• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMO, all "perfect" albums are judged in comparison to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
4135V8VX80L._SS500_.jpg

Doytch

Darunia said:
I feel very strongly about Songs for the Deaf. If you ask me it's the album of the 00's, or whatever this wacky decade is called. It's not just that every song is a badass mother****er, but it keeps moving in this fast Spartan tempo, with one killer riff after the other. QOTSA keeps on churning out consistent and awesome albums (with every one of them having a distinct style!), but Songs for the Deaf is the one for me.

I couldn't agree more. Grohl is an absolute madman on that album, and I think A Song for the Dead is probably the best rock song in the last ten years. It's incredibly driving with Josh focusing on his guitar and Dave beating the **** out of the drums.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Personally i cant go past Lennons Imagine or Dead Kennedys Fresh fruit for rotting vegetables.

ToxicAdam

When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight And He'll Win the Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand And Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights And If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land And If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right

+1

voodoojohn said:
I can't get myself to enjoy Dylan. I can appreciate him, sure, but I just cannot, despite all my efforts, enjoy him. Am I crazy? Un-American, perhaps?

well, his music really isn't that....... good. nice lyrics tho

0cad228348a0730a606de010.L.jpg

B00004HYLF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000001AM7.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

kc6.jpg

(^larks' tongues in aspic)
ql-queen2.jpg

299.jpg

lateralus.jpg

(uh... i think you freaks know this one)
eno12.jpg

2157.jpg

7394.jpg

they may not be perfect, but i like em. they're sweet. especially the one with the overtly hideous cover art... in fact, it might be the sweeeeeetest of all.

Angry

51VN0W7RHPL._AA240_.jpg

41F4W16YWXL._AA240_.jpg

41Y42MDG17L._AA240_.jpg

41CS7QPF1ZL._AA240_.jpg

buhmachine, what's the one with the medieval looking cover? Return To Forever? Never heard of them... Gives me a Rick Wakeman vibe for some reason. I'm intrigued....

*Goes off to check on amazon*

Jake.

:lol:lol:lol

anyway...

cro-mags - the age of quarrel.
big l - lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous.
joy division - unknown pleasures.

Barnolde

Banned
Forgoing more well-known music. I'll go with Agalloch's first two full lengths.

B00000JIRY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

aggaloch_themantle.jpg

and for single-handedly making melodic death metal not a worthless genre, props go to Arghoslent and their esoteric masterpiece:
arghoslent.jpg

Odrion

Banned
MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
Paul's Boutique
Expanding the horizons and expanding the parameters
Expanding the rhymes of sucker M.C. amateurs

Oh yeah, and agreeing with Closer and Daydream Nation.

Idioteque

Silver Apples - Silver Apples
The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
Radiohead - Kid A
Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind
The Smiths - Queen is Dead
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Joy Division - Closer
Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Doggystyle, for the era it was released in, was a perfect record.

And for all those posting "Cowboys from Hell", "Vulgar Display of Power" was superior.

This is not open for debate.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ryudo said:
No Beatles albums make you guys look like idiots.

I love the Beatles, but which of their albums doesn't have a single weak song in your opinion?
EDIT: Christ, Fei... Even if you cut that down to a single disc, it STILL wouldn't be perfect.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Odrion said:
So glad I saved that quote.

So you could make yourself look like a pathetic child?

I know I save quotes of people talking about bands they like that I personally dislike. That way I can bring it up in the future to try and make some pretentious too-cool-for-the-room point about their musical taste. You know, because it's not mine.

Grow up.

Odrion

Banned
omg rite said:
So you could make yourself look like a pathetic child?

I know I save quotes of people talking about bands they like that I personally dislike. That way I can bring it up in the future to try and make some pretentious too-cool-for-the-room point about their musical taste. You know, because it's not mine.

Grow up.
omg rite said:
LP [Linkin Park] is "wonderful" music in my eyes.
It works for everything!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
51NtzrWOjxL._SS500_.jpg

516HA4CJ8SL._SS500_.jpg

And if Track 4 "Uhh Ahh" on Boyz II Men's CooleyHighHarmony was left off the album I would say that one too.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
if i really had to pick one, i'd say Metallica - Master of Puppets would be my "perfect" album.

if a "perfect" album is such that every song on the album is great or good then that list will grow quite a bit.

Some brilliant choices in here - Tool, Muse, NIN, Jimi, Radiohead etc. I'll add some more:

41PY22W7B2L._AA240_.jpg

411RYY901TL._AA240_.jpg

41K-ag7pt4L._AA240_.jpg

41QRC2MKG0L._AA240_.jpg

^^^Not technically a studio album, but can't be discounted.

4134TT3789L._AA240_.jpg

^^^Same, a mix cd, but one of the best ever.

Angry said:
buhmachine, what's the one with the medieval looking cover? Return To Forever? Never heard of them... Gives me a Rick Wakeman vibe for some reason. I'm intrigued....

*Goes off to check on amazon*

it's this jazz fusion band. i can't handle jazz, but romantic warrior has a greater emphasis on rock... it's still quite jazzy though. a good mix. when i first heard it, i was like "wow this sounds like ****ing castlevania." now i don't know whether you consider that a good thing or a bad thing, but i consider that THE BEST THING. the hooks are so addicting--it's infectious. you'll find yourself in the store or something and you'll be humming it... or in my case, making little noises out of your mouth in rhythm to the groove in your head. especially in the case of "duel of the jester and the tyrant." it helps when all the band members are absolute virtuosos. and yeah, the song titles are corny, but there's no singing so the songs can be anything you want really. it's still fantasy baulshit to me though. B)

pringles

There's obviously no such thing as a "perfect album", but a few of Elliott Smith's come close. Especially this one:
romancandle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom