• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
h3h

I could never get the mouse to work right in Dead Space 1. DS2 was fine, but DS1 is the only game where I've ever purposefully used a gamepad on PC when a mouse/kb would have been much better. Fortunately that game is fairly slow-paced.
You had to do something like force Vsync via a Control Panel and it was fine.

So why even port it to PC to begin with? The whole reason we wanted it on PC was to experience the game with 60 FPS and higher resolution.

So we're finally all but rid of GFWL and then there's this... man, I feel really sorry for From that they're met with negativity at every turn despite trying to do what their fans want, but this is really just ridiculous.

The most disheartening thing to my ears is the comments about mouse + keyboard, I bet their own programmers are using Realforce's and Filco's, and they go and do a thing like that.

jett

D-Member
I have to chalk up the comment about resolution to complete ignorance of PC gaming. The PS360 versions are sub-hd. Sub-HD. Not even 720p. It's inconceivable to me that they'd lock the res to 1024x720.

Alex

Even if they locked this stuff someone would probably crack it open within fifteen minutes. I'm still,going to play wait and see, though.

Zeliard

So we're finally all but rid of GFWL and then there's this... man, I feel really sorry for From that they're met with negativity at every turn despite trying to do what their fans want, but this is really just ridiculous.

I dunno if we're rid of GFWL at all.

Miyazaki: That was completely the decision of Namco Bandai. However, while for now we’ve only announced support for Games For Windows Live, that’s still to be determined—we might work with Steam as well. We don’t know yet.

Remains to be seen if he's only talking about distribution methods or the actual API. People don't just want Steam, they want Steamworks and no GFWL at all, but that may get lost in translation (or may simply not be feasible at this stage). There are many GFWL games on Steam so I dunno if they really got the right message.

Cry or smile? That's the real question :3

futurama_snu_snuezln6.gif

epmode

Even if they locked this stuff someone would probably crack it open within fifteen minutes.
This isn't always possible.

But isn't Dark Souls running on the same engine used in the Dirt games? Those have some excellent PC ports so maybe!

I think they are trying to not screw over PS360 users, but their intentions are completely misdirected. They need to realise that alot of PS360 users who love this game, also own good PCs and would be willing to get a version that offered much higher resolutions and frame rate

This all comes from a misunderstanding of the PC market, it would be good if they had an American producer to work with them

gogogow

I have to chalk up the comment about resolution to complete ignorance of PC gaming. The PS360 versions are sub-hd. Sub-HD. Not even 720p. It's inconceivable to me that they'd lock the res to 1024x720.

Had no idea the game was sub-hd, haven't played the game yet. That's dissapointing, considering Demon's Souls was native res.

SparkTR

I take it there were some communication or terminology errors with that interview. Regardless they're sabotaging the success of their own product, not something you want to do with your pre-release marketing efforts.

I can somewhat excuse the 30fps lock (though it isn't ideal), but to the people defending the supposed resolution lock, I don't think you understand how terrible it would look on a 2560x1440 screen for example. It would literally be a blurry mess if it used the same res as the console versions on high resolution monitors.

Zomba13

I think they're just making sure nobody begs them for a PC version of their games ever again.

It will probably save them money in the long run.

:( I was hyped for this too, even with GFWL. I guess I'll either not get it or hope some reallly cool guys fix it. I mean, people have managed to get Sonic Unleashed levels into the PC version of that game, people should be able to unlock frame-rate and res pretty easily right?

Emitan

I think they are trying to not screw over PS360 users, but their intentions are completely misdirected. They need to realise that alot of PS360 users who love this game, also own good PCs and would be willing to get a version that offered much higher resolutions and frame rate

This all comes from a misunderstanding of the PC market, it would be good if they had an American producer to work with them

I can understand some misunderstands from some of the team, but when you're in charge of the project you should probably know something about your target market. Everything the guy says is confusing, not because of translation but because of how patently insane it is. Locked resolutions? This isn't the 90s!!

epmode

I can somewhat excuse the 30fps lock (though it isn't ideal), but to the people defending the supposed resolution lock, I don't think you understand how terrible it would look on a 2560x1440. It would literally be a blurry mess if it used the same res as the console versions on high resolution monitors.
Not true. 720p is a perfect multiple of your monitor's resolution so it'll be very sharp. ..just with pixels 4 times bigger than normal.

jett

D-Member
I can understand some misunderstands from some of the team, but when you're in charge of the project you should probably know something about your target market. Everything the guy says is confusing, not because of translation but because of how patently insane it is. Locked resolutions? This isn't the 90s!!

When's the last time a 3D PC game didn't let you change resolutions? Has there ever been such a time?

What's going to happen is that I'm going to sell my Dark Souls 360 version, and get the pc version when the game goes on sale. Their words are clearly "basic" port so they deserve a basic payment too given that I already gave them money for the 360 version.

DTKT

I wonder if this is a consequence of Namco having no clue about the PC market or just not caring enough about the version.

Alex

Haha you pc "gamers" are a real hoot.

Most of us pc fans also have consoles.

But yeah, what a non fan he must be for wanting the game to not dip down to single digit FPS. If only he could be a tru g4m3r. Let's order him some man child esque shirts to help him along his way.

epmode

Eh...no it won't, it's gonna look terrible if it's not native.
Trust me, I have a similar monitor. 2560x1600. When I run stuff at 1280x800 (exactly half of my native resolution), there is no blurring whatsoever. This is the same reason that Apple jumped from 1024x768 to 2048x1536 for the iPad 3: Perfect scaling for older applications

It won't look as sharp as it could, obviously, but it won't look like the blurry mess that you get when scaling other resolutions.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Funny how enjoyable this game is despite technical setbacks, but even with some improvements PC gamers are all "no sale!"

Arotrias armour looks nerdy. Other armour looks like those green things from Zelda games.

I wonder if this comes to consoles if it will include some balance changes.

I don't exactly have high expectations of Japanese producers looking outside of their bubble

Unless he has great English skills it would be hard enough to investigate and understand the needs of the Western market without a good American / Western producer on board

jett

D-Member
I wonder if this is a consequence of Namco having no clue about the PC market or just not caring enough about the version.

It's probably the Dark Souls team being completely oblivious. Whining, bitching and moaning got you this port master race, maybe some more of that will get you a better port. :p

Seconded.

Third. I was going to buy this game 3 times over for myself and 2 friends who are new to the franchise and thought they might or might not like the game. So to save them money if they didn't I had no problem buying this for them. Glad I get to save my money now! Great job Namco!

Derrick01

Banned
Most of us pc fans also have consoles.

But yeah, what a non fan he must be for wanting the game to not dip down to single digit FPS. If only he could be a tru g4m3r. Let's order him some man child esque shirts to help him along his way.

Everyone knows the lower the framerate, the more cinematic your game feels.

gdt

Ummm....we need to talk to western support director or something. Namco must've put someone who knows about PC gaming somewhere to assist, right?

It reads like he has no idea what he's talking about, in regards to the platform. I'll chalk it up to that, but as it reads, it's fucking terrible.

I have a feeling this will be a horrendous port. Possibly running even worse than the console versions.

Still, PC only people, BUY IT. Hopefully.

Kusagari

lmao at this debacle. You have a studio that has no idea what PC gaming even is matched up with a Japanese publisher who likes to think they do, but really doesn't.

I'm amazed people thought this wasn't going to be a disaster.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Funny how enjoyable this game is despite technical setbacks, but even with some improvements PC gamers are all "no sale!"

Sorry, as a PC gamer, I have certain standards. If they aren't met, I don't buy. All there is to it. I've played and beaten this game before, but I also wanted a better experience. PC can provide that, but it seems FROM can not. Tough shit.

Mxrz

This game doesn't suck, you know? Maybe worth remembering that there was a reason everyone wanted it on the PC (and 360, etc.) Technical snafu's aside. Anyway. If this bombs, hopefully it'll be on Namco's head, and not affect From.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Still, PC only people, BUY IT. Hopefully.

But it's not going to be 30xAA and 150FPS, no sale!!!

Sorry, as a PC gamer, I have certain standards. If they aren't met, I don't buy. All there is to it. I've played and beaten this game before, but I also wanted a better experience. PC can provide that, but it seems FROM can not. Tough shit.

I understand, it's just clear that an "enjoyable game" isn't more important in your list of standards "technical performance".

Glass Rebel

I just want to forget about this for now. It's just gonna be a bigger surprise when it hits in August and actually is a good port :)

Oh who the fuck am I kidding.

epmode

It appears that people in this thread are not aware that a great deal of the people hoping for a PC port already own the console version, myself included.

Emitan

But it's not going to be 30xAA and 150FPS, no sale!!!

I understand, it's just clear that an "enjoyable game" isn't more important in your list of standards "technical performance".

He already beat the game. Why would he buy a version that runs at basically the same performance?

ArjanN

Meh, lot of rage in here for what I consider a somewhat ambiguous interview. I don't think they've even really nailed down the technical aspects yet.

Wait and see IMO, there's bound to be more info in the coming months.

lmao at this debacle. You have a studio that has no idea what PC gaming even is matched up with a Japanese publisher who likes to think they do, but really doesn't.

I'm amazed people thought this wasn't going to be a disaster.

and console owners who don't understand what's happening slinging at pc gamers who don't want to support a crappy effort at a cash in, when namco won't deserve a penny if this is as bad as it sounds.

we're in the eye of the shiticane

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
It appears that people in this thread are not aware that a great deal of the people hoping for a PC port already own the console version, myself included.
I already own the console version. I will own the PC version. More Dark Souls any chance I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom