• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Black Ops Declassified had a 5 months dev cycle

Spiegel

‏@supererogatory
If my math is correct, CoD Vita had like a four-five month development cycle.

superannuation ‏@supererogatory

They didn't really start development until around when Resistance shipped and wrapped up early last month. So May to October.

https://twitter.com/supererogatory

Bonus:

superannuation ‏@supererogatory

Maybe also worth pointing out again that Treyarch's Call of Duty 3 had a eight month development cycle with like five SKUs.

Must have been cheap to make then.

50$

Ridley327

The ultra-short dev cycle for CoD3 is quite well-known at this point, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was true for Declassified, as well.

Given the universal complaints about the sparseness of the game's content, 5 months would certainly cover that issue quite well.

Toki767

Was it really easier to make this game than to just port something like the Wii version of Black Ops to the Vita?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thats crazy.
Kudos to the dev team for pulling that off.

Kazerei

Banned
It really shows. The FPS framework is fine, since it was already created for Resistance. But there's hardly any meat on those bones.

Mikor

The game that was said to be the thing to lead the Vita to sales nirvana was given a whopping 5 months dev time. There really is just no saving this thing, is there? /me holds Vita tight

Bgamer90

Banned
Not surprising. The game is on its way to becoming one of the worst games of all time in terms of reviews.

The game that was said to be the thing to lead the Vita to sales nirvana was given a whopping 5 months dev time.

lol; pretty sad.

Ridley327

No wonder Infinity Ward never liked them, they probably thought Treyarch would take the franchise to shit.

Apparently, IW was super protective of the franchise and their engine at the time, operating under the assumption that everything COD had to go through them first. As they found out, that was not the case.

Lijik

There's no single player to speak of. The offline content is in the form of spec ops missions, time trials and a horde mode.

I think I might be dizzy from the spin in this post.
Offline content you play by yourself is totally different from single player content guys!

Iacobellis

If this was only done in five months, and Burning Skies was at least a year, how did this turn out to be the better game? I understand they improved on the engine and such, but more content? It doesn't make sense.

Skyzard

Banned
^ yeah the reviews have hardly covered the mp at all. Most only mention the technical issues they've run into (most are apparently due to the adhoc patch).

The game that was said to be the thing to lead the Vita to sales nirvana was given a whopping 5 months dev time. There really is just no saving this thing, is there? /me holds Vita tight

Carl

So a game that was announced 18 months ago was only really worked on for 5 months?
Why?

My guess (probably wrong)

Activision promised a COD game for Vita so Sony went and mentioned it at NGP unveil and at a ton kf events. Activision decided against making COD for whatever reason. Sony didnt want it to look like they lied for the last year, so got Nihilistic to make the game at the last minute.

Ridley327

So a game that was announced 18 months ago was only really worked on for 5 months?
Why?

The number of Vita-savvy developers that could feasibly work on a COD title is very small; Zipper would have been the only other choice, and that obviously wasn't going to happen once Sony shuttered them. Enter Nihilistic, who not only have experience working on the hardware, but they already had an engine in place that would suit the needs of a first person shooter.

Mikor

Offline content you play by yourself is totally different from single player content guys!

Pretty sure what he means is that there's no traditional campaign, but yeah.

heard this months ago.

I really do hope there is a follow up but I don't think Activision gives a fuck. They had nearly 2 full years to do it internally since they announce COD for the NGP and they didnt do anything and we got this slapped together 5 month project from a C tier team and that only got released to fulfil some contact Sony and Activison signed.

Ridley327

Sony loves to announce logos?

sony-e309-keynote-0901-rm-eng.jpg

NEVER FORGET

Massa

Why?

Development started at Activision before Nihilistic was contracted. They scraped everything except the cutscenes.

Hi there Lijik, how you doing today?

I'm saying this game doesn't even have a single player campaign.

My guess (probably wrong)

Activision promised a COD game for Vita so Sony went and mentioned it at NGP unveil and at a ton kf events. Activision decided against making COD for whatever reason. Sony didnt want it to look like they lied for the last year, so got Nihilistic to make the game at the last minute.

That is almost certainly what happened

Lijik

Hi there Lijik, how you doing today?

I'm saying this game doesn't even have a single player campaign.

Hi, I'm doing well!
I'm saying making some weird semantic distinction between "Single Player" and "Offline" is a totally awkward and disingenuous way to make that argument

Top Bottom