• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda details their "BE3 Plus" show (pre-show, post-show, concert), teaser image

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm surprised nobody made a joke yet asking if the console on the ground could be the NX.

It's weird that they will likely still use time in their press conference to talk about games that are already out, (Doom, FO4, ESO), as they did last year with ESO. It's not the traditional way of doing these press events, but let's be honest, these aren't press events anymore. Tens of thousands (maybe more) people watch these things online, so why not make it an opportunity to talk about what you already have on the market as well as what's coming. (I'm aware that I'm making an assumption that those games get discussed on stage).

Off the wall prediction: They're gonna bring back bullet time in a big way (and figure out how to do it right) with Wet 2 this year!

Plum

So looks like the conferences are going to be following the same schedule as last year, and of course right in the middle of exams for me. I've never missed a late night conference before despite that (and it hasn't affected my performance) so I don't mind one bit.

As for the conference itself, really not sure how much they have. Doom will be out, Elder Scrolls is unlikely, all I can really think of is Dishonored 2 and Fallout 4 DLC. Still looking forward to it though.

- Elder Scrolls Legends
- Fallout 4 DLC
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- Dishonored 2
- Doom

Hard pass
Am only mildly interested in Dishonored 2

Bizzquik

Are they STILL talking about ESO?

It gets quarterly DLC expansion packs, so yes.

I want to see info on Q3's Housing. I don't just want cosmetic, Crown Store stuff. I'm hoping there's some functionality built in, and that some of the items can be purchased via in-game money as a gold sink.

"And Xbox One owners can play Skyrim on backwards compatibility right after this event ends, thank you good night"

Give me Oblivion or give me death. Oblivion modding never took off on PC like it did in Skyrim, and its PC version doesn't have native controller support. Give me a reason to go back to it, Bethesda!
Also, I suspect it would actually play better on Xbox One versus Xbox 360, as the optional hard drive installation on 360 was borked and never improved.

My somewhat possible announcements for the show I hope to see are

Skyrim Remastered, it makes sense, would sell a lot, and Bethesda ported it to PS4 for testing purposes already anyways

Evil Within 2

And a new Wolfenstein

I don't want to sound like an a-hole, but as a Skyrim owner for the PS3, I would welcome a 1080p/60fps port with all DLCs XD

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I can't believe that a longer period of time has now passed since the release of Skyrim, than the time between Oblivion's release and Skyrim's reveal trailer.

I can't believe that a longer period of time has now passed since the release of Skyrim, than the time between Oblivion's release and Skyrim's reveal trailer.

And we wont get the next Elder Scrolls for quite a while. Its one of the reasons I think a Skyrim remaster is coming.

Zukkoyaki

Bethesda had an awesome and well focused conference last year that was well paced and gave their games room to breath. I expect no less from them this year. Wish I could attend but my sister decided to go and get married (happy for her!).

Hopefully they have a legit surprise in-store this year. While a new Wolfenstein and Evil Within would be great, they're both expected just like Dishonored, Fallout, and Doom last year. A Prey 2 revival or some kind of new IP would be awesome.

Walpurgis

Banned
Sounds like it's going to be a boring conference. Without a Elder Scrolls, there's really no point. I'm secretly hoping that they're announcing one by an external studio like the New Vegas people but they're too stupid to do that.

edit:
Please no Skyrim remaster. Instead hire a contractor to make a TES 5.5 like Obsidian did with New Vegas.

Great minds. :p

Please no Skyrim remaster. Instead hire a contractor to make a TES 5.5 like Obsidian did with New Vegas.

I don't see Bethesda ever letting another studio touch a mainline ES game. The MMO was one thing but I doubt they will let someone else make one. Fallout was an IP they bought not created

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I believe battlecry is totally on ice, and I saw some tew2 stuff awhile ago so I know it was planned but I'm a bit disconnected from that for awhile

That said super hyped for dishonored 2 personally, loved the first one

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And we wont get the next Elder Scrolls for quite a while. Its one of the reasons I think a Skyrim remaster is coming.

Yeah, unless some other studio is working on it, given that Bethesda just finished Fallout 4, there is no way a Skyrim sequel is coming soon.

Bolivar687

Banned
Give me Oblivion or give me death. Oblivion modding never took off on PC like it did in Skyrim, and its PC version doesn't have native controller support. Give me a reason to go back to it, Bethesda!

Modding never took off for any game like it did for Skyrim but even then, Oblivion is far and away the next most modded game on the Nexus. It's actually better Skyrim in many ways, as many projects have matured to a complete state where you don't have to hunt down several downloads to fix one broader category. I can't help you with the controller but i highly suggest you take a second look, as Oblivion has huge, exciting projects going on even today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is anyone doing one of those charts that has all the conference times, in all the timezones again?
It was real nice to have last year... but I'd imagine with EA doing an "experience" it'll be bitch to sort out.

Geist-

I wonder if this is going to be when they release the GECK.
That's the only thing that would bring me back to Fo4. Even though I'm not sure if mods can fix the biggest problems I have with the game.

I know it's extremely unlikely, but I hope they announce that New Vegas 2 is under development with Obsidian, even if it won't come out for another year or 2.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What makes more sense:

1.) Looking at the gap between releases.
2.) Looking at what the staff at the actual studio who would be making the game is doing.

Well, considering I'm responding directly to a comment that talks about gaps between titles, probably the first one.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Can't wait for the Dishonored 2 blowout. Arkane is going to do great things with that game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, considering I'm responding directly to a comment that talks about gaps between titles, probably the first one.
Are you expecting TLOU2 next year?
Why do you think Mass Effect 4 took 5 years to make instead of 2.5?
Why do you feel Red Dead 3 is not out right now?
What do you think happened to Borderlands 3?

WanderingWind

Why do you think what other studios do is relevant in the slightest? Look, I have no idea why you're being so antagonistic. I'm pointing out that the fact that the timeframe between Fallout 3 and Oblivion was 2 years and the timeframe between the last two Elder Scrolls was 5 years. That's it. That's all.

I wasn't talking at all about the gap between games, I was saying when you can expect another Elder Scrolls game. I wasn't even considering the gap between games, I was considering what the team responsible has been doing for the last five years (hint: not making an elder scrolls game).

Your comment doesn't even make sense considering there was a four year gap between skyrim and fallout 4.

Bolivar687

Banned

And why do you think it took 4 years to make a Fallout on the last Elder Scrolls engine when previously it only took 2 years to make a Fallout on the previous Elder Scrolls engine?

Concurrent development, silly :p

Sotha_Sil

Dream scenario:

Id Software - Doom
Zenimax Online Studios - TESO Expansion
Bethesda Game Studios - Fallout 4 Expansion
Arkane (Lyon) - Dishonored 2
Arkane (Austin) - Prey 2
MachineGames - New IP (to alternate with Wolfenstein)
Tango Gameworks - New IP

Other - TES Legends, some Mobile stuff

It wouldn't have the shock factor of the Fallout 4 showcase, but I think it would be a deeper conference than last year's. And more interesting for me than what Microsoft, Sony, EA, or Ubisoft could deliver.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why do you think what other studios do is relevant in the slightest? Look, I have no idea why you're being so antagonistic. I'm pointing out that the fact that the timeframe between Fallout 3 and Oblivion was 2 years and the timeframe between the last two Elder Scrolls was 5 years. That's it. That's all.

The illustration here is meant to point out that all those studios ended up with longer than traditional gaps in their games because the staff who would have been working on new entries was working on a different game instead.

BioWare Montreal was called in to work on Dragon Age, almost everyone at Gearbox is developing Battleborn, and GTA ate up almost the entirety of Rockstar. Naughty Dog also had to give up on their two team idea to get Uncharted 4 done.

With Bethesda, we know they're a ~110 person studio that was making a giant open world game. The development cycles for just about everyone in the industry have went up by at least a year as well. Unless they're going to return to their shortest development cycle ever, we're not going to see a game until 2018, and even if they do, it would almost assuredly be a 2017 title.

You're leading off with "Again," so you seem to be intent on being repetitively argumentative (this isn't meant to be a negative use of said word) on this topic, so I'm not sure why you're opposed to having an extended discussion on the topic.

Are you trying to imply your statement wasn't a disagreement with what Simon Belmont said? I mean, in that case, I'm sorry, but I'm confused what you were going for.

Now, if you want to argue something like "Well they have another studio making it.", I mean, sure. I would follow up with questions about who you feel it is and why instead.

And why do you think it took 4 years to make a Fallout on the last Elder Scrolls engine when previously it only took 2 years to make a Fallout on the previous Elder Scrolls engine?

Concurrent development, silly :p
I honestly do not believe they have enough people to do that currently with what they've been making. Oblivion was pretty barebones for what it was, and I wouldn't be shocked if they made Fallout 3 at their size in 2-2.5 years given the scope of that game is very different from what they make today.

Now, at this point they're trying to do major expansion, so maybe the idea is to make games concurrently going forward, but it's really hard for me to imagine a scenario where 110 people made 1+ years worth of progress on a new Elder Scrolls game while getting Fallout 4 out the door, and that's on top of handling Skyrim DLC during Fallout 4's development and an aggressive DLC schedule for Fallout 4 currently.

WanderingWind

I wasn't talking at all about the gap between games, I was saying when you can expect another Elder Scrolls game. I wasn't even considering the gap between games, I was considering what the team responsible has been doing for the last five years (hint: not making an elder scrolls game).

I guess I misunderstood when you mentioned that Bethesda takes their time. I sort of understood that to be about time between games. Now I'm not sure what time we're talking about here. In any event, I'm not expecting an announcement of a new Elder Scrolls. But considering their past release schedules, I'm also not discounting it out of hand.

MiguelItUp

The Evil Within was too unfocused and the last chapters are as boring as RE4 disc 2.

Never had a problem with RE4, didn't have a problem with The Evil Within. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was certainly better than I thought it'd be.

You just sound like you really hate Bethesda for some reason, you always just pop into threads, say a negative comment, and then leave. Lol.

I guess I misunderstood when you mentioned that Bethesda takes their time. I sort of understood that to be about time between games. Now I'm not sure what time we're talking about here. In any event, I'm not expecting an announcement of a new Elder Scrolls. But considering their past release schedules, I'm also not discounting it out of hand.

I can dismiss it out of hand. Everybody and their dog knows what they're working on so there's no need to announce it. They probably don't even have a full team working on it yet, so it's definitely a few years off, and they've been running with shorter marketing cycles. You won't hear about it until it's six months from release, and that'll be E3 2018 or 2019.

Top Bottom