• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.O.O.M

Are some of you fucking real now? 4.5-5.5 GB will be plenty going forward. It's like this is the first console cycle some of you have seen or something

If they had 4gb games would still be fine but it would have made more headaches to the people who are currently adjusting freebsd for their purposes.

Do you know which game currently on the PC market uses the most ram right now and if so how much does it use?

Are some of you fucking real now? 4.5-5.5 GB will be plenty going forward. It's like this is the first console cycle some of you have seen or something

PS4 will have amazing games as will Xbox One. Honestly sometimes I think some folk on here are far too concerned what others think about their preferences when the reality is no one gives a shit

Yes? And it has held back the industry for far too long.

Devs literally having to cut things like weapon holstering because they had no ram left. Or smaller maps. Gimped textures. Endless loading screens and loading cells. etc etc etc.

This provides me laughs when combined with someone carrying something lnintendo related while he tries to blame sony for developers essentially wanting to port over everything.

adixon

So is this basically what happens when one side of the console war doesn't have bad news for a few months? Previously reliable sites start jumping the shark and making stuff up? Weird to watch it unfold.

PS4 will have amazing games as will Xbox One. Honestly sometimes I think some folk on here are far too concerned what others think about their preferences when the reality is no one gives a shit

Yeah, they'll be playing Killzone: SF or Infamous: SS and thinking "Oh, I wish this used 1GB more RAM"

Shin

Banned
Yes. I'll back up their source on this one.

Oh, so it's hereby confirmed to be 6GB for games 2GB reserved for the OS?
Rejoice! That's well balanced and should be enough for everything they want or will want to do in the future.

So DDR3 is crappy ram now? Man, this is getting ridiculous, really... I don't say DDR3 is as good as GDDR5 for games but the comparison itself is invalid as it does not translate 1:1 on consoles. Accept this or don't.

untitled-13rxac.gif

adixon

Even if it was 4 or 5 it would still out power Microsofts solution.

Yes, but 6 gigs would pretty clearly show that DF is willing to publish anything at this point, wouldn't it? Or at least that they're really stretching for negatives.

I'm sort of more interested in seeing who is wrong in this case than I am in the tech specs, since one more gig of RAM over the xbox is probably not going to make any difference. (It probably won't even be used in multiplats.)

eorl

Banned
Still getting quality games on both systems? Check.

Still going to see both consoles do well enough? Check.

Oh wait, what was wrong?

Ryu1999

Yes, but 6 gigs would pretty clearly show that DF is willing to publish anything at this point, wouldn't it? Or at least that they're really stretching for negatives.

I'm sort of more interested in seeing who is wrong in this case than I am in the tech specs, since one more gig of RAM over the xbox is probably not going to make any difference. (It probably won't even be used in multiplats.)

That's still a 20% difference...but yeah, I'm pretty sure most multiplat developers will be too lazy to really utilize it.

Respawn

Banned
Yes, but 6 gigs would pretty clearly show that DF is willing to publish anything at this point, wouldn't it?

If the devs can use the ram they will. Yeah and I'm not sure what's going on with DF lately.

c0de

Do you know which game currently on the PC market uses the most ram right now and if so how much does it use?

No but this doesn't really translate to consoles as the games are "optimized" in a more general way because of the variety of hardware. I quitted gaming on PC a good while ago (if you don't count running emulators as gaming on PC).

Almighty

Two to three gigs reserved for the OS huh. Hopefully that means I no longer have to hear about how consoles can do more then more powerful PCs because they have no OS overhead. Both the One and the Ps4 sound like they have OS overhead to me.

System wars aside I am kind of disappointed by this news. Nothing too major, but I was looking forward to seeing games use the rumored(at the time) 7 gigs the Ps4 would give them.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
2 GB for the OS is a lot more reasonable if it's cram packed with always running, rich software. It's still high, but believable. 3 GB for Windows 8 HTPCs that have 2 apps open isn't believable.

Cidd

I think it's about time Sony share a bit more info on the PS4's OS, I'm not worried about the games side of things.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
2 GB for the OS is a lot more reasonable if it's cram packed with always running, rich software. It's still high, but believable. 3 GB for Windows 8 HTPCs that have 2 apps open isn't believable.

People have mentioned this in the thread already but basically they want a bit of overhead for the OS starting out so they don't end up in another PS3-like situation with little to no RAM to add important or popular features. That said, you can also expect the current OS footprint to shrink over time, much as it has with the PS3 as well.

nib95

Banned
People have mentioned this in the thread already but basically they want a bit of overhead for the OS starting out so they don't end up in another PS3-like situation with little to no RAM to add important or popular features. That said, you can also expect the current OS footprint to shrink over time, much as it has with the PS3 as well.

Sounds good.

Respawn

Banned

yup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom