• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From their website:

JPS Website said:
Boy, do we wish we could talk about what we're working on. Soon… Soon…

To quote Warren: "When we DO announce what we're doing, half the world's going to think we're crazy and half the world's going to think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread–how great is that?!"
Well, this certainly fits.

HUELEN10

Wait a sec... What if this is like A Boy & His Blob or Wario Land Shake? Aka a beautiful sidescroller?

Does it have a shot, or am I just dreaming?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
cuyahoga said:
beach_attack.jpg
Oh my god, it's DIP!

gerg

Can't we just enjoy the fact that this is a really creative take on a completely unique IP, regardless of whatever platform it's on?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HUELEN10 said:
Wait a sec... What if this is like A Boy & His Blob or Wario Land Shake? Aka a beautiful sidescroller?

Wario Land Shake really didn't sell that great, and A Boy & His Blob probably won't sell that well either.

My guess would be it's 3D if for no other reason than market forces.

mujun

If the game itself matches up to the concept art then this will be the game that finally forces me to crumble and pick up a Wii.

AniHawk

Sinatar said:
Well hopefully there will be a PC version. Don't ignore your roots Warren, I don't want to fucking waggle.

Adapt or die.

gerg said:
Can't we just enjoy the fact that this is a really creative take on a completely unique IP, regardless of whatever platform it's on?

No, if it's on the Wii it will be bad and you should feel bad.

Wario Land Shake really didn't sell that great, and A Boy & His Blob probably won't sell that well either.

My guess would be it's 3D if for no other reason than market forces.

I'd welcome a 3D platformer, actually. Strangely enough we don't have too many of those these days. I'm not complaining since the 2D rebirth has been quite awesome.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
HUELEN10 said:

Warren Spector making a side scroller? I really doubt it.

Shiggy

cuyahoga said:
Your sources please? No offense, but Google says your claims are absolutely specious.
I don't have it here right now. Try this in Google: "junction point studios" site:linkedin.com wii
There you should find your confirmation.

Ulairi

Banned
Sinatar said:
Well hopefully there will be a PC version. Don't ignore your roots Warren, I don't want to fucking waggle.

You'll need to accept the Waggle because I bet you that this game is leading on the Wii.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a sidescroller would be a waste of an incredibly compelling world, in my opinion

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Shiggy said:
I don't have it here right now. Try this in Google: "junction point studios" site:linkedin.com wii
There you should find your confirmation.
Alright. http://www.tonypulham.com/Pages/resume.html
Junction Point/Disney Interactive Studios, Hollywood, CA June 2009 - Present

Development/Concept Artist
"Epic Mickey"(Wii Video Game)

THIS IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT! YAY!

AniHawk

Sadist said:
I still can't believe Disney actually approved of this, wow. That's pretty ballsy, for Disney I mean.

Isn't Lasseter basically the one in charge now? Aside from butchering American Dog and approving Cars 2, he's been pretty on the ball.

clockpunk

I don't know why the Steampunk aestheti has risen in popularity lately, but I for one am glad of it!

This game looks VERY interesting. I hope it comes into fruitition.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
HUELEN10 said:
tomorrowland-filtered.jpg

Wait a sec, WAIT A SEC!

Is that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on the rocket?!?!?!?!?!?!?
9kxpvd.gif

2zrm3no.jpg

OMG IT IS!

Licensed game of the forever!
I agree with the sentiment expressed above.

AniHawk said:
Isn't Lasseter basically the one in charge now? Aside from butchering American Dog and approving Cars 2, he's been pretty on the ball.
Isn't Chris Sanders now doing a comic strip with his canned characters?

Sadist

AniHawk said:
If this is true, explains a lot then.

GhaleonQ

AniHawk follows animation news? Cool. Of course, if you were Kricfalusi, that would make a lot of sense...

cuyahoga said:
Isn't Chris Sanders now doing a comic strip with his canned characters?

Was. Now, he's doing a movie. Hopefully, he gets to take down Lasseter in a film 1 day, and that would be an awesome way to do it. (I say this as someone who admired Lilo And Stitch, but hated it.)

HUELEN10 said:
I sadly only own 2.
:(
I know of 6 at least hat I need to buy!

*shakes head* SHAME.

cuyahoga

GhaleonQ said:
Was. Now, he's doing a movie. Hopefully, he gets to take down Lasseter in a film 1 day, and that would be an awesome way to do it. (I say this as someone who admired Lilo And Stitch, but hated it.)
A movie based on the characters? Lasseter was already lampooned in Bee Movie, FWIW.

GhaleonQ

cuyahoga said:
A movie based on the characters? Lasseter was already lampooned in Bee Movie, FWIW.

Oh, no (legal troubles?), but it would be fun to see the original designs find their way into a cameo appearance in some other feature. And I did hear the Bee Movie thing.

Sadist

gerg said:
Lasseter has been the head of Disney for some time now. One of the best things to happen to the company, afaic.
Gotta be honest here, I never followed Disney that much, I read it in a paper once. I already forget about it though. Can't even remember the last Disney movie I saw :p

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
cuyahoga said:
I wouldn't have thought they would have released a PG-13-rated Pirates of the Carribean under the Disney label, but they did.

Oh, that's really something far different. This is a weird, overly dark take on classic animated characters -- I just don't see Disney letting it out the gate like THIS, unless something radically changes OR...

well, let me rephrase that, I COULD see someone giving this the okay depending upon the underlying story, but I find it highly unlikely that these pieces of art would represent the majority or main theme of the game.

JMC

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Oh, that's really something far different. This is a weird, overly dark take on classic animated characters -- I just don't see Disney letting it out the gate like THIS, unless something radically changes OR...

well, let me rephrase that, I COULD see someone giving this the okay depending upon the underlying story, but I find it highly unlikely that these pieces of art would represent the majority or main theme of the game.

These are bad thoughts. :(

HUELEN10

DavidDayton said:

Epic Mickey isn't overly dark, or at least I don't see it as dark, it is awesome, with a dash of grim on the side!

THIS is dark!
27y4vad.jpg

Sykes gave me nightmares for weeks!
2ecls9h.gif

Let's not forget Chernabog!

Whether or not this project is dark is up to you. Regardless, Disney has done dark in the past, and they can do it again. If this is dark, then I want this kind of dark!

Holy fuck, this some of the coolest shit I've seen, looks like the darkest thing Disney has done since Fantasia. It looks like it's on the Wii so the vision may not be as fully realized as these concept pieces but I'm seriously hyped.

Amalthea

Banned
After seeing all those artworks I thought about Naoto Oshimas Sonic designs wich resembled those old cartoons pretty much.

So I came up with this:

b87r7n.jpg

HUELEN10

Tyrant_Onion said:
After seeing all those artworks I thought about Naoto Oshimas Sonic designs wich resembled those old cartoons pretty much.

So I came up with this:

b87r7n.jpg
Found these on an imageboard a while back...
2whpoj7.png

Speedy The Hedgehog, Miles The Fox, & Fisticuffs The Echidna. Fun times.
2hovho5.png

That old Prospector Ivo is up to no good again!

Whimsical Phil said:
Oh my god, it's DIP!

:lol I thought the same thing when I saw that! This really could be the best thing to happen to classical cartoons since RR.

By the way, I saved a screen cap of the website in case this sudden leak causes that resume to disappear.

wcdagi.jpg

Out of curiosity GAF, what references would you like to see in the game?
I would KILL for this, my favorite old short!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zh43KKl17Y&mt=18

Love the dance scene with Minnie, it's awesome, but so is the fail ostrich-thing.

Fantasia is a MUST in my opinion. As far as stuff from the very early days though, I've always been fond of Skeleton Dance.

cuyahoga

This is almost like that Beatles Rock Band trailer in how many references are loaded here.

Danielsan

HUELEN10 said:
Epic Mickey isn't overly dark, or at least I don't see it as dark, it is awesome, with a dash of grim on the side!

THIS is dark!
27y4vad.jpg

Sykes gave me nightmares for weeks!
2ecls9h.gif

Let's not forget Chernabog!

Whether or not this project is dark is up to you. Regardless, Disney has done dark in the past, and they can do it again. If this is dark, then I want this kind of dark!
Old Disney films were pretty messed up and dark.
I remember some pretty dark scenes from the Rescuers.

ThatGuy

Noooooooooooo, why this has to be on Wii, a platform which is damn limited. :/ Welcome Disney game that looks like some mid life cycle PS2 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom