• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon calls the Wii U "a Wii add-on".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
LNwithJF.jpg

It's video game week on Fallon and for tonight's episode, Reggie Fils-Aime will be on showing off the Wii U. During the start of the show, Fallon basically called the Wii U an add-on to the Wii. Video of the episode should be up soon.

How much of a problem do you guys think the name "Wii U" will have on Nintendo? There's still many people that are confused by the Wii U and think that it's just an add on. It doesn't help when people on big networks & websites state the same.

EDIT:

Beginning of last night's episode:
Uploaded the clip of Fallon calling it an addon here (temporarily): https://www.dropbox.com/s/v99rhmt6zd4q64p/Fallon-WiiU.m4v

Wii U demo (about 30 minutes after what Fallon said in the beginning of the show):
Video of the demo with Reggie calling it a system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYL-f48xoU

DR2K

Banned
Wii is going to crash and burn like the 3DS did initially and for the same damn reason. people will just buy the non tablet version in stead.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If Nintendo still has to correct people after E3 that the Wii U is not an add-on but a new console, there is a problem. It is very real, and it's a big one.

Rename the goddamn thing, Nintendo. You still have time.

Effect

It's their own fault in the end. They are the ones refusing to talk about the console itself, colored it white, named the system Wii U, and keep focusing on the controller only.

Rename the system. Reshape the console hardware and make sure you only launch it in black. Problem fixed.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Totally expected. It's a legitimate problem and has been since last year. 3DS had the same exact issue and Nintendo has been going out of their way to do the same exact thing Wii U ever since it was revealed.

Ryoku

Guys. Reggie will be on the show tonight. Hopefully he'll correct him. Calm the fuck down--for now, at least.

EDIT: I see this is more of a discussion about the broader audience, and not specifically about the show. In that case, go on.

I do agree that Nintendo is partly to blame on Wii U appearing to be an add-on to Wii. I seriously hope they make it absolutely clear.

Derrick01

Banned
Nintendo deserves any damage done by this confusion as they didn't learn the lesson with 3DS. Name it Wii 2 or something new, just not that.

How do the Nintendo guys there NOT prep Fallon to make sure not to make this very easy to make mistake? Are they willfully ignorant about this being a potential issue?

Kurod

Banned
I'm guessing a fair number of parents are going to get a bit of sticker shock when they go to buy their kid that new WiiU accessory for the holidays.

DanteFox

Yeah at this point it's time to abandon the name and come up with a new one that's impossible to confuse with the Wii.

Tookay

We've been saying this for a year. It's a huge branding problem.

Apple can afford to get clever with its branding. They're part of the cultural conversation and have enough clout to pull it off. Nintendo doesn't.

It's their own fault in the end. They are the ones refusing to talk about the console itself, colored it white, named the system Wii U, and keep focusing on the controller only.

Agreed 100%. I mean, obviously I don't think it's confusing but I'm a gamer nerd who keeps up with everything. Not everyone is.

Nintedo deserves the confusion people will have. I so wanted to fall in love with this system but like the Wii, Nintendo made sure that wasnt going to happen.

Bgamer90

Banned
Guys. Reggie will be on the show tonight. Hopefully he'll correct him. Calm the fuck down--for now, at least.

But the demo will more than likely be right before the music performance... aka the end of the show.

Many viewers could fall asleep before watching the Wii U demo. So yeah, it can definitely cause some possible problems.

Duxxy3

To the average person the console looks the same as the Wii. The only difference is the controller.

Nintendo ran into the same problem when they stupidly named their handheld 3ds and many people assumed it was just a ds with 3d.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's over, Nintendo is officially dead. Last nail in the coffin cast by none other than the Fallon.

Nintendo shares dropping like crazy, Microsoft looking to buy. It's all over guys, pack your bags.

Xyrmellon

Fallon is reportedly a big gamer, that's why he has these showcase weeks, so I'm suprised. Perhaps he misspoke?

bon

If Nintendo still has to correct people after E3 that the Wii U is not an add-on but a new console, there is a problem. It is very real, and it's a big one.

Rename the goddamn thing, Nintendo. You still have time.

But then Ubisoft would have to change the name of Zombiu. And that would be terrible.

Seik

Banned
50ttV.png

The 3DS situation all over again...people will think its just a controller just like they thought 3DS was just a DS with 3D.

They should have called it the Super Wii. At least it gives a hint that its superior to Wii and it sounds kinda nostalgic. :p

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
It's Nintendo's own fault. They should have seen this coming after the disaster that was HD-DVD and the more recent 3DS. Names that imply an incremental upgrade and don't clearly usher in a brand new generation of technology are doomed to cause mass confusion amongst the public that doesn't follow announcements with baited breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom