be promoted to commander with me before I go on vacation next week. I'll be out and would love to be able to get more people in while I'm away.

Friend me on PSN (US servers) at nicoga3000 - if I'm on and see you on, I'll invite you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes, for some reason PS4 are dirty peasants and have to unlock classes by paying 3 million credits, not advancing through the campain like the PC version.

The PS4 version is so unfriendly to newcomers that is going to get destroyed quickly. They don't even throw a bone to them.

good lord >_>

like thats the whole reason im playing the PC version, because its so easy to unlock the classes. I guess they want to drag out the process so people stick around, but that would just make me leave faster tbh :/

Demoskinos

Okay... so the log-in rewards are a one time thing? That's really weird. I don't know why they wouldn't constantly keep that carrot on the stick there to incentive people to come back.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Okay... so the log-in rewards are a one time thing? That's really weird. I don't know why they wouldn't constantly keep that carrot on the stick there to incentive people to come back.

I thought that was weird...7-days and then "Sorry, no more rewards!" Like, the dude legit says that, too.

Syysch

There's that one-a-day(?) reward from that one building in the capital where you spend coins to get followers... The cathedral? Maybe they expect that to be the login reward. I got argents from it the other day.

Can't sort my bag into any kind of order, pantheon system is just straight up broken and the hall of trophies is just a blank page. No message at all about it.

They really should have tested some of this

Demoskinos

Okay I'm doing one of the open world adventure things for the Bastion quests and it says to kill all the "reapers of death" BUT I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE TO FIND THEM AND I HAVE TO KILL 75 OF THE DAMNED THINGS.

Bajan32

Been playing this since it's well..free. But I am stuck on Artonus Hollow. Could definitely use some help getting thru it. Just can't get it done solo.

Add me if you play
Psn: Bajan32 usually on in evenings (est)

BigEmil

Wait for Tera to come to PS4 guys it's a much more better + way more fairer MMO game than Skyforge, Skyforge is a joke compared to Tera it's one of the top MMOs out there

Wait for Tera to come to PS4 guys it's a much more better + way more fairer MMO game than Skyforge, Skyforge is a joke compared to Tera it's one of the top MMOs out there

The combat in tera is not as good (atleast the last time I played it). This game actually feels like an action rpg.

Ohhh man just randomly lost all the free premium time I had got from chest. Game said I had it till May 7th, and also learning there is no real way to get argents other then shelling out real cash. All xi can say is atleast the Marvel Heroes Omega closed beta starts tomorrow. Skyforge is starting to feel a bit too much pay to win.

Its a good enough time waster for now, though i'm interested to see how Tera is on the PS4. I played it quite a bit at launch years ago.

Demoskinos

So is there really no way to progress your character's stats after you start hitting rank 10 and the shrines and hit the daily refresh limit?

Ricker

Its so confusing quest wise...I finally did an area where other people where running around,it was full,it was fun but after completing everything in there,I continued the solo parts,where you move from left to right on the map,then I somehow got back to that initial area and could start everything over again,but with a new end quest among the sidequests but I have no clue where to go lol...

My Lightbringer is maxed out I think so should I start the 2 other classes...? and will I have to redo all the map areas...? I see some stories parts where it says 1-3 or 1-5 on top..does this mean its for 3 player max or suggested...?...I also need to send my followers on missions I believe but I have no idea how to do that lol...

Fun but confusing as hell and I have played a lot of MMO's...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I continue to slowly unlock classes, and I continue to think the game has some very cool classes that I wish were in a better game.

Up to Necromancer now, and its a great take on a action-based summoner, really enjoyed it. Monk, not so much (its fine but not my jam).

Freeman76

No announced date yet, i believe it was only announced last month that its coming - it may be awhile.

It was announced a while back and then they said its unconfirmed that it will happen.
Then they said its out in 2017. Lol

Tera combat is better IMO, and the design etc....Skyforge is OK but the devs really are sneaky money grubbers.

The one I really want on PS4 is BDO but i'm not holding my breath on that.

Ricker

It was announced a while back and then they said its unconfirmed that it will happen.

Tera combat is better IMO, and the design etc....Skyforge is OK but the devs really are sneaky money grubbers.

Talk about a confusing game lol...anyway,I will be on a lot today(N.A. PS4) so if someone from the academy or guild or whatever is on I will try and join up...PSN ID is Ravenden.

Z3M0G

I purchased Early Access to get a 2 week head start and things in the game were extremely confusing. Not the Mission and Quest structure... I LOVE those... it is structured much more like Phantasy Star Online / Universe than a traditional MMORPG where everyone is running around a shared world.

The combat is good, and probably great once you get into more difficult content, but at least for now I prefer the combat of Tera much MUCH more. I too look forward to Tera, but I don't look forward to restarting that game's Quest grind... both games are gorgeous though. The locations are beautiful, especially the large open nature ones.

But the menu system... the "character growth" system... it's just so alien and strange. I get that they wanted to do something different, and break away from the XP / Leveling mold that all other RPGs follow, but I don't feel they came up with a good alternative. At least not a good way to present it to the player.

This game feels like it is supposed to be a loot game, but the loot is all samey and extremely boring. Especially since only the weapon is cosmetic. I'm expecting it gets better later... but the UI shortcomings and lifeless presentation of it all doesn't help in the early hours.

The class system is pretty great. Needing to "cash in" and "restart" a new Class quest between each ability unlock is completely pointless... It should just grant you a new ability every X kills without needing to do the GUI steps... It's things like that about the game's design that urk me.

But like others have said, this game really does scratch a particular itch... I'm not quite sure what it is. As far as how the game "plays", the best thing to compare it to is DC Universe, IMO. That was the first "Action Combat" MMORPG I played, prior to TERA, and I feel this game is more similar to DCU.

This game needs a complete UI presentation overhaul... make things less wordy and more "in your face" in terms of how each temple contributes to your character's Might / Prestige.

It's also crazy the redesigns this game has gone through since original release on PC... going from this:

Skyforge-Review-10.jpg

to this:

Is very unfortunate... it looked so interesting initially...

Edit: Some feel it is better and more streamlined than it used to be though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhd_PPTCH1M

When PS4 Early Access started, the Tower of Knowledge looked like this:

Now it looks like this:

Threw me for a loop only a week into playing... I still don't understand what the symbols mean... But why take away the visual progress bar and replace it with a tiny little % counter? :/ It feels like every GUI overhaul is a major step backwards in terms of presentation to the player...

Edit: Found this which explains the latest changes. Gonna give it a read: https://sf.my.com/us/news/announcements/cathedral-and-tower-knowledge-changes

To people comparing this to PSO, does it also have the Diablo-style loot drops of that game or is the comparison mainly due to the level designs and layouts?

atpbx

This is an hilariously terrible game.

It's just.... awful.

Clunky, buggy game and controls, cluttered counter intuitive menus and UI, and the whole thing is based on some incomprehensible gibberish.

30 seconds in: you die, then for no reason at all you are now immortal, and something and some stuff and do you want to be a witch, another witch or a knight now, oh and it's millions of mcguffins if you want to play as interesting class.

No thanks.

Z3M0G

To people comparing this to PSO, does it also have the Diablo-style loot drops of that game or is the comparison mainly due to the level designs and layouts?

Mission structure, mostly. The areas are not at all "Random" like in PSO. They are set linear locations. The open locations are large with lots of players running around.

Open area map:

- a checklist of quests to complete, all indicated by highlighted zones on the map. Complete a set and unlock a mini boss. Complete those and unlock the final "boss" of the area.
- if you leave the area, it all resets so you can repeat it if desired

Typical linear quest map:

- linear path to the end with mini-bosses along the way and a boss at the end

Missions have NO difficulty your first time though... I slaughter most things 1 hit. I've died a couple times though in the open areas. But every mission (not the open areas) have 5 or 6 different difficulty levels that give better and better rewards, and likely require a team eventually.

It has loot drops, but you will get the same wristband 10 times before you get a new one, etc. So it is an extremely unsatisfying loot system. At least in the beginning... I can't speak for later. So far I have received Green > Blue > Purple? items.

Your Accessories are shared across all classes, but your weapon is equipped to each specific class. There is no traditional "Armor".

- Top Row: Weapon (class specific) and Artifact
- 2nd Row: Jewely (2 rings, one amulet, + something else)
- 3rd Row: 4 gem slots, kinda like Diablo gems but they go directly into these 4 slots instead of onto your gear
- 4th Row: quick access slots for consumable items

When you switch to a different class (at the click of a button), only the Weapon and maybe Artifact change. Each class can have 6 sets of Weapon/Artifact combinations, if you desire.

Artifacts provide alterations to your abilities and skills. Not necessarily more power.

This is an hilariously terrible game.

It's just.... awful.

Clunky, buggy game and controls, cluttered counter intuitive menus and UI, and the whole thing is based on some incomprehensible gibberish.

30 seconds in: you die, then for no reason at all you are now immortal, and something and some stuff and do you want to be a witch, another witch or a knight now, oh and it's millions of mcguffins if you want to play as interesting class.

No thanks.

While I sorta enjoy the game, I can't argue with any of that. The game is rough, the voice dialogue is completely phoned in without context to the actual situation it is recorded for, UI is a horrible mess all around.

They want to do something "different" with this game, and after a year released on PC, they are still trying to figure out how to do it. And being able to pay real money to buy Knowledge of Enemies which you can directly pump into your character to increase your strength (Might) is pretty dirty... though I hear after last changes it is more difficult (expensive?) to do so...

Ferr986

I'm past halfway the campaign and I''m still around 500k credits. Fuck this 3M shit. I think I may just stop till they inevitable nerf the amount of credits needed for a class.

ReaperXL7

If the recent trend continues you'll get BDO in 5 years since that seems to be the average difference. Star Trek, Neverwinter, Marvel Heroes, Terra, Trove have all been out on PC for awhile.

I thought there was a rumor that Blade and Soul might come to PS4 also but that was a long time ago, there is also Kingdom Under fire but who knows what's going on with that game anymore.

Syysch

I'm past halfway the campaign and I''m still around 500k credits. Fuck this 3M shit. I think I may just stop till they inevitable nerf the amount of credits needed for a class.

There's a 2-week event thing that started... yesterday? You'll get a fair amount of credits if you "participate" which takes no effort other than playing the game on your part.

You get special drops from bosses (guaranteed 1 per), I think you're capped at collecting some dumb amount like 138 total, and you spend them for event progress (1 per 8 hour, spend argents to use 10 at a time, spend something else to skip the time, these events were always designed as a real money sink on pc and looks to be the same here).

The good part is, all of those items you don't use are worth 6k credits each, and will auto sell at the end of the event, or you can sell them manually. 828k credits if you kill 138 bosses and don't use any of them.

I'm close to the end of the campaign and at about 1.5 mil myself, the grind is real, but that will help soften the blow a little.

If anyone doesn't know how to access the event, it's in the options menu, I think about 2/3 of the way to the right.

Z3M0G

I'm close to the end of the campaign and at about 1.5 mil myself, the grind is real, but that will help soften the blow a little.

I think I can live with finishing the campaign using the starter 3 classes, and hope that playing higher difficulties will really amp up the rate that you get credits... (If I even get through it once)

If anyone doesn't know how to access the event, it's in the options menu, I think about 2/3 of the way to the right.

Mind-boggling... Edit: makes more sense when I think about it, I just hope the game tells you that somehow?

Ha, I downloaded it, but haven't start once yet. Is it any good?

I'm currently got dragged to FF14, enjoying the story lot more than I thought I would.

Its OK at best, a good way to waste time currently. Enjoy FFXIV, i really love it - i'll likely come back for the next expansion.

Syysch

Mind-boggling... Edit: makes more sense when I think about it, I just hope the game tells you that somehow?

It did at one point kinda, I had a popup message about it after I logged in this morning. I had already done a couple of the 8 hour things yesterday, though, and only found it then when flipping through the quests menu to see how much I had left on my bastion stuff.

Mossybrew

After playing some more I do enjoy the combat, but a lot of other game aspects aren't really clicking with me, as some of you have already noted. Character progression is weird, the loot system is weird and not at all satisfying, questing and the way the world is structured is unintuitive.

I was also all about this up until I found out you can't unlock the classes the same way as the PC version. I actually like how the combat works and the different star/skull stuff for missions. 3 Million credits is insane.

ironcreed

Banned
I was also all about this up until I found out you can't unlock the classes the same way as the PC version. I actually like how the combat works and the different star/skull stuff for missions. 3 Million credits is insane.

Total turn off for sure. The game is neat at first for a free to play title, but after playing for a bit there is no way I am spending any money to unlock classes, nor do I feel desire to spend more time with something that is essentially pay to win. I have too many other games that require my attention without such nonsense. Time to delete it.

I have to agree the whole 3 million credits just to unlock a class is a huge turn off. Managed to reach 1.8 million so far but I do not know if I'll finish off the last 1.2 mill.

DrkSage

Raise your rank and use that purple rarity thingy in the bag (forgot its name) that gives you shit the higher your rank is. I only completed the first map, wasted everything in the tower of knowledge and gathering people in that other building and haven't done anything else. Got 600k and wasted it on underwear clothing ._.

No asheamed on what I wasted those 600k tho since I only played this game for like 5 hours top and I'm not bothering on coming back

Syysch

Managed to beat the campaign at a little over 28k prestige (I think the mission was 42k prestige difficulty). Used mostly paladin and knight, since I used mostly dps and the occasional support when I played on PC (and targeting kinda sucks on ps4 so didn't wanna do support).

Bastion quests were giving me ~200 prestige (per quest, with several quests per bastion upgrade), that's how I was getting most of my prestige at the end there. Make sure you're unlocking and setting those upgrades if you're having trouble - Divine Intervention helped me a lot (block damage and 4 sec invincibility if you take >10% hp, 70 sec cooldown), and Pain Shock to a lesser extent (free knockdown to stop an enemy's attack every 25 sec) - they're in the Symbols section under abilities.

Lots more shit (with daily caps) unlocks after the campaign is done.

Factorium was probably the hardest area, it's the last one of the 2nd to last region. It's kinda all downhill from there if you can get past that one.

Z3M0G

I've been comparing this game to Phantasy Star Online / Universe, but it may make more sense to compare it to Destiny.

- Large Zones are equivalent to Patrols
- Story missions are equivalent to Story missions (even 3 players)
- Larger group dungeons are equivalent to Strikes
- Haven't gotten far enough to know if there is anything to hold up against the Raids.. I'm sure this game has its own "Raids"
- Multiple difficulties to all of the above (except for the large zones)
- Daily (?) rotation of Mission(s?) that give bonuses

No overlap of Zone areas and Mission areas however, all are unique.

If this game was less janky, had more quality presentation, dropped the "you're a god" thing, more streamlined growth systems, and better menu systems, it could have been on of may favorite games in some time... It's a game I desperately want to be better than it is. I strongly appreciate what they are trying to do with the game, I just don't like their approach.

Edit2: Ooof, removing what I just posted... nevermind

Ricker

Just realised you can switch classes,well the 3 beginner ones lol,at will but you have to redo some earlier parts to get the new skills but you need the quest to do it...starting to understand how things work although theres a lot of stuff I dont get in the menu yet...still plugging away a bit here and there...

Z3M0G

Just realised you can switch classes,well the 3 beginner ones lol,at will but you have to redo some earlier parts to get the new skills but you need the quest to do it...starting to understand how things work although theres a lot of stuff I dont get in the menu yet...still plugging away a bit here and there...

Yah, needing to "Accept" and then "Cash In" those "quests" to unlock each new class ability is silly... they should just give you a new ability ever X kills (which is all those "quests" are). So that you get gradual access to each skill as you play the class to learn it over time.

But originally the game had this massive FFX style skill tree to unlock your class abilities... so I guess they wanted to still make you feel like you were interacting with a skill grid of some kind... which you are totally not doing.

They have completely lost their way with the UI design of this game, especially in terms of the progression systems.

I believe they said that the presentation of it all is temporary... I'm thinking until they finally decide on a set of systems that work, and then once they have that locked down they will do some actual Art and Presentation work to make it all more pleasant to look at.

Top Bottom