• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Aloy (Alloy) Conundrum...

So, I've never played Horizon Zero Dawn.
But I know that the main protagonist has the name of Aloy.
However, on this very forum, I've seen people calling her "Alloy".

Now, normally I don't get as confused with incorrect names, but this one has stuck with me for awhile.
I've also seen many people championing/defending the game, while still calling her the wrong name.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, can you be a fan and champion something without even taking the time to spell the main character correctly?

Hand Solo is my favorite character in Star Wars. I can't wait for his solo movie!

Is this really an issue? Most of the time its probably auto correct rearing its ugly head.

I'm not sure, Crankshift. This is exactly what I'm trying to find out.
Also I was unaware of the rule where I can only post current video game issues on this forum.
Mea culpa.

Griss

Her name should have been Alloy. Ayy-loy sounds stupid, and never really stops sounding stupid over the course of 30 hours, which is the true test of a name. Ahh-loy sounds much better and is in keeping with the theme of the game and her character.

Necron

Sarah Rider in Mass Effect: Andromeda was ok.

Edit: I just started playing a bit of Horizon and didn't know the correct spelling of her name. I guess I should keep the subtitles on.

Not

Banned
If they call her Alloy, they probably haven't played the game. Her name is said a lot and it's pronounced Eh-loi by pretty much everyone

Rymuth

giphy.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
oh come on, you know the main character's name is master chef.

I remember in my gamefaqs days there were people who would refer to Master Chief only by his actual name of John even in topics that had little to do with Halo in general parts of the message boards. It was always confusing as fuck and they always got highly butt hurt when people called them out for it.

Is this really an issue? Most of the time its probably auto correct rearing its ugly head.

Her name is used in the game many times via voice and text... how is this a problem?

It's an issue because it's a reference being used (incorrectly) outside of the medium.
I guess you also don't mind when people refer to the Paystation 4 or the Xbone X either.

Anyway, thanks for the pep talk, friends on the intranet.
I'll be sure to browse NeoGIF more because of this stimulating discussion.

w0s

So, I've never played Horizon Zero Dawn.
But I know that the main protagonist has the name of Aloy.
However, on this very forum, I've seen people calling her "Alloy".

Now, normally I don't get as confused with incorrect names, but this one has stuck with me for awhile.
I've also seen many people championing/defending the game, while still calling her the wrong name.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, can you be a fan and champion something without even taking the time to spell the main character correctly?

Hand Solo is my favorite character in Star Wars. I can't wait for his solo movie!

If worrying about one L instead of two makes someone not a fan then you are way too critical. I mean shit Hand solo is so far away from han. I don't pay attention to how they always spell her name.

If worrying about one L instead of two makes someone not a fan then you are way too critical. I mean shit Hand solo is so far away from han. I don't pay attention to how they always spell her name.

I'm not saying who is and who isn't a fan. I can't make that call.
I guess what I'm asking is how much attention can someone remember (and regurgitate) and still consider them self a fan. I understand it's only one letter - but it's also a main characters name.

The same could be said about movies, music or any other creative art form.

I love those Ricky movies.
Kenya West has great albums.
Vincent VanGo was really creative.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Zero Dawn is part of the title, not a subtitle.

It is, in fact, a subtitle. That's why it's in smaller font and centered below "Horizon". This is basic title writing. Colons are only used when the subtitle is written on the same line as the series title. You know Zelda games don't have colons either right? Doesn't mean "Breath of the Wild" isn't a subtitle. There's also no colon before "The Frozen Wilds" So I guess it's Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds.

The sequel will be "Horizon (insert subtitle here)".

Hari Seldon

I'm not saying who is and who isn't a fan. I can't make that call.
I guess what I'm asking is how much attention can someone remember (and regurgitate) and still consider them self a fan. I understand it's only one letter - but it's also a main characters name.

The same could be said about movies, music or any other creative art form.

I love those Ricky movies.
Kenya West has great albums.
Vincent VanGo was really creative.

Seriously who gives a fuck if someone on the internet misspells anything, let alone a fake character's name by 1 letter.

I understand misspelling, but I have to admit it kind of annoys me when a characters name is announced in game and someone still pronounces it wrong.

Like calling Dhalsim "Dhal-seem"

Top Bottom