• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Chumley

Banned
Are you guys getting a positive, negative, or mixed vibe about the promotional material they've shown so far?

Do you think this season looks better or worse than season 6?

They went all out on the budget, from a production values standpoint it looks amazing. The battle scenes will be great. I'm not really all that excited for the season itself though based on the promos, they're marketing it like a blockbuster action film with predictability written all over it. We'll see, though. If it's as good as S6 I'll be happy but for some reason I'm afraid it'll be S5 tier trash.

TripOpt55

I am so excited for the new season. I can't believe Dany will finally be in Westeros. Haven't looked at much of the promo stuff, so not exactly sure what to expect this season which is fun.

Moff

The night king is one of the lamest, boring villains ever. He even looks dumb.
He is not the sagas big bad. Bran is. And Jaime will kill him.

Speevy

Banned
I am so excited for the new season. I can't believe Dany will finally be in Westeros. Haven't looked at much of the promo stuff, so not exactly sure what to expect this season which is fun.

I would recommend steering clear of the promotional material, as the cast has very loose lips and even the production crew is talking about what is going to happen. They've probably shown more revealing footage and photos from this season than most others.

Speevy

Banned
Bran is the big bad? Why?

He's the beginning of many super-villain origin stories.

Physically disabled, left and presumed dead, blessed with the power to control others' thoughts, sought by evil forces.

Were Bran selfish or malevolent, he'd have his own army of the dead by now.

He is bloodravens successor and that dude is obviously the mastermind behind everything. Bran will finish it.

Man I miss the fun of the whole "The Starks will become the bad guys" theory that was being thrown around before the show clearly did not go in that direction.

I would say that maybe the books might but seeing as how I doubt we will even see books 6, 7, and potentially 8 ever see the light of day, what GRRM intends to do is irrelevant at this point...

Speevy

Banned
I'm not as hyped this year as previous years, I don't know why :S

Maybe it's because they've just let all the various pieces on the board move wherever is convenient for them to eliminate each other and set up the final conflict.

Or perhaps you're just less intrigued by the world now that the path ahead is clear.

Kain

Maybe it's because they've just let all the various pieces on the board move wherever is convenient for them to eliminate each other and set up the final conflict.

Or perhaps you're just less intrigued by the world now that the path ahead is clear.

Probably the second, I like the misteries way more than the conclusions. And the show is subtle as a brick in that sense.

Moff

I believe there are plenty surpises ahead of us.
It will not end with dany & jon killing the others, marrying and live happily ever after.

Money is no issue now for him, but it must suck to get your work spoiled on the TV show, because this is what is going to happen, at least certain very important plot points of the saga. This has already happened, see: "hold the door".
GRRM also thought there would be more from his books in the show and he had a much bigger cushion of time. Not that it would have mattered anyway, which is why I don't really get all of the complaining. At best, he'd only be one book behind, instead of two, and the ending would always be revealed in the show first.
Its very much his fault though, GRRM has let the fame/money consume him whereas other "celebrity" authors like Rowling and Stephen King remain steadfast have avoided that fate. Its his own legacy that's being tarnished, he will always be that author who let the material world overcome his artistic sensibilities, and if he actually doesn't finish the books? That would be truly ironic for a guy that obsesses over legacy and pines for his works to be the next entry into the fantasy literary canon like Tolkein.
He could have gotten them out quicker if he gave more of a shit. He's one of the slowest writers in recorded history and types just with his index fingers IIRC, on ancient technology.

He spent a couple of years doing constant appearances and press shit for the show as well. TWoW just hasn't been a priority for him until the last few years.
He's always been a slow writer. He makes it worse for himself with the DOS machine, only writing at home, typing with one finger, working only on individual POVs, but I think it's petty to get mad at a guy who wants to go to cons and bask in adulation, to travel and enjoy his success. People get pissed off at him for watching football, for goodness' sake. Writing is a job, and not a particularly fun one; when you get asked to come in on Sunday, you get pissed off, too. Half your fanbase worships you, the other half think you're a lazy, fat fuck.

ZeroRay

I agree with Moff. Bran is the true Night King and Jaime is Azhor Ahai.

Don't know if we'll find out what the hell GRRMs been doing until Winds finally comes out. For all we know, he may have been meandering with no end in sight like Feast and Dance and had to basically reset everything (perhaps multiple times) in order to actually hit a conclusion.

Nodnol

I rewatched Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter last night, just to enjoy the spectacle. BotB is so dirty. Love it. And those opening twenty or so minutes of TWoW are glorious.

As excited as I am for Monday (UK), I know 7 weeks will fly by, and then the wait for the final season will be horrendous....

Though I bet the show concludes before GRRM releases Winds.

venom2124

First time we saw them together iirc

Yeah, this has been great. Jason and Mallory are really knowledgeable and they have a lot of fun with it (Jason's terrible impressions are amazing).
Jason reading sex scenes from the books in grrm's voice is the funniest thing I've heard in years. Hopefully one day a hero will compile those three brief readings into one powerful audio clip.

Crispy75

making movies this year.

It's the writing that's always been this show's problem. I've never said "What a well written episode. Shame about the directing."

Re-watching S6 in preparation, lots of the straight-up dialogue scenes are just awful. People tell each other what they just did. Tyrion's parts in particular are a pale shadow of his former wit. The action is superb, the production design is perfect and the big story beats are great, but the actual drama is terrible now that they don't have GRRM's words to crib off.

Still 100% hyped of course.

NeoGiff

Re-watching S6 in preparation, lots of the straight-up dialogue scenes are just awful. People tell each other what they just did. Tyrion's parts in particular are a pale shadow of his former wit. The action is superb, the production design is perfect and the big story beats are great, but the actual drama is terrible now that they don't have GRRM's words to crib off.

This is one of my problems with it, too, and I'm also rewatching season 6. So much of the dialogue is modern day banter in both tone and vocabulary that has no place in the established lexicon of the show.

"Grandma's pussy hair"

"Next time I have an idea like that, punch me in the face"

Imagine those lines being said in seasons 1-3.

Drazgul

When bran warge'd into willis (past hodor), did that mean he can actually alter the past?

Impossible to tell, at this point. It could very well be the 12 monkeys style of immutable time travel where everything happens precisely the way it's meant to happen. Ie., Bran was always going to be there in the past, there never existed a timeline where Willis grew up normally.

Crispy75

When bran warge'd into willis (past hodor), did that mean he can actually alter the past?

Yes, but not in the Back To The Future way of creating alternate realities.

Bran had *always* warged into Hodor.
Ned had *always* heard something weird as he was walking up the steps at the tower of joy.

Time is a closed loop. The 3ER says as much.

Ha, I thought the same thing. Overall I LOVED how the handled Jaime's time at Riverrun, but when he threatened Edmure's child and used "catapult" instead of "trebuchet", part of me was just so bummed that they used the simpler, easier to understand term.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Isn't series just short for 'TV Series' which means the whole show?

In the US, the Girlscouts sell their wares in the spring and it's "Cookie season"
In the UK it's the beloved tradition, Biscuit Series.

Curufinwe

Book readers already breaking out their old crutches. Time to start filling up the ignore list again.

Pluto

Maybe I'd agree if there was a book to compare it to.

Book readers already breaking out their old crutches. Time to start filling up the ignore list again.

The guy criticized the writing after heaping praise on the action, production, and overall plot. Is he allowed to be critical at all? Are we that sensitive about this already?

NeoGiff

You'd prefer an echo chamber of positivity? The post you quoted was rationally balanced and not reminiscent of the book reader show-bashing you seem to be referring to.

Believe. This is the season where we finally get Drizz, I just know it.
It's time for Drizz to shine.
Yeah, this has been great. Jason and Mallory are really knowledgeable and they have a lot of fun with it (Jason's terrible impressions are amazing).
Jason is hilarious. If people have other podcast recs, let me know and I can put some in the OP.
Are you guys getting a positive, negative, or mixed vibe about the promotional material they've shown so far?
Like most people, I think it'll be quite the spectacle with a high body count. I doubt it'll make everyone happy, but I think it'll be a fun ride like S6.
Please don't do this. Part of the reason why we have two threads to avoid this kind of post.

Moff

I have always defended this show, even through the darkest times of season 5, but it's pretty clear that dialogue has suffered a lot since we moved ahead of the book contet. I am pretty sure I pointed that out already when we were still in book territory.
No doubt we will get an awesome story, because it still follows GRRM's broad strokes, but give GRRM some slack, he does write fantastic dialogue and the show version surely has suffered because we no longer have his dialogue in it.

Top Bottom